Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only worthwhile test of nationality is the one that uses language, faith, and custom, along with self-identity.

This is also the one that says that David Lammy is English and Jacob Rees-Mogg is not, so make of that what you will.

e: 25 to 29-year-olds in England got invited to the vaccine this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, she already burnt her bridges there. Burchill's been hired and fired by a frankly impressive number of media organisations through the years.

On another note, this is an excellent and extremely grim long read, starring one of the most destructive hidden villains of British mental healthcare:

https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1402141401584971776?s=21

Absolutely worth reading through, provided you're willing to stomach the contents.

There's a lot here and little of it is pleasant but wow talk about burying the lede;

quote:

Lawrence, who had tried using an impersonator to stand in for him during one of the inquest hearings into Sophie’s death

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/theidsmiths/status/1402335472618192899

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Reading the comments under the latest Squires comic (the only part of the Graun worth paying attention to) and there sure are a lot of people who are adamant that it's not racist to verbally abuse black people quietly making an anti-racism gesture, and actually you're the racist for saying they shouldn't do it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I want to know when they think sports didn't have politics in it. Was it before the Nika riots?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've found out that Norcott's Minecraft appearance is actually an invite-only standup show which is even worse... but also that he's at the opposite end of the place that I thought he'd be so out of range of at least the kind of shenanigans that don't carry a custodial sentence.

However this does mean that he's going to be almost exactly opposite the house I was born in* which makes it somehow even worse, like he's double-taunting me somehow.

* I mean I was born in a hospital but it was a close-run thing and I *could* have been born there or possibly on the back of my Dad's Triumph because I was arriving a shitload quicker than the ambulance was and you have to say my Mum was a trooper to jump on the back of a bike *while in labour*.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Maybe Twitter has broken my brain but I can’t remember when I last laughed so much at something as I did this

https://twitter.com/danboeckner/status/1402352951629430788?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Maybe Twitter has broken my brain but I can’t remember when I last laughed so much at something as I did this

lmao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Noxville posted:

Fartlow is a gift that never stops giving.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Fartlow is a tree that never stops farting.
:hmmyes:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've found out that Norcott's Minecraft appearance is actually an invite-only standup show which is even worse... but also that he's at the opposite end of the place that I thought he'd be so out of range of at least the kind of shenanigans that don't carry a custodial sentence.

However this does mean that he's going to be almost exactly opposite the house I was born in* which makes it somehow even worse, like he's double-taunting me somehow.

Look we've all spent a lot of time on the internet recently but even I've managed to remember I was not in fact born in Minecraft

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twisto's house he was born in is made of dirt blocks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Twisto's house he was born in is made of dirt blocks.

This is not uncommon on the Isle of Dogs

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Roblox roblox roblox
Rotherhithe!

(ok wrong side of the river, but still)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/IoDThenAndNow/status/1402489026091827201

On this day in 1897 a brazen nozzle went off in a man's face.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Woo getting my 2nd shot in an hour. 1st was AZ, now I am getting pfizer.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Woo getting my 2nd shot in an hour. 1st was AZ, now I am getting pfizer.

Whoa I think you're supposed to wait longer than that

Congrats

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/IoDThenAndNow/status/1402489026091827201

On this day in 1897 a brazen nozzle went off in a man's face.

I first read that as Cubist Town and started thinking this took place in Minecraft.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Increasingly seeing people online arguing that retailers/hospitality cant counter the labour shortage (that they would usually fill with EU workers) by raising wages, as that would just impact on higher costs to the consumer (and make number go down). Instinctively this just sounds like liberal bullshit to me, but what are some good solid arguments for hiking wages to fill empoyment gaps in the 'low skilled' sectors?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the most obvious one is "as opposed to them not being able to meet demand due to no staff?"

Like the choice isn't between low wage high staffing or high wage high staffing if they can't get staff, the choice is between low wages and insufficient staffing or higher wages and sufficient staffing.

That's the market buddy if you don't like it maybe you should adopt a different economic system.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

Increasingly seeing people online arguing that retailers/hospitality cant counter the labour shortage (that they would usually fill with EU workers) by raising wages, as that would just impact on higher costs to the consumer (and make number go down). Instinctively this just sounds like liberal bullshit to me, but what are some good solid arguments for hiking wages to fill empoyment gaps in the 'low skilled' sectors?
Free markets! loving funny how capitalists love talking about supply and demand until the point it stops benefiting them.

The consumer price is determined by how much people are willing to pay for something, not by the suppliers' overheads. If they could charge more and people would still pay it, they'd already be doing so. If the labour cost goes up, that just eats into their profit margins. And, the market has spoken, people aren't willing to work for what they're paying, so the labour cost has gone up.

The consequence of the argument you're talking about would be that profit margins can only ever go up. That's obviously bullshit, sometimes business activities become less profitable. Because of markets, which were good last time you* were talking about them, why do you* hate markets so much?

*not you

e: I'm aware that cost-push inflation is a thing & this is a bit of an oversimplification, but I doubt that capitalists who don't even loving understand that the labour market is a market know what cost-push inflation is

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 9, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Unless they're literally only selling one product per hour then increasing wages only has a marginal effect on prices. If they're shifting massive numbers, like in a supermarket or fast food joint, then you could be looking at a few pence extra per item for even a £5 per hour wage increase per employee.

Basically people are trying to pretend that businesses have the capacity for extra profit (as evidenced by them needing more staff) but that they're also running on such razer thin margins that those extra staff don't translate to increased profits. Which, by extension, means that no matter how much more business they are able to engage in, they will always be on the edge of total bankruptcy. Which is, uh, really obviously not true at all.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There are obviously some pubs - in particular - that run on pretty fine margins already.
But I'm not sure how many of them are left. There used to be half a dozen pubs within a 10 minute stroll of my home; there's now one.
If a business can't keep enough staff to stay open, it'll close and there'll be an opportunity for a similar business that's more adaptable to take their share of the market.

There's not really any point arguing the toss over it, because the only real argument for "Yeah, but we need people to work in pubs but we can't pay them more" if people don't want those jobs is to then go down the route the Govt have already gone down with supermarkets, and have the DWP insisting that Wetherspoons get slave labour jobseekers to work for them. I'm sure some JobCentrePlus fascist will get their jollies sending recovering alcoholics and muslims to work pulling pints.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 9, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At the end of the day either a business model is sustainable, or it isn't. People might really really want pubs and restaurants, but if the only way to get workers without bankrupting every one of them is by authoritarian dictat then something has to change. And if the alternative is that everyone throws a massive grousing shitfit about not getting a pint instead of trying to work out how to make those businesses sustainable and why they aren't in the first place it's capitalism then we just don't get them anymore. Sucks, but those are your three choices: pay more, get nothing, or fascism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Time for a lot of posts about robot bartenders written on facebook by landlords between pulling the pints themselves and being miserable.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

At the end of the day either a business model is sustainable, or it isn't. People might really really want pubs and restaurants, but if the only way to get workers without bankrupting every one of them is by authoritarian dictat then something has to change. And if the alternative is that everyone throws a massive grousing shitfit about not getting a pint instead of trying to work out how to make those businesses sustainable and why they aren't in the first place it's capitalism then we just don't get them anymore. Sucks, but those are your three choices: pay more, get nothing, or fascism.

4. Nationalise 'spoons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug6OPsrbd8w

See this here on youtube, thats whats going to replace the snowflake generation who sit on there arses all day watching jeremy corbyn on netflix.

Someones shat on the toilet floor again.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Reopening Netflix just after finishing all their Jeremy Corbyn content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxKAMWbfzc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sucks, but those are your three choices: pay more, get nothing, or fascism.

Somehow I seem to have selected the option that gives me all 3 at the same time

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol my partner is in a teams meeting to hear updates on her company’s COVID policy, apparently it’s “if you don’t want to get vaccinated let us know and we’ll stop asking” :thunk:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tarnop posted:

4. Nationalise 'spoons

There's definitely an argument in 2021 for nationalising the shared social spaces that pubs in particular occupy in communities.
I was about to say "I'm sure Public Health England would have something to say about nationalising pubs", but I can't even remember what they rebranded to, and if Dido Harding gets the job as head of NHS England, having state-funded alcoholism will probably be the best way out for us all anyway.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/luff_sara/status/1402535926459404290

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nationalised pubs during the second world war made things better for everyone except beer barons and abolitionists.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bring in beer rationing IMHO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh, that's what this was about...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the most obvious one is "as opposed to them not being able to meet demand due to no staff?"

Like the choice isn't between low wage high staffing or high wage high staffing if they can't get staff, the choice is between low wages and insufficient staffing or higher wages and sufficient staffing.

That's the market buddy if you don't like it maybe you should adopt a different economic system.

There's always the option for slave labourunpaid internships.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Nationalised pubs during the second world war made things better for everyone except beer barons and abolitionists.

I don't think pubs were nationalised - at least on a large scale - in WW2. A few breweries were taken over (because surprisingly the kit needed to brew bear is really useful in the making of several different very exciting chemicals) and of course a lot of pubs were used as billets and for other military purposes, but I don't think pubs were taken into direct control *while remaining open as pubs*.

Are you thinking of British Restaurants? They were Attlee's clever idea to get around the big morale problem of rich people being able to eat out because restaurants had a way around the rationing system* (Churchill eating at Claridges every night and noticeably gaining weight through the Blitz was a major source of disquiet among people who weren't even allowed to buy fresh bread**) by providing unspectacular but filling meals off-ticket (they're the main reason we have apple crumble, yet another point for Attlee's canonisation IMO). They grew out of the emergency food supply centres opened up to feed people who had been bombed out or were otherwise unable to feed themselves, and by the end of the war were often run as actual proper restaurants and cafes. Closing them down in 1947 is still one of the more baffling decisions of the Attlee government, IMO.

* Restaurants weren't on the rations but were supposed to be last in the queue for food and produce, but of course the wholesalers just gave them the good stuff because they'd pay more than the retailers. Relatedly, several items - notably wild venison and beef, most game birds, and certain freshwater fish - were never subject to rationing so if you were rich enough and had the connections you could gorge yourself stupid and get a vegetarian ration book to top up your veggies and cheese.

** This is, I suspect, the very first Nudge Unit policy. Prepackaged bread was extremely rare, almost everyone still bought their bread from the bakers and basically only got one small loaf per person per week. Even the poo poo-tier bread of the day (wholemeal with a bunch of straw filler) was far too delicious fresh out of the oven, so from 1941 bakers were banned from selling bread on the day it was baked - they had to sell it a day old so that people didn't just eat their entire week's worth as soon as they got home.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Some guy is blowing up my mentions trying to tell me how wrong I am about internal Labour spats of the 1930s and that if lefties like me were in charge of Labour back then we wouldn't have an NHS???

Apparently this is a crucial crusade despite me responding to every tweet with "lol"

Twitter is just incredibly bad for people's psyche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
I think namesake is probably talking about the state managment scheme, which was ww1, and seems to have been motivated by a desire to keep people sober enough to work in the munitions factories.
https://jacobinmag.com/2017/10/pubs-drinking-nationalization-state-ownership