Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What alignment is arguing about alignments?
According to the ooooold thread title, Awful Stupid.

Edit: God, this thread is fourteen years old.

SuperKlaus posted:

Well, guys, what say we take Mr. Vanderhuge's suggestion and find out if Order of the Stick can support an ongoing thread or if it's best left as something occasionally discussed in the Webcomics Thread or BSS Derailed?
That's a hell of a line to read now, almost a decade and a half later.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What alignment is arguing about alignments?

Famously chaotic neutral

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

According to the ooooold thread title, Awful Stupid.

Edit: God, this thread is fourteen years old.

That's a hell of a line to read now, almost a decade and a half later.

Ive never actually read the first post and of course its an alignment argument

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Taciturn Tactician posted:

even though they seem to not give a single poo poo about you dragging around a chaotic evil goblin party member or a neutral evil undead murderer.

This is the number one weirdest thing in Kingmaker for me. Why the gently caress are Valerie, Linzi, Tristan, Ekundayo, and Octavia (not to mention all your NPC buddies) just totally cool with hanging out with Jaethal, an undead abomination mostly known for murdering those closest to her in order to please her Evil goddess? And that's before we even get into the ridiculous poo poo that happens in her sidequest.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ive never actually read the first post and of course its an alignment argument

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be at the end.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Verus posted:

This is the number one weirdest thing in Kingmaker for me. Why the gently caress are Valerie, Linzi, Tristan, Ekundayo, and Octavia (not to mention all your NPC buddies) just totally cool with hanging out with Jaethal, an undead abomination mostly known for murdering those closest to her in order to please her Evil goddess? And that's before we even get into the ridiculous poo poo that happens in her sidequest.

valerie is a duty robot who will do anything you ask her and tristian is a spinless little bitch who is horrified at her existence but wont do anything about it

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Valerie flat-out argues in favour of raising an old woman as an intelligent undead at one point simply because she asked you to before dying.

She's Stupid Neutral to the extreme and I enjoyed having her around a lot. I just wish her build wasn't awful.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

LukasR23 posted:

Valerie flat-out argues in favour of raising an old woman as an intelligent undead at one point simply because she asked you to before dying.

She's Stupid Neutral to the extreme and I enjoyed having her around a lot. I just wish her build wasn't awful.

idgi, if she asked for it, what's wrong with doing it? Almost seems like a good action, to help an old lady fulfill her dying wish.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

AnoHito posted:

idgi, if she asked for it, what's wrong with doing it? Almost seems like a good action, to help an old lady fulfill her dying wish.

What was it Redcloak said about the undead, even the very most intelligent of them, being nothing more than bits of gore glued together with negative energy?

Dying wish or not, I can't see the creation of a being powered by negative energy to be anything other than an Evil act.

Is it not the dying wish of all Liches to become Liches? Does that make fulfilling their request a Good act?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnoHito posted:

It is a general theme that the undead need to consume life to exist. The weakest ones like zombies and skeletons just kind of fall apart eventually, but pretty much all of the others, and especially those that have intellects have a capital-H Hunger. That need to feed on the living or positive energy grows with the strength and the integrity of the undead, to the point that for things like Liches and Night Stalkers, only periodic infusions of mortal souls can sustain them.

Bringing someone back as an intelligent undead is bringing an abomination into the world, inflicting a terrible curse upon someone, and likely denying a soul entry into its afterlife. In that context, it's pretty easy to see why the creation of undead is ruled as a Evil act throughout most of DnDs history.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

AnoHito posted:

Pathfinder intelligent undead are capital-E Evil in the cosmology. The lead writer has taken a very hard stance on that, and while I disagree with how he's written his cosmology it's the stance the game itself takes. Undead souls are automatically corrupt and evil, no questions asked. The only 'Redemption' for an undead involves no longer being an undead.

James Jacobs posted:

When something's undead, it diverts it. If you think of the souls as a river, when something becomes undead, that's a scoop of water taken out of the river and put into a place far from the river where the water grows stagnant and, without external forces, won't ever join the ocean. (Note: In this metaphor, the ocean is the Great Beyond, and water doesn't evaporate.) An undead is NOT a soul that's moved on, in other words; it's a soul that's become trapped or corrupted before i moved on.

Quoted from an AMA he did a few years back on reddit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Of course this question depends on the setting. You can have good aligned Undead in Forgotten Realms, there's at least one Lich in the direct service of Mystra as something of a Lore Keeper; plus Elven Baelnorns.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It depends on the cosmology/nature of undead in the story.

It just so happrns the process of making intelligent undead in most stories involves boiling down orphans to get eternal life syrup or being cursed to shameful undeath by the gods.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I, for one, would wear being cursed to deathlessness by the Gods of most DND pantheons as a badge of honor. Murder those jerks and topple their thrones.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raenir Salazar posted:

Of course this question depends on the setting. You can have good aligned Undead in Forgotten Realms, there's at least one Lich in the direct service of Mystra as something of a Lore Keeper; plus Elven Baelnorns.

The D&D reasoning, AFAIK, is that most undead are inherently evil because they're once-living beings infused with life-draining negative energy. Baelnorn (and some mummies) are instead powered by life-giving positive energy and therefore are not inherently corrupt.

Why the animation of more willing, non-evil undead is not a more common concept, I do not know. Maybe raising someone from the dead is technically positive energy necromancy, and positive undead creatures aren't technically undead, so much as immortal?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Isn't positive energy necromancy just resurrection?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think the big difference is whether its being done via arcane or divine means. A wizard reviving someone from the dead is going to look very different from a cleric doing so.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Thanks to someone talking about the beginning of this thread, I started reading through it (I think a similar rule to "Don't click on an OOTS link unless you're prepared to read 50+ strips" applies here), and

I just got the joke about V and Pompey's names after someone pointed it out. 15 years later. Son of a *bitch*. :argh:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I prefer the Discworld approach to undead, not all of them are evil but most of them are assholes. Perfect and I can have cool undead NPCs that aren't evil.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
We already live in a world ruled by evil abominations that hide behind the flimsy mask of false personhood as they drain the living of their souls and vitality to satisfy their endless hunger, corrupt the natural environment by their every action and commit every possible atrocity in their bid for world conquest. We just call them "corporations" rather than "undead".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah that's where I ended up. If you make someone into a baelnorn or positive mummy, you just resurrect them so hard they stop aging and maybe get some supernatural powers on top of that. It works.

E:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

We already live in a world ruled by evil abominations that hide behind the flimsy mask of false personhood as they drain the living of their souls and vitality to satisfy their endless hunger, corrupt the natural environment by their every action and commit every possible atrocity in their bid for world conquest. We just call them "corporations" rather than "undead".

I'm pretty sure there's tons of analyses of vampire stories that point out they're literally just descriptions of aristocracy with a fancy supernatural twist. Corporations are just the modern versions of feudal aristocrats. They're not just comparable to the undead, they're what inspired them.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 8, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ugly John posted:

I just got the joke about V and Pompey's names after someone pointed it out. 15 years later. Son of a *bitch*. :argh:

...dammit!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dracula is a story about the aristocracy. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is a story where vampires are the aristocracy.

But some classic superstitions and folktales about vampires have them as vengeful spirits or crazy monsters without any of the flair or class. A family starts dying off in a way like they're having the life drained out of them (maybe because they're sick and spreading disease) and it's blamed on a dead relative rising from the dead to take them, and in order to stop the vampire they exhume the corpse and rip out and eat its heart.

The actual superstitions that gave birth to monsters are a lot weirder than you'd expect.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ugly John posted:

There's a joke?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Mt. Vesuvius is the volcano that buried the town of Pompeii.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, duh. For some reason my brain tried going into direction of Pompey the Great and I had no idea how V was supposed to fit into that.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure there's tons of analyses of vampire stories that point out they're literally just descriptions of aristocracy with a fancy supernatural twist. Corporations are just the modern versions of feudal aristocrats. They're not just comparable to the undead, they're what inspired them.

Vampire stories often prominently feature aristocratic or romantic elements, but that doesn't really have anything to do with undead. It's just what kinds of stories appealed to people at the time vampire fiction first became popular.

The folk vampires that eventually inspired vampire fiction usually lived in the town graveyard, not grand lonely castles. However, it's a lot harder to make a dramatic adventure story based around a panicked mob digging up the graves of people who've died recently to see if any of the corpses haven't decomposed as much as expected.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Mummies are literally undead royals.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The first vampire aristocrat story I can think of basically birthed the modern genre (dracula was clearly influenced about) and it was about a sexy seductive lesbian vampire.

I cant actually think of an aristocrat vampire prior to that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The first vampire aristocrat story I can think of basically birthed the modern genre (dracula was clearly influenced about) and it was about a sexy seductive lesbian vampire.

I cant actually think of an aristocrat vampire prior to that.

Vampires were originally filthy disgusting peasant blood suckers. Everything everyone knows about vampires is a purely modern invention.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A.o.D. posted:

Vampires were originally filthy disgusting peasant blood suckers. Everything everyone knows about vampires is a purely modern invention.

Well, "modern" but not in the sense that anyone but a history nerd would call modern to be fair. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

A.o.D. posted:

Yes, that is why I said the first aristocrat vampire story is what birthed the modern genre.

Although I was actually wrong about it being Camilla, which inspired Dracula. That came later. The first one was the one where the vampire was explicitly based on Lord Byron by one of his jilted lovers, aka The Vampyre

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

A.o.D. posted:

Mummies are literally undead royals.

Mummies as undead seems to have been a concept invented by Europeans in the 19th century, as part of a general fascination with Egyptian culture that arose in the 19th century after European empires started making incursions into Egypt. The point of mummifying, like so many other cultures' burial/post-death rituals, was to send the soul safely off into the afterlife (which, not coincidentally, is also perceived by many cultures as putting an end to the risk of various post-death horrors that might be exacted upon the community).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

you could look on it as a revenge for colonialism, i guess

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
brb, gonna eat me some mummy soup.

And completely ignore that's cannibalism.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why would you eat mummies? Everybody knows you are supposed to use them as fuel for your trains. Just pile those ancient human corpses right in the firebox.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Waste of good paint ingredients, imo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I sure hope Rich isn't undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why would you eat mummies? Everybody knows you are supposed to use them as fuel for your trains. Just pile those ancient human corpses right in the firebox.

The joke in futurama about eating a mummy was not made up out of nowhere.