Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

users win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1402410739541938177?s=20

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Man Musk posted:

Serious question: Are Brazilians considered yanquis now ?

Wondering if there's any animosity or at least dislike between Hispanophone and Lusophone countries there but it's probably more of a simple different nations thing + Brazil being so big compared to the others.

And while Brazil likely hasn't imposed its will onto its neighbors nearly as much as the U.S. has, it didn't exactly participate in the wave of Latin American revolutions either. Its history is as distinct from the Hispanophone countries as the U.S. is, in some ways more so.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i have no idea of his politics but solano should run for peruvian president. he got arrested for breaking covid lockdown to attend an orgy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Wondering if there's any animosity or at least dislike between Hispanophone and Lusophone countries there but it's probably more of a simple different nations thing + Brazil being so big compared to the others.

And while Brazil likely hasn't imposed its will onto its neighbors nearly as much as the U.S. has, it didn't exactly participate in the wave of Latin American revolutions either. Its history is as distinct from the Hispanophone countries as the U.S. is, in some ways more so.

We do some economic imperialism on our neighbors, such as the Itaipu dam on Paraguay being a raw deal for them but a boon for us. I do think that Brazilian culture is very isolated from Hispanoamerican one, what with a lot of trends that are popular there and spread from colombia to chile being ignored here.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i'm assuming the biggest divide is language

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

crepeface posted:

i'm assuming the biggest divide is language

Language is a major factor, but also most major Brazilian urban centers are far from the borders, which are, in general, sparsely populated regions that are hard to traverse other than the very south ones, so the country is more geographically isolated than it looks like from the map.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/Elif_Leftcom/status/1402181509864427522?s=20

tankies :(((

crepeface has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Jun 9, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

gently caress you this is not real

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughCommieSpam/comments/nupm0k/has_no_one_noticed_the_similarities_before/h0zl4oz/

it's funny, for an anacharist, he seems to spend a lot of time hating every vaguely communist country and defending the US state :magemage:

]

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is anti-China sentiment that strong in Peru now that an anti-communist would cite them for an example of the horrors of communism, instead of the Shining Path? Or is that person poisoned by the English language internet/works for the CIA.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

crepeface posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughCommieSpam/comments/nupm0k/has_no_one_noticed_the_similarities_before/h0zl4oz/

it's funny, for an anacharist, he seems to spend a lot of time hating every vaguely communist country and defending the US state :magemage:

]

I'm pretty sure anything even vaguely related to "international news" on reddit is posted exclusively by State Dept interns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/FabioOstermann/status/1401988499893587968

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

One of the big reasons the pink wave happened was that Lula was president of Brazil. So instead of helping plot coups whenever some vague left wing government appeared in South America, Brazil kept relations open and even helped these governments. When Evo nationalized natural gas in Bolivia in 2005, Brazil didn't try to overthrow him. Meanwhile, one of the first governments to legitimize the recent coup attempt in Bolivia was Bolsonaro's.

It's one of the reasons Obama was so hellbent on removing PT from power. Rather than a junior partner siding with the US, Brazil was more pragmatic and accommodating.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is anti-China sentiment that strong in Peru now that an anti-communist would cite them for an example of the horrors of communism, instead of the Shining Path? Or is that person poisoned by the English language internet/works for the CIA.

Western anarchists are in fact mostly just liberals with a rebellious streak but anything on social media is just poo poo straight from Langley. Check the post histories on the lazier accounts and you'll probably see them suddenly posting in regional subreddits about the tyranny of lockdowns

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
some would ask, is this person a cia op or just a dumb anarkiddie? i would answer, what's the loving difference?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

some would ask, is this person a cia op or just a dumb anarkiddie? i would answer, what's the loving difference?

they're one and the same

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Stalin knew

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Dreylad posted:

users win

https://twitter.com/JizzJohnsonJr/status/1402321008556756995

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
it’s over, so says pencil man

https://twitter.com/AmericaElige/status/1402499235266797569?s=20

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Presumably this means the difference is big enough now that no amount of uncounted votes can change the outcome?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if i've understood it correctly he needs a margin of 0.5 points, which he hasn't yet got but which a reasonable trend analysis basically guarantees him

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Calling it early seems unwise, given the opposition is already making up stories of rampant fraud. This will probably get turned into him all but admitting to stealing the election.

Unless there's some angle here I'm not seeing, this seems pointless at best.
Admittedly, I often don't spot angles, what with being a moron and all.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Bk. posted:

Calling it early seems unwise, given the opposition is already making up stories of rampant fraud. This will probably get turned into him all but admitting to stealing the election.

Unless there's some angle here I'm not seeing, this seems pointless at best.
Admittedly, I often don't spot angles, what with being a moron and all.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the international media is already saying he won and making GBS threads on keiko for claiming fraud so i'm guessing langley have realized they need to play it a bit more subtle after bolivia and are banking on castillo either pivoting to the right or being hamstrung by an uncooperative legislature and flaming out within a year or two

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I can't help but want to make O'Brien jokes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1402513587201998851

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Whitest Latinos You Know

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm pretty sure anything even vaguely related to "international news" on reddit is posted exclusively by State Dept interns

now that Ghislane is retired

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

the international media is already saying he won and making GBS threads on keiko for claiming fraud so i'm guessing langley have realized they need to play it a bit more subtle after bolivia and are banking on castillo either pivoting to the right or being hamstrung by an uncooperative legislature and flaming out within a year or two

i would guess it less that they want to be more subtle or whatever, and more that no one saw this coming and there was no infrastructure in place to delegitimize the election

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/janeost_/status/1092145849919045639

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

This is just the average Vaush viewer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/venanalysis/status/1402650484771598336?s=19

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

anarchism is an op

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

R. Mute posted:

anarchism is an op

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2021/06/06/peru-a-crunch-election/

quote:

The irony is that whoever wins today’s election may actually be able to preside over a relative recovery in Peru’s economic fortunes. Real GDP may recover to pre-pandemic levels by this time next year. And longer term, Peru’s commodity-based economy may sustain some new growth, if not at previous pandemic rates.

That’s because world copper prices are now at a ten-year high.

This price rise is being driven by global economic recovery, particularly in China, a major export destination, but also by long-term structural demand for copper as a key component in the fast expansion of electric vehicles and transport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v1vWEIJ8YM

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time in recent memory that a peruvian far-left candidate takes a swing to the right once in office - though I suppose Ollanta Humala was even further than Castillo in the "he's far left... and also far right kinda??? idk it's weird" camp.

Castillo already appears to have joined forces with Mendoza's Nuevo Peru (demsocs), which might make his policies more palatable to moderates, but honestly I doubt he'll be able to get anything passt Congress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the shot and Guaido look like a Beto O'Rourke rally

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

the shot and Guaido look like a Beto O'Rourke rally

"By spring, Trump was calling Guaidó the 'Beto O'Rourke of Venezuela,' hardly the sort of compliment an ally of the United States should expect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

"By spring, Trump was calling Guaidó the 'Beto O'Rourke of Venezuela,' hardly the sort of compliment an ally of the United States should expect."

miss him. just want ‘em back.