Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Yeah he pivoted to "it could be anything" there but he did say he he had an opinion he won't state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zisky posted:

Yeah he pivoted to "it could be anything" there but he did say he he had an opinion he won't state.

"im not saying what it is, but it is definitely time travelers." :words:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

that would rule if they're from the ocean depths

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

But yeah it's the plot from travellers 100%

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

yea he's basically saying he doesn't think it's just some random natural phenomena but the result of something intelligent

He keeps saying "technology" which I think is interesting; the farthest I'd go when being serious is calling it an unknown phenomenon. If he's certain it's technology that's interesting.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Eh, since people are talking about their experiences I figure I'll share mine. Only time I've ever seen something weird, and it's probably just some military drone tech that was being tested and never made it to mass production, but it's still weird as hell to think about today.

This happened in either the summer of 2002 or the summer of 2003 sometime around midnight, in northwest Iowa, out in the middle of nowhere. Some friends and I were returning from seeing a movie in the bigger small town nearby. I was the one driving.

The whole thing started when I glimpsed a bright white light very high up in the sky, high enough up that I had to lean closer to the steering wheel on my old Buick to see. My first reaction was that I was seeing a meteor entering the atmosphere but just as I was going to get a good look, the trees of a farmstead right by the road obscured it, but I could still see through the trees that it was there so I tracked it as I kept driving. Good thing Iowa roads are deserted that time of night.

Once we cleared the farmstead, the road started sloping down, making it even harder to see, so I pulled over to get a better look. This was literally right at the intersection where we'd always turn off the main highway, so it's not hard to pinpoint exactly where I was, even after all these years. Once I stopped and basically pressed my chest into the steering wheel, I got a clear look at what was happening.

The bright white light was still there and hadn't seemed to have moved much if at all, but then I could see a half dozen or more smaller lights of varying intensity near the brightest light. They formed a pattern that looked like an upper-case T rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise with the brightest light at the point where the two lines intersect. That was the point that I was certain that I was not seeing a meteor.

As we watched in absolute silence, the smaller lights would occasionally move toward or away from the main light, but would always maintain a perfect line either horizontal or perpendicular, with the brightest light never moving. Some of the smaller lights were red and some were white, I don't recall seeing other colors but my memory on the colors is not as distinct.

Occasionally the smaller lights would appear to merge together, though that could just as easily be one of them moving behind or in front of a brighter light. Sometimes they would emerge from the brighter light, sometimes they wouldn't.

We watched this for a few minutes until, one by one, the smaller lights appeared to merge with the main light. When the last smaller light merged with the main light, the main light immediately went out. Whatever it was, it was maintaining a formation that could not have been natural, the lights were not flickering or twinkling, the movements were all along one of two lines, the main light never moved at all and didn't change in intensity up until the moment it disappeared.

As UFO stories go, it's pretty tame, but I can't stress enough how deeply unsettling this was in the moment. Like, deep rumble of fear in your guts combined with a little bit of awestruck. We watched this happen, then I put the car back in gear and we drove the rest of the way in absolute silence. We're all still friends, I talked with one of them yesterday even, but to this day, they've never brought it up to me and I haven't brought it up to them.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

it's starting to look like The Abyss was actually a documentary

Zisky
May 6, 2003

The angle that the US is racing to be the first to disclose to have a leg up on China before they can do the same is something I haven't really thought of before but in context makes a whole lot of sense.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
im not able to make heads or tails of lue's chats, always feels like he's just throwing piles of spaghetti at the wall. im just an interested citizen keeping an eye on it, i feel bad for any foreign military analyst sitting at their desk watching this livestream trying to figure out wtf the US is up to.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I think I'm gonna start smoking weed again

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

If childhood's end was disclosure then what does that say about 2001???? Remember all those monoliths at start of pandemic? Lol

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

im not able to make heads or tails of lue's chats, always feels like he's just throwing piles of spaghetti at the wall. im just an interested citizen keeping an eye on it, i feel bad for any foreign military analyst sitting at their desk watching this livestream trying to figure out wtf the US is up to.

that's basically us though which is why this is so fun

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

"wow" lmao

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

i feel bad for any alien cultural analyst sitting at their desk watching this planet trying to figure out wtf humans are up to

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

let's not attack the interdimensional time travelers thank you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Google Butt posted:

theyre from canada, they're gonna get whats coming to them

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol aliens noticed our nukes and have been here watching us ever since

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zisky posted:

The angle that the US is racing to be the first to disclose to have a leg up on China before they can do the same is something I haven't really thought of before but in context makes a whole lot of sense.

https://www.slashgear.com/strange-china-space-agency-tweet-has-many-speculating-about-aliens-25670315/

china beat us to it in ~april lmao. they're a very productive and studious people

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Google Butt posted:

if they're time travelers they'll understand that the attack must have already happened from their perspective and be ok with it

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol aliens noticed our nukes and have been here watching us ever since

they've turned out nukes off and turned other peoples' nukes on

holy poo poo ahaha I'd heard about the first one but that second part is nooooot great

Zisky
May 6, 2003

The question of why we keep seeing them above military and energy infrastructure is answered by the fact that those are the places we have planes/radar, to an extent.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

So hoping for Betty Dreyfuss aliens. Want to see that phoenix and underground city.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Yeah which incident is he referring to where they activated a nuclear system?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ok maybe they're atlanteans rather than aliens

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Zisky posted:

The question of why we keep seeing them above military and energy infrastructure is answered by the fact that those are the places we have planes/radar, to an extent.

This is a good point, there's definitely some selection bias. A lot of the other "reputable" sightings are from commercial pilots or other people that would have similar sensors.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i close my eyes, and i am instantly teleported back in time. im back in middle school, im laying on my back on the floor of my friends bedroom trying to fall asleep, but i can't because the radio is on and tuned into coast-to-coast.

sadly, i am too creeped out for sleep.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The reporter looks, rightfully, terrified in the wideshots

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Oh man we got duped by MI6.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Mar 4, 2022

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

yeah there it is

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Zisky posted:

Yeah which incident is he referring to where they activated a nuclear system?

supposedly during the cold war (according to the delonge video)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol now he's suggesting that the Pentagon is where the resistance to disclosure is coming from.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

yeah there it is

lol yeah

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Zisky posted:

How close would you say it was once you saw it? How big did it appear to be relative to yourself/the refinery?

Your description seems to track with a lot of the sightings irt light emanating from within a cloud.
My sense is that it was a couple hundred feet above the car or at the height of a tall building but not a skyscraper. It was definitely higher up than the refinery's tallest towers but still close and physically imposing even at that elevation. If I had to approximate a size, I'd say it was way over a thousand feet long, definitely bigger than a large zeppelin or tanker ship but with a very uniform symmetrical surface only broken up by pulsing lights. My perspective was almost underneath angled up but I could see one end, which was a flat circular surface, and the rest extended past my perspective over the refinery. Much of it was covered by the clouds, but the exposed portion was a metallic cylinder with periodic giant red lights arranged like this "I I I" down its length.

Tekne has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jun 8, 2021

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

theyre from canada, they're gonna get whats coming to them

incredible av/post combo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
It's going to be real weird if/when disclosure happens, consensus on the reality of life/intelligence beyond earth in the universe is beyond a reasonable doubt and...

Then nothing. There's no official contact, the probes never do anything beyond their erratic, inscrutable buzzing, and despite everyone on earth now knowing about them it changes our material conditions down here as much as farts on venus.

And we just keep at the same poo poo, innovating our way to climate collapse and bedlam

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Not much of a storyteller but coming out of lurking to say that I saw one of the triangle UFOs on a greyhound five or six years ago in southern California. I wasn't the only one who saw it, a guy on my side of the bus shouted for everybody to look out the window and a few of us did. Three points of light moving in perfect tandem against the night sky, way too loving fast to be a regular aircraft. It seemed huge to me but it's hard to gauge size at that distance, especially not being any kind of aircraft expert. It disappeared very suddenly and did not reappear. I think the black triangle UFOs are most likely to be stealth military tech but still amazing to see.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Protagonist posted:

It's going to be real weird if/when disclosure happens, consensus on the reality of life/intelligence beyond earth in the universe is beyond a reasonable doubt and...

Then nothing. There's no official contact, the probes never do anything beyond their erratic, inscrutable buzzing, and despite everyone on earth now knowing about them it changes our material conditions down here as much as farts on venus.

And we just keep at the same poo poo, innovating our way to climate collapse and bedlam

oh, something will change

a hundred startups will pop up over the next couple years to try to monetize it, whether capturing one, getting government contracts related to them, trying to destroy one and see what the wreckage tells us, etc. think ttsa but varyingly more or somehow less competent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
thinking more about that israeli space dude who talked about the galactic federation six months ago