Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh, one more thing that I don't know how consistent it is between different browsers and stuff. When I'm scrolled to the bottom, and use the page numbers at the bottom of the page to go to a different page, as the content of that page loads, it scrolls things so that when everything has finished loading I'm in the middle of the page. So if I want to see all games on that page I have to first scroll up and then back down, or vice versa, which doesn't feel optimal. This is in Firefox, 1920x1080 resolution. I'd be fine with the page either keeping me at the bottom so I could scroll up and then use the numbers up top, or just scrolled me back up to the top every time I change pages. From what I can tell, the former is what's supposed to happen, but then the images and stuff loads and pushes the content down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

lunar detritus posted:

Apparently the reason why the bundle had so many delays (and why they haven't released the new batch of games) is because they downloaded and tested every game to check it wasn't malicious, promoted war or was nsfw. Which is... admirable, in a sense, but I wish they had just trusted the developers and released it sooner. The other bundle had to delete some stuff but people could still buy it.

I believe the organizer mentioned co-op bundles can't be edited while they're live, so instead they have to submit changes directly to itch so they can do that in their place. They also seem to have contacted and involved the charity chosen directly, so I imagine making sure there was no dodgy content was part of the deal. Also according to the itch faq, all developers have to verify their submission to the bundle individually, so that probably didn't help either.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Oh, one more thing that I don't know how consistent it is between different browsers and stuff. When I'm scrolled to the bottom, and use the page numbers at the bottom of the page to go to a different page, as the content of that page loads, it scrolls things so that when everything has finished loading I'm in the middle of the page. So if I want to see all games on that page I have to first scroll up and then back down, or vice versa, which doesn't feel optimal. This is in Firefox, 1920x1080 resolution. I'd be fine with the page either keeping me at the bottom so I could scroll up and then use the numbers up top, or just scrolled me back up to the top every time I change pages. From what I can tell, the former is what's supposed to happen, but then the images and stuff loads and pushes the content down.

Ah, the tragedy of not knowing how big the images need to be so the browser just gives up. I'll just make it scroll back up.

Ignis posted:

I believe the organizer mentioned co-op bundles can't be edited while they're live, so instead they have to submit changes directly to itch so they can do that in their place. They also seem to have contacted and involved the charity chosen directly, so I imagine making sure there was no dodgy content was part of the deal. Also according to the itch faq, all developers have to verify their submission to the bundle individually, so that probably didn't help either.

On the bright side if they ever make a bundle again it'll probably go much better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It looks like the bundle is on track for meeting its goal later tonight!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

lunar detritus posted:

Apparently the reason why the bundle had so many delays (and why they haven't released the new batch of games) is because they downloaded and tested every game to check it wasn't malicious, promoted war or was nsfw. Which is... admirable, in a sense, but I wish they had just trusted the developers and released it sooner. The other bundle had to delete some stuff but people could still buy it.

I downloaded a remote access trojan from itch this last winter and lost a few hundred dollars and my entire sense of online security. Malware is a pretty big problem and a bit of an open secret on itch so I'm really glad they're taking the time to verify everything's legit.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

treat posted:

I downloaded a remote access trojan from itch this last winter and lost a few hundred dollars and my entire sense of online security. Malware is a pretty big problem and a bit of an open secret on itch so I'm really glad they're taking the time to verify everything's legit.

welp, nevermind then
I had no idea itch had that kind of issue

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

lunar detritus posted:

welp, nevermind then
I had no idea itch had that kind of issue

Anything that hosts random files is suspect. Stuff like Download.com back in the day was to be taken with a grain of salt.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Bad actors tend to pose as developers of other games that have gotten a bit of media attention. If it's a game that looks pretty rad and/or has been written about in publications and has no/few comments on the itch page, just google around or search itch for another page and be careful to make sure the page is actually legit. There's not a ton of malware but it can be hard to verify without falling for it first.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

treat posted:

Can you elaborate on how this happened? Did you download a random game that looked cool but turned out to be fake and/or had the trojan built in?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was kind of a thing a few years back

https://www.pcgamesn.com/rimworld/pirate-games-itchio?amp

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yeah, glad the gal who put together this bundle also personally tested all the games to make sure they weren't malware. Getting hacked because you bought a charity bundle would really loving suck, more so than most other ways you get hacked.

Edited for misgendering

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 9, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, glad the guy who put together this bundle also personally tested all the games to make sure they weren't malware. Getting hacked because you bought a charity bundle would really loving suck, more so than most other ways you get hacked.

She
https://twitter.com/Tybawai/status/1402359149296590851

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

raditts posted:

Can you elaborate on how this happened? Did you download a random game that looked cool but turned out to be fake and/or had the trojan built in?

I searched up the demo for BEWARE (ironic title eh?) on itch since it had some traction and I'd heard of it before from an RPS article or something. The actual demo has only ever been hosted on IndieDB. The download on the itch page was relatively recent, screenshots and a description were pulled straight from IndieDB, and the game page was owned by someone using the actual developer's name. The game didn't launch, because it wasn't a game, and I figured it had just crashed and didn't bother trying to troubleshoot it. I only realized that this was where I had picked up the trojan after discovering the hacker had set up a Google Ads campaign with my google account running an ad for the itch page, and confirmed it by contacting the real Ondrej Svadlena. I reported it and itch banned the account a few weeks later.

According to other developers on itch I've talked to, the usual MO is for semi-popular games to have fake pages set up claiming to be said game, copying the page template 1:1, but it's malware rather than a game. There were plenty of warning signs that I probably would have noticed if I had been at all warry. If you see two identical pages of the same game when you search for it, or there are strings of deleted comments on the game page, those probably aren't good signs. If it seems to be a reasonably popular game or has had some publicity there should be a lot of comments and Let's Play videos posted. If windows throws a virus threat warning at you (which happens a lot with itch games) just take a few minutes to google the game/developer and look over their itch account to see if their notoriety on and off the site matches up.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

treat posted:

If you download and start your games via the itch.io app, there's a setting that makes all games run in a sandbox. It doesn't give a full guarantee regarding safety, but it's probably much better than nothing.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Double post, but I wasn't sure if this had been mentioned and it's handy enough to deserve it's own post.

If you're still on the fence about the bundle, you can see all the stuff that has been submitted, but not yet added to the bundle in the comments here

There's some good stuff there, like Baba Is You.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I downloaded Moon Hunters on a whim with little idea of what I was. Maybe it's because I had no expectations whatsoever, but I was pleasantly surprised and I'd recommend it if you want an isometric action roguelite with a lot of style and atmosphere, though not depth compared to things like Hades. It's also pretty easy on normal difficulty, but I haven't tried the others, so maybe hard is where the real challenges are.

I respect the game though. It's got a great folkloric feel to it. And if you play your cards right, you can elope with the final boss. They really should have let you do that in FTL.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I was wondering why no new games had been added since the bundle went live, but if theyre checking everything that tracks. Gave me a chance to really dig in and poke through what's already there, so I don't have to worry once the rest gets added. Very excited for Baba, as I don't actually own that yet

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mix. posted:

I was wondering why no new games had been added since the bundle went live, but if theyre checking everything that tracks. Gave me a chance to really dig in and poke through what's already there, so I don't have to worry once the rest gets added. Very excited for Baba, as I don't actually own that yet

Check out A Forgetful Loop, it's one of my new favorite puzzle/time management games now! Also I love the premise of being trapped in 30 seconds over and over as your time machine dies.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/Tybawai/status/1403170444140761088

:ohdear:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

these games tried to squeeze in under the gun, we'll see if they get added:

A New Life
Beacon
Bond: Wish of the Forest
Clash Force
Demetrios: A Cynical Adventure
Depth of Extinction
Fjords
Metaware High School
Polyroll
Self-Checkout Unlimited

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beacon is good. It's one of the few games from the original bundle that I went to the faff of installing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Yeah seconding beacon

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The 7th Guest posted:

these games tried to squeeze in under the gun, we'll see if they get added:
They're in! From what I can see, looking at the last few posts in the thread, everything that wasn't already a free game has gotten added, so there's now 1272 items in the bundle.

Clash Force I will have to try.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

KennyMan666 posted:

everything that wasn't already a free game has gotten added

cool! unfortunately they seem to have just been interspersed amongst everything already in the bundle instead of just at the end or front, so Im gonna have to re-go through the whole list again, lol

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Just use a download all script. The one from the BLM bundle still works.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mix. posted:

cool! unfortunately they seem to have just been interspersed amongst everything already in the bundle instead of just at the end or front, so Im gonna have to re-go through the whole list again, lol
You can sort them by when they were added to the bundle at Random Bundle Game.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I got home from work, turned on the computer, saw that the Palestine Aid Bundle got Baba Is You, and bought in with less than five minutes to spare.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

KennyMan666 posted:

You can sort them by when they were added to the bundle at Random Bundle Game.

And thank God because there are dozens of them, holy poo poo, this is awesome.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Obviously $5 for 1,200 games (at least 20 of which are legit great games) is an amazing deal, especially when it's for a good cause.

However.

The way you have to visit the download page of each and every game separately in order to 'unlock' them as "purchased" in the Itch.io launcher means that I'll probably never see even a fraction of any of them.

Oh well, c'est la vie, money for Palestine and the rest is a bonus.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Well I feel like a loving idiot I didn't even get a notice about this bundle until about 2 hours ago.

Any chance someone has a spare they ordered that I could buy off them?

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 13, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like baba is you because the game is fun and also because I found it it was made by a goon because they posted in the Nintendo switch thread asking if it was ok to promote a game they made and it turned out to be the game the internet was already going nuts over.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I never touched Baba is You, but there's a rather hilarious speed run of it somewhere, where the runner is trying to explain his logic as he crushes stages in seconds and takes possibly-unintended shortcuts. BABA is GREEN and GREEN is OUT so BABA is OUT OF BOUNDS and STAGE IS WON.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEnUHxy0CQ

Don’t be wary of spoilers if you want to play the game, it quickly goes way too fast to keep up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
eh I think I would still play the game first, there's places the game goes that still get spoiled at hyperspeed that are worth seeing yourself first (even if the speedrun is still worth watching)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can't wait to use my stylized fruits

Edit: this bundle is wild. You've got like, 'play in browser' games that were free anyway, soundtracks and supplements for games that weren't included, and the number of twitchy-action / platformer games that only accept keyboard input is TOO drat HIGH. I've also run into a few with straight up broken installers.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 17, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oh yeah once you filter out the itch trash you’re left with maybe 150 games at most between both bundles.

But at least the money is going to a good cause and the purchase price of just one of the good games is more than the cost of the bundle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

corgski posted:

Oh yeah once you filter out the itch trash you’re left with maybe 150 games at most between both bundles.

But at least the money is going to a good cause and the purchase price of just one of the good games is more than the cost of the bundle.

Oh dear god 10 bucks between the two and you only get 150 decent to good games.

The five bangers you get that are normally 20 bucks each make it worth it and it's sometimes fun to play low budget, not quite realized dream games of indie producers. And if you're into ttrpgs there's a loving wealth of material that probably makes it worth it to people who don't play video games.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Oh, it was a hell of a deal, and for a good cause. I just thought it was funny how little quality control went into it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It does bother me a little that they allow people to submit free games to the bundle, especially ones with paid sequels not in the bundle. At that point aren't you just getting free publicity under a paper-thin guise of supporting charity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

It does bother me a little that they allow people to submit free games to the bundle, especially ones with paid sequels not in the bundle. At that point aren't you just getting free publicity under a paper-thin guise of supporting charity?

On the one hand I totally get where you're coming from, but on the other hand those loads of free games and stuff help pad out the number of items making it that much more likely to gain attention from potential donators. I feel like it's more impulsive to throw down $5 on 1000+ games and stuff than it would be for say 200+, even though that's also an incredible deal.

In short, bigger number = more buzz around it.