Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Three people have cut themselves in the last two weeks, one of whom has 8 stitches in her hand.

the blade hungers.

Feed Me Crymore (and then do the orange supremes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So I spent a weekend cooking for about 50 people in the farm I am working at (we had a big work party). Every thing went great cooking 3 meals a day for 3 days straight. One issue that came up was people wanted to help with cooking and prep work and due to the size of the space I had to work with and my menu plan I couldn't really plug people in. I did organize a pierogi making day where I had a bunch of people filling up pierogi's as dinner prep and that was hugely popular (people got to sit and talk to each other while working with their hands and making food for each other).

I was wonder if any of you fine folk had any suggestions to include others into the workflow or recipes that could work well with communal work? There should be another work party coming up later in the summer that I have to plan for.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

I was wonder if any of you fine folk had any suggestions to include others into the workflow or recipes that could work well with communal work? There should be another work party coming up later in the summer that I have to plan for.

NO gently caress WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN

Real answer, anything easy and vegetable is probably a good call. Get people peeling potatoes or chopping up lettuce/tomato/cucumber for salad or peeling hard boiled eggs for egg and potato salad, poo poo like that. The pierogies was a great call, anything else that just needs to be assembled (sandwiches, pizzas). Also snacks: take any food you didn't use for a meal, cut it up smaller, put it on a stick. People loving love that poo poo. Chicken caesar salad sticks, caprese salad skewers, meat skewers that even if they've been cooked already, just throw them on a grill for a minute.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 8, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Gnocchi, orecchiette, anything that's super labor-intensive like that (more than fettuccine/etc.) Any ethnicity of dumpling.

If you have things that need smaller amounts of labor, you can request that people sign up in advance, say 3-5 per shift, and show up at 7/10/5 or whatever your timing is. That way you won't be trying to direct a whole workforce if you just need some potatoes peeled

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 8, 2021

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Gnocchi, orecchiette, anything that's super labor-intensive like that (more than fettuccine/etc.) Any ethnicity of dumpling.

If you have things that need smaller amounts of labor, you can request that people sign up in advance, say 3-5 per shift, and show up at 7/10/5 or whatever your timing is. That way you won't be trying to direct a whole workforce if you just need some potatoes peeled

tamales also stick out as labor-intensive and best prepared communally

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Samosas.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Get a couple dozen tomato slicers and have them all mutilate themselves permanently prep tomatoes for caprese salads.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

If you have the oven space for a few pans of peach cobbler, peeling peaches also works well for that kinda thing.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
hand pies

savoury hand pies, fruit hand pies, just please ship me all of the hand pies

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Made the mistake of playing Post Malone outloud while I was doing a deep clean in the dishpit. I have been relentlessly hazed for my terrible music taste for years, but this particular music seems to really make everyone angry but me.

I'm in charge of the music tonight and everyone has signed a letter formally requesting that I not be allowed to play Post Malone or Racer X and frankly I'm offended.

I'm going to play Genesis deep cuts instead.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

All Taylor Swift all night.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I only complain to the music master when it's 8 hours of the same genre. Even if I like the genre. Switch it up.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

fizzymercury posted:

Made the mistake of playing Post Malone outloud while I was doing a deep clean in the dishpit. I have been relentlessly hazed for my terrible music taste for years, but this particular music seems to really make everyone angry but me.

I'm in charge of the music tonight and everyone has signed a letter formally requesting that I not be allowed to play Post Malone or Racer X and frankly I'm offended.

I'm going to play Genesis deep cuts instead.

I hate everything that sounds like post Malone but I like post Malone and machine gun Kelly

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The place I’m working at played nothing but Jack Johnson for a few weeks. Literally hours of JJ with nothing in between all shift. I’m only part time, thankfully. And usually it was busy enough that I could tune it out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FishBowlRobot posted:

The place I’m working at played nothing but Jack Johnson for a few weeks. Literally hours of JJ with nothing in between all shift. I’m only part time, thankfully. And usually it was busy enough that I could tune it out.

I would kill someone over that. My first job was at a pizza place back when Ipods first came out and we had an ipod that somehow had 3 versions of Landslide on it and I loving hated that song after a week.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My work plays a 1.5 hour playlist of weird new electronica stuff and my shift has 7 hours of being open. "Sunflower" is the best song on it but I hear it several times a night... And everything else is solidly worse in every way.

It includes some song where all the vocals are sped up to Alvin and the Chipmunks levels, interspersed with electro sounds and fake drums. It's maddening.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 8, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's loving insane to me that work places that have corporate mandated play lists don't understand their employees are usually expected to be there for more than two hours.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm pretty sure that even if they were presented with that information they wouldn't care. Maybe if it was a really fancy powerpoint.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Our GM curated this playlist

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Skwirl posted:

It's loving insane to me that work places that have corporate mandated play lists don't understand their employees are usually expected to be there for more than two hours.

<corporate>I don’t know, two hours is expensive enough as it is. Most of our customers barely even stay an hour - we should probably cut it back to that.</corporate>

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Bourdain died 3 years ago. Pouring one out for a real one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Skwirl posted:

relatedly i don’t get why they don’t stick to instrumental holiday music

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember one delightful span when our radio did a top ten countdown every x hours and Adele was, like, three of them. Just cleaning tables, doing absurd math about how many times I heard her every week. To this day Rolling in the Deep could probably activate a killswitch in my brain.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We just laid out the expectation of speed of service and food, and reminded them that everyone here has to catch a flight, and it DIDN'T WORK LOL

Yet another microcosmic manifestation - like the way people merge in traffic, or how they'll try to skip the line to get into the arcade bar - of man's innate selfishness.

"But you're talking to Me! The Protagonist of Reality!"

We were doomed from the start.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Blue Moonlight posted:

<corporate>I don’t know, two hours is expensive enough as it is. Most of our customers barely even stay an hour - we should probably cut it back to that.</corporate>

Once upon a time I was a server at an east side Mario’s, and they were all excited because we were going to get a new playlist that was 72 hours long and would mix itself up so people were always hearing new tracks.

Except they hosed up the install

And instead, we got a 55 minute loop, where two songs would play 20% louder than everything else.

Those songs were 1 2 3 4 by Feist, and Crazy by Gnarles Barkley.

So for six weeks (37 hours a week) we had this play list drilling into our heads to the point where you could look around and see staff members unconsciously mouthing the words to Crazy by Gnarles Barkley.

It took six loving weeks for the owner to do anything about it, and that only happened because he spent 3 hours in the dining room and was like “well this is annoying lmao”

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
when I was a kid I worked at a place that did laser tag among other things and the playlist was

- the Mortal Kombat movie theme song
- Rock Lobster by the B-52's
- some other B-52's song I have mercifully somehow forgotten (it was not love shack)

over and over and over and over and over and over

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mezzanon posted:

So for six weeks (37 hours a week) we had this play list drilling into our heads to the point where you could look around and see staff members unconsciously mouthing the words to Crazy by Gnarles Barkley.

It took six loving weeks for the owner to do anything about it, and that only happened because he spent 3 hours in the dining room and was like “well this is annoying lmao”

Y'all put up with this for 6 weeks. Strong words, wire cutters, guillotines, lots of options.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

when I was a kid I worked at a place that did laser tag among other things and the playlist was

- the Mortal Kombat movie theme song
- Rock Lobster by the B-52's
- some other B-52's song I have mercifully somehow forgotten (it was not love shack)

over and over and over and over and over and over

I played street fighter ex there for 2 years. Thank you for your service.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A tiny bird found its way into the back of our kitchen today. I was wondering how the hell I was gonna get it out alive when a co-worker came in and tried to shoo it out through the front where all the windows are. Thud, dead.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

droll posted:

Y'all put up with this for 6 weeks. Strong words, wire cutters, guillotines, lots of options.

I was young, dumb, and downtrodden.

Now I'm just one of the three.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm stuck in the awkward position of having to buy new shoes to work two shifts. I quit in July, but I told my boss I'd be down to work an occasional shift in case of emergency. Did my first one since Nov, but could only find one of my old work shoes, and the only pair of shoes that would look reasonably professional with the rest of the server attire were somehow even more pointless than wearing a set of ballet flats. I have like 4 blisters, my toenails hurt for 2 days, and I hate that I'm about to go get a new pair of non-slips just to work the last two shifts I promised to work because holy lol am I not doing that poo poo again. At least I'm working because the owner is out of town, so I don't have to deal with him losing his loving mind every 20 min because the overbooked reservations he took while talking about what a poo poo idea it was to take them have been waiting for 15 min after showing up 10 min early.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you aren't going to be paid enough to justify buying new shoes just say you can't work those shifts. You already quit, so you can't get fired. If they are that desperate for you to work demand they buy you new shoes. Worst case scenario they say no and you don't have to work.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Its like $25, I just always get butthurt about having to buy things to make money and wanted to whine about my feet. Holy jesus though I'm so happy I got out of there when I did. Bossman's trying to do at least a 100% increase in tables without expanding the kitchen, and idk how he's been getting away with it. For the record the kitchen is big enough for exactly two people on the line, three if they're small, and there's one chick who is absolutely unhinged working the cold station. He's attempting to do 22 tables with 6 burners and a grill approximately 2.5 ft square.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Why in sweet blistering hell would you agree to PAY to work there? You aren't saying things that make spending any amount of effort on that place worth it.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
You wanna buy new shoes to work in a lovely situation for two more days as a favor? Have fun with that...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Its like $25, I just always get butthurt about having to buy things to make money and wanted to whine about my feet. Holy jesus though I'm so happy I got out of there when I did. Bossman's trying to do at least a 100% increase in tables without expanding the kitchen, and idk how he's been getting away with it. For the record the kitchen is big enough for exactly two people on the line, three if they're small, and there's one chick who is absolutely unhinged working the cold station. He's attempting to do 22 tables with 6 burners and a grill approximately 2.5 ft square.

you need to deprogram yourself. You owe these people nothing

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

fizzymercury posted:

Why in sweet blistering hell would you agree to PAY to work there? You aren't saying things that make spending any amount of effort on that place worth it.

Seriously. Plus if you buy those shoes, you're going to feel obligated to work more shifts to make it "worth" buying those shoes.

It's not worth it, don't do it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I just interviewed a GM who is still covering shifts for their owner 6 months after getting laid off. This is not a normal way of doing business, please don't fall into that trap.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
Opening a restaurant in Manhattan.... in two weeks. pray for me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Whyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

evilpicard posted:

I just interviewed a GM who is still covering shifts for their owner 6 months after getting laid off. This is not a normal way of doing business, please don't fall into that trap.

I can maaaybe see how that works, if they're collecting unemployment and getting paid under the table on top of that. Could be a sweet racket.

But yeah that's insane. Guildenstern: do not do this. Just walk away in your old shoes.