Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

It's really hard for me to articulate just how aggravated and frustrated I got by Michael Chabon's weekly 2,500-word Instagram screeds that essentially boiled down to "well, actually, we meant to step on that rake, you just aren't thinking deeply enough to understand why." No, Chabon, you weren't playing nth-dimensional chess, you just totally hosed the dog on that season and I'm glad you hosed off to go make Kavalier and Clay.

Edit: I legitimately think Picard S1 might be the worst Trek ever produced. Nemesis comfortably held that throne for nearly two decades and then Chabon & Co. came along and said "Hold my beer."

Picard is worse because it squandered a ton of potential, by the time we got Nemesis it was pretty much a given that the TNG Trek films were bad and IIRC expectations were already pretty low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Like, Picard was poo poo, but a lot of its disparate parts had something to them, and it pisses me off to no end that things like the Romulan custodial staff, Number One, the Borg Cube, etc. just sent absolutely nowhere

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The setting of the Borg Cube turned Romulan salvage and research project was so cool, and it's weird they wasted it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Was it obvious to anyone else that Picard’s random old doctor friend in episode two or three was supposed to be Crusher? It’s like they got self-conscious about it being a potential TNG reunion and did a quick swap out with a Totally New Character Guys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Was it obvious to anyone else that Picard’s random old doctor friend in episode two or three was supposed to be Crusher? It’s like they got self-conscious about it being a potential TNG reunion and did a quick swap out with a Totally New Character Guys.

100% yes. I love how it even inspired a set of fake leaks that said Beverly was dead and Chabon himself had to come out and say "what the gently caress are you talking about? Crusher is still alive. Everyone but Data is still alive."

For me though it was casting a guy as Bruce Maddox when the original actor who played him, while retired from acting, is still around and is still working in the field as a drama teacher and probably would have been easily available to shoot, what, three scenes with five lines of dialog before they killed him off for no reason?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

100% yes. I love how it even inspired a set of fake leaks that said Beverly was dead and Chabon himself had to come out and say "what the gently caress are you talking about? Crusher is still alive. Everyone but Data is still alive."

For me though it was casting a guy as Bruce Maddox when the original actor who played him, while retired from acting, is still around and is still working in the field as a drama teacher and probably would have been easily available to shoot, what, three scenes with five lines of dialog before they killed him off for no reason?

yeah I really hated this decision, it lost a ton of emotional weight in his character IMO

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah I really hated this decision, it lost a ton of emotional weight in his character IMO

The wrote themselves into a corner and took the coward's way out of it instead of actually trying to do some creative writing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was a terrible decision to make the character Maddox because it meant absolutely nothing at all except to the fandom. His story isn't linked to the TNG story in any way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wanna say someone asked the original actor about being in Picard, and he said that no one had reached out to him. It’s just a really bizarre decision.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

It was a terrible decision to make the character Maddox because it meant absolutely nothing at all except to the fandom. His story isn't linked to the TNG story in any way.

Especially because they just brought in Alton Soong at the end anyway as the mastermind behind the androids, so Maddox even being involved with pointless. It should have just been Soong from the start and when Jurati kills him on La Sirena it turns out to be another droid duplicate out there acting as a proxy for him because he's a weird and paranoid motherfucker so you still keep that step on the journey to find his reclusive rear end, only it's not a pointless shock kill this time around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also it's probably time to change the thread title back. Mods, and can we get it changed to Modern Star Trek Megathread: Picard's Strange New Lower Decks Dico Prodigy?

Thank you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially because they just brought in Alton Soong at the end anyway as the mastermind behind the androids, so Maddox even being involved with pointless. It should have just been Soong from the start and when Jurati kills him on La Sirena it turns out to be another droid duplicate out there acting as a proxy for him because he's a weird and paranoid motherfucker so you still keep that step on the journey to find his reclusive rear end, only it's not a pointless shock kill this time around.

Jurati shouldn't have killed anyone! Or if she had to murder someone then there should have been actual consequences for the fact that she murdered someone. As it is there's just a moment where the crew find out she murdered Maddox and they all just shrug and the story moves on.

e: I think of the ideas that are floating around in Picard S1 the best one is the focus on the ex-borg. There's a simple straightforward story to be told about a group of ex-genocidaires who were brainwashed into committing terrible crimes and are now in a prison camp run by a semi-hostile foreign power and who's home state now considers them foreigners who are not allowed to return. The parallels to today are obvious, you can use them tell a good old fashioned sci-fi story with a moral at the end without any trouble. Literally everything else from the season should have been dropped.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 9, 2021

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

HD DAD posted:

I like it better that it’s some old Stargazer dude. It makes sense that Picard would be associating with other retired officers and would become estranged from people who are still active duty. Helps show that time has passed him by.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Watching the Radishes/Keiko's baby/Captain Troi/Frere Jacques episode on H&I in the background

I've always thought pretty highly of this episode but

Why would the turbolift fall?

Why does Troi have to argue and guess about whether anyone is alive in the drive section? Can't she of all people tell remotely?

These issues could be so easily written around. :effort:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

Why would the turbolift fall?

Why does Troi have to argue and guess about whether anyone is alive in the drive section? Can't she of all people tell remotely?

Because the lift car had slipped off its mounts, and the artificial gravity was still on.

Because the only time Troi's senses were ever used for location-finding was in Nemesis, and even that was a half-unconscious Ouija board thing. And as for getting a survivor count, could you tell the difference between, say, 850 people vs. 1000 if you heard them all talking at once? Her senses are fairly vague -- occasionally she'd report about the general feeling aboard the ship, but she never said anything like "47 people on decks ten and eleven just had their heart jump into their throat, did something just happen?".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Artificial gravity is achieved by deck plates and there's no reason for it to be on in the turbolift shaft anyway

Also it's dumb that there was no way for Geordi to set the cargo bay to depressurize and then re pressurize automatically

Also the repressurization should have created a poo poo ton of wind if it took only seconds

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Artificial gravity is achieved by deck plates and there's no reason for it to be on in the turbolift shaft anyway

You have people in the turbolift being affected by gravity, pushing down on the object surrounding them that has no preexisting force applied to it :eng101:.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have people in the turbolift being affected by gravity, pushing down on the object surrounding them that has no preexisting force applied to it :eng101:.

Not sure what you mean

I would think the deck plating INSIDE the lift would be the source of gravity, not some vertical gravity beam ten decks high up a tube

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Jurati shouldn't have killed anyone! Or if she had to murder someone then there should have been actual consequences for the fact that she murdered someone. As it is there's just a moment where the crew find out she murdered Maddox and they all just shrug and the story moves on.

e: I think of the ideas that are floating around in Picard S1 the best one is the focus on the ex-borg. There's a simple straightforward story to be told about a group of ex-genocidaires who were brainwashed into committing terrible crimes and are now in a prison camp run by a semi-hostile foreign power and who's home state now considers them foreigners who are not allowed to return. The parallels to today are obvious, you can use them tell a good old fashioned sci-fi story with a moral at the end without any trouble. Literally everything else from the season should have been dropped.

Absolutely. So many cool things could could have been explored around that. You could have also had a big deal of the fact that Picard identifies with them due to his assimilation experience, but the ex-Borg don't really care what he has to say. He was only in for a short time, got out, and then was able to resume his life without Starfleet holding him responsible, while they are being continually punished for it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The worst part was they tried to give Jurati some cutesy or comic relief moments after she murdered someone and they kind of glossed over it once she was like "whoopsie, I was forced to think there was a good reason to murder this dude so I murdered him."

Then again they let Oh get away which seemed like nonsense, but to be fair it was already nonsense since they believed they were on the galaxy's most important quest and expressly willing to die tryin but just gave up instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Not sure what you mean

I would think the deck plating INSIDE the lift would be the source of gravity, not some vertical gravity beam ten decks high up a tube

Yup, so now you have the mass of X occupants in the turbolift applying downward force at an acceleration of 9.8m/s to the interior of an object with no other force affecting it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just watched a Voyager episode "The Omega Directive" and it seemed to have a lot in common with Disco Season 3 stuff, to the degree it's kind of weird they didn't invoke Omega Particles for the Burn. Omega particles gently caress up subspace in a large area, wouldn't be too hard to technobabble that into the same result as The Burn ended up being. Also since the particles can be synthesized, the Federation actively suppresses the knowledge, same thing they did to Disco/spore-drive.

Turns out a team had thought before to use exploding Omega particles as the central hook for an updated, darker Trek series. Star Trek: Final Frontier was set in the a future where Omega particles exploding and ruin subspace makes Federation more territorial and whatever from all the strife caused by their omega-the-burn. The series pilot script also kind of reads like a proto-Disco S3, captain and crew scraping up the courage to change their ways and refocus on good ol' Federation ideals.

They had some pretty goofy ship design concepts as well

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was that the animated series concept set in the 26th century or something

I remember before CBS started doing Trek again there was an idea floating around about a new Trek animated show that would take place further out in the future where the Federation was struggling

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well, finally some ships that look worse than Disco's. :v: Using Omega would've been niece because it was something already widely established as a threat and also, not a magical baby having a tantrum.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

Just watched a Voyager episode "The Omega Directive" and it seemed to have a lot in common with Disco Season 3 stuff, to the degree it's kind of weird they didn't invoke Omega Particles for the Burn. Omega particles gently caress up subspace in a large area, wouldn't be too hard to technobabble that into the same result as The Burn ended up being. Also since the particles can be synthesized, the Federation actively suppresses the knowledge, same thing they did to Disco/spore-drive.

Turns out a team had thought before to use exploding Omega particles as the central hook for an updated, darker Trek series. Star Trek: Final Frontier was set in the a future where Omega particles exploding and ruin subspace makes Federation more territorial and whatever from all the strife caused by their omega-the-burn. The series pilot script also kind of reads like a proto-Disco S3, captain and crew scraping up the courage to change their ways and refocus on good ol' Federation ideals.

All I remember is someone who worked on that concept posted in one of the old threads and got real mad when people lightly poked fun at the spatula Enterprise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

To boldly scrape where no paint's been scraped before

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All I remember is someone who worked on that concept posted in one of the old threads and got real mad when people lightly poked fun at the spatula Enterprise.

The Enterprise-G. The G stands for grillin'.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

The Enterprise-G. The G stands for grillin'.

Time for a new thread title.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup, so now you have the mass of X occupants in the turbolift applying downward force at an acceleration of 9.8m/s to the interior of an object with no other force affecting it.

The weight of the people pushing down on the turbolift floor is obviously what makes it fall, duh! :eng101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Payndz posted:

The weight of the people pushing down on the turbolift floor is obviously what makes it fall, duh! :eng101:

If there is nothing else acting on the turbolift in a vacuum, yes. We're assuming the whole thing's broken, safeties are dead, the car is just hanging freely in the turbolift shaft in zero-G with the gravity deckplate providing gravity still somehow (batteries, plot contrivance, wave your hands and ignore it, etc).

We'll say the turbolift car is initially stopped when things all Go Wrong; Your only external force now is the mass of the passengers being constantly pulled to the floor by the deckplate simulating gravity. That doesn't just mean they're walking around like normal. That means you now have mass applying downward force to the whole of the turbolift car with nothing to counter it. It's not going to go freefall speeds immediately (you're only pushing say 2-3 average people's worth of mass against a much heavier object), but it is going to start accelerating.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Khanstant posted:

Omega particles was such a good concept for disco BURN(ham, where is she anyways?) but they hosed up.
Would love that 'a bit darker' show with Grillterprise as main ship. Not as gory grimdark as it was lately but exploring actual ideals in harsher universe would have been good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If there is nothing else acting on the turbolift in a vacuum, yes. We're assuming the whole thing's broken, safeties are dead, the car is just hanging freely in the turbolift shaft in zero-G with the gravity deckplate providing gravity still somehow (batteries, plot contrivance, wave your hands and ignore it, etc).

We'll say the turbolift car is initially stopped when things all Go Wrong; Your only external force now is the mass of the passengers being constantly pulled to the floor by the deckplate simulating gravity. That doesn't just mean they're walking around like normal. That means you now have mass applying downward force to the whole of the turbolift car with nothing to counter it. It's not going to go freefall speeds immediately (you're only pushing say 2-3 average people's worth of mass against a much heavier object), but it is going to start accelerating.

This is making a lot of assumptions about how gravity plating works but even so in the episode it fell AFTER they were out of it and it fell FAST

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Bloop posted:

This is making a lot of assumptions about how gravity plating works but even so in the episode it fell AFTER they were out of it and it fell FAST

If anything the "gravity" plating will start accelerating upward, eventually crushing the people in the lift like cherry tomatoes in a upside down hydraulic press.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also there were no apparent side to side shafts and with all the unfathomable volume of space in a galaxy class ship they could actually have had the turbolift dimension in there but it was just an elevator shaft

YOU MAY NOW GIVE BIRTH

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unearthed in the waffleimages recovery thread

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That makes me curious what bubble of people they'd shown it to before had said or thought. I think Trek is one of only a few, if not the only, major franchise that has its own subset of nerds focused entirely on the ship design with the same fascination and attention to detail as any ship or vehicle enthusiast group. Seems like one of those ideas that sounds good when it's just you and the other people making the thing together, building or pushing further each others concepts.

Even so, that's such a divergent design to ditch the saucer altogether you'd think they would've expected some pushback.

It makes me want to see it used like an space aircraft carrier, throw a bunch of little craft that land and takeoff from that big flat surface, who cares that it makes no sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star wars definely has ship nerds

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I did consider that franchise and reasoned the series has a less unified art direction and basically maladapted the sweet og McQuarrie stuff a lot of the time and just had no first-hand experience with SW ship nerds so decided to exclude it and hope I wasn't wrong oh well

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, the Star Trek ship nerds are far more into it than the Star Wars ones are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, the Star Trek ship nerds are far more into it than the Star Wars ones are.

I think this is the biggest dropped ball of the sequel, the OT ships are all iconic for the most part but they didn't deliver anything interesting shipwise in all 3 movies.