Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Eyes Have It posted:

Box cats best cats. We found that letting the cat chill in the box next to what's going on seems to be the magic solution to her getting kind of needy during a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
whoa all the KDM expansions finally made it good

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

whoa all the KDM expansions finally made it good

Kitten Dear Mouser

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

oof having to tactfully handle my mates fiancee inviting herself to the TI day, when I think it's a bad match up for her skill level. Thinking of just hosting another game day this weekend so she doesn't feel left out.
I wish my players would just PM me instead of making me look like an arsehole if I politely say 'No sorry' in the group chat.

I know that's a very ~1st World Problem~ to have, but yeah.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Box cats best cats. We found that letting the cat chill in the box next to what's going on seems to be the magic solution to her getting kind of needy during a game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

more 18xxes need to have mechanisms for ending the game earlier. That late game run-good phase is the only part of the game I dislike. The greater the liklihood for catastrophic bullshit happening and ending the game, the more interesting it is. Why yes, I'm a big fan of 57.

1857 looks insane. I would love to play this but damned if I am not fond of print and playing components. "Short and fierce" sounds like an A+ experience.

I find 18MEX usually ends quickly because of the stock price but I think if we played it more consistently you'd see people trashing the leader more. That's something 18xx.games makes painfully clear: who's winning and by how much.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Infinitum posted:

oof having to tactfully handle my mates fiancee inviting herself to the TI day, when I think it's a bad match up for her skill level. Thinking of just hosting another game day this weekend so she doesn't feel left out.
I wish my players would just PM me instead of making me look like an arsehole if I politely say 'No sorry' in the group chat.

I know that's a very ~1st World Problem~ to have, but yeah.

Yeah I now have a 'you must check with me' to invite guests after one person brought a person who is known for severe AP to a game day.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TI is definitely not for the uninitiated. A full game would be invite only of people who have played before, and who has cleared their schedule sufficiently for the long haul.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

1857 looks insane. I would love to play this but damned if I am not fond of print and playing components. "Short and fierce" sounds like an A+ experience.

I find 18MEX usually ends quickly because of the stock price but I think if we played it more consistently you'd see people trashing the leader more. That's something 18xx.games makes painfully clear: who's winning and by how much.

It's a chaotic and wonderful experience. If everyone is playing conservatively, the most extremely reckless and aggressive player wins, and vice versa. With experienced 18xx players who are happy to play stock fuckery, it typically ends with some kind of train rush bankruptcy, where one player goes bankrupt and the game ends, and (as one of my friends puts it) the winner is the person who also was about to go bankrupt but who didn't because someone else did just before them and the game ended. As a result there's a lot of jockeying for good position in the priority deal order and playing right down to the wire. It perfectly models the financial card houses that 18xx is supposed to be exploring.

I've only played a little bit of it, but I've seen people do poo poo like sell shares of a company that they own 6 shares of to move a company later in the turn order, only to have their opponent do the same to their own stock to counter it, which I've never seen happen in e.g. 1830.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CommonShore posted:

It's a chaotic and wonderful experience. If everyone is playing conservatively, the most extremely reckless and aggressive player wins, and vice versa. With experienced 18xx players who are happy to play stock fuckery, it typically ends with some kind of train rush bankruptcy, where one player goes bankrupt and the game ends, and (as one of my friends puts it) the winner is the person who also was about to go bankrupt but who didn't because someone else did just before them and the game ended. As a result there's a lot of jockeying for good position in the priority deal order and playing right down to the wire. It perfectly models the financial card houses that 18xx is supposed to be exploring.

I've only played a little bit of it, but I've seen people do poo poo like sell shares of a company that they own 6 shares of to move a company later in the turn order, only to have their opponent do the same to their own stock to counter it, which I've never seen happen in e.g. 1830.

You're killing me with this description. I love 18xx and if someone wants to play it I am almost always down for a game of whatever, but this sounds like the real high-octane meat-grinder experience that I'm looking for. Out of curiosity, how did you play it? I'm tempted to dip into the world of PnP to make the map if it's as fun as you've described.

Infinitum posted:

In any other (non giant) game... whatever, I can suck it up and do a teaching game and hope for the best. TI:4??? Are you kidding me? That's quickly a "time to play on your fiance's team" territory.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 7, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that sounds amazing. I've only played 1830 -- which I really enjoy -- but my least favorite part of it is how it ends (or more accurately, how it usually kind of doesn't)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FulsomFrank posted:

You're killing me with this description. I love 18xx and if someone wants to play it I am almost always down for a game of whatever, but this sounds like the real high-octane meat-grinder experience that I'm looking for. Out of curiosity, how did you play it? I'm tempted to dip into the world of PnP to make the map if it's as fun as you've described.

1857 is a John Bohrer game, so your choices are pay silly money for a copy, or pirate it.
e: he keeps pdf's of the rulebook and full pictures of the map off BGG so pirating it is not trivial either.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 7, 2021

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got another two Oath games in. Both were victories for me, the chancellor.

The first game was Oath of The People, won by a combination of late game economic trickery and a lucky Stable Regime roll.

The second game was Oath of Protection, won by pitting the exiles against each other after they kicked my teeth in and stole 6! relics from me. They scrabbled and ended the final round of the game with equal amounts of relics (citizen holding oathkeeper) and no usurper, resulting in Empire vic. Felt dirty and really good.

The weirdest card interaction has been the Tinkerer's Fair, which in two out of three games has been used by the Chancellor to trade away their Scepter to push a relic / banner count one way or the other.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://oathcards.seiyria.com/

good reference site

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

1857 is a John Bohrer game, so your choices are pay silly money for a copy, or pirate it.
e: he keeps pdf's of the rulebook and full pictures of the map off BGG so pirating it is not trivial either.

No kidding. There are some half decent pictures of the map on the geek at the moment but rulebook looks like it's going to be the tough part unless someone has a digital version floating around. Does he love his DMCA? Very unusual to not see clear pictures or rules on a game's page. Haven't watched the video yet but maybe I can just watch the Heavy Cardboard video and figure things out most things from that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

No kidding. There are some half decent pictures of the map on the geek at the moment but rulebook looks like it's going to be the tough part unless someone has a digital version floating around. Does he love his DMCA? Very unusual to not see clear pictures or rules on a game's page. Haven't watched the video yet but maybe I can just watch the Heavy Cardboard video and figure things out most things from that.

His father is a patent attorney and clearly he wants to take full advantage. He's also an rear end.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Bohrer's company, Winsome games, was one of those micro publishers whose distribution model was "meet me at Essen", and whose production was a commercial printer and craft paper. His 18xx games don't come with track tiles, assuming you would use the ones from your copy of 1830. With all the assets, pirating them would be trivial, so he's very protective of the assets. He's also very grumpy, so I think he quite enjoys protecting his designs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

In any other (non giant) game... whatever, I can suck it up and do a teaching game and hope for the best. TI:4??? Are you kidding me? That's quickly a "time to play on your fiance's team" territory.

Uhhh grey area acquisition 2 or so years ago. I honestly can't remember exactly where everything came from in my case.

e. I should add that I spent like a year trying to find a copy above board

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 7, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
isn't that the company that you still need to be in a yahoo group to get notified of new releases

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I went to my first game meet up in over 15 months this past Saturday! I am vaxxed and waxed and ready for hot boy summer!

Played Barrage, which was cool and I won by a pretty huge margin by exploiting bonus contracts/abilities and just leeching off other players conduits (even after the game owner said it was a strategy that was never worth it). The construction wheel was the best part of the game. It was fun, but i'm not sure it'd volunteer to play it again, but also wouldn't say no.

Played the new Kemet, which is one of the few 'armies fighting it out' games I really like. The new version takes up SO. MUCH. SPACE. to the point of absurdity but still a good game. Some dude in a 'Blue Lives Matter' shirt took for loving ever on each of his turns, however. I'm just glad he did really badly.

Taught people Wingspan, because we all needed to chill after those last 2.

Then I was able to get another month into Pandemic Season 0 with my wife so only 2 more months until the world ends! (or not)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Impermanent posted:

isn't that the company that you still need to be in a yahoo group to get notified of new releases

I believe he's spun down Winsome because of ill-health, but yeah, something like that. It used to be a Geeklist but then he got permabanned for doxxing a customer.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Impermanent posted:

I used to be on that list and the set announcement and the set sold out emails arrived within 3 minutes of each other.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

The second game was Oath of Protection, won by pitting the exiles against each other after they kicked my teeth in and stole 6! relics from me.

Per the instructions, I haven't taken the decks out of their wrappers, so I am surprised to learn there are 720 relics in the game!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Idk I feel Bohrer has mellowed slightly and he does release rules stuff on his new mailing list ocassionaly https://groups.io/g/WinsomeGames/topic/preu_ische_ostbahn_uploaded/64443884?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,64443884

If anyone wants info about how to play 1857 hit me up in the trains channel on Discord.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I must have different experiences with TI because I don't think playing it with slightly more casual people is an issue, provided they don't mind the time expenditure. There are a lot of rules but it's not exactly the tightest system so its sometimes good to have a more casual approach to it anyway.

I've enjoyed playing it with committed people who are new to games before now.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

OrthoTrot posted:

I must have different experiences with TI because I don't think playing it with slightly more casual people is an issue, provided they don't mind the time expenditure. There are a lot of rules but it's not exactly the tightest system so its sometimes good to have a more casual approach to it anyway.

I've enjoyed playing it with committed people who are new to games before now.
Yeah me too. It then I also don't relate to these horror stories of eight hour playtimes

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Oh, I've definitely had my fair share of absurdly long games of TI. It's just people new to games aren't always put off by that. By contrast super hardcore boardgamers can perhaps be put off playing something for that long that can in the end come down to a few crucial dice rolls.

Maybe this is just me, but I've always found TI to be carried by the experience, theme, and scope. And that can appeal just as much to newbies as seasoned people. Or not, if that's not your thing. And if it's not your thing it's a hell of a long wasted afternoon.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yeah me too. It then I also don't relate to these horror stories of eight hour playtimes

I have seen multiple 6 player games of TI with newbies taking around 7 hours, but as long as everyone is on board up front it usually goes by pretty quick.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm trying to temper expectations with my group, as I don't know how long it will take for this particular group of players as they're all newbies, bar one, and I've only got a couple of games up my sleeve.
I'm hoping it doesn't take 10-12hrs, but I've told my players they need to be able to commit to that game length if it happens.

Pretty much the only things I forsee as being difficult for players to grok is Activations, but even then it should be fine. TI is a bunch of easy to understand systems, there's just a lot to track.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Got our first game of Oath in yesterday and I think we did okay with the rules. For whatever reason we kept having issues with campaigning and figuring out who gets how many dice.

One point of conflict that we had was face down advisors. When an advisor is played face down they are not in play correct? Specifically Bear Traps, if a player played it face down they aren't able to flip it up during defense as it's not in play and it isn't their turn so they can't flip it face up as a free action.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Losem posted:

One point of conflict that we had was face down advisors. When an advisor is played face down they are not in play correct? Specifically Bear Traps, if a player played it face down they aren't able to flip it up during defense as it's not in play and it isn't their turn so they can't flip it face up as a free action.
It's pretty clear in the Law of Oath. 6.1 defines revealing a facedown adviser as a minor action, and minor actions can only be done during the Act Phase of your turn. No facedown advisor provides any ability, action, or bonus. And since it's a minor action to reveal an advisor, you can't do so in the middle of performing another action. So you have to reveal Bear Traps as a minor action on your turn before it will be able to be used as a battle plan when defending in a future campaign.

It's not a surprise like the ambush card in Root, but it's stronger and can be used more than once.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Losem posted:

Got our first game of Oath in yesterday and I think we did okay with the rules. For whatever reason we kept having issues with campaigning and figuring out who gets how many dice.

The most counter-intuitive thing players have to learn about campaign dice in Oath is that warbands only create dice for the campaigner. The defender's dice comes from the targets (locations, relics, banners, the pawn itself, oathkeeper/usurper) with the total defending warbands serving as the base target number to beat. So two sets of identical-looking meeples play very different roles, depending on whether you're on offense or defense.

Once you wrap your mind around that, it becomes pretty simple but that first hurdle is a big one for most players, I think.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also it’s important to understand the odds of the defender dice. 3 is usually safe and winnable for the attacker, 4 can require a good bit of sacrifices to beat (can total 8), and it gets literally exponentially tougher beyond that because of the x2 die face.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BGG Con is on. I will be there, but I may have to pull some strings (if I can!) to get in.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2673678/bggcon-2021-announcement

We are excited to announce that we are moving forward with plans for BGG.CON 2021 this November! Our theme this year is “Road Trip”, and we’ve got some really cool art in the works from Anca Gavril.

We’re returning to the awesome Hyatt Regency Dallas, November 17-21, 2021. We will once again host the Tabletop Network designer’s retreat right before BGG.CON begins.

Current Plans
We’re going to start with plans for a smaller convention allowing for social distancing, reduced meeting room capacity, and staggered entry to the exhibit hall and library. We may require you to fill out a waiver and/or ask you at registration if you’ve been vaccinated or tested negative for COVID in the previous 7 days. We may require masks when moving around and/or in a designated “masks-required” gaming space for those who would feel more comfortable there.

As conditions improve we may require none of that. A lot can and will happen over the next 5 months. We’re hopeful that things will continue to get better - positivity rates, hospitalizations and deaths continue to decline, and the number of people fully-vaccinated continues to go up.

To put hard numbers to it, we currently have around 1,700 badges carried over from 2020. In a couple weeks we’ll open up registration to around 2,500. If conditions continue to improve through the summer, we anticipate opening up another 1,000 badges on August 16th. If that’s the case, we could be looking at a BGG.CON 2021 that for all appearances is just like BGG.CON 2019, though probably still just a little bit smaller.

Tabletop.Events
The second most important thing to discuss is that we are transitioning to use Tabletop.Events as our online convention management platform. It worked well for our virtual events last year, and we’re excited to put it to the test in person.

2020 badge holders have a final opportunity to request a refund by June 20th as we transition away from our old system. We will then move all 2020 badges to this system automatically on June 21st, and then open up registration for new badges on June 23rd at 8pm CDT.

Premium badge-holders from previous years (but not 2021) will be notified via email during the week of June 14th of an opportunity to purchase a premium badge for this year among those few remaining (most were carried over from 2020).

Please see the BGG.CON 2021 convention listing on Tabletop.Events for more information.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
hi i want to give away my board game collection, need the space and i no longer live near my group.

pay for shipping for any of these games (continental us) and they're yours. if you live in socal, i would also probably be willing to just drive somewhere and give stuff to you.

~~- Twilight Imperium Third Edition, plus both expansions (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-third-edition). Everything is stuffed into the original box.~~snagged by bunk rogers

~~- Galaxy Trucker+Rough Roads+Big Expansion. (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31481/galaxy-trucker). similar everything shoved in one box strategy.~~ snagged by prokaryote

~~- Machi Koro (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143884/machi-koro) ~~ snagged by carillon

~~- Kemet (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127023/kemet).~~ snagged by tokenbrownguy

~~- Tokaido (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/123540/tokaido). ~~ snagged by magnetic north

~~- Cosmic Encounter (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39463/cosmic-encounter).~~snagged by slimyhog

~~- Memoir 44 (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10630/memoir-44).~~snagged by admiraltyflag

~~- Tales of the Arabian Nights (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34119/tales-arabian-nights). ~~ snagged by bagrada

~~- King Of New York (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160499/king-new-york). ~~ snagged by my irl friend

~~- Forbidden Stars (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175155/forbidden-stars).~~ snagged by sirtommygun

~~- Snake Oil. (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113289/snake-oil) ~~ snagged by hammockbottom

~~- Rampage (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97903/terror-meeple-city). from before the name change, box has one of the flaps torn so it kinda flips up like a garage door. ~~ snagged by capmoron

~~- Archipelago (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105551/archipelago/ratings?rated=1&comment=1). box slightly scuffed, and i think i threw out the slavery card because it felt gross to play lol. ~~ snagged by my irl friend

- Diamonsters (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144036/diamonsters).

~~-Escape From The Aliens In Outer Space (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/82168/escape-aliens-outer-space).~~ snagged by gutter owl

~~- Fungi/Morels (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122298/morels). mine says fungi on it. ~~ snagged by djfooboo

~~-Civilization: The Board Game (2010) (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77130/sid-meiers-civilization-board-game)~~ snagged by hammockbottom

i'll double check everything before i send them out and send pictures, i do not have the energy to do a thorough audit on all these things rn.

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 13, 2021

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd be happy to snag Kemet from you. Thanks for rehoming these games.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I'll call dibs on Escape the Aliens.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I feel like these wouldn't be super hard to move if you sold them for a reasonable price

Incredibly generous of you regardless.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, this is very generous. I mean, something like Forbidden Stars could likely fetch a decent amount, but I can also 100% sympathize with the desire to just see them go to a good home and not faff about with getting the best value.

How do you want to receive payment? PayPal and I don't get along (I'm just cursed I guess, last time I had to use it, it kept failing on me and I had to mail a paper check like some sorta caveman), so I want to be forthright about this. The last two times I paid Board Game thread goons, I did it through their creative project 'storefronts' (Ko-Fi type pages) instead of PayPal.

Assuming I can find a way to give you money, I would like to put dibs on Tokaido.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm interested in getting Forbidden Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

creamcorn posted:

hi i want to give away my board game collection, need the space and i no longer live near my group.

pay for shipping for any of these games (continental us) and they're yours. if you live in socal, i would also probably be willing to just drive somewhere and give stuff to you.

- Galaxy Trucker+Rough Roads+Big Expansion. (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31481/galaxy-trucker). similar everything shoved in one box strategy.

i'll double check everything before i send them out and send pictures, i do not have the energy to do a thorough audit on all these things rn.

I'd be happy to take the Galaxy Trucker pack off your hands.