Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Fritz the Horse posted:

I might get in trouble for this characterization, but 5e DnD is much more streamlined/simplified compared to like 3.5e in Neverwinter Nights.

It's janky as hell but the tactical combat is pretty good. That's the main selling point.

That's been my impression too, but I've only played 5th edition in this game and BG3. I've read some of the books, but that's not the same thing as playing.

I like this game despite some minor quibbles, and I have a feeling that these guys are going to make a really interesting adventure next time up. I haven't finished the game yet. I've had limited time to play and I've only just gotten past the end of the EA content, including new side quests. Without spoiling it, is there room, narratively, for them to make a sequel where you import your characters, or will they need to start a new adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Koorisch posted:

To people that have gone through a lot of the game already, which of the faction stores are the most useful to open up?

I've been wondering who to give these relics I keep finding but since there are a limited amount of them I'm not really sure what to do.

Antiquarians have the belts, rings, boots and assorted items that I find most useful. I found just running side quests from the board next to the Scavenger location was enough to get me access to the primed weapons I wanted from the Arcaneum and most of what I needed from the other faction vendors.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah on my last run I didn't get quite enough to unlock the 2nd tier of the primed items from the vendor in the inn for some reason, and had no more items to turn in to him by the end of the game. I found the vendor near the council building had a ton of useful stuff and was good to max first, the spider slippers, stat books, and a few other items like cloak or ring of protection are good for filling out slots/free attunement options.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DOMDOM posted:

Oh well, not for me, but I'm not sad about purchasing and supporting these guys for the effort. There is promise here.

I've been avoiding BG3 until it's out of early access but I don't have high hopes. I don't really know why. I loved OS1 but no matter how hard I try I just keep bouncing off OS2.

Icewindale it is! :getin:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I find BG3 inferior to Solasta in most ways (graphics, writing being the exceptions). The combat sucks, it's just a jump around and activate environmental effects-fest. There's no option for reactions, either, so a lot of useful spells and abilities suck now.

BG3 doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate, or really even D&D. It's more like D:OS2 in Faerun with D&D classes. And the available NPCs are all That Guy who has to have a weirdly epic backstory for a 1st level character. Can't stand them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So if you go back to the library zone where you find the crown a week or 2 later, there’s a new shop selling every magic equipment recipe in the game, outside the main entrance. I only found it by chance doing a side quest, I imagine most people would fast travel right past it.

Also, how do Legendary Actions work? I just fought the vampire again and she got 3 or 4 actions per round and it made no sense to me.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

So if you go back to the library zone where you find the crown a week or 2 later, there’s a new shop selling every magic equipment recipe in the game, outside the main entrance. I only found it by chance doing a side quest, I imagine most people would fast travel right past it.

Also, how do Legendary Actions work? I just fought the vampire again and she got 3 or 4 actions per round and it made no sense to me.

Enemies with Legendary Actions get three Legendary Actions a round in addition to their normal actions. They get the option to use one at the end of any player's turn.

Lair Actions also exist, and are separate.

They exist to give big set-piece bosses a way around the action economy disadvantage and maybe a chance of surviving a couple of rounds.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Devorum posted:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I find BG3 inferior to Solasta in most ways (graphics, writing being the exceptions). The combat sucks, it's just a jump around and activate environmental effects-fest. There's no option for reactions, either, so a lot of useful spells and abilities suck now.

BG3 doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate, or really even D&D. It's more like D:OS2 in Faerun with D&D classes. And the available NPCs are all That Guy who has to have a weirdly epic backstory for a 1st level character. Can't stand them.
i have had a hard time finding the words but this nails it

Also though gently caress 5th edition

the irony being i am going back to 2nd edition which, while also super railroady, feels infinitely more complex.

Sorry to derail with 5th edition hate, it is not the game's fault they turned dnd into a cheap pnp mmo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

rojay posted:

Without spoiling it, is there room, narratively, for them to make a sequel where you import your characters, or will they need to start a new adventure?

Not sure, since I dont see a way to export a character, unless it would import from a save, which I havent seen mentioned at all.
Not that they couldnt add that in.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OgNar posted:

Not sure, since I dont see a way to export a character, unless it would import from a save, which I havent seen mentioned at all.
Not that they couldnt add that in.
You can level up your created characters on the character page, the only thing you will miss are the items and the spell-list and crafting list.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there something close to DnD 5.0 War Domain in this game? I want to build a War Priest.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Furism posted:

Is there something close to DnD 5.0 War Domain in this game? I want to build a War Priest.

Battle Domain.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Exiting the crown room:

Bug. I started the battle before the cut scene triggered by walking into a part of the room. Killed them, got crown and cut scene, but when you step in that part of room, triggers "monsters! Be quiet" even though they're dead, and it locks the door. Had to refight.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I had a bug in middle of final fight. My archer shoots but then that just locks everything, have to restart the fight GG.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Devorum posted:

I don't think that's unpopular at all. It was pretty obvious early on that BG3 would be just another D:OS game and that soured quite a few people from the start. Unless Larian is willing to learn from Solasta and completely turn the game around, which I guess technically could still happen but lol when does anything nice like that happen, I think this is becoming the majority opinion.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Like 1% of BG3’s prospective audience will ever think that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Anno posted:

Like 1% of BG3’s prospective audience will ever think that.

Solasta's combat system feels miles ahead of BG3's, but BG3 is appealing to people with a desire for an epic RPG with characters and plot twists and stuff. Solasta is a dungeon crawl and despite both being D&D games, they fulfill very different desires in an RPG.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I like Solasta a lot but I’m not sure I would describe it’s combat as much better than BG3. It’s snappier and more tactical in like an XCOM sense, but loses some of the free form creativity in Larian’s games. They’re both very good imo.

But yeah, my point was kind of that the audience for BG3 is different and much, much larger, and no matter how good it is this game isn’t going to drum up some groundswell of public sentiment that leads to big changes at Larian, and the people who pop into BG discussions trying to post about the good word of Solasta (mostly on Reddit) are very annoying.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 9, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Despicable neutral here, I like both (and also the pathfinder games).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ll go so far as to say that every even semi-notable cRPG since 2014 has been, at worst, good. Many of them have been very good or great. It’s been a good time to be a fan of the genre.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I see it as Solasta feeling like rolling a random character and diving into a campaign in a friend’s basement and BG3 is like BioWare D&D. Both rule, but for different reasons.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Having played both this and BG3, is there anything I should try next if I like both. I've played DOS II but other than that I haven't played many CRPGs in over a decade.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Having played both this and BG3, is there anything I should try next if I like both. I've played DOS II but other than that I haven't played many CRPGs in over a decade.

Pillars of Eternity and maybe Kingmaker depending on how you feel about Pathfinder.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Pillars of Eternity (1 and 2 - if you're going to skip one skip the first) is my personal favorite cRPG for the last decade. If you can handle RTwP (some people get really stuck on Turn-Based modes) that is.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

nah I love turn based stuff, i'll give 'em a go once i'm done with solasta I think. Hopefully they go on sale somewhere soon. Thanks.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, to sum up:

Pillars of Eternity 1: Real-Time With Pause only, built around Obsidian's Kind-Of-Like-D&D-But-Not rules system, so if you're okay with learning new classes and new skill sets, it works fine. Writing is standard Obsidian with all of the good (interesting plots, interesting characters), the bad (giant walls of purple prose), and the ugly (welcome to Exposition Town #1, where the game stops for two hours as you run around to collect all of the background information, world-building, and side plots before finally getting back into actually doing things again). Allows you full moral narrative choice in how you handle things.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Same as above but allowing Turn-Based.

Pathfinder Kingmaker: Real-Time With Pause or Turn-Based, built around the Pathfinder system, with all of the good (lots of classes and options), the bad (oh my god the number of options), and the ugly (better go spend a few days researching builds and class powers if you haven't been playing Pathfinder for years). Writing is less evocative than PoE, but also easier to get through and doesn't stop the game flow as much as PoE. Allows you full narrative choice in how you handle things as run through a weird interpretation of the D&D alignment system which will, in a few but very impactful places, restrict you from doing what you want to do because what you thought was Lawful Good it interprets as Chaotic Neutral.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

skeleton warrior posted:

Note that this was patched-in as a kind of an "official mod." A couple of developers implemented the turn-based mode in their own time, but the game isn't tweaked around that so you need an extra mod for further tweaking (the "Half HP" mod, otherwise some fights take forever).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, to sum up:

Pillars of Eternity 1: Real-Time With Pause only, built around Obsidian's Kind-Of-Like-D&D-But-Not rules system, so if you're okay with learning new classes and new skill sets, it works fine. Writing is standard Obsidian with all of the good (interesting plots, interesting characters), the bad (giant walls of purple prose), and the ugly (welcome to Exposition Town #1, where the game stops for two hours as you run around to collect all of the background information, world-building, and side plots before finally getting back into actually doing things again). Allows you full moral narrative choice in how you handle things.

Pathfinder Kingmaker: Real-Time With Pause or Turn-Based, built around the Pathfinder system, with all of the good (lots of classes and options), the bad (oh my god the number of options), and the ugly (better go spend a few days researching builds and class powers if you haven't been playing Pathfinder for years). Writing is less evocative than PoE, but also easier to get through and doesn't stop the game flow as much as PoE. Allows you full narrative choice in how you handle things as run through a weird interpretation of the D&D alignment system which will, in a few but very impactful places, restrict you from doing what you want to do because what you thought was Lawful Good it interprets as Chaotic Neutral.

Note that you can and should mod the heck out of Kingmaker, especially to remove that alignment restriction.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Just hit level 8 with a Ranger Hunter and I can choose between:

Escape The Horde - Opportunity Attacks against you are made at a disadvantage

Multiattack Defense - When a creature hits you with an attack you gain a +4AC bonus against all subsequent attacks from that creature until the end of the turn. Immune to Opportunity Attacks

Am I missing something here? Why would I ever take the first one :confused:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

Note that you can and should mod the heck out of Kingmaker, especially to remove that alignment restriction.

Is Turn-Based still only a mod? I heard they were adding it into the upcoming Pathfinder game from the get-go, but I don't know if they, like PoE2, went back and made turn-based easier to access without modding.

But you're right, you should mod the heck out of Kingmaker, just like you should turn off somatic components in Solasta, because you should play the game in a fun, enjoyable way rather than a "actually in this group we adhere to all of the rules" way.

Edit:

Gerblyn posted:

Just hit level 8 with a Ranger Hunter and I can choose between:

Escape The Horde - Opportunity Attacks against you are made at a disadvantage

Multiattack Defense - When a creature hits you with an attack you gain a +4AC bonus against all subsequent attacks from that creature until the end of the turn. Immune to Opportunity Attacks

Am I missing something here? Why would I ever take the first one :confused:

So, that's not how D&D 5 actually works, the bold text doesn't seem to be true in the rpg - https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/ranger

So either it's a gently caress-up in text, in which case it's an actual choice, or it's a gently caress-up in programming, in which case you should absolutely take multi-attack defense.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 9, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Welp looks like GoG has pillars and kingmaker on sale.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Kingmaker patched in official turn based support along with its official controller support when it was released on console.

I prefer Pillar's world and story, but I think Kingmaker is a more fun game. It helps that the turn based mode is very slick in Kingmaker and significantly better. In Pillars you are locked into turn based mode from the start and there are a lot of awkward fights in TB, but Kingmaker you can toggle any time you want.

I haven't touched Solasta since it left EA because I'm assuming like Pillars and Kingmaker it'll be quite buggy for a few months after release.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I haven't seen any bugs so far, it's running quite well. Apparently the paladin auras cause a memory leak though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, to sum up:

Yeah, that's the big thing with Pathfinder and 3.5 ruleset - you have a lot more texture to how you build your character, but you have to really design with an endgoal in mind and it's really easy to wind up with a character that just functionally doesn't work. The way the feats and class abilities in those older systems really benefits gaming the system which can lead to a increasingly aggressive cold war between the players and the GM (if you're playing tabletop) or a video game who's design standards explicitly plays to the Hardcore Munskins and flattens anyone not committed.

5e is a lot looser in comparison. Your character is on a largely set progression path that is in a reasonable state of balance, you aren't necessarily hyper specialized in a particular school of magic or weapon, and one of the biggest hard limits and biggest decisions you make as a character are magic item attunement. Characters are a lot more broad and really hard to completely screw up.

I'm not going to say either system sucks and I think each does interesting things. Overall I think 5e is a lot nicer a tabletop game where role-playing takes front stage and 3.5 / pf1 make for better crpgs where you can have the grindy messy punch ups without combat taking a year and a half like it did in the old systems.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 9, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I completed the main campaign now.

Game is good, and even the things that people complain about like the story I really liked. Its very focused and the voice acting was perfectly fine for my taste.

Only real issue I have are weird very time consuming bugs. Like enemies spending 20 seconds deciding to just attack you, or spending 20 seconds timing out and then losing their turn??

Also really annoying bug with my archer ranger having to spend several seconds for every attack because I got that weird bug where she would get stuck in attack animation, on EVERY attack these bugs are so obvious and I dont understand how they arent fixed?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Aw man, I found a Tome of Understanding and I can't use it because of a bug. :(

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
After playing this game so far (I've just finished the third location) I'd say it's pretty good, I really like how cool Spider Climbing everywhere is although I wish i could do it in combat too.

So what is everyone's first big buy from any of the vendors, should I get another Handy Haversack or wait until I can get the Bag of Holding?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

My first big purchase was gauntlets of ogre strength for my paladin, because a huge boost to attack, damage, and carrying capacity felt great.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

My first big purchase was gauntlets of ogre strength for my paladin, because a huge boost to attack, damage, and carrying capacity felt great.

I guess I lucked out, I found one of those in the second dungeon in the library, the chest was a bit difficult to get to though, needed Spider Climb and Misty Step to get it.

It's kind of funny though, the only one that needed the strength boost from those gauntlets was my Ranger, the others already had 18 STR, even the Wizard :v:

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 10, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Periapt of health is great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Koorisch posted:

After playing this game so far (I've just finished the third location) I'd say it's pretty good, I really like how cool Spider Climbing everywhere is although I wish i could do it in combat too.

So what is everyone's first big buy from any of the vendors, should I get another Handy Haversack or wait until I can get the Bag of Holding?

You can buy boots of climbing from the Antiquarians, then you can use it in combat as well! My ranger has been having sword fights with vampires while walking up vertical walls :)