Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

nice, I'll see you when the canvassing starts in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

nice, I'll see you when the canvassing starts in that case

:hai:

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

sbaldrick posted:

The biggest shock coming to boomers and it’s already happening is what happens when they say “I pay your salary” at a retirement or LTC home. No matter how expensive the home is you can’t afford private nursing and you / your family will be told it right quick if the nurse threatens to leave.

There will not be a labor shortage because the boomers will just vote for more immigration. Sorry but they are never going to see any repercussions for their intergenerational theft.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

human garbage bag posted:

There will not be a labor shortage because the boomers will just vote for more immigration. Sorry but they are never going to see any repercussions for their intergenerational theft.

Immigration is fine for PSW but most don’t generally have the time for a 4 year nursing course. That’s sad to say but overseas degrees aren’t accepted and never will be.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

sbaldrick posted:

Immigration is fine for PSW but most don’t generally have the time for a 4 year nursing course. That’s sad to say but overseas degrees aren’t accepted and never will be.

Aren’t nurses the main export of the Philippines?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lmao gottem

https://twitter.com/pwaldkirch/status/1402335388782366722?s=20

The nimby left will go on and on about the need for public housing, coops yada yada, but good heavens if you build it where they live... nope!

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 8, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The “better, smarter place” to build this housing is never in their neighbourhoods. Weird.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
thread anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE3KPWwiRz8

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!
we really need to build more housing, apparently some landlords only own a measly 1 or 2 rental properties

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Somebody please think of the low-income landlords

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Pierre Poilievre in the House of Commons.

https://youtu.be/7hn2b5-50go

Finally, something sensible from a politician on the state of affairs (though I disagree with some of his explanations, at least the issue and effect is being highlighted. Not that anything is going to change.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Finally, something sensible from a politician on the state of affairs (though I disagree with some of his explanations, at least the issue and effect is being highlighted. Not that anything is going to change.)

A surprisingly realistic outlook on the situation, from a conservative, though the proposed solutions would just make the problem worse.

Opening the floodgates to more construction in the name of "increasing supply" isn't going to give access to cheaper houses for working class homeowners, it's going to reinforce the stranglehold that developers have on supply. The windfalls landlords have gotten from jacking up prices will allow them to buy more of that property and keep on siphoning wealth upwards rather than downwards.

All of this while pushing out "affordable" housing further and further out, forcing longer commutes on middle class workers and exploding urban sprawl.

Good old conservative double speak of "looking out for the working man" while actually giving kickbacks to the wealthy. :jerkbag:

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 12, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rich coming from a member of that landed aristocracy like Poilievre.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Poilievre was Harper's main attack dog who was known for going on TV and repeating any falsehood he was told by the PMO no matter how ridiculous it was. if you ever think he sounds sensible or earnest, it's because he's conning you

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah he’s an idiot. Not that Trudeau is any better, but that doesn’t really change anything.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why don't we build more modular housing out of interconnected shipping containers, but actually store them on cargo ships? That way you can easily relocate to any port town of your captain's choice every 2-4 weeks.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Perhaps a deal could be worked out with the captain where instead of getting a job, you could work on the boat and in the yard in exchange for food and board. The captain could even trade your services to other captains/people of wealth in exchange for goods and services. It could even be worldwide... some sort of people service trade

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

Poilievre was Harper's main attack dog who was known for going on TV and repeating any falsehood he was told by the PMO no matter how ridiculous it was. if you ever think he sounds sensible or earnest, it's because he's conning you

Even a con artist can tell the truth once in a while.

On this issue, the source of truthful comments is a secondary concern. After all, it’s not as though there are a surplus of voices advocating for change on this issue.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Even a con artist can tell the truth once in a while.

On this issue, the source of truthful comments is a secondary concern. After all, it’s not as though there are a surplus of voices advocating for change on this issue.

The disconnect comes when they are actually proposing solutions. I guarantee you nobody in the CPC will be pushing for mass building of government owned housing anytime soon, the lack of housing affordability to them is nothing but an excuse to tear down housing regulations so their home builder friends can build whatever monstrosities they want, even if they do nothing to increase affordability.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah like that is just to trick people into voting for right wingers who will implement right wing solutions like getting rid of building codes

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Whenever I hear conservatives talking about the need for More Supply I'm deeply skeptical they're talking about doing what YIMBYS want, which is upzoning the low density, under utilized neighbourhoods of rich established single family homeowners. No it's about enabling the "Free Market", being able to build without restrictions, which means eroding green belt protections and building more single family home sprawl way out further in the burbs. Hand in hand that is reducing development fees under the guise of trying to save the end buyer money. This reduces municipal revenues and forces municipalities to do less and "stick to the basics" which is coincidentally the sort of "less government" thing the conservatives want. A giant [citation needed] here by the way on the notion that development fees increase the end price of homes.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

The disconnect comes when they are actually proposing solutions. I guarantee you nobody in the CPC will be pushing for mass building of government owned housing anytime soon, the lack of housing affordability to them is nothing but an excuse to tear down housing regulations so their home builder friends can build whatever monstrosities they want, even if they do nothing to increase affordability.

That's a fair point. We need solutions that actually work, not those that are solely driven by ideology without reference to evidence for success.

What's ironic to me is why conservatives, if they are so about the free market, aren't more obvious and eager to dismantle healthcare? For someone like me who works in the system, I could stop worrying about affording a house because my salary would triple.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

What's ironic to me is why conservatives, if they are so about the free market, aren't more obvious and eager to dismantle healthcare? For someone like me who works in the system, I could stop worrying about affording a house because my salary would triple.

Oh, they are, but public healthcare is pretty core to the "Canadian Identity" and coming straight for it is a recipe to Never Get Elected.

It still happens, just slower and not in full light

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

With regards to public healthcare, when conservatives get in power their strategy is usually to allocate less and less each year in the budget for healthcare and to tell hospitals and doctors to "do more with less". The end goal is that the waiting times increase and service gets worse so much so that it becomes easier to convince people that public healthcare simply doesn't work financially and only the competition of the free market can bring it back to maturity.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ask noted plague province Manitoba how great reducing funding to the healthcare system under a Conservative government is going.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Condo developer to buy $1-billion worth of single-family houses in Canada for rentals

Non-paywall archive

quote:

Core’s main business is condo development, and it has 14 projects in the Toronto region. Last fall, Mr. Hawtin raised $250-million from investors to buy approximately 400 properties, add basement apartments and turn the houses into two rental units.
Core is targeting eight midsized cities in Ontario, and this year started buying properties in Kingston, St. Catharines, London, Barrie, Hamilton, Peterborough and Cambridge. It will soon start buying in Guelph. Its medium-term goal is to have a $1-billion portfolio of 4,000 rental units in Ontario, Quebec, B.C. and Atlantic Canada by 2026.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

This sort of landlordism creates nothing and needs to be taxed into oblivion.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Love looking at the impending future of living like a serf in a g7 country lmao

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Slotducks posted:

Love looking at the impending future of living like a serf in a g7 country lmao

Don't be silly. You're not going to have any actual land to work. Also, the neighbourhood park is now more shoebox condos.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Whenever I hear conservatives talking about the need for More Supply I'm deeply skeptical they're talking about doing what YIMBYS want, which is upzoning the low density, under utilized neighbourhoods of rich established single family homeowners. No it's about enabling the "Free Market", being able to build without restrictions, which means eroding green belt protections and building more single family home sprawl way out further in the burbs. Hand in hand that is reducing development fees under the guise of trying to save the end buyer money. This reduces municipal revenues and forces municipalities to do less and "stick to the basics" which is coincidentally the sort of "less government" thing the conservatives want. A giant [citation needed] here by the way on the notion that development fees increase the end price of homes.

I largely agree with you. As noted above, the solutions he proposes are hyper-simplistic. Any time someone starts saying "the problem is supply and demand", it makes me think the person's total exposure to economics and public policy came from the Daily Double answer off of Jeopardy a couple of weeks ago.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

This makes me really hope housing prices tumble one day and these loving prats get demolished on collateral calls. But we all know the govt would never let that happen so.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Also some other parasite would just use it as a real estate buying opportunity.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

loving hell - Billion dollar development groups going to become the new Landed Gentry. SCI-FI got it all wrong, we aren't doing PMC countries, we're doing Trillion Dollar Landed Gentry Companies carving out land for themselves.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

qhat posted:

This makes me really hope housing prices tumble one day and these loving prats get demolished on collateral calls. But we all know the govt would never let that happen so.

if there's a crash then a bunch of landlord companies like these are gonna swoop in and buy all the homes on the cheap and it'll get worse. Per the article, that's what happened in the US

I sometimes think "oh well when the boomers all die off who will they sell it to?" but then I realize: oh yeah, landlords :(

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This is why the conservatives plan of opening up regulations is going to fail - Uncle George (or the billion dollar hedgefund company) is going to get their 13th property (or 760th) before cousin Jane gets her first.

If there's no incentive to sell to a first time home buyer, the already landed will continue to amass more and more land.

There needs to be reform and controls in all this - Create incentives to sell to a first time home buyer, reform realtor procedures, reform tax code for more than 2 properties. Remove most incentives for hoarding properties.

gently caress it. New rule: If you sell to a first time home buyer, you are exempt from paying capital gains taxes on that property transaction.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You already are exempt from capital gains if it's your primary residence.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

McGavin posted:

People hoarding property aren’t likely selling their primary residence and there is talk about ending that practice of exemption

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

McGavin posted:

Creating an incentive for people with multiple properties to leave the market and reduce people using a basic housing needs as an investment vehicle is the intent.

Like how many times do we hear stories of those poor low-income landlords grousing about how difficult it is to be a landlord; the laws are so against them, but then when you put them to task of selling off their property they're weary about selling it off because of ~ ~ ~ Capital Gains Taxes ~ ~ ~

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 15, 2021

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Slotducks posted:

This is why the conservatives plan of opening up regulations is going to fail - Uncle George (or the billion dollar hedgefund company) is going to get their 13th property (or 760th) before cousin Jane gets her first.

If there's no incentive to sell to a first time home buyer, the already landed will continue to amass more and more land.

There needs to be reform and controls in all this - Create incentives to sell to a first time home buyer, reform realtor procedures, reform tax code for more than 2 properties. Remove most incentives for hoarding properties.

gently caress it. New rule: If you sell to a first time home buyer, you are exempt from paying capital gains taxes on that property transaction.

People already use their children to buy propertys to avoid taxes. Also, it's not so much that you can't buy a hoke as much as you can't reasonably rent one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Purgatory Glory posted:

People already use their children to buy propertys to avoid taxes. Also, it's not so much that you can't buy a hoke as much as you can't reasonably rent one either.

yeah i know this but the current solution of providing households that make upwards of 121k usd isn't a solution either

mao had the right idea in the 50s but I generally don't think Justin's going to sign off on that...