Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dabir posted:

there are no other Dreamcast games anyone cares about

I liked gunstar heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Dabir posted:

i will contend power stone is one of the best fighting games ever made.

jet grind radio ruled hard

the nfl game was fantastic

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nintendo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Splatoon is a spiritual Dreamcast game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I really wanted a Dreamcast for Christmas 99 and my parents did me a huge favor by not getting me one

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PC Engine was such a great console, a shame it never really took off in America

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

PC Engine was such a great console, a shame it never really took off in America

It probably would have if we liked anime in the 90s.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I bought a Dream Cast back in the day so I could practice Marvel VS Capcom 2 at home. Perfect arcade port. Every other console that got a port of MvC 2 wasn't as good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Pros: I had MvC2, SFIII, Project Justice and Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, all arcade machines that we also had at the mall. Perfect for training.

Cons: Only had a Dreamcast controller :negative:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have many fond memories of going straight from school to a friend's basement to have a Capcom vs SNK 2 tournament every day

Best fighting game of all time, which I can say with absolute certainty as I stopped playing fighting games after that

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

We had a dreamcast when I was in highschool.

I didn't play it at all though, I think all we had was the first SSX game.

It sure was a console that existed. How many people who go nuts for it actually had one I wonder?

I tried for weeks to rent one from my local Blockbuster, but it was out for repairs. When it finally came back in, I asked again to rent it.

They offered to just sell it to me instead for like... 80 bucks. I took it. I only got three games for it ever: Sonic Adventure 1&2 and Ecco Defender of the Future.

I only beat Sonic Adventure.

Oddly I never noticed the button layout on the thing was the same as the Xbox controller. The buttons being mirrored from Nintendo layout never once bothered me while playing Sonic, but using an Xbox controller to play PC games fucks with my brain something fierce. Maybe Sonic didn't have too may on-screen button prompts, or they only showed the button color rather than the letter?

Either way, it was a strange system.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the dreamcast is and was perfect

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

bowmore posted:

This man speaks the truth

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dabir posted:

sonic adventure

why

Dabir posted:

phantasy star online

why

Dabir posted:

sonic adventure 2

why

Dabir posted:

Not even Shenmue, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Marvel vs Capcom, Crazy Taxi, Metropolis Street Racer...

bowmore posted:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
a lot of Xbox 0.5 Chat today

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

why

why

why
camera

camera

CAMERA

Alan_Shore posted:

Not even Shenmue
actual joke of a game

quote:

Power Stone
nope

quote:

Soul Calibur
the first one? nah

quote:

Skies of Arcadia
nope

quote:

Jet Set Radio
unfortunately that's a nope

quote:

Marvel vs Capcom
2, maybe

quote:

Crazy Taxi
apparently not

quote:

Metropolis Street Racer...
literally never heard of this

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

enojy posted:

There was only one fail and two lols about the Dreamcast. Of the three, one "lol" goes to Sonic Team for signing off on the Sonic Adventure voiceover. The remaining fail and lol go to the console's copy protection.

You probably don't remember the late 90s too well then. Sonic Adventure's voice work is definitely mockable but it's also easily one of the better dub works of the era (especially when you take out Metal Gear Solid which just shatters the grading curve).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time. I still have mine; traded in my N64 at Toys R Us to get it. Was fortunate to find out the model I got could play burnt games without any modding. Good times. It was the last console I owned before purchasing a Wii.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mega64 posted:

Maybe it was because I bought it used but the Dreamcast controller always felt cheap to me. Plus the grips were way too small, the controller just wasn't comfortable to hold. The controller looks like a toy and is probably my least favorite to use of a major console release from the Big 4.

nope, they felt that way day one. sega had no goddamn money at that point, the controller always felt like cheap garbage made by madcatz. the only official hardware i own that feels cheaper is the tg16 console.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

We had a dreamcast when I was in highschool.

I didn't play it at all though, I think all we had was the first SSX game.

It sure was a console that existed. How many people who go nuts for it actually had one I wonder?

i still have mine, it's a totally unremarkable system with a fuckin awful controller and most of its best games can be found elsewhere. the only reason to own one is chu chu rocket, aka the only good game yuji naka ever made.

teagone posted:

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time.

lmfao no it wasn't

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I am thinking about picking up SMT nocturne. The atmosphere looks intriguing and i like the idea of depressing pokemon in abandoned malls-

I have read a lot about how difficult it is. Im not too fussed about that but am I going to get absolute roid rage unless I am a jrpg wizz?

Also it looks quite...plain. like i said i am down for the bleak atmosphere but i am worried it could be super repetative...

Anyone here playing it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao no it wasn't

Just my opinion. It having a modem for online play and keyboard support was pretty radical during the pre-PS2 era. Also VGA support; I remember hooking my Dreamcast up to a PC monitor and being all :aaaaa: The VMUs were also a neat, if completely out there, idea; I loved how you could use the VMU to select your plays in NFL 2K. Also no other console had offered near perfect arcade ports at the time.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Science_enthusiast posted:

I am thinking about picking up SMT nocturne. The atmosphere looks intriguing and i like the idea of depressing pokemon in abandoned malls-

I have read a lot about how difficult it is. Im not too fussed about that but am I going to get absolute roid rage unless I am a jrpg wizz?

Also it looks quite...plain. like i said i am down for the bleak atmosphere but i am worried it could be super repetative...

Anyone here playing it?

Nocturne honestly isn't that bad on normal. I think the reason it gets such a reputation for difficulty is because you need to actually engage with the systems, ie pay attention to weaknesses/resistances and use buffs/debuffs. No amount of grinding will let you muscle past a boss.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by plain, but personally I think Nocturne has fantastic atmosphere and a great story.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I picked up Dicey Dungeons and think it's a blast so far
I'm only a few episodes in however
Highly recommended!!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
not enough people talking about e.g.g. elemental gimmick gear on dreamcast

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone here playing it?

It is hard but only because you can't smash faces blindly. You have to exploit enemy elemental weaknesses and there is no real way around it. The core system is about learning those weaknesses and then slamajamming bosses with demon spells.
It is bleak but charming, hollow feeling at times but that is on purpose. It's a game that will likely hook you right away or never at all.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dreamcast has the best version of the best video game ever made, THPS2.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Can anyone recommend a decent twitter/website for live coverage of the direct? The cell reception at my workplace is dogshit

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Opera posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent twitter/website for live coverage of the direct? The cell reception at my workplace is dogshit

Call in sick that day like a real Nintendo fan

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wario64 and Nibellion are pretty good about covering most of the main details and announcements in a single thread with screenshots.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

American McGay posted:

Wario64 and Nibellion are pretty good about covering most of the main details and announcements in a single thread with screenshots.

Sweet, thanks!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

It is hard but only because you can't smash faces blindly. You have to exploit enemy elemental weaknesses and there is no real way around it. The core system is about learning those weaknesses and then slamajamming bosses with demon spells.
It is bleak but charming, hollow feeling at times but that is on purpose. It's a game that will likely hook you right away or never at all.

I liked SMTIV, mechanically, though I never finished it. I got horribly lost on the world map. I get lost easily as it is. The world map being set up the way it is wasn't helpful to me at all. :(

I also adored Devil Survivor, which has similar mechanics.

Sounds like I would like Nocturne.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1402271517816377350

dynoma5
Jul 21, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

I liked SMTIV, mechanically, though I never finished it. I got horribly lost on the world map. I get lost easily as it is. The world map being set up the way it is wasn't helpful to me at all. :(

I also adored Devil Survivor, which has similar mechanics.

Sounds like I would like Nocturne.

The world map isn't as bad in this game. The NPCs pretty much tell you which direction you would have to go to progress so in that sense it's pretty straightforward compared to SMT IV. I didn't think this game is as difficult as it's touted to be on Normal. I honestly struggled a lot more in Devil Survivor than this game but I'm just bad with SRPG.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Anyone here playing it?

To someone not used to dungeon crawlers it can get repetitive. It doesn’t have the amount of exposition or cutscenes found in a normal jrpg. You really have to enjoy the combat and managing demon pokemon to get anything out of it. Most of your time will be spent planning how you want to level and fuse various demons together to get the skills needed to destroy the current dungeon/boss.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

someone click this and tell me what it says.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're thinking of the Wii Classic Controller.

ohhh that explains a lot

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Capcom stole a bunch of textures out of a lady's photography book for RE4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

b_d posted:

someone click this and tell me what it says.

ohhh that explains a lot

Capcom owes 12 million to a photographer they stole from

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

12 million dollars could buy her a lot of copies of Resident Evil 4 for the Nintendo Switch!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

After I had a stay in the hospital a few years ago, I sold a bunch of my Dreamcast games in order to get a little bit of extra money to pay the absurd amount of bills I had.

Today, I felt the urge to play Project Justice, and looking up, I can't get a copy anywhere cheaper than $500. I sold mine for $40 at the time, having paid $20 when it came out on launch.

Anyway that's my Dreamcast story, what a great system it was, but good luck finding any games for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That dang new switch os update got pulled cuz it knows too much about its big brother!