Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

What did Lee Carter do to piss off voters? I know he's done things to piss off the party and other legislators. Was this just an example of voters blindly going along with what the party tells them to do, or did he actually do something deeply unpopular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So while poking around the interwebs I spotted a comment that said "Trump's started wearing diapers in public now".

I'm guessing this is just another rumor based on him (allegedly and falsely it seems) wearing his pants backwards for a speech? Oh hey his pants look weird, well he's not wearing them backwards like we first thought, why do they look weird? Hey, maybe he's wearing an adult diaper? Etc.

Reminds me of that George Bush debate where everyone was all "What the heck was that rectangle thing under his suit jacket on his back"? Did we ever find out what (likely simple) thing it was?

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 9, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Inferior Third Season posted:

What did Lee Carter do to piss off voters? I know he's done things to piss off the party and other legislators. Was this just an example of voters blindly going along with what the party tells them to do, or did he actually do something deeply unpopular?

I don't think the voters who elected LEE CARTER are Blindly Go With The Party voters. Maybe they decided to punish him for killing Right To Work Repeal.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's more that he just didn't do much to get people to vote for him. Apparently he also barely campaigned at all, which given how burned out he sounds it generally adds up.

Also broadly speaking, he never had near the profile/name recognition you'd need to compete in a gubernatorial election. Sometimes you can offset that with party support, but afaik he burned a lot of bridges with virginia dsa so he was very much on his own.

People more knowledgeable than me have posted about this in the state/local politics thread if you want to read more about yesterday's primaries in virginia.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 9, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So while poking around the interwebs I spotted a comment that said "Trump's started wearing diapers in public now".

I'm guessing this is just another rumor based on him (allegedly and falsely it seems) wearing his pants backwards for a speech? Oh hey his pants look wear, well he's not wearing them backwards like we first thought, why do they look weird? Hey, maybe he's wearing an adult diaper? Etc.

Reminds me of that George Bush debate where everyone was all "What the heck was that rectangle thing under his suit jacket on his back"? Did we ever find out what (likely simple) thing it was?

This interview is what seems to have really set it off.

https://youtu.be/N60ceYRlY2I

Person seems to be honestly recounting real specific, but who knows. “Loudly evacuating his bowels” should’ve been a thread title in 2018.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Ive been seeing the despotism word being thrown about re Biden overriding the law to do good things and Im wondering if these people know what that word means.

Despotism is wielding and exercising power, yes, but also in a cruel or oppressive way. If Biden didnt try to sue a state for banning for-profit immigration facilities, would that be cruel or oppressive? In fact, wouldn't leveraging the power of the federal government to shut down states, or anyone else, that were attempting to do the moral right thing be the very definition of despotism?

Judakel posted:

Despots are evil, and this certainly isn't evil.

Despotism is a state of government where the ruler wields absolute power, particularly, but not necessarily, in a cruel way.

Pretty much every despot who's walked the Earth had claimed they were wielding that power for a good and moral reason.

Edit: it's also pretty funny to pivot from a "all power inherently corrupts" discussion to "my use of absolute power is moral and good"

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 9, 2021

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ballz posted:

There’s always the possibility that Biden expands the lower courts too, although I haven’t heard much rumblings on that front for a while.

Considering Dems can't even restrict the filibuster or pass HR1, I would not hold my breath about expanding the courts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm guessing this is just another rumor based on him (allegedly and falsely it seems) wearing his pants backwards for a speech? Oh hey his pants look wear, well he's not wearing them backwards like we first thought, why do they look weird? Hey, maybe he's wearing an adult diaper? Etc.

He didn't even wear his pants backwards, other pictures show the zipper. He's just a giant fat man who wears ill fitting clothes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jarmak posted:

Pretty much every despot who's walked the Earth had claimed they were wielding that power for a good and moral reason.

So has every government? Unless a government has argued "no, we must keep doing bad things" in which case I hope that the bad things they say must continue happen to them more than anyone else.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

So has every government? Unless a government has argued "no, we must keep doing bad things" in which case I hope that the bad things they say must continue happen to them more than anyone else.

Yes, precisely, that's exactly why the libs care so much about preserving institutions and structures that prevent the consolidation of power.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Lee Carter did a lot of good, shame he lost both races but at least he left a strong track record. Considering the nonsense he's dealt with I can totally understand him being burnt out on campaigning.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

He didn't even wear his pants backwards, other pictures show the zipper. He's just a giant fat man who wears ill fitting clothes.

He's a misshapen obese man who has tailors skilled enough to placate his lack of taste and style while also hiding the worst of his physique, but sometimes it's clear they had to make compromises.

Unrelated: I was generally nodding along to this article with only minor quibbles until I got to the last "America" and think it just completely missed the mark and misrepresented them and what they stand for. I'd be curious what others thought

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/george-packer-four-americas/619012/

I have no idea who George Packer is or how seriously I should take him, so apologies if he's an idiot. I do think the "Four Americas" concept is useful though, even if I think it mostly breaks down into a grid of Rich/Poor and Individualist/Collectivist

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1402595789248110595

NYT The Daily also saying this morning that the new cold war attitude towards China is probably the only hope for the USA to survive this century without falling to partisan pieces, everyone has something to gain by building up US industry to compete with them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

We don't call them diapers; we call them briefs. And trump is absolutely wearing them. I was a CNA. I have put on thousands of briefs and gotten patients dressed for their families; both expensive briefs with properly tailored pants and the cheap rip away kinds with sweat pants on over. I can spot them a mile away.

Trump is obese/morbidly obese. he very likely has some form of urinary incontinence. his diet is horrible so he likely also has chronic constipation. Chronic constipation can lead to fecal incontinence. In patients like him it's called streaking. It can also lead to all kinds of other IBS symptoms.

The boomers are aging, are generally overweight and unhealthy, and the things that traditionally would have killed them, like heart lung or kidney disease, can largely be treated. Unfortunately for them, we ain't got a whole lot for what the ravages of their lifestyles have done to their urinary/GI systems. This problem is not unique to Trump.

quote:

Those days seem to be over. Within the next 10 years, sales of adult diapers could rival or even surpass sales of diapers for babies at companies like Kimberly-Clark, which makes Huggies and Depends. Sales are projected to jump from $1.8 billion in 2015 to $2.7 billion by 2020, a 48 percent increase. Sales of diapers for babies, meanwhile, are expected to climb by just 2.6 percent.

As many as 1/3 of all adults – 80 percent of them women – have bladder issues.
Babies will eventually stop needing diapers. Adults with incontinence won’t.
Bowel incontinence affects six percent of women under 40, and 15 percent of older women. Among men, that figure is six to 10 percent. According to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders:

About 30 percent of people with irritable bowel syndrome have frequent loose stools.
Another 20 percent report bowel incontinence.

http://content.propernutrition.com/the-adult-diaper-boom-the-movement-to-remove-stigma

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Much like mental health, I don't think it's a good idea to attempt to diagnose physical problems based on someone's appearance at a media event. Trump does enough terrible things that people should focus on the content of what he does and believe and not on his appearance.

It's also just really cheap politics "You're ugly and your momma dresses you funny" level of discourse.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's more that he just didn't do much to get people to vote for him. Apparently he also barely campaigned at all, which given how burned out he sounds it generally adds up.

Also broadly speaking, he never had near the profile/name recognition you'd need to compete in a gubernatorial election. Sometimes you can offset that with party support, but afaik he burned a lot of bridges with virginia dsa so he was very much on his own.

People more knowledgeable than me have posted about this in the state/local politics thread if you want to read more about yesterday's primaries in virginia.
From what I've talked to comrades in VA, yeah he was lovely to the DSA chapters who helped run his first campaigns, his manager/partner was the person behind the Joshua4Congress grift, the whisper network stuff about him were true, and he just had a gigantic ego thinking he could post his way to victory.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jarmak posted:

Yes, precisely, that's exactly why the libs care so much about preserving institutions and structures that prevent the consolidation of power.

That does not seem to be true at all though? The US president has a huge amount of foreign policy powers available at every juncture. The power to kill people from half a world away but not to help the suffering in ones own nation seems to me to not be the best expression of a "lack of despotism".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of my secret issue opinions is that no government meetings should ever take public comment.

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1402408416228806663

https://twitter.com/IAmAmnaNawaz/status/1402361220838170631

https://twitter.com/IAmAmnaNawaz/status/1402370197076463623

BTW none of this poo poo is new, and you can go to any school board meeting or city council meeting in the country (though they are so mind-numbingly boring - why would you unless you are an insane person that wants 5 minutes to yell at officials in public?) and find at least one or two folks there to bring up their personal conspiracy theories. These free-for-alls are astroturfed up "Show up to show support for/against [crazy thing we all think]" where 100 people give more or less identical testimony and then when the proposal comes up for a vote you get the "hundreds appeared to testify for/against the measure" obligatory line in the article, making it seem like whatever fringe position is at issue is within the current overton window.

I'll remind everyone that literally no public school in America is teaching critical race theory. My mom was deeply distrustful of school administrations (because she thought we were so special and smart that they were failing us :kiddo: ) so I've heard plenty from this flavor of activist who is sure that public schools are indoctrinating students with whatever the made-up liberal boogeyman was that particular year. This stuff used to get spread only through small Christian publishing houses, then rightwing talk radio, then Fox and now social media is just sopping wet with it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 9, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

E: absolutely posting in the wrong thread. Nope, just, nope.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Justice Department says it can ‘vigorously’ defend religious schools’ exemption from anti-LGBTQ discrimination laws

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...m_medium=social

quote:

The Justice Department in a court filing Tuesday said it can “vigorously” defend a religious exemption from federal civil rights law that allows federally funded religious schools to discriminate against LGBTQ students, a move that surprised some LGBTQ advocates who said the wording went further than just an obligation to defend an existing law.

In the filing, the Biden administration said it “shares the same ultimate objective” as the conservative Christian schools named in the case.

“What this means is that the government is now aligning itself with anti-LGBTQ hate in order to vigorously defend an exemption that everyone knows causes severe harm to LGBTQ students using taxpayer money,” said Paul Carlos Southwick, director of the Religious Exemption Accountability Project, which filed the case in March on behalf of dozens of current and past students at conservative religious colleges and universities. “It will make our case harder if the federal government plans to vigorously defend it like they have indicated.”

same DOJ guy who signed this brief signed the one claiming that Trump slandering his rape victim was part of his official duties as President and thus the DOJ should defend.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

NYT The Daily also saying this morning that the new cold war attitude towards China is probably the only hope for the USA to survive this century without falling to partisan pieces, everyone has something to gain by building up US industry to compete with them.

That’s pretty much the way I see it, which is why people are noticing China apologia, at the same time the ramp up in rhetoric in tandem with the pandemic is definitely leading to anti-Asian hysteria. It seems improbable either will be contained as Beijing grows more bold. The US is at a disadvantage with our factions being all in virtual conflict with one another and it’s going to be a hell of a decade to catch up.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

brugroffil posted:

Justice Department says it can ‘vigorously’ defend religious schools’ exemption from anti-LGBTQ discrimination laws

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...m_medium=social

same DOJ guy who signed this brief signed the one claiming that Trump slandering his rape victim was part of his official duties as President and thus the DOJ should defend.

Biden needs to fire this chud asap

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Harold Fjord posted:

Biden needs to fire this chud asap

Yeah, this. Toss this loving chud gently caress or demote him to some backwater.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm sure he's not doing this on his own but with direction from the top (garland). He came into the DOJ in January.

e: this is his second stint in the DOJ. he was also there 2014-january 2017. This is the Biden/Garland DOJ's official stance, not some rogue "chud"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thom12255 posted:

I have no idea what would win the battle between "virulent xenophobia" and "thou shalt not support anything supported by Democrats, ever" in the present Republican party's psyche.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1402625045978042374

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kanos posted:

I have no idea what would win the battle between "virulent xenophobia" and "thou shalt not support anything supported by Democrats, ever" in the present Republican party's psyche.

Let's see how many big megadonors with low public profiles end up being PRC-sympathizers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reconciliation it is then.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Raise the taxes on corporations and billionaires. 80%. For every complaint, raise it 1%.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

The NYT article, for reference.

I posted about this bill a while back and back then it was still being framed as a bill to increase funding for basic research and some STEM-focused applied R&D. Now it's just 'the China bill'. Hilarious. So why can't this approach be used to justify more progressive legislation?

The Defending Our Infrastructure From Godless Chinese Communists Bill

The Universal Healthcare Bill To Keep Our Young Men and Women Healthy In Case They Need to be Drafted to Fight a Chinese Invasion Bill

The Voting Rights Act to Prevent Chinese Election Interference Bi

Also worth noting since I asked a few pages ago what examples of bipartisanship have there actually been in the Senate so far besides the USPS bill - I guess this is the other one (once it passes the House, anyway).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 9, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It brings a smile to my face that all these values that conservatives in regressive counties scream about being taught to kids in schools are actually being taught over social media. There's nothing they can do to stop them at the institutional level.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

eXXon posted:

The Universal Healthcare Bill To Keep Our Young Men and Women Healthy In Case They Need to be Drafted to Fight a Chinese Invasion Bill

A lot of the social welfare reforms in the UK in the 20th century were aimed at making the nation's population stronger in a war so it's a good route to go!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

A lot of the social welfare reforms in the UK in the 20th century were aimed at making the nation's population stronger in a war so it's a good route to go!

Same in Germany!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gatts posted:

Raise the taxes on corporations and billionaires. 80%. For every complaint, raise it 1%.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

One of my secret issue opinions is that no government meetings should ever take public comment.

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1402408416228806663

https://twitter.com/IAmAmnaNawaz/status/1402361220838170631

https://twitter.com/IAmAmnaNawaz/status/1402370197076463623

BTW none of this poo poo is new, and you can go to any school board meeting or city council meeting in the country (though they are so mind-numbingly boring - why would you unless you are an insane person that wants 5 minutes to yell at officials in public?) and find at least one or two folks there to bring up their personal conspiracy theories. These free-for-alls are astroturfed up "Show up to show support for/against [crazy thing we all think]" where 100 people give more or less identical testimony and then when the proposal comes up for a vote you get the "hundreds appeared to testify for/against the measure" obligatory line in the article, making it seem like whatever fringe position is at issue is within the current overton window.

I'll remind everyone that literally no public school in America is teaching critical race theory. My mom was deeply distrustful of school administrations (because she thought we were so special and smart that they were failing us :kiddo: ) so I've heard plenty from this flavor of activist who is sure that public schools are indoctrinating students with whatever the made-up liberal boogeyman was that particular year. This stuff used to get spread only through small Christian publishing houses, then rightwing talk radio, then Fox and now social media is just sopping wet with it.

yeah. like "critical race theory" stuff is mostly in college and a couple history classes and most of that is basically "hey America did and still does bad poo poo to minorities in this country and other parts of the world and we should learn from it so we don't do it anymore" as well as "hey look at these other folks in history who wernt white and or men and look at their accomplishments" its like holy gently caress, the way these sacks of poo poo act, you would think we were showing them loving snuff pictures.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gatts posted:

Oh is it time for Coons and Carper to be the designated villains?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like "critical race theory" stuff is mostly in college and a couple history classes and most of that is basically "hey America did and still does bad poo poo to minorities in this country and other parts of the world and we should learn from it so we don't do it anymore" as well as "hey look at these other folks in history who wernt white and or men and look at their accomplishments" its like holy gently caress, the way these sacks of poo poo act, you would think we were showing them loving snuff pictures.
USnews: Everything past the 1950s is Snuff to Old People
:laugh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

USnews: Everything past the 1950s is Snuff to Old People
:laugh:

pretty much. as someone who loves history. i loving hate these idiots. history isnt some clean idealized idea where everyone is some magic fairy tale paragon or some evil gently caress(though the latter does exist more then the former). its just people being people with all the good and horrible poo poo that that entails both systemically and individually. like these assholes are getting mad that they arnt getting some sanitized bullshit is more pathetic then anything. like i find the real picture of the american founders as more interesting then the sanitized bullshit the chuds want.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The explanation that tends to work on people who aren't entrenched is that Critical Race Theory is essentially a lens to study history through. It's just an analysis tool like a lot of other theories we are taught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

The explanation that tends to work on people who aren't entrenched is that Critical Race Theory is essentially a lens to study history through. It's just an analysis tool like a lot of other theories we are taught.

that too. i am just used to it through history because thats what i blew my major on.