Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

“Ah it’s not legally entrapment” kinda misses the point when yes technically when the fbi goes out tricking mentally ill or handicapped people into doing crimes they’d never do without the fbi’s involvement it technically isn’t entrapment because the fbi danced around saying the naughty words.

but we all know they’re entrapping those people

its like saying that "cops dont murder black people because technically murder is a legal term and basically none of them got convicted"

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

nut posted:

inviting all my thread friends to the woods to figure out where in south america jeffrey epstine is

he's been under everyone's noses in brooklyn the entire time!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Laterite posted:

he's been under everyone's noses in brooklyn the entire time!

tell your supervisors thats the wrong classroom the superpedo is in that other one

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sleekly posted:

:clint: leaving aside yog-sothoth and Atlantean art and a few other obvious bits of silliness the government shenanigans and the number of useful idiots completely clueless yet feeling entirely purposeful rings p true sometimes

leaving aside the cosmic entities is a mistake imo

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ziggy Smalls posted:

So why did the royal family have Diana murdered?

She wasn't into the sick poo poo Charles was doing and eventually they shut her up permanently.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

She wasn't into the sick poo poo Charles was doing and eventually they shut her up permanently.

its not sick poo poo, it's totally normal stuff necessary to maintain the authority of the crown, nbd

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Delta-Wye posted:

its not sick poo poo, it's totally normal stuff necessary to maintain the authority of the crown, nbd

"Look, if we don't satiate the Moon Child it'll take all the first-born children of the lands we rule. The Irish are safe, but everyone else in the UK and Commonwealth is not."

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

“Ah it’s not legally entrapment” kinda misses the point when yes technically when the fbi goes out tricking mentally ill or handicapped people into doing crimes they’d never do without the fbi’s involvement it technically isn’t entrapment because the fbi danced around saying the naughty words.

its like saying that "cops dont murder black people because technically murder is a legal term and basically none of them got convicted"

we’re not talking about mentally ill people but an international criminal group that was making plans to kill people. I really doubt they got entrapped because the feds gave them an app.

entrap in this case means the feds got a bunch of nobodies to start an international criminal conspiracy when they wouldnt have done so on their own.you can say that for those terrorism charges by it seems unlikely in a situation involving tons of coke and like $150 million.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cached Money posted:

I know the concept of end to end encryption is hard to understand but try to understand that it is way easier to hack someone's phone than it is to break the encryption itself

edit: also signal is fully open source so it's not really possible to hide back doors in it

:wrong:

I recommend using Signal with friends to talk about subjects like pizza because it’s better than, say, Messenger. You might be able to rely on it to protect yourself from, say, nation-states that might lack close US intelligence relations, but you’re pretty hosed if the US wants to spy on your poo poo.

You can math all day coming up with complex encryption schemes but there are many, many other vectors they can get you with, starting from modifying binaries in the App Store to changing OS code to directly exploiting hooks in the hardware placed there specifically for the government to pwn yuo. Even if you assumed there’s no way for them to modify the binary, the latest source code wasn’t even published until a month ago or so, long after people complained about it. At the end of the day, Signal is a cryptocurrency scheme cooked up by a US government contractor who calls himself Moxie Marlinspike.

If you’re serious, try an airgapped non-x86 SoC running a barebones OS that you will only use to encrypt and decrypt GPG messages

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

entrap in this case means the feds got a bunch of nobodies to start an international criminal conspiracy when they wouldnt have done so on their own.you can say that for those terrorism charges by it seems unlikely in a situation involving tons of coke and like $150 million.

lol at coming to the epstine thread to say the feds would never ever get a bunch of nobodies to start an international cocaine trafficking enterprise

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

I recommend using Signal with friends to talk about subjects like pizza

:yikes: mods?!?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at coming to the epstine thread to say the feds would never ever get a bunch of nobodies to start an international cocaine trafficking enterprise

I didn’t say that, I said it was unlikely.

edit: the entire point of this thread is that there are crooks *everywhere*. now if you told me that the cia made the app and and Australian police accidentally interdicted it that would be in-line with this thread.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Jun 9, 2021

nut
Jul 30, 2019

there’s been some recent updates on the Nova Scotia killer from last year who not only dressed up like RCMP in a car decorated to look like a cop car, but also seemed to likely be an RCMP asset. there’s a lot of public frustration over the continuing bizarre coverup by the RCMP in response to public questioning about why Woortman was free to kill for so long without the RCMP warning the public.

Frank magazine recently released 911 call recordings by some of the witnesses (some to later become victims) proving the RCMP knew about the killers identity and appearance upwards of 12 hours before they reported it to the public. Frank magazine also just released gas station footage that is inconsistent with RCMP oversight committee conclusions. in one, the killer (now changed clothing) tries and fails to fill up at a gas station right beside rcmp in full tactical gear before driving off and in the other, rcmp at another gas station jump out and light him up.

https://www.frankmagazine.ca/leakedsecurityvideo these are the gas station videos. if you want the 911 calls they are on the frank site but they are terribly sad and I don’t want to directly link them

it’s such a horrible and confusing story

nut
Jul 30, 2019

btw, the RCMP did finally come out and make an unequivocal statement about the killings

they said they swear they will get to the bottom of who leaked the calls to the press

https://twitter.com/torontostar/status/1400588345936429056?s=21

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Cached Money posted:

edit: also signal is fully open source so it's not really possible to hide back doors in it
the source code could be perfectly written but that's not any guarantee that is the code that is executed

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
if you don't want people to hear you you just go out to the middle of the ocean, like at one of David Geffens Yacht parties

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

if you don't want people to hear you you just go out to the middle of the ocean, like at one of David Geffens Yacht parties

just off the canary islands would be my suggestion :laugh:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nut posted:

there’s been some recent updates on the Nova Scotia killer from last year who not only dressed up like RCMP in a car decorated to look like a cop car, but also seemed to likely be an RCMP asset. there’s a lot of public frustration over the continuing bizarre coverup by the RCMP in response to public questioning about why Woortman was free to kill for so long without the RCMP warning the public.

Frank magazine recently released 911 call recordings by some of the witnesses (some to later become victims) proving the RCMP knew about the killers identity and appearance upwards of 12 hours before they reported it to the public. Frank magazine also just released gas station footage that is inconsistent with RCMP oversight committee conclusions. in one, the killer (now changed clothing) tries and fails to fill up at a gas station right beside rcmp in full tactical gear before driving off and in the other, rcmp at another gas station jump out and light him up.

https://www.frankmagazine.ca/leakedsecurityvideo these are the gas station videos. if you want the 911 calls they are on the frank site but they are terribly sad and I don’t want to directly link them

it’s such a horrible and confusing story

If you want a really deep dive, the Nighttime Podcast by Jordan Bonaparte has a now 17 part series with the author of that, Paul Palango. I've fallen behind, I think I'm on part 7 or 8, and it's definitely worth a listen if you have the time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cached Money posted:

they specifically set up An0m to entrap criminals though

There's a difference between wiretapping and entrapment, even though both of them are things that feds do. This is wiretapping - they give them a phone that lets the feds spy on all their messages, and the false assurance of security makes them talk openly about pre-existing criminal plans. Entrapment is when they give a guy lots of money to join al-Qaeda, then arrest him for being a member of al-Qaeda and announce that they stopped a dangerous terrorist plot.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

I recommend using Signal with friends

:negative:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nut posted:

in one, the killer (now changed clothing) tries and fails to fill up at a gas station

idiot

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
phone hacked so what

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nut posted:

btw, the RCMP did finally come out and make an unequivocal statement about the killings

they said they swear they will get to the bottom of who leaked the calls to the press

G L A D I O

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

this isn't entrapment in the technical sense, or any other sense

downloading the app and using the app wasn't itself illegal, if you just used this app to send totally legal and consenting dick pics to your buds, nobody is showing up at your door presumably (and you might even have cause to sue to the government!) but in the case of the all the people who downloaded the app so they could have Facebook For Crimes, the app was not encouraging anyone to crime or even pretending to be something criminals should inherently want.

On the "lovely cop ethics entrapment ladder" the closest comparison I can think of would be a bait car, except this is dumber than a bait car, this is like, the cops set up a bait heist planning warehouse, and then advertised it on reddit
as a good place to plan crimes, on account of there being no security cameras (so you shouldn't check for security cameras, guys, and just take our word for it that you can plan a heist here)

This story is one of those ones that just stinks because what the cops are doing feels ethically dubious but when you examine it closely they're not really doing anything other than lying to people about how much they can trust cops to not lie to them

Like, literally, "you can trust us - this data's totally encrpyted! it's very, very encrypted data, we promise! we wouldn't lie to you, we're not cops!"

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Jun 9, 2021

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Downloading Signal from an app store also means that download is forever associated with your google or apple account and device(s), which has all your other personal info attached to it. Automated device cloud backups (which happen on an opt-out basis, last I checked) have been known to be handed over to the feds upon request. Signal itself could be technically sound but simply used as one indicator that you may have something to hide and to compromise your device another way to access your communications in the event that you are under investigation. The feds could also just work with google/apple to upload a backdoored version to the app store for certain users under suspicion and there'd be no easy way to know.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

any app you can download through the Google or Apple store is necessarily compromised from the fact that it's published in the store, and it's cool to learn that software you can access outside that is of course compromised too

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Downloading Signal from an app store also means that download is forever associated with your google or apple account and device(s), which has all your other personal info attached to it. Automated device cloud backups (which happen on an opt-out basis, last I checked) have been known to be handed over to the feds upon request. Signal itself could be technically sound but simply used as one indicator that you may have something to hide and to compromise your device another way to access your communications in the event that you are under investigation. The feds could also just work with google/apple to upload a backdoored version to the app store for certain users under suspicion and there'd be no easy way to know.

Encryption is one of those things that makes you a little bit safer if you're a nobody and doing nothing of importance. Trying to buy "the friendly sort" of drugs for one or two people? Are you doing some petty crimes? Are you just paranoid? using an encrypted messaging service makes it impractical for law enforcement to bother you, and may keep you safe. But let's be real here: these apps were mostly designed to make it easier for corporate executives to skirt regulatory policies, and for teens to talk about hook ups and drug use without their parents finding out about it. I would not put a lot of faith in Signal if you're trying to use it to formulate a plot or coordinate a drug cartel

if they want your information badly enough and google/apple are feeling cooperative enough, they can get you just on the keystrokes and audio they don't, but very definitely do constantly passively log

at some point in the next decade the extent of how much analytics data Google and Amazon are gathering is going to become an actual scandal, and lmao, whew lad we are not ready for this revelation

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Jun 9, 2021

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

I recommend using Signal with friends to talk about subjects like pizza because it’s better than, say, Messenger. You might be able to rely on it to protect yourself from, say, nation-states that might lack close US intelligence relations, but you’re pretty hosed if the US wants to spy on your poo poo.

You can math all day coming up with complex encryption schemes but there are many, many other vectors they can get you with, starting from modifying binaries in the App Store to changing OS code to directly exploiting hooks in the hardware placed there specifically for the government to pwn yuo. Even if you assumed there’s no way for them to modify the binary, the latest source code wasn’t even published until a month ago or so, long after people complained about it. At the end of the day, Signal is a cryptocurrency scheme cooked up by a US government contractor who calls himself Moxie Marlinspike.

If you’re serious, try an airgapped non-x86 SoC running a barebones OS that you will only use to encrypt and decrypt GPG messages

you literally said the exact same thing I said with more words, it's still not the encryption that is compromised in your scenario, it is your device and the services it relies on that are compromiseable, the encryption protocol signal uses is solid. of course the most secure way is to do the thing you said, but it still doesn't protect you from, as I mentioned earlier, the feds putting cameras in your home or putting a hardware keylogger in the keyboard you use to type out your messages

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Trabisnikof posted:

the fbi already does the trick of catfishing a lonely guy then dumping him once he’s in love then catfishing again with a new rebound cutie that just wants you to do a little bit of terrorism to prove you love her

when does the rebound chick show up

asking for a friend

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I got off scot free because the rebound one turned me down for being too awkward

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

G L A D I E H

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Happy Thread posted:

I got off scot free because the rebound one turned me down for being too awkward

Radio War Nerd did a bit on COINTELPRO infiltration of left media; in one case the founder of a paper got paranoid about cops and demanded that no one write for the paper of they didn't live on his hippie commune. This worked because the cop assigned to the paper refused to put up with living with them.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Cached Money posted:

you literally said the exact same thing I said with more words, it's still not the encryption that is compromised in your scenario, it is your device and the services it relies on that are compromiseable, the encryption protocol signal uses is solid. of course the most secure way is to do the thing you said, but it still doesn't protect you from, as I mentioned earlier, the feds putting cameras in your home or putting a hardware keylogger in the keyboard you use to type out your messages

"BUT the underlying encryption technology theoretically works as intended!!" when it runs on intrinsically insecure and surveillance-oriented platforms sounds like a desperate nerd flex and not a strategy for protecting your communications in any way really. Seems like E2E encryption gets touted as a purely technical solution to a human problem, and when someone points out the bullshit premise of that line of thinking, the apologists immediately retreat to ever-narrower definitions of E2E's value and suggest they just don't understand the technology (very human of them).

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Jun 9, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
guess its time for criminals to go back to one time pads on paper

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

nut posted:

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/the-police-10-portapique/

This whole thing is so hosed up. I'm not up on the latest developments but it seems like the RCMP was covering for this guy because he was an informant / asset even while he was in the midst of mass shooting and burning 22 people over ~15 hours driving around in a police uniform in the replica police car.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ymgve posted:

guess its time for criminals to go back to one time pads on paper

Fax machine?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

the fbi already does the trick of catfishing a lonely guy then dumping him once he’s in love then catfishing again with a new rebound cutie that just wants you to do a little bit of terrorism to prove you love her

this rules lol it just completely owns

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

cagliostr0 posted:

It has always been true and always will be true that just meetings in the middle of Savannah's are the only way to have secure communications

[laughs in hyperbolic microphone]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

this rules lol it just completely owns

and even if you refuse to do the terrorism they still arrest you for wasting their time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

any app you can download through the Google or Apple store is necessarily compromised from the fact that it's published in the store, and it's cool to learn that software you can access outside that is of course compromised too

The app store version isn't the same version as the one that's opens ourced and published on github for example.

There's been complaints that things published on say google appstore add a bunch of google tracking poo poo to the app which it doesn't have in the published source code.

So yeah you'd either have to get it from a trusted source or compile it yourself.