Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Good thing there's a way to make sure history is never forgotten

https://twitter.com/beardedjourno/status/1401639234994311172

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

What actually happened to the statue? If it were up to me I'd give to them, but one finger at a time

I don't know what happened to the body, but the head was given to Indigenous land defenders for use in future actions.

In a standoff between Young Conservatives of Ryerson and some land defenders, I know who I'm betting on - and it's not the campus club.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Manitoba has digital passports (and physical if you want) available for all 2nd dosers. TBH - I think it's great for now. We give all sorts of ID for things (health card, drivers, air miles... lol) but that's forgotten on tons of people.

You wanna dance? Pay the band. I feel for the ones who cannot LEGIT get it so hopefully something is done. But for the fuckheads handing out multi-page essays on why they are exempt - gently caress off.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Manitoba has digital passports (and physical if you want) available for all 2nd dosers. TBH - I think it's great for now. We give all sorts of ID for things (health card, drivers, air miles... lol) but that's forgotten on tons of people.

You wanna dance? Pay the band. I feel for the ones who cannot LEGIT get it so hopefully something is done. But for the fuckheads handing out multi-page essays on why they are exempt - gently caress off.

How does it work if you got vaxxed out of province?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The only thing less likely to make me click than Rex Murphy trending is Don Cherry trending.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if they fought to the death you'd click to see who won

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Starks posted:

How does it work if you got vaxxed out of province?

Saw someone ask that on reddit since the web app denies it and they got theirs in Yellowknife I believe. Another person said you may need to call in to HealthLinks and go from there since it's out of the ordinary. :( Sorry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know it's dumb to get mad over a news chyron but CTV ran one about the London attack saying that Muslims struggle to understand the hate they receive. I've never much cared for the way our media likes to infantilize victims of hate crimes and it speaks more to mainstream arrogance that we consider them ignorant as to why they're they're targets of hatred when the answer is obvious. The media is unwilling to actually state it on air that hatred is the product systemic racism and we project it onto minorities because we suck. That's not a concept that goes over the heads of victims, they're not stupid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well, it's also a product of the solid decade or so the media spent demonizing Muslims after 2001, so maybe they don't want to try too hard to understand.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Saw someone ask that on reddit since the web app denies it and they got theirs in Yellowknife I believe. Another person said you may need to call in to HealthLinks and go from there since it's out of the ordinary. :( Sorry.

This is what I'm worried about. Our healthcare systems are really bad at dealing with out of the ordinary (as anyone who's had to go to the hospital without OHIP in Ontario knows). I'm not against vaccine passports but there needs to be a plan for marginalized people and immigrants (or anyone who got their vaccine elsewhere). Not sure about other provinces but here in ON you didn't need an OHIP card to get vaccinated.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's dumb to get mad over a news chyron but CTV ran one about the London attack saying that Muslims struggle to understand the hate they receive. I've never much cared for the way our media likes to infantilize victims of hate crimes and it speaks more to mainstream arrogance that we consider them ignorant as to why they're they're targets of hatred when the answer is obvious. The media is unwilling to actually state it on air that hatred is the product systemic racism and we project it onto minorities because we suck. That's not a concept that goes over the heads of victims, they're not stupid.

What the gently caress CTV? Muslims in Canada totally understand the hate they receive. I got lectures about what to not talk about around white people when I was like 6 by my parent's.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well a big part of the problem is that the Canadian media by and large was complicit (or in some cases actively involved) in demonizing Muslims and racism in this country in general. Going about it this way allows them to dodge admitting this fact. :(

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ToxicAcne posted:

I got lectures about what to not talk about around white people when I was like 6 by my parent's.

totally understand if you don't want to share but I'm interested in what they told you not to talk about. was it just like anything that would out you as Muslim or is there specific stuff that sets some people off?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

prom candy posted:

totally understand if you don't want to share but I'm interested in what they told you not to talk about. was it just like anything that would out you as Muslim or is there specific stuff that sets some people off?

Don't get caught criticizing the war in Afghanistan or politicians in general. My parents also specifically told me not to criticize George W Bush in particular around white people. They thought most white Canadians loved him.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ToxicAcne posted:

My parents also specifically told me not to criticize George W Bush in particular around white people. They thought most white Canadians loved him.

Depending on where you lived and what year it was they were probably right

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Eh, I don't remember many Canadians liking Bush, even if they liked his politics. Like Trump, he was a convenient doofus for them to project how much better Canadians are then Americans. (I suppose my context is Ontario, but any conservative-leaning person I knew back then still thought Bush was the worst outside of maybe within a month of 9/11).

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

drat this vigil is very political. Nobody explicitly calling out Trudeau, who's sitting in the front row, but they are saying the government isn't doing enough.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/fatimabsyed/status/1402422691286687745

Did Trudeau get booed?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Not really but jagmeet got a bunch of cheers and people chanted his name for a bit. Its an NDP riding though

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

enki42 posted:

Eh, I don't remember many Canadians liking Bush, even if they liked his politics. Like Trump, he was a convenient doofus for them to project how much better Canadians are then Americans. (I suppose my context is Ontario, but any conservative-leaning person I knew back then still thought Bush was the worst outside of maybe within a month of 9/11).

My grandparents lived in Lethbridge and were fine with Harper and the like, but they absolutely detested Bush.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/ryersontories/status/1401977267878772741?s=19

L m f a o

Just a sweet cherry on top to the discourse.

https://twitter.com/straycunt/status/1402455980349313027?s=20

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Love" when my friends husband shows his colours and is anti-mask. Posting a video to instagram of a guy tearing down and throwing out a sign saying to wear masks.

"I dont wanna be a second tier citizen!"

Makes it extra lovely cause his wife is a teacher and is going through poo poo - what a way to spit on her.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/status/1402433118414336000

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Welp. Looks ironclad.

We'll miss you Alberta, best of luck!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

More like Moronville :v:

Love the disclaimer at the bottom lmao - we (supposedly) don't agree, but we're still going to print this nonsense anyway

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

drat, primo real estate. Right above the Hay For Sale section.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Zutaten posted:

drat, primo real estate. Right above the Hay For Sale section.

Morinville is a typical small Albertan town, just off of Highway 14 on the way from Edmonton heading out East. The Want Ads for their paper is primo real estate, since they want to be read. Problem is, this sort of delusional belief has a way of sticking around for generations. I think we'll be dealing with these yahoos for decades to come.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is going on with the price of hay bales? One guy is selling for $4, the other guy wants $50?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is going on with the price of hay bales? One guy is selling for $4, the other guy wants $50?

The cheap ones are square bales, which are about 50 lbs each, and the expensive ones are those big rear end round bales the size of a Smart Car and weigh about 1000 lbs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Canuckistan posted:

The cheap ones are square bales, which are about 50 lbs each, and the expensive ones are those big rear end round bales the size of a Smart Car and weigh about 1000 lbs.

loved the day we switched to round bales because i didn’t have to haul hay anymore.

end of an era though i used to get to drive the pickup/trailer at 8 since i was too little to lift the square bales lol

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Is there anything more loathful than a "campus conservative"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

linoleum floors posted:

Is there anything more loathful than a "campus conservative"

several but that’s up there

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lars Blitzer posted:

Moronville is a typical small Albertan town,....

FTFY

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Terror Sweat posted:

Not really but jagmeet got a bunch of cheers and people chanted his name for a bit. Its an NDP riding though

It seems a little bad taste for people to be booing and cheering politicians at a vigil for victims of a hate crime, but I guess politics is unstoppable.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Lmao

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I know of at least a couple instances of people being crushed moving around the round hay bales so square bales for life

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I saw another poll with him at like 19% satisfied, 0% very.

Fucker is tanking hard. But he doesn't give a gently caress as people have pointed out. He's like a hate train doing whatever the gently caress he can before he goes.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Fidelitious posted:

It seems a little bad taste for people to be booing and cheering politicians at a vigil for victims of a hate crime, but I guess politics is unstoppable.

It's actually really good to boo politicians who tell people to "take back Canada" and then come to a vigil for a Muslim family killed by a white guy.

Frankly, they got off lightly with just booing and then being able to talk shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fwiw i don't have any comments about the appropriateness of it though i'd take my cues from whatever the muslim community thinks. i've seen a couple of comments from such groups on twitter but mostly it's been white non-muslims complaining about how inappropriate it is and i just can't bring myself to care about those opinions