Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Sephyr posted:

Thinking of doing a Poland run after a long time, to get back in the game. The usual strat is to back the Danzig revolt and then eat the rest of the Teutonics, right? Or just eat it naturally to keep a good development and hold the other vassals better?

Poland always confuses me a bit as to where to grow to. To grab land from Hungary or to wait and vassalize them later? To grab Muscovy land? Get Lithuania to fabricate on Livonians and Riga before Denmark grabs them? Or to take Crimea before they go Otto?

I have heard of ways to declare on Bizantium and force-vassalize them to then grab their cores from Ottos, too.

Eat Muscovy and Ottomans. Do not let them expand with no push back. Hungary will probably get devoured/PUed before you start considering them. Eating Crimea isn't a bad idea but it all depends on the situation in game. Whatever prevents the Ottomans and Muscovy from coming at you is usually the best option.

No CBing Byzantium and vassalizing them is an easy strat people use to cut out the Ottoman threat early. It works, and its always an option at the start. It works best when Ottomans haven't rivaled you so you can get access and just walk on over to Byzantium.

One start is to disable the HRE, which Poland is one of the better countries to do it with. Here's a video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkbWVmpWdQ8

Another I like to do is to use the transfer subjects on Russia and take all of its subjects or however many you want. It's not as great as disabling the HRE or stealing Byzantium but it's fun.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I think the most recent patch actually fixed the harem/heir event for the ottoman government type so all of them aren't always completely trash.

The patch fixed it ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

PittTheElder posted:

Just once I want to see a patch where the Ottomans body everybody (and also don't conquer their way across the Pontic Steppe). Can't we get the historical thing just once? Real life Ottomans were basically the end boss for European powers for the first 200 years of the game.

This is literally every single game for the past 1000 hours for me, so confirmation bias I guess

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The best Poland strategy is actually to play as Lithuania because their mission tree is better/more OP. Personal Union with Muscovy, please and thank you.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So much lost time getting renaissance as Palembang, hoping that it would spread or I'd make friends with someone to the west (south indian big players for e.g.) to get it from there. Nope, just sink mana into it. Goddamn, that's a lot of years of being behind.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Iymarra posted:

So much lost time getting renaissance as Palembang, hoping that it would spread or I'd make friends with someone to the west (south indian big players for e.g.) to get it from there. Nope, just sink mana into it. Goddamn, that's a lot of years of being behind.

Yeah never wait for an institution to spread to you from Europe as ROTW. Printing Press is the other one that is really bad for this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would dev push for renaissance no later than 1470 and oftentimes much sooner than that. Especially as palambang. You want to get your initial dev push out of the way before you grow your capital to ridiculous sizes with concentrate+pillaging.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Welp, I may have ruined my Poland run.

I was all happy to try and expand Lithuania before the Commonwealth. After all, you integrate it automatically when you reach the tech level, right?

Except it wasn't fabricating any claims on Muscovy and others, no matter how much I set provinces as Interest and relations to Hostile. I still managed to feed it some of Crimea and Livonia, though, then ended up no-CB declaring on Muscovy to grab Neva and keep them from going Russia.

Except...then I read the tooltip and you cannot form the Commonwealth is Lithuania has more than X number of cities. Which it does.

Is this recent? I remember growing Lithuania before integrating it with no issue before.

Also, are there benefits to getting the Danzig vassal? It's nice that it's an easy war and all, but it's also between the HRE and Lithuania, meaning it has little room to expand, and without it I could not chain-fabricate claims on the Baltic.

Moldavia also lost is March bonuses once I grew them to a certain size. Still helpful, but....

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sephyr posted:

Except...then I read the tooltip and you cannot form the Commonwealth is Lithuania has more than X number of cities. Which it does.

Is this recent? I remember growing Lithuania before integrating it with no issue before.

Also, are there benefits to getting the Danzig vassal? It's nice that it's an easy war and all, but it's also between the HRE and Lithuania, meaning it has little room to expand, and without it I could not chain-fabricate claims on the Baltic.

Moldavia also lost is March bonuses once I grew them to a certain size. Still helpful, but....

In order
the "no more than 57 provinces for Lithuania" thing is at least since golden century, maybe a little longer than that, so 2.5 years-ish at least.

The Danzig vassal is pretty important, because with it you can way easier block off brandenburg from expanding in that direction, and you want to make sure the TO is dead before they're able to reform into prussia, because if both prussia and brandenburg exist there's a really common event for brandenburg to PU it for free and that's a pain to deal with.

March bonuses exist only if the march has less than 25% of the dev the overlord does, so you just need to grow poland itself (or just un-march and integrate them, moldavia really doesn't have strong enough military ideas to really bother with as a long term march in my opinion)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sephyr posted:

Except it wasn't fabricating any claims on Muscovy and others, no matter how much I set provinces as Interest and relations to Hostile. I still managed to feed it some of Crimea and Livonia, though, then ended up no-CB declaring on Muscovy to grab Neva and keep them from going Russia.

It's tempting not to care about Lithuania's opinion of you if you are going to annex them immediately anyway, but as far as I recall the higher their opinion of you and the lower their liberty desire, the more likely it is that they will fabricate claims for you.

Sephyr posted:

It's not very recent. You can still feed Lithuania a healthy amount of provinces before annexing it, more than it starts with at least. You just can't go over the limit.

Sephyr posted:

It's a bunch of German culture land right up next to the HRE that you can get with 0 AE and without spending any admin points. I would argue it's very worth it.

Sephyr posted:

Integrate Moldavia.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Welp, I may have ruined my Poland run.

I was all happy to try and expand Lithuania before the Commonwealth. After all, you integrate it automatically when you reach the tech level, right?

i definitely remember the days when you could grow the "easy" PUs like lithuania/aragon/etc. indefinitely before integrating them but it's been several years since they made that change.

danzig is there to exist briefly and then integrate, not to stay a vassal. in general you want to eventually integrate all of your initial subjects as poland; moldavia is useful for gunning down wallachia, but after that they should be integrated. this is a general principle of EU4 play - vassals are temporary. there are some exceptional cases like byzantium where you want to keep them around for a long time, but even then you will eventually want to free up that relation slot for another vassal or other purposes. there is a place for permanent mega-vassals toward the end of a world conquest, but that's an unusual situation.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I never had problem just fabricating a couple of claims on TO, grabbing Danzig on the peace deal, then eating the rest in the next war. Guess I had luck.

But what to do now? Just integrate Lithuania the hard way? I don't think I can get them to give me or release provinces. I am good on Diplomatic points, but still, what a drag.

And I kept Lithuania relation always above +120, their liberty desire usuallly at 0. One time when I got a weak heir and low legitimacy it rose to 5%, but that was it, and not for long.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How many provinces over the limit are they? I suppose you could always intentionally lose a war with a neighbour

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
One.

It was more, but then they released Polotsk, which gave me hope, then i checked and they were still one over.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

losing a war will probably be easier, but if they're releasing vassals they're close to their governing capacity so you might be able to dev their provinces until they release someone else

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd go the "losing a war" route. Doesn't cost any monarch points.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jazerus posted:

danzig is there to exist briefly and then integrate, not to stay a vassal. in general you want to eventually integrate all of your initial subjects as poland; moldavia is useful for gunning down wallachia, but after that they should be integrated. this is a general principle of EU4 play - vassals are temporary. there are some exceptional cases like byzantium where you want to keep them around for a long time, but even then you will eventually want to free up that relation slot for another vassal or other purposes. there is a place for permanent mega-vassals toward the end of a world conquest, but that's an unusual situation.

I definitely prefer giving crap land to marches. It's nice to have someone do the busywork for you, and it makes for easier institution spread.

Using actual allies is an early game crutch, and later on a liability.

Danzig and Moldavia both have excellent land you want.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sephyr posted:

I never had problem just fabricating a couple of claims on TO, grabbing Danzig on the peace deal, then eating the rest in the next war. Guess I had luck.

no, i think you have the right of it. the addition of the danzig events didn't really power poland up at all because it's land that is trivial to take directly. however diplo is easier to part with than admin especially early on, so you are getting "cheaper" cores as a marginal advantage of doing the conquest through danzig instead of directly.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, Poland starts with low Manpower so not having to siege all of TO helped the next wars go smoothly.

Will try losing a war with the Great Horde. It's nearly gone, but it has big steppe allies, and if I put myother vassals as defensive and hang back they should occupy enough of Lithuania. And it'll be easy land to recover between the other, bigger wars

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you shouldn't have to actually lose or wait for them to send a peace deal you just have to cede provinces in your own peace deal. i think you can do that with positive warscore

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man very hard makes some starts intense.

Ethiopia is rough because mamluks just have so much more and then they're replaced by the ottomans and you need to go through both to get at your holy sites . Also no cool monuments at all. Mountain of Kings is in event texts and it'd be p cool.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, Poland starts with low Manpower so not having to siege all of TO helped the next wars go smoothly.

Will try losing a war with the Great Horde. It's nearly gone, but it has big steppe allies, and if I put myother vassals as defensive and hang back they should occupy enough of Lithuania. And it'll be easy land to recover between the other, bigger wars

just make sure you 100% the great horde then any peace deal you offer will have to accepted, otherwise at 99% they might not accept peace if they don’t want certain bits of lithuanien land

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do I get rid of slavery in my nation the fastest? As before playing as Ethiopia and there's a national mission to exploit slavery. Fine. It happened. I just won't press it. But where's the decision to abolish it?

A strong, centralised, almost world power Ethiopia wouldn't sell their own citizens I'd think.

Do I have to grab the humanist idea group? Because I will.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Affi posted:

How do I get rid of slavery in my nation the fastest? As before playing as Ethiopia and there's a national mission to exploit slavery. Fine. It happened. I just won't press it. But where's the decision to abolish it?

A strong, centralised, almost world power Ethiopia wouldn't sell their own citizens I'd think.

Do I have to grab the humanist idea group? Because I will.

Outside of mods the decision only becomes available in the Age of Revolutions and you need a 3 adm ruler, so unfortunately no fast way to do it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RL Ethiopia didn’t abolish slavery till Haile Selassie so 18th century would be pretty drat speedy tbqh

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Did they have enormous cities carved into mountains bought with the tears and sweat of loads of disinherited poo poo heirs and an extreme over reliance on extremely expensive advisors? Thought not.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

skasion posted:

RL Ethiopia didn’t abolish slavery till Haile Selassie so 18th century would be pretty drat speedy tbqh

Trying to cite historical accuracy in EUIV is pretty hilarious, ngl.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The irl world powers of the 18th century would probably sell their own citizens if they had a market for it tbqh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The irl world powers of the 18th century would probably sell their own citizens if they had a market for it tbqh

This is basically what British penal transportation was. The government paid contractors to take thieves, dissenters, and other hoi polloi to America/Australia and once there, leased (America) or assigned (Australia) the convicts to do forced labor for private individuals. Call it term-limited slavery if you prefer. Very nice to have it all abstracted into an Expel Minorities button

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don’t get why you’d be worried about slaving imaginary people in a game where you kill them in the millions in the course of a game in the name of imperialism, bloodily crush popular uprisings, colonise indigenous peoples, etc etc. Basically everything you do in EU4 is problematic as gently caress.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I don’t get why you’d be worried about slaving imaginary people in a game where you kill them in the millions in the course of a game in the name of imperialism, bloodily crush popular uprisings, colonise indigenous peoples, etc etc. Basically everything you do in EU4 is problematic as gently caress.

Love 2 play the immortal guiding spirit of a nation as it amorally devastates and conquers the world over centuries for the pleasure of it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Unironically yeah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just play as Dithmarschen, the only moral nation

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for playing as north american tribals, like Wichita? I manage to get dev up to about 50-60 from grazing on other tribal land but I struggle to maintain enough monarch points to actually get tech up to get idea groups / advance military tech / get ideas to begin with and also migrate around the map.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-8-june-2021-new-monuments-chosen-for-1-31-5.1478483/

Oh look, new monuments.

I see they've added some to Jerusalem and Mecca. I wonder if triggered modifiers for those will be gone. I suspect no one at PDX remembers triggered modifiers exist so maybe not.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Huh, so Iberian trade empires will have even more bonuses to income, and there will be more possible bonus missionaries and missionary strength?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
is the dlc worth buying / patch worth playing yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

KoldPT posted:

I've been watching the thread and the updates and I feel like its still a firm no.

ilitarist posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-8-june-2021-new-monuments-chosen-for-1-31-5.1478483/

Oh look, new monuments.

I see they've added some to Jerusalem and Mecca. I wonder if triggered modifiers for those will be gone. I suspect no one at PDX remembers triggered modifiers exist so maybe not.
mothfucking lmao that the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon gives a bonus to Manpower and not to Sailors.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 10, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Most of the 'bugs' are fixed in the current patch other than armies attaching. Lot of poo poo is unbalanced still, but I think thats working as intended.

I think its worth playing over pre-Levi just for fixing AI economies

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did they ever fix the monument bug where if you take a province that's upgrading the monument you can't core the province? Seems a bit more important than adding new monuments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The actual bug I think isn't that you can't core it, it's that you have to wait for the monument to upgrade and can't see the time remaining or cancel/speed the upgrade.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been watching the thread and the updates and I feel like its still a firm no.

mothfucking lmao that the Belém Tower replacing the Pena Palace in Lisbon gives a bonus to Manpower and not to Sailors.

It's definitely not perfect but it's not the broken cartoon it was. I would wait to pay the full DLC price but you don't need to roll back to Emperor imo. If nothing else, use the silly early DLC time to do some exploits. Don't have the WC achievement? Pick someone like Oirat or Kazan and lol as you stack raze + concentrate dev + pillage.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 10, 2021