Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

they moved it to the end of side one. it's all in the same order, they just decided "yeah, we're gonna cram another track in on side one"

B1 becomes A6, so when the song that's supposed to end side one is done, it immediately goes to the next song, but that next song isn't supposed to be on that side.

e: also I'm seeing now that other people have complained about the lovely sound on the pressing I got, so I'm not hallucinating. also, sorry for explaining like I'm talking to a child, I just got done with today's mandatory overtime and I'm beat to poo poo

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That seems like the second side would be way shorter than the first side. Only In Dreams is kinda longer than some of the other songs but only kinda.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there is quite a lot of runout groove on side two, yes

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I have that vinyl and I gotta admit the first time I listened to it I didn’t think about it at all but then I read your post and listened to it again and now I’m mad lol

Surf Wax America is OBVIOUSLY the beginning of side B!!!!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

That was also written by Mike Love. The further he is from the rest of the band, the better The Beach Boys are. Mike Love is the man responsible for killing Smile, and was completely up Brian Wilson’s rear end during all the Pet Sounds sessions. Mike Love sucks rear end.

Kokomo was also written by John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas.

Mike Love has always had an eye on the commercial appeal of the music they were releasing. I think his legacy is more complicated than people acknowledge. Like SMiLE - the reality was that the project wasn't coming together, and while the material is great, it also would have been hugely alienating to fans at the time. Now, that's not to say he was some valiant hero - no, he was definitely pretty closed minded about a lot of things.

The problems really begin in the 70s, though. The Beach Boys had a huge success with Endless Summer, a double LP compilation that really brought them back into the mainstream. And so Mike began pushing the band towards becoming a nostalgia act. The stuff where Carl was the creative lead was forward thinking and definitely sounded like 70s soft rock. But Mike takes over and we get 15 Big Ones, and yeah.

What the gently caress is that poo poo.

Listen to their version of Rock and Roll music. It plods, the harmonies sound like a cheap imitation (probably not helped by the fact that Brian Wilson's voice in the 70s was really damaged), the whole thing feels sloppy, but not in that Rolling Stones everything is just about to fall apart way, but rather like a highschool talent show everything has fallen apart manner.

There's a few good songs on there - like It's OK and Brian's cover of For Once in My Life, but it's a real hard line. Before that, there is at least something in the Beach Boys albums worth hearing. After that, you could skip most of the material and not really miss too much.

Today, the Beach Boys are just that nostalgic act. But who wants to see an 80 year old sing songs written by a teenager about surfing? Mike Love wasn't even that good of a vocalist. He had an okay lead and decent bass voice, but compared to Carl, Dennis, Brian, or even Al?

In the early days, he did a lot of good work within the band. Like, their early legacy is partially because of him. But time moved on, and he just kept wanting to stick to same formula.

There's a story about the reunion concerts. Brian and some of the others wanted to include songs like Marcella, fan favorites but not necessarily big hits (which is a loving travesty, what was wrong with record buyers in the 70s). Mike was against it. He only wanted to play the big hits that everybody knew. Brian won out. But that's the problem. Mike stopped taking risks.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just flipped a Beach Boys CD for $20 the other day. The 1992 album that came in that weird cardboard case.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
God I hope the bubble bursts soon. Prices are outrageous.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got my Newbury order in. First Air Kit sounds fantastic. Samsquamsch, I hope yours comes out as good as mine did.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hot Diggity! posted:

God I hope the bubble bursts soon. Prices are outrageous.

I've been saying this for about eight years so don't hold your breath.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Boinks posted:

I just flipped a Beach Boys CD for $20 the other day. The 1992 album that came in that weird cardboard case.

You did well.

Summer in Paradise is rare because it's horrendous and no one bought it when it was initially released.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It took 4 weeks but my USPS order finally made it out of the Chicago sorting facility and into regular old Illinois. I really hope it doesn't come folded in half after over a month on the road.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

It took 4 weeks but my USPS order finally made it out of the Chicago sorting facility and into regular old Illinois. I really hope it doesn't come folded in half after over a month on the road.

Maybe it bred it confinement and you have new little 7”s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
welp it finally happened. My 2 year old trashed the needle on one of my M44-G.
Where do you all source replacements that don't cost an arm and a leg?

e: and does anyone know specifically how the JICO stylus compares to the N44G?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 7, 2021

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

welp it finally happened. My 2 year old trashed the needle on one of my M44-G.
Where do you all source replacements that don't cost an arm and a leg?

e: and does anyone know specifically how the JICO stylus compares to the N44G?

Here's one option: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/shure-n44g-stylus-for-m44g

They appear to have a variety of options for your M44-G

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't owned or used a record player since the mid 1980s when I was little and I'd check 45s out of the library that would narrate the children's books I was reading. By the time I was a teenager, I'd mostly missed vinyl being super mainstream and instead spent my time and money on tapes and then CDs. I miss the tangible collecting part of music and there are smaller artists out there that I'd like to support more than just streaming their stuff online. That got me looking a the artwork on vinyl packaging and had me thinking I should just skip CDs and go back further since it's not about convenience when I can have anything digitally if I want it.

Now I am looking at record players.

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-plus-turntable

Is that an ok purchase? Either that with an onboard pre amp and some powered speakers or an external pre amp and some powered speakers. 20 years in the military destroyed my hearing so I think I am too deaf to be an audiophile but having a collection of cool art looking music art is super appealing. I figure I might as well find something that can play the music.

Hopefully ~500 is enough to dip my toe in whatever water this is. That seem like a reasonable entry level budget?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uturns are good

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You can go that way for style but for less money and more function the Audio Technica AT LP120 (and 120X) is the way to go

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

beeker posted:

Here's one option: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/shure-n44g-stylus-for-m44g

They appear to have a variety of options for your M44-G

I meant in stock, but appreciate the suggestion.
If I snag JICO needles I'll probably get them off amazon.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 8, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

You can go that way for style but for less money and more function the Audio Technica AT LP120 (and 120X) is the way to go

It looks to me like the U turn is a bit less expensive but maybe I’m looking at the wrong models. AT 120s have gone up in price.

Both seem like good choices, but he could also relive his childhood by finding some old 80s component system in a fake wood cabinet with maybe a smoked glass door on it. A pair of large but surprisingly light speakers. It’s out there, just waiting to be found….

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

pwn posted:

I have an LP120, but just saw a discussion somewhere with people claiming that the LP5 is a better option for hifi. Power adapter outside the unit and other small nice features. I'm just an amateur who loves collecting and have never had a issue with my stock 120, just what I was hearing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

hexwren posted:

this loving hobby

spent twenty bucks on a record (new) last weekend, which I had on cassette in the mid 90s (the first weezer album)

got to spin it today

they moved the first track of side two to the end of side one? what the gently caress?

so now here I am considering buying a loving mofi copy for over twice that because goddammit, surf wax america starts side two, that's just how it goes

(also it sounds really kinda lovely and distorted? basically, avoid 2016 or later pressings)

FWIW the MoFi copy of this sounds great

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

pwn posted:

It probably doesn't even make a difference at the entry level, but the U-Turn offerings are less complex in terms of circuitry. Depending on your choice, it's basically a few wires and a simple motor, in theory making it more repairable like a lot of vintage turntables. You really can't go wrong with either, IMO.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I appreciate all of the input. I will do some more research on some of the turntables listed tonight.

I was leaning towards the U-Turn because it looked like decent bang for my buck. I don’t know enough about 80s Hi Fi equipment to know where to begin looking when it comes to buying used stuff. Maybe that will be a side project later but for now I think I should probably buy new and reduce my risk of not knowing wtf is wrong with my setup.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

pwn posted:

Yeah, I'm nowhere near an audiophile, so this is the one I went with and I love it. While I can see myself upgrading/adding speakers to my setup down the line, I think I'll definitely stick with the player I got. It was about ~$150 for me at Best Buy. :)

Also, if you're a fan of goon-made game Hypnospace Outlaw, this was announced today (no release date yet)! I am swooping on this as soon as it goes up.

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1402314227939872769

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Heartbreak: Though I snapped up solid price\copy of a record from a record store that dumped its collection on discogs and came with a big ol' warp. Hoping these two heavy coffee table books can get it corrected over the next week. Otherwise, I'm shipping it back.

Read After Burning posted:

Also, if you're a fan of goon-made game Hypnospace Outlaw, this was announced today (no release date yet)! I am swooping on this as soon as it goes up.

Playing this game gave me early 90s internet PTSD. Then I got second PTSD by playing the game on an xbox controller.

Such a wonderful throwback.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, I'm nowhere near an audiophile, so this is the one I went with and I love it. While I can see myself upgrading/adding speakers to my setup down the line, I think I'll definitely stick with the player I got. It was about ~$150 for me at Best Buy. :)

I was waiting for this to come along, I figured it'd either be Fangamer or Limited Run Games to do it. Kind of was hoping it'd come with its own keyboard.

Edit: If you need a Hypnospace fix on vinyl right now, You can buy the Klyfta album. Klyfta being one of the made-up bands in the game that has fan pages devoted to them. Great, slightly pretentious instrumental prog rock.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 8, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hekk posted:

I don’t know enough about 80s Hi Fi equipment to know where to begin looking when it comes to buying used stuff. Maybe that will be a side project later but for now I think I should probably buy new and reduce my risk of not knowing wtf is wrong with my setup.

The easy advice is to skip the 80s and go right to the 70s. Most of the big name brands made very solid, dependable decks. Unless you know what you’re looking for, quality dipped starting in the 80s.

My advice for people looking for vintage turntables is that simpler is usually better. Auto start and return are probably going to break on you at some point and you’ll be cueing manually anyways, so if you can find a deck that’s just a motor switch and speed selector you might be happy in the long run.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Hekk posted:

I appreciate all of the input. I will do some more research on some of the turntables listed tonight.

I was leaning towards the U-Turn because it looked like decent bang for my buck. I don’t know enough about 80s Hi Fi equipment to know where to begin looking when it comes to buying used stuff. Maybe that will be a side project later but for now I think I should probably buy new and reduce my risk of not knowing wtf is wrong with my setup.

Data set of 1:

Grew up with my parents having a Technics 1200, then worked at a radio station with a pair of them. Fast forward 23 years and I was looking at both the 1200s successors and the U-turn orbit. Ended up getting the orbit plus based on friends' recommendations and not wanting to spend a ton of money, but was a little wary that I would find its lack of features annoying.

Several months later, I'm glad I went with the U-turn. Its got the features it needs without extra stuff for a great price, and is basically bulletproof.

I do miss the 1200s speed adjustment slider a bit, but thats only when I play an instrument along with a record, and I have tuning knobs to fix that.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I am really hoping this means a reprint of "News at 11" is coming as well! Heads up, though: both contain newscasts/commercials mixed in with the music, which I know some folks find jarring. It throws me off at times, but other times, I think "Take me back to when I was a kid, dammit."

https://twitter.com/needlejuicerec/status/1402056651729948676

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I am really hoping this means a reprint of "News at 11" is coming as well! Heads up, though: both contain newscasts/commercials mixed in with the music, which I know some folks find jarring. It throws me off at times, but other times, I think "Take me back to when I was a kid, dammit."

https://twitter.com/needlejuicerec/status/1402056651729948676

They missed the obvious choice to release it on a Sunday.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did anyone else order the Wiseauwave set from Mthrbord? My order status has said ON HOLD for ages now and curious if that's the same for everyone...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not enough people recommend Fluance turntables in here - they're all in stock now and especially if you live in Canada they're the best price to quality ratio around. They also look sexy.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

The Walrus posted:

Not enough people recommend Fluance turntables in here - they're all in stock now and especially if you live in Canada they're the best price to quality ratio around. They also look sexy.

I don't have any experience with other turntables, but when I got into all this last summer I bought a Fluance RT82, and I love it. It seems really high quality, it was very easy to set up, and it's never given me any trouble. Getting into vinyl was entirely a whim at the time, so I just went with the lowest end of the Fluance reference line, and I have a slight regret about not having just gone for the RT85 and that sweet looking acrylic platter. But other than that (which is probably a foolish regret on my part), I love the RT82. A++, would buy* again.

*[maybe the RT85]

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

BigFactory posted:

The easy advice is to skip the 80s and go right to the 70s. Most of the big name brands made very solid, dependable decks. Unless you know what you’re looking for, quality dipped starting in the 80s.

My advice for people looking for vintage turntables is that simpler is usually better. Auto start and return are probably going to break on you at some point and you’ll be cueing manually anyways, so if you can find a deck that’s just a motor switch and speed selector you might be happy in the long run.
Second. I've had to convert malfunctioning automatic tables to sorta-working manual ones. It never works well-enough that you'll be happy with the results. Also, remember that shipping and turntables, unless they're professionally packed, don't generally get along.

The Walrus posted:

I have an RT85, and it's awesome. It's set up well from the factory (alignment!), and the Ortofon Blue cart is worth the price of admission. It also comes with a pair of white cotton gloves so you can feel extra-fancy whilst setting the thing up.

I'm a little biased, as it's the first turntable I've owned that wasn't used, broken, cobbled-together, or brought back to life. Still happy, tho.

Edit: the speed monitoring/control is also excellent. I have absolute pitch, so when a turntable is off it drives me bonkers.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 9, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Goddamn, I should get off my rear end and see about getting my turntable repaired, the weak connection on the left channel is annoying, and I can't just swap cables because they're hardwired into the machine, god bless 1978 I guess. I find auto return at a minimum to be drat nice and it's essential for my set up as the player is in my basement and the speakers are on the first floor, I ain't running my rear end downstairs to catch it.

In totally irreverent news I guess I'm collecting the lovely late 80s CDs of the Beatles now? The ones that were largely forced into stereo via the worst means possible (instruments on the left, vocals on the right).

Up to 7 of these now: not pictured is Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and Let it Be. I, or someone else, should really start a CD thread.

In actual vinyl news Ship to Shore has another 8 bit artist's record up for preorder this time it's Bit Shifter - Information Chase.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Goddamn, I should get off my rear end and see about getting my turntable repaired, the weak connection on the left channel is annoying, and I can't just swap cables because they're hardwired into the machine, god bless 1978 I guess. I find auto return at a minimum to be drat nice and it's essential for my set up as the player is in my basement and the speakers are on the first floor, I ain't running my rear end downstairs to catch it.

In totally irreverent news I guess I'm collecting the lovely late 80s CDs of the Beatles now? The ones that were largely forced into stereo via the worst means possible (instruments on the left, vocals on the right).

Up to 7 of these now: not pictured is Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and Let it Be. I, or someone else, should really start a CD thread.

In actual vinyl news Ship to Shore has another 8 bit artist's record up for preorder this time it's Bit Shifter - Information Chase.

The masters were also dog poo poo in general. Do yourself a favor and get the 09 reissues. They're a godsend. It's been a while since I listened to the lovely 80s masters but from what I recall that's just the stereo mixes being the stereo mixes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Abbey Road and Let it Be always had normal stereo mixes. Rubber Soul not so much.

And automatic turntables are great, I just wouldn’t recommend one for someone’s first vintage deck. You have a special use situation. Have you checked the headshell wiring? Seems like that would be a more likely issue and easier fix than the actual rca cable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

The masters were also dog poo poo in general. Do yourself a favor and get the 09 reissues. They're a godsend. It's been a while since I listened to the lovely 80s masters but from what I recall that's just the stereo mixes being the stereo mixes.

So the first four albums were issued in mono, but they were played on a stereo tape machine, so they have various phase issues (this is annoyingly common, and if you're going to do this, at least sum the channels to mono before you do this, too many places do this).

Help and Rubber Soul were remixed from the original four tracks, and are the current stereo versions you can get. The rest use the 60s stereo tapes, for better or for worse. The only exception is Magical Mystery Tour, where the fake stereo was replaced with true stereo, except the last half of I Am the Walrus, which is almost always presented in fake stereo (I think they found a copy of the radio broadcast and were able to make a full true stereo version, but it's very rarely used).

The Help and Rubber Soul remixes are... bad. They don't do anything to address the stereo image, uses digital reverb, and overall doesn't seem to have any value. Help has always been a wonky recording that's flat and messy. Rubber Soul was mixed into stereo in a way that would facilitate folding down to mono as an experiment in only doing one mix for an album instead of two. So that's why instruments are far left and vocals are far right and nothing in the middle. That's the easiest to fold into mono and not have weird things happen. However, it was pointless since they also made a discrete mono mix. And for whatever reason, George Martin kept the bizarre imaging when he did his this. And those are the versions they use to this day because George Martin did it and even though he didn't remember doing them in 2009, Apple Music doesn't know how to handle the Beatles catalog.

Your best bet is tracking down the mono boxset and getting the stereo CDs of the White Album, Let it Be, Abby Road, and Past Masters for the 3 songs that aren't on Mono Masters.

And appreciate the glory of the mono mix of Paperback Writer, which kicks the stereo's rear end six ways to Sunday.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BigFactory posted:

Abbey Road and Let it Be always had normal stereo mixes. Rubber Soul not so much.

And automatic turntables are great, I just wouldn’t recommend one for someone’s first vintage deck. You have a special use situation. Have you checked the headshell wiring? Seems like that would be a more likely issue and easier fix than the actual rca cable.

The original Abbey Road stereo mix always sucked, and it was the only Beatles album to not have a mono mix you could fall back on.

The brand new mix of it that came out a year or two ago is a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'll admit that I am not deep enough into the the Beatles to know the minutae of all the mix options and the subtler differences would likely be lost on me. Hell I didn't notice the poo poo job on Rubber Soul until I listened to it with only the left earbud in and realized there was no lyrics and promptly lolled about it. Does any one know if the mono box set is as heavily bootlegged as the stereo one? I tried to get a stereo one years after release and all the listings I found were very suspect. And well, I got my rear end burned before on the Queen box set but at least I was able to return that and source it from a legit place. Don't want to go through all that again because neither the Beatles or Queen sets are cheap.