Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

i still find myself whistling the world of balance overworld theme when i'm doing the dishes sometimes.

I realized the other day that I subconsciously memorized all of the characters last names. even non-playable ones like Kefka Palazzo and hidden characters like General Leo Christophe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nines
Aug 13, 2007
I have started playing the pc version with the world reborn mod ( first time playing), is it worth restarting on the SNES version? I'm playing on a big TV w controller.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nines posted:

I have started playing the pc version with the world reborn mod ( first time playing), is it worth restarting on the SNES version? I'm playing on a big TV w controller.

yeah just play the snes version

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

SNES version is king. The GBA patches fall short, the sound patch still has bad hissing in the instrument samples. The color patch is pretty much accurate but screen ratio feels cramped. And yeah don't touch the PC or mobile versions, they are cursed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GBA version has a better script overall, notwithstanding some famous lines changing, and it has bugfixes, and there's a little bonus content unlocked when you beat the final boss, but it looks and sounds worse than SNES. There are romhacks that restore SNES audio and color in the GBA version, but it's still a lower resolution. Either is a good choice. PC version has only one good thing about it compared to the others and it's not worth putting up with the rest for.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you value kickass art and sound go with super nintendo, if you wanna play with the different script and extra magicite, gba. thats all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the bonus content sucks though. like it's fine, you can just ignore it, but it doesn't make up for the sound quality issues. I'm not as in love with the woolsey translation as other people, but I don't think the GBA one is super better? the only part where the woolsey one really falls apart is that calling the Gods "the Statues" is a little confusing at points in the cave near thamasa.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought the snes script was fine

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the Woolsey translation is mostly fine, but I don't get the "it's superior to all others" thing. the guy was under a ton of time and censorship constraints and there are points where it was awkward. the GBA one is fine too. I think the SNES version is superior but I think it's fine to use a patch for the script.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

the Woolsey translation is mostly fine, but I don't get the "it's superior to all others" thing. the guy was under a ton of time and censorship constraints and there are points where it was awkward. the GBA one is fine too. I think the SNES version is superior but I think it's fine to use a patch for the script.

I wouldn't say Woolsey is superior to all others but I do think some of the fan patches that are more direct translations sound more stilted and awkward throughout. Woolsey's has a charm to it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

charm?

Charm is the great blight. It doesn't grow outside of those damp isles. It casts drain on everything it touches. It kills life, it kills art, I greatly fear, my dear Edgar, that it will kill you.

-Locke, Figaro Revisited (NarsheDweller420 translation patch)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The gba translation is bad becuase ot was made by a goon. Enough said

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mysterious loyall X posted:

The gba translation is bad becuase ot was made by a goon. Enough said

i thought that was only 4

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Required reading on this topic.

I liked GBA better because I had it on actual hardware and all JRPGs are improved by a mobile form factor, but these days that doesn't really matter. You can't go wrong with either one, really.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I went to check how bad the PC version could possibly look and GAH!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

i thought that was only 4
It's also bad because it was played by a goon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

almost slept on this because "required reading" but it's pretty interesting. i like that he adds a Google translation that gradually loses its mind as the game progresses and starts inventing words, lol.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
Play somethingawfuls very own goon project, Awful Fantasy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like that the random old dude guarding the basement in figaro is supposed to have an osaka accent but he just doesn't say enough words for any of the translations to carry that through.

there are things you kind of pick up through the years if you play JRPGS, like that japanese must have some kind of a filled pause that basically every english translator puts in as "ya know?" but watching someone pick apart the subtleties is cool.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The snes translation is good but I found the gba one, which I admittedly played much later in life, was easier to follow. A lot of stuff made more sense to me when I played the gba one.

There's a really good snes patch that combines the gba script while keeping a lot of the original Woolsey stuff, and it gives you a bunch of other cool extras like job titles and a music player.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thank you bongo bill

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Waiting for the release of the translated T-Mod for FF6 for my next replay

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what about a mod that lets you recruit your party in reverse

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i'd only play the GBA version on an actual GBA. dealing with all these patches is just nonsense. i put in a backlit screen with adjustable brightness a few months ago and it's epic gaming on the go. on anything else go for the original SNES masterpiece.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

i'd only play the GBA version on an actual GBA. dealing with all these patches is just nonsense. i put in a backlit screen with adjustable brightness a few months ago and it's epic gaming on the go. on anything else go for the original SNES masterpiece.

GBA SP is the ultimate portable gaming device, yes.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Hearing rumors of HD-2D ff6 :staredog:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

it's good on a hacked 3DS imo. Half the ROMs you find are pre-patched anyway

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Hearing rumors of HD-2D ff6 :staredog:

Where
Please

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

the phone versions updated their names to explicitly say they are the "3d remake" so people are just assuming some other versions are coming

https://toucharcade.com/2021/06/07/final-fantasy-3-4-3d-remake-update-ios-android-e3-square-enix-origins-collection/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

the phone versions updated their names to explicitly say they are the "3d remake" so people are just assuming some other versions are coming

https://toucharcade.com/2021/06/07/final-fantasy-3-4-3d-remake-update-ios-android-e3-square-enix-origins-collection/

Thanks! Unfortunately it doesn't mention ff6 at all in the article, just 4. (And 4 already got a 3d remake on the ds so my guess is it's just that.)

Edit: I read it wrong, the 3d version of ff4 was always on mobile. I guess they just specify its the 3d one now, but to me that just means they'd be bringing the 2d version over. I hope I'm wrong of course

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the octopath engine looks like poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

you can turn off the blur effect and I think the shiny reflection thing which makes it a bit better

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
FF6 with augments.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Okay.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress; it was that shock image or somethign with a monocle popping off a dudes face and both of them sucked, anyway - I think the octopath look kicks rear end. Like a lego diorama look.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Professor of Cats posted:

gently caress; it was that shock image or somethign with a monocle popping off a dudes face and both of them sucked, anyway - I think the octopath look kicks rear end. Like a lego diorama look.

oh yeah?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Octodad Spaffer.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Professor of Cats posted:

it looks like someone ate a ps3 and poo poo out bloom everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
octopath looks like a SNES game but all crisp and shiny don't @ me