Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

I'd encourage caution with attributing alien origins to religion, as that is the bread and butter of the Ancient Aliens crowd, who love to take superficial readings of the religious stories of nonwhite peoples and attribute it to aliens. Not saying you are doing this just be aware of that line when treading in the space where religion and aliens begin to intersect.

With that in mind, there are very few biblical stories where a UFO/alien interpretation makes any sense, even on a surface level, with Ezekiel and his wheel probably being the most famous. But even those have much better readings within existing historical and cultural frameworks.

Just like Ancient Aliens, it only really works if you're not prepared to engage with the text in a critical fashion and aren't willing to examine it within the cultural context in which it was written.

That said, I do think it is interesting that a near-universal feature of religions worldwide is the physical reality of sapient nonhumans, and how they often end up a part of religions as a result of pre-existing folk belief (demons in Christianity, the Jinn in Islam, as examples).

They aren't a critical piece of the religion's overall theology, but they end up being included in various places clearly due to a ubiquitous belief from the peoples being converted, so a concept from outside l the religion gets brought inside it, and how that ends up being these nonhuman entities is something that probably does bear exploration.

You mean to tell me the modern english translation of a two thousand+ year old patchwork of documents can't be taken uncritically at face value???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If it was the apocalypse all the rich folks would be hopping on rockets to... get... off...

the..

oh gently caress

haha don't worry, none of our technology can get them anywhere to escape. forget hyperdrives, they can't even build a colony on another planet. you'd need some kind of tech way... ahead of what we... hmm.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i hope somebody sabotages his rocket

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wasn't there a conspiracy that there's a rich people mountain in like Maryland that they can all hide in

If seven eves was right and the moon blows up I wanna be one of the underwater future humans

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

You mean to tell me the modern english translation of a two thousand+ year old patchwork of documents can't be taken uncritically at face value???

and yet people still persist in doing exactly that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I suppose there would be a certain sick irony to the purpose of human existence explicitly being suffering though, rather than merely a condition of it, especially since I've always been attracted to Buddhism and Schopenhauer

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

wasn't there a conspiracy that there's a rich people mountain in like Maryland that they can all hide in

If seven eves was right and the moon blows up I wanna be one of the underwater future humans

they'd hold a lottery for who gets to go along with them as a slave

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

suddenly everyone is big into creamed corn

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

maryland has mountains now?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I suppose there would be a certain sick irony to the purpose of human existence explicitly being suffering though, rather than merely a condition of it, especially since I've always been attracted to Buddhism and Schopenhauer

if there’s advanced aliens with individuated consciousness similar to humans they’d likely have to have a similar understanding of the universe and it’s nature to that of certain forms of Buddhism that claim that self is illusory.

can’t reckon many other philosophies could sustain a culture of independent actors on the time scales necessary to defeat things like the speed of light.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

maryland has mountains now?

There's a part in the northwest that skirts the Alleghenies

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Are you thinking of the Greenbrier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greenbrier

Because technically that's in West Virginia. Ever since people found about the rich people bunker it's been assumed that they built a different one somewhere else, though, and I think there are also assumed to be bunkers for the other branches of government.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The cia is getting in on it
https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1402317371239538691

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1402254613676429314

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ive been in a few of these but they were all wrecked up, would love to get to go in a pristine one that was actually furnished. best treehouse ever.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This is why Jon Stewart retired...

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i'm dumb what is this account and how is it related to the cia

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to be Uplifted.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

pancake rabbit posted:

i'm dumb what is this account and how is it related to the cia

https://twitter.com/nwilliams030/status/1145699250736631808?s=21

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

A MIRACLE posted:

there’s a mountain with a vault filled with gold for the rich Mormons so I don’t see why others don’t have one

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
anyone near LA see a basilisk running through the sky?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hey gray trade you some loud for a ride

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Vomik posted:

anyone near LA see a basilisk running through the sky?

I’m in koreatown. what’s a basilisk lol

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

haha, cool cool cool

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m in koreatown. what’s a basilisk lol

not much what's a basilisk with you dog

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

broke: mark snow incorporating 40s ufo lore into the twin peaks canon

woke: david lynch incorporating transdimensional chimera beings traveling through trinity tests

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Where's the report hatman

hatman letting me down :colbert:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

woke: david lynch incorporating transdimensional chimera beings traveling through trinity tests

nuclear weapons opening a gateway to hell warhammer40k style seems almost too poetic to be real

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

hatman letting me down :colbert:

If they drop it on a weekday I suspect it's gonna be a 4/5 PM dump it and play dead for as long as you can situation.
For what its worth he was not the only person making the claim but I am not holding my breath at this point.

Or I am but it's not a conscious decision.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

nuclear weapons opening a gateway to hell warhammer40k style seems almost too poetic to be real

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

how did this not leak during the trump admin

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

I rewatched Twin Peaks: The Return again recently, and it's pretty alarming how well "Black lodge" stuff lines up with a lot of my crazier experiences/beliefs.

To the degree of like, I feel like he must've been to those places.

I no longer have a guideline for what reality is, and it's really loving with me.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

If they drop it on a weekday I suspect it's gonna be a 4/5 PM dump it and play dead for as long as you can situation.
For what its worth he was not the only person making the claim but I am not holding my breath at this point.

Or I am but it's not a conscious decision.

poo poo's coming out 4:59 pm on the 30th and contrary to everyone's expectations, mine included, it's going to be a single sheet of paper that says "actually its[sic] aliens after all" and then the pentagon will refuse to answer any further questions

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i don't need to be told it's aliens

i need to be told how to get on their loving ship

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Google Butt posted:

how did this not leak during the trump admin

quote:

At the end of the half-hour interview, Trump offered lighthearted remarks about a newly released Navy video purportedly showing an unidentified flying object.

“I just wonder if it’s real,” he said. “That’s a hell of a video.”

quote:

The president in the past has spoken skeptically about the possibility that there is something out there. Last year Trump said he received short briefing on UFO sighting, but also offered: “People are saying they’re seeing UFOs. Do I believe it? Not particularly.”

After his father offered that he heard some “interesting” things about Roswell, Trump Jr. asked the president might declassify that information someday.

“Well, I’ll have to think about that one,” the president responded.

quote:

"Mr. President, as we wrap up here, are there UFOs?" Bartiromo said.

"Well I'm gonna have to check on that," Trump replied. "I mean, I've heard that. I heard that two days ago, so I'll check on that. I'll take a good, strong look at that."

The president went on to discuss the military and later reiterated his promise to "check on" UFOs.

"I will tell you this," he said when asked about the UAPTF by Bartiromo. "We now have created a military, the likes of which we've never had before in terms of equipment. The equipment that we have, the weapons that we have — and hopefully, hope to God we never have to use them."

"Russia, China, they're all envious of what we've had," Trump added. "All built in the USA. We've rebuilt it, $2.5 trillion. As far as the other question, I'll check on it. I heard about it two days ago actually."

C-SPAM: the hit new top-level forum QCS can't stop raving about > [UFOs] I mean, I've heard that. I heard that two days ago, so I'll check on that. I'll take a good, strong look at that

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"aliens are invading venezuela and stealing all their oil, they demand we hold onto it"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

I no longer have a guideline for what reality is, and it's really loving with me.

:same:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1402329593735008257?s=20

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Don't get me wrong this is fascinating but not in the sense that we're getting some big revelation but in the sense that this exact same hystery went on last summer. America doing its thing and the rest of the world watching by wondering if the Americans notice or care that they are alone in their hystery.

This is like hype for Men in Black in the summer of what ever it was. drat that summer ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E uapost