Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I just want more NBA threads man

probes for “bad” opinions are lame, I do mean that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/tommoorephilly/status/1402400606086701056?s=21

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

People are only so adamant about pushing the Jokic MVP narrative to justify another doughy euro winning next year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

People are only so adamant about pushing the Jokic MVP narrative to justify another doughy euro winning next year

Gobert is pretty lean

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

these kind of weird narrative mvp awards are now teams get crippled by super max deals to not quite good enough players (like Curry)

Warriors won a title after giving Curry a super-max and they probably would have won 2-3 more if Klay and KD had stayed healthy. If your max guys suffer crippling injuries you go down, that's just how it is.

Blazers are maybe a better example of a team crippled by a super-max contract.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they got lucky with the salary cap bump

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Take back control

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

they got lucky with the salary cap bump

That's true but it relates to how they were able to squeeze in KD. They re-signed Curry to a super-max a year later. At that point the team was extremely top-heavy, but that's how you actually win titles in the modern NBA. Paying Curry to keep the strongest team in history together as long as possible wasn't a mistake.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i like that morey got fined for suggesting curry come to philly

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

morey owns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

after they got Durant they could have traded Curry to Charlotte for Nick batum and got the same results.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tnt is punishing me at the moment for my sins

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

final tally

https://twitter.com/kyleneubeck/status/1402410822115246085?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gobert came in 10th behind Derrick rose

the writers are insane

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

lmao at the one guy who voted derrick rose first

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
that's one writer's first place vote Derrick rose to you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

major Kawhi fatigue

he had a great year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Chris Paul is the mvp

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Chris Paul is the mvp

I’d say so yeah

or Giannis

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

major Kawhi fatigue

he had a great year.

he still looks like the best player on the planet every time i watch him. which is not often, but

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

he still looks like the best player on the planet every time i watch him. which is not often, but

the writers are really going off the reservation

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Elephanthead posted:

Chris Paul is the mvp

suns had an amazing 8-0 finish last year in the bubble and devin booker played like an mvp. they weren't nearly as bad last year as the thunder this year without him

he's still top 5-10 deserving though for sure

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Simmons on trae to start

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

not even close but I can accept that the voters add a little narrative into it . that’s fine

what does Most mean?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

apparently it means guy I identify with the most

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KD and Kawhi are probably the best players in the NBA right now. You have to put up a billion points and fill the box score daily with assists, rebounds, blocks, and/or steals, etc. in the regular season to be in the running for MVP, though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

apparently it means guy I identify with the most

you're nothing like jokic tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

you're nothing like jokic tho

I didn’t vote for him :smug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

KD and Kawhi are probably the best players in the NBA right now. You have to put up a billion points and fill the box score daily with assists, rebounds, blocks, and/or steals, etc. in the regular season to be in the running for MVP, though.

exactly

just change name to Fantasy MVP

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

i feel like harden and doncic are also in the discussion simply because they're so amazing offensively regardless of everything else in terms of how much offense they create, and hell jokic too. nuggets just don't have enough help without murray there

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

the overrated fantasy player is westbrook. just completely awful in terms of efficiency but he impresses people by putting up triple doubles every year. he hasn't been all star caliber since at least 3 years ago

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a new study bible! posted:

You'll know in the first five minutes.

Well,

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Westbrook mvp was a sign the voters were starting to lose it for sure

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
philly fans chanting "MVP" when Embiid has the ball, but they're incorrect, the MVP is Jokic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they mean MVP (of the playoffs)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I mean obviously Kevin Durant is but everyone hates him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Big Men are simply unhealthy, and should be banned from the National Basketball Association.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we all love big men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

i feel like harden and doncic are also in the discussion simply because they're so amazing offensively regardless of everything else in terms of how much offense they create, and hell jokic too. nuggets just don't have enough help without murray there

I never really "got" the Luka obsession until watching the Clips-Mavs series, and yeah, he's definitely approaching that level now.