Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
There's a trick to putting on car tires that involves spraying gasoline or starter fluid onto the tire, then lighting it so the pressure difference causes the tire to pop into place. Does that work on bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yes, but don't. A bike tire has a lot less volume than a car tire, and therefore a much smaller tolerance for explosions before it fails.

Also it's bad for the tire.

edit: also the exploding starter fluid trick is only good for seating beads. It's not going to help pop a bead over the wheel to begin with, which was Groda's (and other people's) issue. Also, it's incompatible with inner tubes.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 17, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

edit: also the exploding starter fluid trick is only good for seating beads.
This. The 'splodey trick is only good when you've thrown a bead far away from normal infrastructure and you need to reseat the tubeless bead to get off the trail.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

evil_bunnY posted:

This. The 'splodey trick is only good when you've thrown a bead far away from normal infrastructure and you need to reseat the tubeless bead to get off the trail.

I only ever heard it being used in endurance rally driving with cars in extreme temperatures where you don’t want to be outside in the sun/cold for long.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's also used in jeeps and trucks with big offroad tires that run at low pressures. If you've lost your bead out in the middle of nowhere, there are usually several ways to get going again. Causing a small explosion might be the fastest sometimes, and depending on what you've got with you, it might be the only option. It's usually not the best option.

I'm going to make an official TGO rule: starting a wildfire is a bannable offense. :colbert:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I only ever heard it being used in endurance rally driving with cars in extreme temperatures where you don’t want to be outside in the sun/cold for long.
Yeah I meant the crawler/rally trail. Don't loving do it to an MTB tire/rim, that's what inflators are for (carry 2 cartridges).

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

A Marathon Plus will fully gently caress that Wish.com nonsense into the recycle bin.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

OK so today I learned what a "Dike Hand" is

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The best is putting Marathons on the Brompton’s 16” wheels.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
One of the benefits of running 35 and wider, I can roll most tires on with my hands.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a trick to putting on car tires that involves spraying gasoline or starter fluid onto the tire, then lighting it so the pressure difference causes the tire to pop into place. Does that work on bikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCGnC21g0hc

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Anybody got a recommendation for puncture-resistant commuter tires that come in 27x1 1/4 (current tires are 32-630)? I found the Panaracer Paselas but they're not available: https://www.panaracerusa.com/collections/commuter-city/products/paselapro-a?variant=34487894999202

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Anybody got a recommendation for puncture-resistant commuter tires that come in 27x1 1/4 (current tires are 32-630)? I found the Panaracer Paselas but they're not available: https://www.panaracerusa.com/collections/commuter-city/products/paselapro-a?variant=34487894999202

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_420

If you can fit 40s the Marathon Plus is also available.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Final(?) wave of adjustments to the baby seat bike --

added a lil T-bar handle for the babber to hold onto and hopefully feel safer, instead of touching my butt sometimes when he's jolted.

The bolts rub a bit on my legs, so I'll be trying to get some shorter bolts once I have the position iorned out.
Originally, the bar was slanted back more, but I put a dimple on the bar and made it more square to give the babb more space, though it does end up barely touching my butt.

That recovered SMP saddle is a bit unpadded for random hop on/off riding, but leaving it for now.

Basket and bars:

Wald 1392 and Carver MyTi 30deg sweep bars. The fit was ok, but the stock Trek grips were way too hard, so switched to the Ergon GP1s to see what the fuss was about. Liking them alright, but kinda wish they were lock-on on both ends. The old grips I recycled onto the T-bar above, which had typically foul smelling plastic dealies.
The red in the upper corner of the basket is from a dead twisty tie rear light. The rubberization is just to pad against the car while I'm loading the bike parked behind the car in our parking spot.

This really ties it together:

Some knockoff of the Velo-Orange defloppinator. Had to use a parts bin long bolt to handle the extra thickness of the bracket at the back of the fork crown. Lucky I had one on hand.
The inner tube wrap was there first to guard against the basket struts slamming into the DT as the fork flopped all the way over.
But it was pretty much in the right position to mount the base of the defloppinator. Not too much tension -- a full basket will still flop over in the babb is in the back lifting the fork up, but it won't be as bad. Low speed maneuvering is noticeably less twitchy with the centering force provided, though still a bit of a chore given how floppy the stepthrough frame is.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 3, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're like the perfect target for a Tern HSD.

kimbo305 posted:

added a lil T-bar handle for the babber to hold onto and hopefully feel safer, instead of touching my butt sometimes when he's jolted.

Is that kink not making the entire tube way too weak?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How young is too young for a baby bike seat?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Most bike seat makers are going to design for 8 months + just because it’s going to be a pain to design for younger than that.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

How young is too young for a baby bike seat?
Not being able to hold their head up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Is that kink not making the entire tube way too weak?

I still takes quite a bit of effort for me to bend it a cm, so I don't think the babb would be able to force it much unless I just absolutely slammed on the brakes.
It looks pretty crimped from the photo, but there's still like a solid round sector underneath.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Uh, it's been a long time since I was in here, but just wanted to say thanks for finally having a good thread title

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had to give up road biking for a couple of days because neck soreness, better to go easy than get a full blown inflammation which isn't fun. rear end pain was pretty much absent but since all my other bikes have platform pedals I got a little sore in the legs from the attached shoes. I think "clipless" is a dumb way to decribe shoes that clip into pedals. Is there a better word?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Most bike seat makers are going to design for 8 months + just because it’s going to be a pain to design for younger than that.
It's not just that, I'd be very wary of transporting a kid who can't support their head when sitting upright.

We started our kids earlier, but in a front loaded cargo bike, in a car seat with a damping pad underneath.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 5, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Invalido posted:

I had to give up road biking for a couple of days because neck soreness, better to go easy than get a full blown inflammation which isn't fun. rear end pain was pretty much absent but since all my other bikes have platform pedals I got a little sore in the legs from the attached shoes. I think "clipless" is a dumb way to decribe shoes that clip into pedals. Is there a better word?

"Clips" refer to toe clips, the straps that go around your shoe on old timey bike pedals. Clipless pedals retain your foot without clips.

Of course, it doesn't help that you clip in to clipless pedals, but this is the world we live in. Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

evil_bunnY posted:

It's not just that, I'd be very wary of transporting a kid who can't support their head when sitting upright.

We started our kids earlier, but in a front loaded cargo bike, in a car seat with a damping pad underneath.

This makes sense. It looks like the rear-mounted seats generally recommend waiting until about 12 months. Depending on how things out, I might be in a different city and own a front loading cargo bike before any potential child reaches that age.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 4, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Transporting babies under a year is a much bigger logistics puzzle than anything else in my experience. You have to bring something for the kid to sleep in essentially, and that doesn't fit in the bike anyway. Also you have to get lucky if you want to get out between naps in for enough the for the baby not to fall asleep on the bike. I can't remember when we started using the bike seat, but probably around a year. It does help that we have a three wheeled monstrosity with seats in the front for short trips.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

Transporting babies under a year is a much bigger logistics puzzle than anything else in my experience. You have to bring something for the kid to sleep in essentially, and that doesn't fit in the bike anyway. Also you have to get lucky if you want to get out between naps in for enough the for the baby not to fall asleep on the bike. I can't remember when we started using the bike seat, but probably around a year. It does help that we have a three wheeled monstrosity with seats in the front for short trips.
Yeah when they're tiny a (convertible-to-stroller) trailer's actually easier logistics wise, but I loving hate riding with them. Our solution was a car seat base under the bullitt canopy (but the canopy fabric is a PoS) so I could just click the seat off the base and bring it indoors, or set the kid up indoors and just carry them to the bike already strapped in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

You're like the perfect target for a Tern HSD.

The GSD has been in the back of my mind for a while.
I skimmed Tern's catalog, and they don't seem to have non-powered variants for either the GSD or HSD, is that right?
I wonder if they did their market research and just know compact powered longtail is where they should stick.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah when they're tiny a (convertible-to-stroller) trailer's actually easier logistics wise, but I loving hate riding with them. Our solution was a car seat base under the bullitt canopy (but the canopy fabric is a PoS) so I could just click the seat off the base and bring it indoors, or set the kid up indoors and just carry them to the bike already strapped in.

Can you post an updated photo of what your Bullitt looks like after...3? years? I haven't kept track, of almost daily use, I'm genuinely curious how these things hold up as a replacement for a family car under actual conditions. Glossy marketing photos aren't very Real

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hey thread, so this is a kind of random bike commuting question: I self-publish children's picture books (for ages 2-6) and I asked my daughter (she's 4) last night what the next book should be about. She said "riding my bike" because we do a lot of family cycling. It surprised me, but her idea is great, because the default representation of daily transportation modes in kids books is getting into a car and driving places, or train or bus.

I've got some ideas already but I would be curious to see what you guys would want to see in a kids' book about bike commuting!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You gotta include at least one sick jump to make it realistic

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Leng posted:

She said "riding my bike" because we do a lot of family cycling. It surprised me, but her idea is great, because the default representation of daily transportation modes in kids books is getting into a car and driving places, or train or bus.
Maybe some reference to a bike bus/train instead of carpooling. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_bus

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The child immediately zooming off into the distance while the parents try to catch up, which is 100% a thing.

If it’s a modern book how about a page on the journey from bike seat, to bike trailer, to own bike? Working in a tandem or rickshaw to show the different shapes bikes come in would be fun as well

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Leng posted:

Hey thread, so this is a kind of random bike commuting question: I self-publish children's picture books (for ages 2-6) and I asked my daughter (she's 4) last night what the next book should be about. She said "riding my bike" because we do a lot of family cycling. It surprised me, but her idea is great, because the default representation of daily transportation modes in kids books is getting into a car and driving places, or train or bus.

I've got some ideas already but I would be curious to see what you guys would want to see in a kids' book about bike commuting!

Stopping on the way home to get flowers for someone special then riding carefully the rest of the way and running into another bike commuting friend and racing each other over a bridge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I was thinking something along the lines of different bikes and the people you see using them day-to-day, e.g.:
- Middle-aged lawyer wearing lycra on a roadie
- Businesswoman on an upright talking on her phone
- Parent kids off at school / buying groceries in a cargo bike
- turbo nerd on a recumbent

Maybe that's a little too low a reading level for your daughter.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You gotta include at least one sick jump to make it realistic

Mandatory.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of different bikes and the people you see using them day-to-day, e.g.:

Mandatory.

Is this the book of negative stereotypes? Seems weird.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think a kid would be interested in all the things you see and experience during a bike ride that you don't during a car ride. Like nodding at another cyclist, stopping for some geese in the path, meeting people at an intersection, hurrying to beat the rain, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Leng posted:

Some reassurance or guidance about cycling in traffic / feeling more exposed to cars?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think a kid would be interested in all the things you see and experience during a bike ride that you don't during a car ride. Like nodding at another cyclist, stopping for some geese in the path, meeting people at an intersection, hurrying to beat the rain, etc.

You could add Drama! and realty by having to ride really fast past the hissy geese before they chase you but phew! We were too fast for them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Mandatory.

If you do this, be sure to include the old lady on the e-bike going 45kmph.

Also maybe cover giving signals to others, like hold arm out for turn, up for turn. And looking over your shoulder. Could do some fun accident drawings of a bunch of bikes crashing into the moron in front who forgot to signal.

Also remember to put helmets on everyone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yep, sorry, that was a weak attempt at humor mixed with actual ideas and they both fell flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Knowing your co rider idiot types isn't all that bad an idea honestly. Like "guy who drives super slow but still must be in front of the line at a red light". I hate that guy, partly because he goes much slower and gets there as fast as I do. Just be sure to make it about idiot behaviour instead of stereotypes. But don't be afraid to make "guy who must use the left lane at all times" either British or a middle aged man either.