Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

Fall of Civilizations is amazing, though only drops a couple episodes a year, if that matter to you. They're all self contained though, so no worries about just subscribing and plowing through the back catalog, then waiting until something unexpected shows up in a few months.

This is an excellent one. I really like how in some of the episodes they recite poetry, etc. in the native tongues or music as it was most likely played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Doesn't Fall of Civilizations also have a YouTube version with pictures and stuff to go along with the audio? I know I've seen a few of them, so if they really do that for every episode I think I'd rather watch it there than podcast form.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I believe he mentions that, yes, though I haven't ever watched them. Given the production quality on the podcast, I can only assume it's quite good as well.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yep, the video quality is on par with the audio, adding subtly, but not distracting. The video versions come out some time well after the audio ones.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the recs. I forgot to include Fall of Civilizations in the list of things I'd tried. It's good, hope there's more soon.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Back in the day I was into Giant Bombcast, GFW Radio, and Idle Thumbs. What video game podcasts are good these days?

Castle Superbeast is a podcast done by two of the guys who remained friends after the Super Best Friends youtube channel broke up and is the most similar to Bombcast that I've listened to. It usually runs between 2 and 4 hours in length. Episodes typically start with intro banter, then a discussion about what each of them played or watched, followed by gaming/media news and finishing off with questions from listeners. The latest episode, 121, has indie developer DocSquiddy as a guest and they have a pretty good discussion about Days Gone and the death of Kentaro Miura.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really enjoyed the Finding Drago podcast and that episode of Reply All with the song and I'm thinking about them a lot. I guess I'm craving satisfying investigations?

Serial and S-Town also had these vibes despite vaguer conclusions. So maybe I just like a long form mystery, true crime optional.

Anyone have any recs along these lines? Just wanna get lost in something.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I tepidly suggest mystery show by starlee kine

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I think it's just going to be a short series but i'm finding Day X by the NYT pretty riveting so far, an investigation into Germany's little far-right problem

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

VagueRant posted:

I really enjoyed the Finding Drago podcast

Where is it available? All I come up with is Finding Desperado

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I tepidly suggest mystery show by starlee kine
Heard her on TAL so gave this a go and even a short bit in, this might scratch the itch a little. Cheers!

Snowy posted:

Where is it available? All I come up with is Finding Desperado
Finding Desperado is their "season 2" but I think they just renamed their original feed so it'll be the first seven or so eps?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

VagueRant posted:

Finding Desperado is their "season 2" but I think they just renamed their original feed so it'll be the first seven or so eps?

Ok I read your post on this one and I checked it out and binged both seasons, what a wild loving ride. I honestly thought it was a satire fake podcast for much of the first season because it was so ridiculous

Anyways I recommend both seasons of it, it’s a fun one

As for investigative shows not as funny but along the same lines maybe check out:

Ballad of billy balls
Death on Ice Valley
Have you seen this man?
The lady vanishes (I particularly like this one and hope they keep the investigation up covid put a wrench in it)
The Lighthouse
Missing in Alaska
Missing on 9/11

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 15, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Back in the day I was into Giant Bombcast, GFW Radio, and Idle Thumbs. What video game podcasts are good these days?

If you like RPGs, I recommend Axe of the Blood God. Kat and Nadia's voices may take some getting used to, but the interviews, news, and insights are great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I find most conspiracy/weird poo poo/cryptozoology podcasts to be either dry, too New York Comedian, or like 2006 era GBS, but Mystery Team Inc, is different. A couple of funny women talk about these things, and unsolved crimes, and have the right balance of incredulity and an open mind.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Chadzok posted:

I think it's just going to be a short series but i'm finding Day X by the NYT pretty riveting so far, an investigation into Germany's little far-right problem

This is an interesting show, if not very worrying. We’ve got a similar situation going on here in Belgium with a elite military dude stealing rocket launchers and other weapons at the base, boobytrapping his car, then disappearing in the forest. He wrote all sorts of letters threatening virologists. Was seen days before scouting the area of a top virologist (who has been living in hiding for more than a month now). And the extreme right doesn’t want him to be called a terrorist. gently caress, there was even a manifestation to support him.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Anything more like The Silt Verses, I am in Askew or Darkest night?

Basically weird takes/horror audio drama.

Also love knifepoint horror and I am out of episodes of Pseudopod.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Archive 81 will be right up your alley. The first season is slow but definitely stick it out, it makes everything that comes after it extremely worth it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I just finished the 4 part history of napalm on the Revisionist history podcast. Quite interesting to say the least. loving insane might be another way to put it.
The whole podcast is pretty good. It’s one of these podcasts I added a long time ago and then never listened to it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm conflicted on Malcolm Gladwell. On the one hand he's an absolutely masterful storyteller with infectious enthusiasm for his interests. On the other hand, he has a proven tendency to paint in overly broad strokes, jump to conclusions, and ignore evidence that contradicts his point. Then there's his latest book which basically uncritically, credulously fellates American military technology and doctrine.

But if he sticks to stuff like talking to Jack White about Elvis, he's great.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think what you're talking about is mostly symptomatic of a higher level issue: his "point" is glib and ted-talky-at-BEST, so even the best storytelling is going to just be tarps thrown over the "well, ackshually" scaffold. I don't think the dude has a soul or is genuinely curious about anything. The enthusiasm is fake.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there a gross hospital stories podcast? This won’t hurt a bit kinda had it covered, but their last output was over a year ago.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Kerbtree posted:

Is there a gross hospital stories podcast? This won’t hurt a bit kinda had it covered, but their last output was over a year ago.

Stat! Has some of that, though it feels like they're moving more to medical crime now.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Walton Simons posted:

Stat! Has some of that, though it feels like they're moving more to medical crime now.

Nice! Cheers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a show like Behind The Bastards but for cool, smart and nice people?

I need something uplifting and factual without being twee.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4QIpxfm2Q

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Trailblazers? To me it's a little too pro-corporate/pro-silicon valley, but YMMV: https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/perspectives/podcasts-trailblazers-s01-e01-disruption-entertainment-industry/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So after looking at the podcasts I listen to I realized that my genres seem to be 'people recapping things I've already seen' Sex Archie, Ballin' Out Super, Bizare Podcast: Dogs Must Die. And 'Friends bullshitting with each other for an hour' Retsutalk, Chipod Ironicast, Disc Only. Seems to be a running theme here.

So, does anyone else have any good recommendations? There're plenty of people doing podcasts but I have no idea how to sort through duplicates of stuff so I'd like some recommendations if possible. Any chance anyone knows about a good one on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you're willing to go through another round of dragon ball z, you should listen to all systems goku. Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Rychert from giant bomb go through the series as they watch it for the first time. It's very charming to hear their reactions to the insanity of that show

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Anyone familiar with Ologies? https://www.alieward.com/ologies

Got recommended to me re: asking scientists stupid things.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's OK. Often when I'm listening I think I'd prefer to just hear the expert lecture, but it's good to put on in the background sometimes. A lot of interesting people and disciplines on it.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Just started The Turning: The Sisters Who Left, about the women who left Mother Teresa’s order, the Missionaries of Charity. It’s pretty good so far, if you’re interested in religious/cult abuse.

JaneError fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 12, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

JaneError posted:

Just started The Turning: The Sisters Who Left, about the women who left Mother Teresa’s order, the Missionaries of Charity. It’s pretty good so far, if you’re interested in religious/cult abuse.

There's a whole lot of sexual abuse and the attitudes surrounding it that's really not surprising.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If you're willing to go through another round of dragon ball z, you should listen to all systems goku. Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Rychert from giant bomb go through the series as they watch it for the first time. It's very charming to hear their reactions to the insanity of that show

A fresh look at DbZ? Oh boy that oughta be good. I wonder if Tien getting his arm punched off will blue screen one of them.

Anyone got bad taste and know about any podcasts on CW shows? I'm looking for iZombie and Black Lightning specifically. People going over comic book interpretations of characters sounds kinda interesting.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is anyone doing anything like the old Robert Ashley podcast A Life Well Wasted - interviews with interesting game related people? Like...99 percent invisible or TAL but game related?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Mike and Tom Eat Snacks's feed just re-downloaded episode 100 from five years ago in my podcast app.

Back in June this tweet from someplace I've never heard of announced the show would be back in July

https://twitter.com/positivejampr/status/1400882165097799683?s=21

👀

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That would be great, but if Michael Ian Black is resurrecting one of his dead podcasts I'd prefer Topics.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
And yep, MATES is back with a new ep!

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm looking for podcasts like This American Life, Darknet Diaries, and Underunderstood. No particular subject, just slice of life style podcasts, internet mystery, and investigative.

I've already burned through Reply All's catalogue, and I tried Hidden Brain which was really interesting but leaned more into white noise that made me a little drowsy.

I'm not super interested in in depth modern politics podcasts about the USA, but I'm open to learn about other countries and cultures. I think I've listened to most of the top episodes of the first three podcasts I mentioned too, but there's still hundreds of episodes in that backlog so I'll take specific episodes of those too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

busalover posted:

Anyone familiar with Ologies? https://www.alieward.com/ologies

Got recommended to me re: asking scientists stupid things.

I really didn't like it. It seemed to be all about Alie Ward being fascinated, and not actually about the fascinating science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any good video game music podcasts?

I'd prefer something that isn't exclusively newer games, that does 8-bit and 16-bit games. If it also includes modern games, that's cool too. I'd like something that analyzes the songs or their composers and history, or the games they're in, but I'd also just like it to recommend me some game soundtracks I might not be aware of.