Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is pretty awesome but!!

I would put a lot lot lot of money on that $199 price being the early bird special price limited to the first 100 units.

I strongly think that the actual retail price is going to be $250-300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The menu reminds me so much of those Nokie Windows phones, lol.

Overall looks very nice although the right stick seems a bit uncomfortably low

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Stop putting the left stick above the dpad. It's way more comfortable, if you're going to use the dpad regularly, to put both sticks on the bottom. Why do people think ABXY are always above the stick? Fuckin hell.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I'm liking what I'm seeing but still want to hear the specs. I understand early looks have to be cagey about certain things if they want to stay in the know though :f5:

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is pretty awesome but!!

I would put a lot lot lot of money on that $199 price being the early bird special price limited to the first 100 units.

I strongly think that the actual retail price is going to be $250-300.

Yeah, there's got to be a catch somewhere. If it sounds too good to be true etc. Cautiously hyped is how I feel about it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My RG351 battery is being wonky. I thought it wasn’t charging cause it keeps saying under 20% but I’ve been here playing PSX for over 30 minutes with it at exactly 0%.

Edit: now it’s been like 3 hours at 0%. Guess the gauge is just super off, I turned the sound off and just have it sitting here in a PSX game.

Decided to order a battery meant for the Odroid Go Super cause apparently it’s better and is a direct swap. Comes in next week.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UItWWp2Gdhc

Finally one of those overpriced mini cabs actually has a roTATEable screen

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 5, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i can't wait until the playdate preorders go up after a million years and it immediately gets sold out by scalper bots

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bowmore posted:

i can't wait until the playdate preorders go up after a million years and it immediately gets sold out by scalper bots

It's an open preorder and they'll be shipping them in waves, so it shouldn't be a problem.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bot still gonna scoop em all up i know it

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Cabel retweeted me once. I’m gonna get one. I know it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Reading a little on the Playdate, they partnered with Teenage Engineering for the design. They make awesome mini synth devices that are very fun. I have the Arcade one.

So yeah now I want a Playdate. Ugh.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i love teenage engineering, wish i could afford an op1

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love portable gadgets because I travel a lot but an OP1 would make me nervous while it’s in my suitcase. 1100 bucks is spicy.

Kinda funny my phone is close to that and I sit on it all the time.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Playdate is getting a price bump to $180 but double the games.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22466184/panic-playdate-handheld-price-double-season-one-games-update-preorder

For that price, I doubt I will pick one up, but I think a lot of people are missing the point. The playdate is meant to be kind of an 'arthouse' console with notable/famous devs putting bespoke projects on there. It's more of a curated art collection than a retro emulator-style console. I will possibly pick one up if the price drops below ~$150.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love the concept honestly, it's pricey but I think it's worth it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Playdate feels like the first console designed for YouTube content creators directly

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Get yourself a Bop It and save $170 man

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my RG351M and V today -- the V surprisingly came with a glass screen protector.

Are there any places in America where I could scoop up one for the 351M? I don't necessarily care that it's made elsewhere, I just want to get it in less than a month's time

Hey I posted this some days ago, but I have an update for anyone in the future. It looks like no one in the US sells just the glass screen protectors alone. It gets even worse because the listings that are just plastic all have "Not Tempered Glass" in the title, so they return as results.

In any case, they sell glass screen protectors for the RG351M in sets like this one for $12 with Prime shipping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092LZ6DNP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it, the screen protector fits as perfectly as the included one with the RG351V. Now all my handhelds are properly protected.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Updog Scully posted:

Playdate is getting a price bump to $180 but double the games.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22466184/panic-playdate-handheld-price-double-season-one-games-update-preorder

For that price, I doubt I will pick one up, but I think a lot of people are missing the point. The playdate is meant to be kind of an 'arthouse' console with notable/famous devs putting bespoke projects on there. It's more of a curated art collection than a retro emulator-style console. I will possibly pick one up if the price drops below ~$150.

I think I’m out at that price, too, but I totally get the appeal of the device. I do love reading some people’s reaction to it though, I’ve seen several “why would I buy this when I can get a $80 emulator handheld with a color screen from Amazon”?.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

everyone loves ~the action crank~

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
cant wait to see what the indie developers come up with for this thing

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just got my 351v... Are there any good setup guides of what firmware/OS I should be running? I want to nuke all the included games

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Retro Game Corps has some good videos, start here:

https://youtu.be/Y5tj1RWD3F8

I’m a fan of 351elec along with several other people. It’s a great handheld though, you’re gonna love it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah I've been having good luck with 351Elec. Literally my only complaint is I need a bigger screen lol. My eyes are awful and even with my glasses I find myself squinting just a tad after a while.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Just got my 351v... Are there any good setup guides of what firmware/OS I should be running? I want to nuke all the included games

Video above is good but its not all that complicated, Pop an SD card in your PC, download Disk Imager on Windows or Balena Etcher on macOS, flash 351ELEC to the SD card, pop it in the 351V, wait, then you're good to go.

After that you just plop all your stuff in the right folders.

Technically, you can plop all your stuff in the second SD card and put that in slot 2 and just have the first with the firmware.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't need another handheld but every time I see that wood grain finish my resolve crumbles more and more

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4veObJ0f9jY

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does the 351v not charge but from crazy specific USB C cables? I’ve tried a half a dozen and only one has worked so far.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If it's the same charging chipset all of these cheap chinese handhelds use it needs to be a USB A to USB C cable, they don't handle anything higher.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It has to be pretty low amp I think. The only things that work is my PS5 and an old iPhone USB brick.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

That's surprising they chose the M over the V, it seems like most people here have preferred the V? I'm still considering getting one or the other but I dunno which to pick really. I feel like maybe I'd like the horizontal form factor more but then again it seems like the V has a better/more appropriate ratio screen?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
A lot of people prefer a horizontal layout and the M screen is perfect for GBA which has a lot of great games. Besides those two things I think the V is the better buy, and it’s not like the V doesn’t look good playing GBA games anyways.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

CFox posted:

A lot of people prefer a horizontal layout and the M screen is perfect for GBA which has a lot of great games. Besides those two things I think the V is the better buy, and it’s not like the V doesn’t look good playing GBA games anyways.

Are they literally the same in terms of performance?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yep, exactly the same.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 9, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I personally like the M more -- it is entirely personal -- but I like the metal build and its size. It feels better in-hand to me than vertical devices do, but the last vertical device I had to use was a Gameboy Color with everything since being horizontal. So that may have some part in it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's also the whole thing where the V only has one stick, and sure PS1 only has like a couple games that require both sticks, but there's quite a few games that control much worse with only one stick or with D-Pad only

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here is the list of ps1 games that require two analog sticks:

Ape Escape

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

There's also the whole thing where the V only has one stick, and sure PS1 only has like a couple games that require both sticks, but there's quite a few games that control much worse with only one stick or with D-Pad only

Can you give some examples? I'm trying to think of like PS1/N64 games or earlier that I would want two sticks for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you give some examples? I'm trying to think of like PS1/N64 games or earlier that I would want two sticks for

I feel like for N64, I would want the second stick to swap in for the c-buttons, since it's only got 4.

And twinstick arcade games like Robotron or Smash TV would play better on 2 sticks.