Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they put all their eggs in "fabric" without actually putting any effort into it, basically. all sorts of virtual switching features that often didn't work right, and a design built around the idea that you would connect and provision dozens of "instant access" switches attached to it that were actually just 2960Xes with a different IOS image on them that couldn't officially be used as standalone switches until the platform finally went so badly to poo poo that they released an official guide to converting them from 6800IAs to 2960Xes.

catalyst 6800s may be one of the shortest lived cisco product lines. you can still buy them but the 9400 and 9600 lines basically replaced them outright in like three years flat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
At the time cisco also wanted to push the nexus line as the "do everything" box, except it was notably missing a ton of features and had one of the most poorly implemented high availability models ever

Basically the 6800 should have been a replacement 6500, but it wasn't, because cisco ACTUALLY wanted you to buy nexus, but they also couldn't perform the same role the 6500s did so a simple drop in replacement meant major redesign and the new designs were clearly far worse.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

abigserve posted:

At the time cisco also wanted to push the nexus line as the "do everything" box, except it was notably missing a ton of features and had one of the most poorly implemented high availability models ever

Basically the 6800 should have been a replacement 6500, but it wasn't, because cisco ACTUALLY wanted you to buy nexus, but they also couldn't perform the same role the 6500s did so a simple drop in replacement meant major redesign and the new designs were clearly far worse.

I still have nightmares sometimes about being the only cisco guy on my team available for a support call we got out of the blue where a network fell apart and just was being completely loving non-deterministic because hooking up a bunch of nexus 5Ks and 9Ks in a certain way caused ARP packets to just occasionally disappear if they had to cross virtual switching trunks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/emea/docs/2015/pdf/BRKCRS-3502.pdf

good slide deck on the intended architecture of the 6800 family and what they were hoping for people to want to implement it as. they didn't build it to just be a 6500 replacement, so it suffered when used as such. if anything you were supposed to up-convert your 6500E chassis to 6800s by buying 6800 line cards and replacing your SUP720s with SUP2Ts so you could have all the new 6800 fabric features without needing to unrack your core switch and rack a new one.

they 100% designed it expecting people to want to have their access switches be fabric extenders controlled by the core switch halfway across town connected via a DWDM link. abigserve is right, the 6800 by all rights would have ruined any other network company

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

abigserve posted:

The 6500 was the last good platform cisco ever made, along with the tank of the closet - the 3750G

Had one of those bad boys running at Darwin in a literal workshop for 5 years, went up to replace it and found the thing covered in dust, like it was literally brown. Still worked.

The 6800 would have sunk any other company it was that bad

looked up the 3750 and holy poo poo

quote:

Series Release Date 14-APR-2003
End-of-Sale Date 14-MAY-2016

jesus christ almighty

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

I still have nightmares sometimes about being the only cisco guy on my team available for a support call we got out of the blue where a network fell apart and just was being completely loving non-deterministic because hooking up a bunch of nexus 5Ks and 9Ks in a certain way caused ARP packets to just occasionally disappear if they had to cross virtual switching trunks

:stonk:

that is absolutely horrifying. fuuuuuck

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Oh ya bud

Had cisco support tell one of my customers their topology didn't support multicast

Just straight up. Oh yeah this doesn't work

The design was done by cisco lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lmao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

abigserve posted:

The 6500 was the last good platform cisco ever made, along with the tank of the closet - the 3750G

Had one of those bad boys running at Darwin in a literal workshop for 5 years, went up to replace it and found the thing covered in dust, like it was literally brown. Still worked.

The 6800 would have sunk any other company it was that bad

I still have a 3560G that I use for my home LAN I got it for free from my Cisco intern days. One of the earliest Gigabit switches with jumbo frames you could get. It's identical to the 3750G but no stacking.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have a 2960-S at home from when we were throwing out like half our lab and the boss said "take what you want and leave the asset tag on the shipping desk so logistics can mark it as destroyed"

in retrospect I should have grabbed more poo poo but I also had enough of a hard time lugging a switch and a couple discombobulated PCs home on the train

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

which one of you dorks broke the internet today?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

paging jony290 to the thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

paging jony290 to the thread

the cdn fell over on him. that’s the rumor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846735&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=4502#post515327826

try to keep up

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

very weird traffic tonight on our network. good luck jony

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
content delivery notwork

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

content delivery notwork

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

my homie dhall posted:

content delivery notwork

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my homie dhall posted:

content delivery notwork

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont even know, man

i know, but i'd be fired if i told you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

condolences for your stress levels this morning

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i honestly don't have anything to do; the lower tier support folks are handling the tickets and the higher tier eng/release folks are fixing the problem. so thats nice

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the perfect mid-range of seniority, nice. that's my goal in life (that and many more figgies)

speaking of networking/infra, just got fiber to the home installed. gigabit symmetrical, speeds in practice are actually hitting it too. hell of an upgrade from my previous 600/30 cable connection. :toot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm on 120/15 cable for $90 a month. go to hell lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i get 400/30 service for $90. they have "gig" service but they mandate you use their networking gear so i passed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oof. if the yosnas gets supplanted by a yostracker or something I will pledge my upload speed to maintaining it

Shaggar posted:

i get 400/30 service for $90. they have "gig" service but they mandate you use their networking gear so i passed

rude. no bridged option or anything? I just have OLT -> GPON -> ONT -> 1000BASE-T -> 2960S -> firewall which is still a few more steps than I'd like but my switch is about 30 feet from the fibre handoff and there's nowhere near enough slack to run it through the walls etc.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well i WAS going to buy a 2 bay syno, load it with 14t drives in a mirror and park it at a colo that gives symmetrical no-cap gigabit for $29 a month but then that stupid crypto poo poo happened and now platters are all a trillion dollars.

crypto dorks ruin everything they touch

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

well i WAS going to buy a 2 bay syno, load it with 14t drives in a mirror and park it at a colo that gives symmetrical no-cap gigabit for $29 a month but then that stupid crypto poo poo happened and now platters are all a trillion dollars.

crypto dorks ruin everything they touch

Have you considered that "money" (or "fiat") is not real op?

crypto is real. it's made with computers, that's how you know

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kazinsal posted:

the perfect mid-range of seniority, nice. that's my goal in life (that and many more figgies)

speaking of networking/infra, just got fiber to the home installed. gigabit symmetrical, speeds in practice are actually hitting it too. hell of an upgrade from my previous 600/30 cable connection. :toot:

I too have this at my home. Only issue is that my office isn't wired and I can't find a loving low-voltage contractor to do it. I may just have to buckup and tear my walls out and drill through the floor. I really don't want to do that.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of fibre anybody else using using tcp bbr? I have 500/500 and it makes a crazy difference in upload speed when there is packet loss.
I live in Ontario and here is speed test to Halifax with it on and off, 400% increase in upload speed with a single sysctl .

code:
root@s:~# ./bbr_Halifax_test.sh
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = cubic
     Upload:   104.96 Mbps (data used: 177.9 MB)
     Upload:   104.43 Mbps (data used: 128.2 MB)
     Upload:   128.04 Mbps (data used: 227.9 MB)
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control = bbr
     Upload:   443.47 Mbps (data used: 521.6 MB)
     Upload:   413.32 Mbps (data used: 666.3 MB)
     Upload:   466.35 Mbps (data used: 603.0 MB)
code:
#!/bin/bash
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=cubic
speedtest -s 11583|grep Upload
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=bbr

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm a sys admin and my weakest area has always been networking - I could probably pass a Network+ exam but that's about it. I'm thinking of asking work to send me to some training class(es) so I can understand routing and how to not be afraid of network device CLI's.
Of course there aren't really generic learn how 2 network courses, it's all vendor stuff. Would a CCNA course be sufficiently generic to teach me networking? Or are there better options out there? I don't really care about the cert itself, I may take the exam after just to have it, but I'm not looking to change jobs anytime soon so I don't care about padding my resume.

We use Dell networking gear at work in the environments I currently work in so there's no vendor training for that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes, the base ccna is what you want

jfyi

> so I can understand routing

easy peasy

> how to not be afraid of network device CLI's.

never goes away

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

it goes away when you switch to juniper devices which have a cli not designed explicitly to gently caress with you

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
CLI? How quaint. I do 90% of my configuration via yaml and jinja templates over an API. Want to start implementing OpenConfig too.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i do my configs in a big tell other people what to do and expect it to get done with my wife

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

existing network appliances piss me off so much I'm writing a routing/firewall OS

currently working on L3/L4 filtering, then after that, a higher performance forwarding table. current one is fast enough with just a handful of routes in it but I suspect with thousands of routes it'd be a bit too sluggish so I'll need to implement something like a 256-way trie

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
what do people think about cumulus?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

existing network appliances piss me off so much I'm writing a routing/firewall OS

currently working on L3/L4 filtering, then after that, a higher performance forwarding table. current one is fast enough with just a handful of routes in it but I suspect with thousands of routes it'd be a bit too sluggish so I'll need to implement something like a 256-way trie

sounds like a pretty bad idea tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

why not just use windows 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

CLI? How quaint. I do 90% of my configuration via yaml and jinja templates over an API. Want to start implementing OpenConfig too.

same. most network vets treat it as high advanced technology but it's really straight forward and so much easier in the long run. especially if you have ansible experience with server stuff