Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok so that was definitely Lady Loki at the end, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rarity posted:

Ok so that was definitely Lady Loki at the end, right?

That’s what the actress’ Wiki page says, so yes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh no now I'm worried about the safety of Deke :ohdear: (he definitely exists and I won't hear a word saying otherwise)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was hoping it wasn't the "Loki's gotta go after himself" situation I expected because while that's bound to be fun and interesting, it also seemed like the obvious way to go. Making it a Lady Loki path would take a lot of the sting out of that though.

With all the multiverse stuff in the pipeline the TVA has to end up either basically destroyed or with their mission drastically changed as part of this series, and I'm on board to see how that goes down. I could see Loki convincing the Time Keepers in a God to God sitdown that allowing a multiverse is the best path and it won't lead to the destructive consequences it has in the past. Sell it as a way to return true choice and freedom to everyone, instead of putting them onto one set and locked "sacred" path through life. Then the series could end with this Loki variant being turned loose into one of the newly created multiverses, or agreeing to stick around to help supervise this new multiverse system and make sure nobody gets too crazy with it (which could lead to appearances in future MCU projects as part of that role).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved how 70s the TVA look is. Gave me Control vibes, with a mix of Aperture Science.

God, now I wanna replay Control.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The TVA absolutely makes my skin crawl, I hope all those stolen reset bombs are going to be set off there

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That was extremely my jam, unsurprisingly. Hiddleston giving some great acting, and Owen Wilson giving it back just as well. I am excite. The 70s production aesthetic is very good, added with the soundtrack, it’s all very Doctor Who.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Loki: "So the TVA is all powerful?"

Also Loki, probably: :smuggo:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shout out to the Mind stone being used as a paper weight at the end

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I didn't mind all the recapping because they had to get Loki from his genocidal Avengers form to his sympathetic 'sacrificing himself for Thor' Endgame form. I suppose it's to be seen if he's really been humbled or just biding his time but it's still ground this episode had to cover.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Exactly so, there had to be some recapping. Also, you know Loki is the type to skip forward to see where he ends up.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Wow ok.

I love the the 60s asthetic to the TVA. Seems like this show has promise

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

That was extremely my jam, unsurprisingly. Hiddleston giving some great acting, and Owen Wilson giving it back just as well. I am excite. The 70s production aesthetic is very good, added with the soundtrack, it’s all very Doctor Who.

The entrance desk has to be a deliberate Tardis nod, right? With the big glowy column in the middle and gratuiotus round things.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm hoping that we get a Death's Head cameo at some point. He did some wet work for the TVA for a while.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The entrance desk has to be a deliberate Tardis nod, right? With the big glowy column in the middle and gratuiotus round things.

"You're the criminal with the blue box!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

Ha YES.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

So that was pretty drat good. That view of the TVA - realm cityscape felt like it came directly from 70s sci fi art and it ruled.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TinTower posted:

Absolutely this, plus there were several parts where the soundtrack was clearly Who inspired.

Loved every second of this. Can't wait for more.

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos
Mobius has access to the entire timeline, past and future. Drinks Josta.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This was really good, Mobius trying to figure out what makes Loki tick was great.

Hiddleston is executive producer, I hope he makes this show as long as he wants to. Tremendous fun.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

G-III posted:

So that was pretty drat good. That view of the TVA - realm cityscape felt like it came directly from 70s sci fi art and it ruled.

Yeah, I looked back fondly at my Chris Foss artbook when they showed that. I appreciated that they lingered on it too

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, Foss and Syd Mead were influences without a doubt.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Argue posted:

Oh no now I'm worried about the safety of Deke :ohdear: (he definitely exists and I won't hear a word saying otherwise)

Maybe mentioning Coulson in the first episode of a series about timelines wasn't an accident. Haha, I'm just kidding, but it's fun to think about.

I could see a few endings to this, depending on how they want to go, any of these would be fun.

1) Loki goes back to where he "belongs" in the timeline after some growth and having a reason to do so.

2) Loki becomes the Loki they're after, takes Mobius' conversation to heart, does not do whatever catastrophic thing's he's working on in the end. The Grinch ending. Unlikely, but could work. Not sure how you get from here to Multiverse of Madness though.

3) Loki is the same Loki they're after, and absolutely dunks on the TVA - dimensional chaos for all! Seems like the obvious route! Does this make Loki the god of free will?

4) 3, but Mobius is also a shapeshifted Loki, this is an absurd time heist, and there's eventual a BTTF2 style replay of episode 1 with Loki-Mobius laughing his rear end off at his former self, while getting him in the mindset to take the first steps.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 9, 2021

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

A friend pointed out the TVA has an anti-Chronicom gate. More Enoch! (I can dream)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

OB_Juan posted:

Maybe mentioning Coulson in the first episode of a series about timelines wasn't an accident. Haha, I'm just kidding, but it's fun to think about.

I don't know, bringing back Coulson like that seems like a giant flashing siren to me that certain disconnected variant timelines might be pulled back into the Sacred Timeline by the end of this show.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
The TVA sets are all Mad Men, but in space-time continuum. Of course this is extremely my poo poo.

Evidence:
(see left)
<--
<--
<--

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

animeluva1 posted:

The TVA sets are all Mad Men, but in space-time continuum. Of course this is extremely my poo poo.

Evidence:
(see left)
<--
<--
<--

Yea I totally expected Roger Sterling to come in asking "is it just me or is the lobby full of Skrulls?"

Loki now streaming on Disney+ (43% new footage)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Klungar posted:

I don't know, bringing back Coulson like that seems like a giant flashing siren to me that certain disconnected variant timelines might be pulled back into the Sacred Timeline by the end of this show.

I don't think the Sacred Timeline will be around much longer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
To be fair, Loki is referencing material from a 10 year old movie and another movie that a lot of MCU fans didn't watch. They had no choice but to recap this, and good on them for making the refresher diagetic.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

I don't think the Sacred Timeline will be around much longer.

cartoon: sure would be a shame if we ended up with some kind of... multiverse of madness

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Foss and Syd Mead were influences without a doubt.

Whoa holy poo poo lol I knew Mass Effect directly lifted a lot of it's stuff from classic sci-fi but like they didn't change a drat thing, they just modeled that in 3d and called it "the citadel"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

eke out posted:

cartoon: sure would be a shame if we ended up with some kind of... multiverse of madness

Funny how similar the Ancient One and the TVA's demonstrations looked.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
so the jar thing they use to prune alternate timelines, does it blow up the universe in question or something?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Oovee posted:

so the jar thing they use to prune alternate timelines, does it blow up the universe in question or something?

They're clearly meant to be more ominous than the vague in-narrative explanation suggests, yeah.

EDIT: Mobius did say that the courtroom where Loki was sentenced to be reset is the place you go to get killed, so it sounds like "reset" is an accepted euphemism for clearing out any "redundant" universes and people.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 9, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oovee posted:

yeah I was wondering exactly that

it almost made me think of the hickman secret wars arc where they're actively destroying other universes

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Oovee posted:

Definitely not a coincidence that we cut away before we found out what what happened to those poor Mongolians.

Similarly, there was a cut away before the final seconds of Loki's film, with some clanging noise going on while we weren't looking, which makes me think maybe something happens there too.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Anybody else pick up that they got Timmy Turner from Fairly OddParents to be the voice of Miss Minutes?

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Tara Strong is S tier voice acting.

EDIT:

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I totally expected Roger Sterling to come in asking "is it just me or is the lobby full of Skrulls?"

A throwaway Mad Men reference in Loki would make me so happy. Hell someone can retrofit the famous carousel line to the recap segment and it would work perfectly.

"It's called 'The Carousel.' It lets us travel the way a child travels. Around and around and back home again. A place where we know that you're loved."

animeluva1 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 9, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Klungar posted:

Definitely not a coincidence that we cut away before we found out what what happened to those poor Mongolians.

Similarly, there was a cut away before the final seconds of Loki's film, with some clanging noise going on while we weren't looking, which makes me think maybe something happens there too.

The police violence in the Gobi Desert seemed to be played for laughs at the time but moreso like a sign that the TVA is rotten as the episode went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Firebert posted:

mephisto confirmed lol

Yeah, I was watching it with my co-worker over lunch break, and we said the same thing at the same time. Had to turn it into a wee meme after the show.