Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I doubt if there is that much difference between a base Jetta and a kia forte/hyudai elantra or mazda 3 all are in a similar price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah but ONE of those is over engineered.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the VIII is less deconteted than the VII was but still not ideal. they're built in the same place but they have some platform differences these days. the Golf doesn't exist any more so you can't buy one.

Did OP fiancee drive it and like it? if so you're hosed. If not, try to get her to drive something actually good like a Mazda3 sedan if she wants a nominally premium looking sedan.

That's the problem, she is horrified by Mazda's current styling cues and doesn't like the CX-5, 6, or any of them at all. Fortunately for me though the insurance called and said they're going to repair rather than total our current car so I'm saved from Teutonic mediocrity for now!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
It’s not that it’s mediocre; it’s instead a habit of solving an engineering problem that either

a.) doesn’t exist
Or
b.) isn’t solved with any sort of understanding of practicality/efficiency

This is basically a German engineering trope that makes an uncanny recurrence throughout modern history.

In other words: Germans tend to engineer things that perform wonderfully and efficiently, often amongst the best in class but within, and only within, the environment and conditions which it was specifically designed for. If you don’t meet those requirements, then things tend to suffer exponentially. Stupid poo poo, too like plastics used and their heat tolerance leading to becoming brittle and cracking. Or the use of expensive metals for dumb non dynamic hardware making replacement more expensive or harder to find.

In other words: Too much rain where you live in an area that gets really hot or really cold? Enjoy your pano sunroof, sucker!!!

Water too hard? gently caress your gaskets on your dishwasher, sucker!

Don’t use a whetstone on your knives and try to get away with a pullthrough? Enjoy cutting ANYTHING, sucker!

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 9, 2021

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

All the important parts (engine, trans, suspension, brakes) on a MK7 GLI are the same as a MK7 GTI. The interior on the Jetta is "cheaper" but still pretty nice. There aren't any fog lights and the headlights don't turn. The tires are hot garbage. There's no factory Navigation. Despite all that, and because it was like 5 grand less than the GTIs on the lot, I got the 2020 GLI S. Also, pure gray looks a lot better than plain white.

The GLI next to my old MK6.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Nice! I like that gray also.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Why does it look so huge?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Thumposaurus posted:

Because it is, I find they really have an issue with wheel tuck/size. They built fenders for 20's and threw 17's on them and they look silly almost all the time. I really wanted to like them as I was coming from a '15 and was in a place where a GLI would have made financial sense but just didn't love it in person.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m in the market for a new (used) car, and rather than take the insurance payout from my dead 2004 CRV and just put it all into buying something of the same vintage with cash, my family is strongly encouraging me to instead look for something much more recent (ie finance a $10-25k car that’s <5 years old instead of buying a $5-10k car from 2006 with cash)

So with that in mind I might as well follow my automotive crush dreams and look at a whole mess of used GTIs, right?

1) anything big I should be aware of going in? Model years/equipment trims to be avoided? Notable areas of wear and failure to look at in used specimens?

2) I know that at some point in the last five years (2017? 2018?) the optional SportPerformance package that added ~25 hp and some limited-slip gubbins (and that everybody recommended getting) was folded into the base model and made standard. What model year was that? How should I look for the addition/inclusion of those extra go-fast bits if I’m dealing with a used car seller who may not have all of those relevant details present in their documentation?

3) anything I should look for in terms of drivetrain/transmission health? What about mileage? I’d be looking at manuals, natch, and I’ve always heard horror stories about preowned stick shifts being sold or traded in by inexperienced owners who decided that manual wasn’t for them after they put 100k miles-worth of damage and wear on their transmission in <10k miles.

I have a good handle on feeling clutch health, etc in a vague sense but I have no idea how I’d meaningfully assess that in the context of buying a recent model year used car. TLDR I’m afraid of buying a car that feels good for the first couple of months before the clutch fails like a year into ownership thanks to previous owner abuse.

4) I’m seeing a surprising amount of price variation—A lot of that is obviously trim package/autobahn vs plaid/etc but it’s weird to see 2018s with <50k on the odometer priced at $19k and 2019s with similar mileage going for $32k with a couple of weirdo outliers (2017 80k miles, wants $23 grand). Is that just the market being itself during a particularly churny time or is there something else I’m missing here?

5) are y’all happy with your GTIs? How have they been holding up long-term? My family have kind of a history of being “Honda+VW people” so I have many fond memories of electric gremlins, complaints about expensive repairs, and the like. I’ve always wanted a GTI, but I also want a car that I can count on putting 200k+ miles on without it turning into an expensive lemon.

Edit: I meant Performance Pack*

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 9, 2021

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m in the market for a new (used) car, and rather than take the insurance payout from my dead 2004 CRV and just put it all into buying something of the same vintage with cash, my family is strongly encouraging me to instead look for something much more recent (ie finance a $10-25k car that’s <5 years old instead of buying a $5-10k car from 2006 with cash)

So with that in mind I might as well follow my automotive crush dreams and look at a whole mess of used GTIs, right?

1) anything big I should be aware of going in? Model years/equipment trims to be avoided? Notable areas of wear and failure to look at in used specimens?

2) I know that at some point in the last five years (2017? 2018?) the optional SportPerformance package that added ~25 hp and some limited-slip gubbins (and that everybody recommended getting) was folded into the base model and made standard. What model year was that? How should I look for the addition/inclusion of those extra go-fast bits if I’m dealing with a used car seller who may not have all of those relevant details present in their documentation?

3) anything I should look for in terms of drivetrain/transmission health? What about mileage? I’d be looking at manuals, natch, and I’ve always heard horror stories about preowned stick shifts being sold or traded in by inexperienced owners who decided that manual wasn’t for them after they put 100k miles-worth of damage and wear on their transmission in <10k miles.

I have a good handle on feeling clutch health, etc in a vague sense but I have no idea how I’d meaningfully assess that in the context of buying a recent model year used car. TLDR I’m afraid of buying a car that feels good for the first couple of months before the clutch fails like a year into ownership thanks to previous owner abuse.

4) I’m seeing a surprising amount of price variation—A lot of that is obviously trim package/autobahn vs plaid/etc but it’s weird to see 2018s with <50k on the odometer priced at $19k and 2019s with similar mileage going for $32k with a couple of weirdo outliers (2017 80k miles, wants $23 grand). Is that just the market being itself during a particularly churny time or is there something else I’m missing here?

5) are y’all happy with your GTIs? How have they been holding up long-term? My family have kind of a history of being “Honda+VW people” so I have many fond memories of electric gremlins, complaints about expensive repairs, and the like. I’ve always wanted a GTI, but I also want a car that I can count on putting 200k+ miles on without it turning into an expensive lemon.

Edit: I meant Performance Pack*

1. I'd probably start with the MK7 (2015-2021) models. There's a lot of mixed feelings regarding the sunroof. I didn't have issues with it on my Golf, but when I upgraded recently to a GTI, I opted for the base model, the S, to avoid it. I'd steer you toward the base model in general, as it's got all the important bits and fewer of the "features". I also really like the Clark Plaid seats, and I think in the US it's the only model where you get them. There's also the matter of the way a GTI is stereotypically driven. I'd approach used cars cautiously and definitely take any you are seriously considering to a mechanic familiar with Volkswagen prior to purchasing (or as early as possible in the return period in the case of Carvana and the like). Last but not least, I'd look for regular maintenance records. This site can provide the maintenance schedules: https://maintenance.vw.com/#/search

2. The Performance Pack started coming standard in 2019. The easy tell is to look for the GTI logo on the front brake calipers for any year prior to that in the MK7 generation (2015-2021 in the US). It adds some nice bits, but it's OK to get one without it too.

3. I'd first just take it out for a test drive and see if it shifts smoothly through all the gears. Then I'd pay attention for any sort of burning smell and seeing whether or not RPMs track with travel speed, especially in higher gears. There are some other tests you can do and things to look for which are outlined pretty well here: https://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-a-Slipping-Clutch-in-Your-Car

4. The car marketplace is pretty messed up right now. You can expect to pay more than you would have a year ago new or used and to have little negotiating room too. You're probably seeing some variance due to trim levels (it goes S < SE < Autobahn), and probably some based on whether or not they are Certified Pre-Owned or not too.

5. My stint with my MK7 Golf didn't go great, but I worked with VW and they offered a pretty good discount on the GTI. So far so good, but it hasn't been all that long. It's definitely a step up from the Golf in power and handling, and I hope it works out to be a long haul car for me too. Before you commit, I'd get comfortable with the fact that it likely will be a more expensive car in all aspects (purchase price, maintenance, et cetera). It certainly has been well liked throughout the years though, and that can go a long way in putting up with the (real or perceived) pitfalls of the brand.

There's a car buying thread too, which can offer more general advice and suggestions on alternatives if you're not finding the one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 9, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I had a 17 (I think) sport which was the good package IMO. No leather or sunroof, but heated plaid seats, LSD and all the performance pack things. It was a one year build. I only had it for a year or two but really liked it and was without issue since new. My biggest complaint was brake dust. Mine was white so the metallic pads showed up in the paint everywhere along the sides, not to mention the wheels never being clean. But I was a lazy owner who didn't wash super frequently.

Got rid of it because I needed something bigger for the family, not because I wanted to. It's great for only one car seat. Two? Nope.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

The GTI is backed all the way up to the curb. Plus the trunk adds a lot of length to the GLI. I had to move some stuff around in the garage to make it fit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ok so. I think I want a GTI. I think I want a manual GTI. With the Plaid. I think I’m going to go out and shop for a car, and when I do so, I will be looking for GTIs and I’m ready to stop looking for other cars.

The question now is which GTI? And how do I find the right one?

My budget is ideally $20k or less. Preferably even under $18k. Basically I’ve got a down payment of ~$8k between insurance payout on my old car and budgeted cash and I’d like to finance in the ballpark of $10k, but less is always better and a little more could potentially be put out for the right car.

TLDR, I’m looking at cars as cheap as $13k and as expensive as $20-21k with a goal to stay ideally in the $15-19k range. I’m seeing a lot of private sellers that I don’t know how to assess and a lot of dealerships that inspire differing levels of confidence.

How old? Should I look for Performance Pack? Should its absence be a dealbreaker? Should I stick to cars made post-2017? Post-2018? Should I pick a higher mileage car (70k, 90k, 110k) that’s newer and/or has PP features vs, say, a 2015 or 2016 with <50k miles that doesn’t look like it has those add-ons? What about 2014 if the miles are good (<60k) and the price is under $15 grand?

Should I just prioritize cheapness and good health/maintenance and forget about buying *the best GTI* with *the right options* and then add stuff like a LSD or tune in the aftermarket space on my own?

I’m in New England, and just a cursory search online is leading me to understand that 1) I’d have to find a shop to do it, and not everybody will 2) the parts on their own are about $1k, the labor is anywhere from $1-2k on its own, and usually it’s done with a clutch job or bigger tune bc it involves opening up the transmission (so probably expect to spend anywhere from $2.5-$4k depending on total work being done).

It feels like there’s so many variables. Like I could buy a car that’s got what I want and is/isn’t beat to poo poo and I could also spend more like $15k or more like $20k and it’s really a crapshoot. Also we’re talking about cars that are located like all over the northeast.

Is it even worth going through all of that trouble? Could I just find a “good enough” car in my area and sign some paperwork and be done with it? I don’t even know how much better the PP is vs just the bone-stock GTI and I don’t really have the means or time to extensively test drive those differences.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok so. I think I want a GTI. I think I want a manual GTI. With the Plaid. I think I’m going to go out and shop for a car, and when I do so, I will be looking for GTIs and I’m ready to stop looking for other cars.

The question now is which GTI? And how do I find the right one?

My budget is ideally $20k or less. Preferably even under $18k. Basically I’ve got a down payment of ~$8k between insurance payout on my old car and budgeted cash and I’d like to finance in the ballpark of $10k, but less is always better and a little more could potentially be put out for the right car.

TLDR, I’m looking at cars as cheap as $13k and as expensive as $20-21k with a goal to stay ideally in the $15-19k range. I’m seeing a lot of private sellers that I don’t know how to assess and a lot of dealerships that inspire differing levels of confidence.

How old? Should I look for Performance Pack? Should its absence be a dealbreaker? Should I stick to cars made post-2017? Post-2018? Should I pick a higher mileage car (70k, 90k, 110k) that’s newer and/or has PP features vs, say, a 2015 or 2016 with <50k miles that doesn’t look like it has those add-ons? What about 2014 if the miles are good (<60k) and the price is under $15 grand?

Should I just prioritize cheapness and good health/maintenance and forget about buying *the best GTI* with *the right options* and then add stuff like a LSD or tune in the aftermarket space on my own?

I’m in New England, and just a cursory search online is leading me to understand that 1) I’d have to find a shop to do it, and not everybody will 2) the parts on their own are about $1k, the labor is anywhere from $1-2k on its own, and usually it’s done with a clutch job or bigger tune bc it involves opening up the transmission (so probably expect to spend anywhere from $2.5-$4k depending on total work being done).

It feels like there’s so many variables. Like I could buy a car that’s got what I want and is/isn’t beat to poo poo and I could also spend more like $15k or more like $20k and it’s really a crapshoot. Also we’re talking about cars that are located like all over the northeast.

Is it even worth going through all of that trouble? Could I just find a “good enough” car in my area and sign some paperwork and be done with it? I don’t even know how much better the PP is vs just the bone-stock GTI and I don’t really have the means or time to extensively test drive those differences.

Do the stock GTIs not have an LSD? I thought even my 07 GTI had an LSD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

AFAIK, with the Mk6 and Mk7 it was an optional add-on via the fabled Performance Pack, which was later also spun off into a Sport trim level in 2017 (those seem to be pricier than avg) that slotted between the base S and more luxe SE (leather interior, etc).

Then in 2018 those Sport/Performance Pack features (LSD, bigger brakes, upgraded cooling, 10+ hp) were made standard.

The problem is that all of the 2018/2019/2020 cars start to get out of my budget fast. Like I might be able to justify going to $21 or $22k max but I can’t afford $24k+ to say nothing of a brand new one.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I picked up a 2016 GTI SE with the performance pack about two years ago now. When I was shopping around, it was a pain to find one in manual and get to the dealership quick enough to look at it. So far it's been great, just a bit over 50k miles now, and we've only had to do the usual services; though we did do the vaq differential fluid at 40k even though the American service guide said it was a lifetime fluid. I can't speak to how shopping in New England is now, as we left last year, but I ended up picking mine up in Maine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I should add that the market is looking super stupid right now.

Like, if I go on autotrader and set my max budget to $22k then the most expensive car I get at $21900 is a 2016 S with 29k miles. And that seams dumb when I can find five 2016s and five more 2017s between $15 and $19k and between 30k and 95k miles, and there doesn’t appear to be much rhyme or reason as to why one costs $16k and the other costs $18,999 beyond “that’s what they decided to list it as”.

I think I’m starting to conclude that I should get the car that inspires the most confidence while also being new enough and as inexpensive as possible and gently caress everything else.

If I get something like a 2016 or 2017 in the ~60k miles range and spend more like $16 grand instead of $21 grand on a lower-mileage car/car with the add-ons, then I can plan on doing a clutch replacement+LSD upgrade when it hits 100k or something like that.

every pre-2018 that has “PERFORMANCE PACK ADDED” in the listed features is automatically a minimum of $23k and I don’t want to pay that much.

When I totaled the drat CRV my original plan was to spend $10k all-in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

My 07 definitely did not. It was an option at the time, I believe.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man I sympathize with the market right now that’s wild. My first car I bought in 2012 and it was an 07 2 door with 40k miles I bought for $12.5k wild how much the market had gone insane in that regard on top of regular inflation

I think buying the cleanest you can find is probably best and being less picky about spec if you need a car like kind of now due to the total, but if you have time to be picky it might be worthwhile to wait for at least something LSD spec’d if that’s something you really want because the adding it later part is such a like unlikely thing to actually do imo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I picked up a 2016 GTI SE with the performance pack about two years ago now. When I was shopping around, it was a pain to find one in manual and get to the dealership quick enough to look at it. So far it's been great, just a bit over 50k miles now, and we've only had to do the usual services; though we did do the vaq differential fluid at 40k even though the American service guide said it was a lifetime fluid. I can't speak to how shopping in New England is now, as we left last year, but I ended up picking mine up in Maine.

They finally added the VAQ fluid interval in an addendum to the manual, but I doubt anybody looks those up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

My 07 definitely did not. It was an option at the time, I believe.

Ah, this one is the Highline package or whatever so I guess it has it. Certainly feels like it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Ah, this one is the Highline package or whatever so I guess it has it. Certainly feels like it.

we’ll be back in the Highline again

all the doors we closed one time will open up again

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My local Audi dealer called me today and offered me $5K more for my RS5 than what I paid for it in December. They said they have a few customers who want one now and are willing to pay a premium. The down side to the deal is that if I want another to replace it I’ll be waiting about 10 months for a factory order and I’d be pretty much paying MSRP for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheBacon posted:

I think buying the cleanest you can find is probably best and being less picky about spec if you need a car like kind of now due to the total, but if you have time to be picky it might be worthwhile to wait for at least something LSD spec’d if that’s something you really want because the adding it later part is such a like unlikely thing to actually do imo.

agree with this. you're very unlikely to actually add an LSD, because adding a LSD adds significant cost down the line. It also will not benefit you if you want to resell the car.

I always get a little concerned when I see people saying "well I was planning to spend $10K but now my budget is $20K" from a financial standpoint, but I assume the OP won't be too adversely effected.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

agree with this. you're very unlikely to actually add an LSD, because adding a LSD adds significant cost down the line. It also will not benefit you if you want to resell the car.

I always get a little concerned when I see people saying "well I was planning to spend $10K but now my budget is $20K" from a financial standpoint, but I assume the OP won't be too adversely effected.

My budget was ~$10k when I originally planned to buy a car cash and not finance it at all, which isn’t a plan I entertained for very long.

Once I had a range of car in mind (recent hatchback or crossover, <6 years, decent amenities and interior, well-rated, enjoyable enough to drive) and started looking at the usual suspects (Mazda, Honda, VW, Subaru, etc) it became clear that I was gonna be spending between $15 and $20k no matter what right now.

So then it became natural to ask “well can I just get a GTI for around that much?”

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

So then it became natural to ask “well can I just get a GTI for around that much?”

See this is thinking with portals!

But ya I’d try and see if you can find a way to test drive with and without somehow to see if you really want it because now is really the only time to do it. I used Turo to find similar generation cars to what I was looking for (other than stick since that was the rare part) and rented a couple cars for a weekend each to see like how the engine felt and if I liked living with the car, it was $100-$150 for like Saturday morning pick up Sunday drop off each time for E9X BMW in my area. I’d see if turo has any modern GTI in your area so you can get a feel for it, see DSG vs manual and maybe an LSD if you’re lucky. I like the turo approach since I can go bomb some backroads and also go grocery shopping and just get a much better bigger living with it picture than just a quick 15 minute test drive somewhere you don’t know any of the roads.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Mr. Apollo posted:

My local Audi dealer called me today and offered me $5K more for my RS5 than what I paid for it in December. They said they have a few customers who want one now and are willing to pay a premium. The down side to the deal is that if I want another to replace it I’ll be waiting about 10 months for a factory order and I’d be pretty much paying MSRP for it.

IIRC you got a very good deal on the RS5, so I feel like a dealer would have to offer me a lot more than $5k CAD for the hassle, even if I was technically coming out ahead. I see there's about 15 RS5 SBs in Canada, and probably a couple more in port in Halifax. Not sure why anyone who wants one now and is willing to pay a premium wouldn't try to get one transferred from another dealer or diverted when released from port.

mik fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 20, 2021

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
edit: babby's first double post

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Just got 53.3 mpg on my 40 mile drive home from work :coal:

According to the display anyways. I'll calibrate it with OBDEleven once I get a few tanks measured.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I routinely get 50mpg in my 15 SportWagen TDI and by me diesel is the same as regular + or - 3 cents and it is :smug:

That being said I will be replacing my ‘08 G6 with an EV when my area has the infrastructure and VW has at least a generation of refinement.

Hopefully the next model year :pray:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If I'm doing highway on my Q7 TDI I average 25-28MPG, about 20-22 around town.
That sounds terrible before you realize the Q7 weight is 5,500lbs and the 3.0 Supercharged gets worse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve finally sat down and run the financials with a pro and come up with a range of what I’m willing to spend.

I’m going to be test driving some GTIs this week. I’m seeing a few 2017-2018 SEs, which at minimum have the nicer lights, if not the desired upgrades (or it’s standard in the 2018) and a couple of 2019s, including a Rabbit Edition (:allears:) at the highest end of my price range ($25k), but it is nifty. Also some less expensive 2019 SEs and IIRC maybe one S in the $20-24k range.

I’m going to be putting a lot of miles (~15-20k) on this car for work and after talking with a financial professional, I should be able to write off a healthy portion of the costs over the next several years. I want the best experience possible in terms of amenities but of course I don’t wanna overpay. Is the 2019 infotainment/etc worth it over the 2017? 2018? Am I gonna miss the plaid if I go with leather? How does the leather hold up? I plan to spend a lot of time in it so granular improvements in experience in one year/model vs another matter to me.

There are way more SEs available in my area/budget with the desired features than anything else, so dollars to donuts I end up with leather interior and a sunroof. Is that bad? People seem to hate both those things....and I really want the plaid.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 21, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I haven't been in an 18+but believe that had the digital dash and new lights front and rear. I didn't like the styling as much personally but nobody can tell you what you like. Drive both and if you want plaid, get loving plaid. :colbert:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
The fender system is pretty great, unfortunately I don't think that's an option you could get with plaid.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
When I bought my 2011 GTI most of my experience with cars was while living in Florida where leather seats are only for people who don't value the skin on the back of their legs. I got the highest trim that still had plaid seats even though that meant missing out on all the goodies (keyless entry, back up camera, etc...) that came with the only slightly higher priced autobahn edition.

Next car is still getting cooled seats though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Suburban Dad posted:

I haven't been in an 18+but believe that had the digital dash and new lights front and rear. I didn't like the styling as much personally but nobody can tell you what you like. Drive both and if you want plaid, get loving plaid. :colbert:
No digital dash, that only came in the R.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have black leather in my S8 and it was not too bad. I park under a shade or the trunk towards the sun, so the rear sunshade will cover the interior.

In fact it doesn't feel any worse than my A6's cloth seats. I'm still surprised. Part of it may be that S8 has solar protection films in windows while A6 does not.

Also lost my license due to speeding so I'm going to sell my A6. Don't really need 2 cars anyways.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Keeping the 560 HP monster certainly seems like the wise move when you have a lead foot.

My S4 has 200 less HP and I have trouble staying within 15 of the posted speed limit. It just doesn't *feel or sound* that fast so I have to constantly check HUD.

edit: Also, I haven't had an issue with the alcantara seats being too hot at all, I just want vented seats next.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
really dont miss my S5 not having cooled seats, even living in the blasted lands of Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mik posted:

IIRC you got a very good deal on the RS5, so I feel like a dealer would have to offer me a lot more than $5k CAD for the hassle, even if I was technically coming out ahead. I see there's about 15 RS5 SBs in Canada, and probably a couple more in port in Halifax. Not sure why anyone who wants one now and is willing to pay a premium wouldn't try to get one transferred from another dealer or diverted when released from port.
I'm not taking the offer. I'd have to spend another $15K - $20K to get a car with the same specs as mine, plus I'd have wait close to a year for it.

I don't know if the dealer actually has a customer of if they're just trying to get me into the showroom (it seems odd to target someone after only 6 months of ownership).