Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

it's been a long while since i've thought of xbill

needs an update adding Bill’s good friend Jeffrey Epstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

carry on then posted:

assume a spherical computer with frictionless RAM

no mac pro spoilers, please

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/lemonodor/status/1402013844524847112

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the most important thing about software infrastructure is that everything must without fail be replaced every decade, or we might face a future where the most important things are all already built to a workable standard and us computer touchers can't charge big bucks to figure out why the latest replacements are failing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

know your audience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
like, seriously, where do you think all the sim grognards are?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

The lack of GitHub is still weird, since it's an MS company and some mods are developed there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bourricot posted:

The lack of GitHub is still weird, since it's an MS company and some mods are developed there.

GitHub is still hosted on AWS iirc. :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"ew, gross! why would anyone want to eat dog food?!" - satya, probably

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

like, seriously, where do you think all the sim grognards are?

loverslab

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

suddenly not feeling so bad work policy disallows teams addons

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a new generation re-implementing the world of warcraft /pizza command

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does this automatically order an intern in your organization to go pick up coffee for you?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The windows 10 sticky notes app syncs with O365 now?!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

services revenue is the new replacement for ad revenue

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess integrating everything in weird ways that nobody asked for is better than just releasing new apps and abandoning old ones like google would do though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love that there's now a bonzai buddy weather and news bar in windows 10, enabled by default, as of yesterday's cumulative update for 20h2

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

i love that there's now a bonzai buddy weather and news bar in windows 10, enabled by default, as of yesterday's cumulative update for 20h2

yep

and i actually like it lol

i have been looking for a decent weather thingy for awhile and they were all poo poo, this one is neat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
by default outlook had a loving weather bar. like seriously?! you take the time to gently caress up the UI and break tons of poo poo, only to add a goddamn weather bar to an email client

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my weather thingy is where i turn my head about 30° and look out the window

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

by default outlook had a loving weather bar. like seriously?! you take the time to gently caress up the UI and break tons of poo poo, only to add a goddamn weather bar to an email client

the search field being in the titlebar remains an abomination

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

yeah i really hate the new "use the title bar for things" design in apps

we have more screen real estate than ever and we're obsessed with adding whitespace to layouts and keeping things clean but then we're also doing poo poo like this that makes it harder for me to grab and drag windows around :negative:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haha holy poo poo. I just noticed in outlook if you click the search title bar, it automatically switches the ribbon to the Search ribbon, under the search area drop down

the search ribbon is not available any other way, and hidden when you switch to another ribbon group

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yup.

task ribbon works like that too

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

don’t forget you can still put extremely cursed ads in your subscription products

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

¿Los dos?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Clark Nova posted:

don’t forget you can still put extremely cursed ads in your subscription products

in fact you can sell them at higher rates because they’re not broke freebie hunters see also ios vs android

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jenny Agutter posted:

Windows night light mode is so inconsistent I think im going back to f.lux

agreed, it's real bad

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1403408864750583814

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hbag posted:

teams is loving garbage
how do you make a program THAT clunky
its like im trying to run photoshop whenever i use it
in fact its worse

how do you make clunkier software than loving adobe???

carry on then posted:

what the hell do you use teams for

still interested on getting to the bottom of this. i cannot think of a single reason to use teams outside of work.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
school? i had to take my final exam in undergrad on teams lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh yeah that would make sense. also lmao at doing anything of import on teams, that would suck. the only functionality that teams adequately fills is private/group DM poo poo-posting and voice/video calling (well voice is fine at least and i can see other people when they use their camera, nfi about video proper as my camera is always disabled)

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 12, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

teams lacking basic poo poo like push to talk is some serious lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i always thought that PTT was more of a multiplayer jaming thing with like teamspeak and that it was generally absent in BUSINESS voice conferencing poo poo? does webex or zoom have PTT?

i get by fine without it which might be due to the kind of meetings i'm regularly in. still i can see how it would be a nice to have feature

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i always thought that PTT was more of a multiplayer jaming thing with like teamspeak and that it was generally absent in BUSINESS voice conferencing poo poo? does webex or zoom have PTT?

i get by fine without it which might be due to the kind of meetings i'm regularly in. still i can see how it would be a nice to have feature
I don't know whether people actually use it for business meetings but having used it in discord, it makes it a lot faster to keep yourself muted most if the time if you're not the main person speaking but just chiming in at times, and anything that makes it easier for people to stay muted us a massive improvement in terms of cutting down on background noise.

I guess you can just use a keyboard shortcut to unmute yourself and then mute yourself again. (Although are they global hotkeys? The really useful thing is being to do this while you have another window on top of teams.)

The worst loving thing is if you ever need to call into a teams meeting using the phone number because it takes like 10 seconds to mute and unmute yourself during which it plays a message and you can't hear the actual meeting. (Although I guess you can just mute your phone and hope there isn't still noise.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 12, 2021

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
there's some that have it but in a kind of roundabout way. like i think in zoom if you're muted you can hold space to unmute while it's being held down or something. but it's not like a global ptt hotkey like in something like discord or mumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah good luck explaining ptt to the olds and normies i work with lol

they have trouble grasping bog standard on/off mute buttons that have been on phones for my entire life

Phobeste posted:

there's some that have it but in a kind of roundabout way. like i think in zoom if you're muted you can hold space to unmute while it's being held down or something. but it's not like a global ptt hotkey like in something like discord or mumble

this would actually be the ideal way to do it, most of the time i'm in 1:1 meetings and i don't want to have to ptt there but in big meetings sure, makes sense