Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gently caress yeah dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’m getting “road head” vibes from this very hetero ad

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

gay_crimes posted:

I’m getting “road head” vibes from this very hetero ad

it’s the Tina Turner cassette that makes me lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Makes sense, they're going to the mental health awareness event with the thing they spent the entire mental health budget on

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I kid of course, we all know that the federal government has been providing those to local cops for free

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

I kid of course, we all know that the federal government has been providing those to local cops for free

Don't worry, they spent the entire mental health budget on putting gas into that thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Delta-Wye posted:

What was the gesture??
two-fingered cheek scratch, slow and deliberate so it was noticeable

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I hadn't seen the face of an old friend of mine in years because he abstained from social media. Finally saw it again today. Because I was linked to the Gofundme page for his funeral expenses. I don't know the whole story, but I believe he killed himself after not being able or willing to get the mental healthcare he needed.

The cyberpunk dystopia. Technology to beg for funeral money, but healthcare is only for the rich.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sorry to hear

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I hadn't seen the face of an old friend of mine in years because he abstained from social media. Finally saw it again today. Because I was linked to the Gofundme page for his funeral expenses. I don't know the whole story, but I believe he killed himself after not being able or willing to get the mental healthcare he needed.

The cyberpunk dystopia. Technology to beg for funeral money, but healthcare is only for the rich.

Moral of the story: cling desperately to social media or face extreme alienation and certain death

also, sorry about your friend

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I offer my condolences on the loss of your friend, Animal-Mother.

Edit: I spelled your name wrong on the first go. :saddowns:

Tubgoat has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Jun 8, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Thank you, folks.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

My best friend of 25 years jumped off a bridge, I think explicitly so that there was a good chance his body wouldn't be found and there'd be no expenses, and whatever his family could get for his assets they could keep (furniture/car). He got his wish at least :(

Manic depressive, diagnosed and in perpetual cycle of crisis for over a decade, there were no institutions with enough to help him, and none of us could reach him for long enough to keep him stable, because eventually he'd use up all of his state support and have to go without for a spell again, and the whole thing would start all over.

Shattered my loving heart, I feel you man.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
https://mashable.com/article/republican-mo-brooks-gmail-password-twitter.amp

quote:

In order to prove this, he pulled up a list of laws on the Alabama legislature's website. Brooks wanted to share a screenshot of the page with his followers. However, perhaps because he wasn't sure how to take a screenshot on his computer, Brooks took a photo of his laptop screen using an iPad and tweeted it out.

Unfortunately for him, the photo of his laptop screen included a note taped to his screen on which you can clearly see an assortment of letters and numbers labeled "PIN" and the phrase "momar5456" labeled "Gmail."

It should be noted that Rep. Brooks sits on the House Subcommittee on Cyber, Innovative Technologies, and Information Systems (CITI). This subcommittee has jurisdiction over the Defense Department's policies on technology, software, and cybersecurity.

And we let a mob of lunatics into congress to just run around and pull all the password stickies off monitors

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Nastier Nate posted:

https://mashable.com/article/republican-mo-brooks-gmail-password-twitter.amp

And we let a mob of lunatics into congress to just run around and pull all the password stickies off monitors

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-57394831

Apparently a popular encrypted messaging app in widespread use by international criminals was actually being run as a joint American/Australian FBI sting. :lol:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Apparently a popular encrypted messaging app in widespread use by international criminals was actually being run as a joint American/Australian FBI sting. :lol:

i wonder when they are going to harvest TOR

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rutibex posted:

when it stops being useful to the us spies deployed from embassies around the world

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

The CIA always has.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

withak posted:

pretty sure they all are. the english language ones anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
stupid criminals just use normal text apps and speak in code, using a one-time pad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m Moxie Friggin’ Marlinspike and I’m here to say
I’ve compromised your opsec in a million ways

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
oi mate bring back thieves' cant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lotsa mob IT guys sleeping with the fishes after today.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

withak posted:

lmao

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

it's just some 23 year old chubbed out guido kid

like Michael's son from GTA5

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I didn't know there were that many former Pete and Pete stars

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rutibex posted:

Don't all the three letter agencies run their own exit nodes for this exact reason?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

So has anyone ever put out a persuasive argument why all facial recognition technology shouldn't be banned completely and forever?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It will protect our way of life!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Prettz posted:

So has anyone ever put out a persuasive argument why all facial recognition technology shouldn't be banned completely and forever?

The only people who are in a position to stop it are interest groups that benefit from it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

it’s the Tina Turner cassette that makes me lol

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a technology that doesn't actively kill people that has been successfully banned? Stuff like cancer-causing chemicals is hard enough, it seems unlikely that you can outlaw something like face recognition.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was the sucker on napster. I downloaded some punk song I'd been looking for forever, and it turns out a bright bulb figured out "Angels" by Robbie Williams had the same length and just changed the filename to what I wanted :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

aphid_licker posted:

Is there a technology that doesn't actively kill people that has been successfully banned?

narcotics and psychedelic drugs? though i guess i wouldn't call that a "successful" ban

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

aphid_licker posted:

Is there a technology that doesn't actively kill people that has been successfully banned? Stuff like cancer-causing chemicals is hard enough, it seems unlikely that you can outlaw something like face recognition.

"Vaccine production outside of specific narrow constraints" is being shockingly successfully enforced, and that's in international law where usually the rules have the strength of a wet paper bag. So there's at least one example of a successful ban on a technology that actively saves lives.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

All sorts of things in the intellectual property realm. DMCA is some bullshit.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Pretty sure Google Glass was stuck back in the drawer because nobody's ready for that paradigm shift. By ready I mean the framework isn't in place for it to only benefit the rulers.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tias posted:

I was the sucker on napster. I downloaded some punk song I'd been looking for forever, and it turns out a bright bulb figured out "Angels" by Robbie Williams had the same length and just changed the filename to what I wanted :argh:

lolol I am happy I was not the only person pulling this sort of bait and switch. So many NSYNC and Britney Spears fans got exposed to Deicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

aphid_licker posted:

Plastic beads in hygiene products were successfully banned in a few places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbead

Purposeful creation of microplastic waste was such an egregiously bad idea that even some places that let you put more obviously dangerous stuff in the water banned them