Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
More adventures in big projects.

Weather hasn't been cooperative, so work isn't going to start today on our deck/porch. Dumpster got dropped off, so at least I got that going for me.

Also I just noticed that water/sewer didn't get marked when I called 811. Looked in to it and those are considered private lines since the city uses curbside meters around here, so that's where their responsibility ends... and I know at least the sewer goes out near where work is happening. No idea where water comes in, but I have to assume the same area. Been scrambling this morning to find a private line locating service and the only one to actually answer the phone so far isn't available until next Monday, and they want $150/hour with a 2 hour minimum. Got a call a few minutes ago from another that can get out here Thursday and pricing is identical, so I guess that's the going rate.

So now I've got:

1) 2 pallets of lumber sitting in the back yard
2) A dumpster sitting in the driveway
3) Some fading paint lines from 811 and more coming soon
4) No real idea when work will actually start, coupled with a slightly unfavorable weather forecast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

So last night around 11:00, my partner and I both heard odd noises that sounded kind of like stuff was being moved or maybe distant thunder. Seemed to be coming from the attic. My first thought was raccoons because of the time of day I heard them and time of year, but when I went up into the attic to look around today, I saw nothing out of the ordinary or anywhere a raccoon could’ve entered from. (I am untrained though!) Now I’m wondering maybe some critter was just stomping around on my roof?

My current plan is to just wait and see if we hear it again before calling anyone. Hopefully it was nothing and not an issue I gotta spend a gently caress load of money on!!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sublimer posted:

So last night around 11:00, my partner and I both heard odd noises that sounded kind of like stuff was being moved or maybe distant thunder. Seemed to be coming from the attic. My first thought was raccoons because of the time of day I heard them and time of year, but when I went up into the attic to look around today, I saw nothing out of the ordinary or anywhere a raccoon could’ve entered from. (I am untrained though!) Now I’m wondering maybe some critter was just stomping around on my roof?

My current plan is to just wait and see if we hear it again before calling anyone. Hopefully it was nothing and not an issue I gotta spend a gently caress load of money on!!

rodents or bats: either inside, on the roof, or in the gutters

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Squirrels can sound like a sasquatch on your roof when they want to

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Sublimer posted:

When I was a new homeowner and every noise was stress-inducing I also thought for sure there was mice in my attic because of the noises I'd hear directly above me when in bed/random times of day. Searched the attic and found no evidence of anything wrong. Eventually I happened to hear the noise one day with my blinds open and noticed a bunch of birds on the gutter right outside the window jumping all over the gutters... I'll take that over mice any day though. I've since also been woken up bright an early by what I assume is a woodpecker slamming into my gutter just to troll me.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Cool. Probably something of that nature. I should’ve mentioned that my cat naps up there occasionally and we’ve never heard him fight or scamper around.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Verman posted:

These things.

Most of the time you tap a Philips into it and back it out. Sometimes when they are over inserted and you tap it, it pushes through and makes a big hole.

I know a lot of people just push them in slightly further into the drywall and fill/paint. I prefer to just remove them all together and fill that hole.

As for paint, here's what the living room looks like now. We don't get great afternoon light into the space due to tree coverage but you get the idea. It's all decorators white on this section. It was gray and darker gray making the closet a focal point while darkening that portion of the living room. We wanted to brighten it up and make the closet blend in more. It looks gray in the photo but that's just lack of light. It honestly made a huge difference. I'll take the doors off and paint the same white eventually. I REALLY WISH the previous owners had kept the beams natural wood and not paint them. I don't hate the white, would just prefer natural wood.

This is actually a light gray and stands out against the trim much more than the decorators white. This wall carries through to the kitchen and will have a large book case on it so I wanted something other than just white while still keeping it light enough to brighten up the space. Might not be able to tell but it's decorators white on the left and owl gray on the right.

I just finished the white wall in my office and baby seal black will be going on next. I've been wanting a dark office/guitar room for a while.

And it's a mess. Haven't cleaned the floors, reinstalled fixtures or plate covers yet.

Thanks for posting these. I was kind of expecting the coolness of the gray to clash with the warmth of the wood, but it goes together nicely. I'm with you, it bugs me when people paint wood or masonry (unless it's some builder-grade bullshit or otherwise really ugly); a beautiful piece of wood needs a protective stain and little else. I don't not-like the white beams, but I bet they looked really nice just stained.

I'm a big fan of "decorators white," I think, I like my art to pop, but I am not opposed to a well-done, more colorful wall. I was on a call yesterday and a participant was sitting in a denim-blue room with white trim and white built-in shelving and it looked really nice.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

The Rev posted:

I've since also been woken up bright an early by what I assume is a woodpecker slamming into my gutter just to troll me.

Woodpeckers are douchebags.

They love to peck on things during mating season. Not in a "digging in to wood and destroying poo poo to get a bug" way, but a "ima make a machine gun sound lol" way.

Really annoying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verman posted:

.........Wash it beforehand to get manufacturing fibers out of it.

If you're going to take a break, load your brush or roller up with paint to prevent drying.

Two things I've never thought of. I'm going to stop throwing my entire roller tray in a garbage bag when taking a break now.

DaveSauce posted:

Woodpeckers are douchebags.

They love to peck on things during mating season. Not in a "digging in to wood and destroying poo poo to get a bug" way, but a "ima make a machine gun sound lol" way.

Really annoying.

Yep, one decided that one of my metal chimney caps was the perfect place to play king of the mountain this year. It was echoing through the whole drat house.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I'm with you, it bugs me when people paint wood or masonry; a beautiful piece of wood needs a protective stain and little else. I don't not-like the white beams, but I bet they looked really nice just stained.

Painted masonry you say? Let me show you the fireplace.

I'm torn on it. Part of me thinks we should just lean into the painted brick and paint it darker charcoal gray. I hate white fireplaces and I'm not a huge fan of really contrasting painted brick and grout lines unless it's the actual color of brick and grout.

Really long term pipe dream is maybe restoring the fireplace to normal brick again, as well as stripping the beams. The paint on both came off very easily in small test sections but that will be a mountain of messy work that I'm not quite sure even I feel like doing with other priorities in the list. I think we have 16 beams total and they're ~ 14' long. About a foot tall, 6-8" thick. That would be a lot of labor intensive work (sanding/stripping). In one closet you can see the original bare beam and it's beautiful.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 8, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You reminded me when I moved in, my wife and I made a list of the things we wanted to do and prioritized them, and I did some cost estimates to plan for it. We rated the priorities from one to five, and color coded for what year we wanted to do them by.

It didn't all happen but the things that did happen were good! It helped me break it down into manageable chunks. It helped me make the decision of wider driveway vs shower remodel.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

java posted:

I have owned a home for about a week now and already have a full and complete appreciation of the thread title.

Imagine actually getting anybody to bother with a small job, these days.

I had someone look at my fascia which needs some serious work, he comes well recommended but he doesn't have his own crews, he subcontracts out, so he told me he's not sure he'd even be able to find anybody that would be interested in my half day job.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One of the contractors I reached out to for a quote on a new deck said he would only take the job if I also agreed to replace all my siding on my house.

He'd be leaving money on the table for any job that took less than 2 solid weeks of work.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Verman posted:

Painted masonry you say? Let me show you the fireplace.

I'm torn on it. Part of me thinks we should just lean into the painted brick and paint it darker charcoal gray. I hate white fireplaces and I'm not a huge fan of really contrasting painted brick and grout lines unless it's the actual color of brick and grout.

Really long term pipe dream is maybe restoring the fireplace to normal brick again, as well as stripping the beams. The paint on both came off very easily in small test sections but that will be a mountain of messy work that I'm not quite sure even I feel like doing with other priorities in the list. I think we have 16 beams total and they're ~ 14' long. About a foot tall, 6-8" thick. That would be a lot of labor intensive work (sanding/stripping). In one closet you can see the original bare beam and it's beautiful.

I unironically love that weird closet that doesn't go up to the ceiling. An apartment I rented had kitchen walls like that, normal height, but the rest of the ceilings were vaulted, and my cat would climb up there and chill in the gap, judging us all.

I'm with you, I'd change it. How antsy are you to get it back to livable? Because, honestly, you are still gonna have to do the floors anyway, right? I'd be tempted to just go for it, buuuuut I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew.

Owning a townhome has been a really good way of keeping my wannabe DIY aspirations in check.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Verman posted:

These things.

Most of the time you tap a Philips into it and back it out. Sometimes when they are over inserted and you tap it, it pushes through and makes a big hole.

I know a lot of people just push them in slightly further into the drywall and fill/paint. I prefer to just remove them all together and fill that hole.

As for paint, here's what the living room looks like now. We don't get great afternoon light into the space due to tree coverage but you get the idea. It's all decorators white on this section. It was gray and darker gray making the closet a focal point while darkening that portion of the living room. We wanted to brighten it up and make the closet blend in more. It looks gray in the photo but that's just lack of light. It honestly made a huge difference. I'll take the doors off and paint the same white eventually. I REALLY WISH the previous owners had kept the beams natural wood and not paint them. I don't hate the white, would just prefer natural wood.

This is actually a light gray and stands out against the trim much more than the decorators white. This wall carries through to the kitchen and will have a large book case on it so I wanted something other than just white while still keeping it light enough to brighten up the space. Might not be able to tell but it's decorators white on the left and owl gray on the right.

I just finished the white wall in my office and baby seal black will be going on next. I've been wanting a dark office/guitar room for a while.

And it's a mess. Haven't cleaned the floors, reinstalled fixtures or plate covers yet.
I kind of want to steal your ceilings.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

gvibes posted:

I kind of want to steal your ceilings.

Ask yourself where the isulation is. I saw a house like this too and realized nothing in it had insulating properties. It's beautiful but that must be expensive to heat/cool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Ask yourself where the isulation is. I saw a house like this too and realized nothing in it had insulating properties. It's beautiful but that must be expensive to heat/cool.

Insulation isn't a problem when these types of ceilings are properly constructed. You aren't looking at roof decking.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Insulation isn't a problem when these types of ceilings are properly constructed. You aren't looking at roof decking.

Most I saw were 1960s houses, that wood is the underlayment for the plywood and shingles in my town.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Most I saw were 1960s houses, that wood is the underlayment for the plywood and shingles in my town.

Right, so....for that climate that is an improperly constructed ceiling. Even for the 60s. Insulation was understood to be an important thing even then and was readily available. You just have what sounds like a single incorrectly built example that you mention.

So if somebody's shopping in that particular area it's a good call out. But it's not the indictment of that style ceiling as you seem to think it is. Nobody can tell from that picture whether it's done properly or not.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Right, so....for that climate that is an improperly constructed ceiling. Even for the 60s. Insulation was understood to be an important thing even then and was readily available. You just have what sounds like a single incorrectly built example that you mention.

So if somebody's shopping in that particular area it's a good call out. But it's not the indictment of that style ceiling as you seem to think it is. Nobody can tell from that picture whether it's done properly or not.

Fair; our developments are in an area with pretty harsh weather but surprisingly stingy use of insulation on most designs from the mid-50s to the mid 70s. I'm curious what details they had then to generate R-20+ insulation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Fair; our developments are in an area with pretty harsh weather but surprisingly stingy use of insulation on most designs from the mid-50s to the mid 70s. I'm curious what details they had then to generate R-20+ insulation.

Fiberglass insulation nearly identical to what we use today was available in the 60s. They could have done a false ceiling or oversized rafters and exposed only a part of them with insulation above. You can get R22C into a x6 bay, but I'm not sure when that came out. Standard R22 will fit in a x8 bay. So throw up x12s and scab 1x or whatever as a nailing surface 6 3/4" inches from the top, install fiberglass kraft face and then put up the ceiling finish.

It's not hard. It's not some crazy plan nobody wouldn't have thought of. It's just not done because of lovely, cheap construction practices. For the most part people have no loving idea what they are buying when they buy a house.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 9, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Motronic posted:

For the most part people have no loving idea what they are buying when they buy a house.

Be like me, pay thousands of dollars to find out *exactly* what you are buying.

(And then don't let any of that information affect your ultimate purchasing decision one bit)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

For the most part people have no loving idea what they are buying when they buy a house.

*slams buzzer*

What is "a miserable pile of secrets"?!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Blindeye posted:

I'm in Seattle so not the harshest of climates Our lowest winter temps are usually in the 40s but we get the occasional snow and freeze so it's not as important as it might be for someone in the northern Midwest or east coast.

The house was built in 1955 so it rings true to the mid century modern aesthetic. Part of mid century designs and why they're so prevalent in California/warm climate areas is that they're not always great when it comes to energy efficiency with the open spaces, large windows, vaulted ceilings, flat roofs etc. Thankfully it has nice dual pane windows.

I'll have to get a good photo of where the previous owners installed a dryer vent through the ceiling. It shows the layers. The tongue & groove boards are 2 inches thick. On top of that is 2 inches of rigid foam insulation and another 4 inches of rigid foam insulation. I believe there's a layer of plywood and likely some kind of membrane (paper/something else) layers intermixed in there. The final external layer is epdm rubber roofing common on industrial low angle or flat roofs. I think the 2 inch layer of foam covers the entire roof corner to corner. There's a taller section covering the center 80% (basically everything but the eaves) which is where I believe the additional 4" of foam lives.

Here's the baby seal black office. I was nervous about such a dark color but I really like how it turned out. You really notice the ceilings and the greenery outside the second you walk in. It actually draws your eyes outside and makes the window clearer with fewer reflections.

As for the floors, they've been redone somewhat recently before we bought it but they chose dark brown which doesn't match the ceilings very well but that's a low level priority for way down the road when we eventually remodel the bathrooms and/or kitchen

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Verman I like it! As long as you get a lot of light in the house I think the slate color contrasts the wood nicely.

Motronic posted:

Fiberglass insulation nearly identical to what we use today was available in the 60s. They could have done a false ceiling or oversized rafters and exposed only a part of them with insulation above. You can get R22C into a x6 bay, but I'm not sure when that came out. Standard R22 will fit in a x8 bay. So throw up x12s and scab 1x or whatever as a nailing surface 6 3/4" inches from the top, install fiberglass kraft face and then put up the ceiling finish.

It's not hard. It's not some crazy plan nobody wouldn't have thought of. It's just not done because of lovely, cheap construction practices. For the most part people have no loving idea what they are buying when they buy a house.

That's the right way but when I did inspections I only saw that in recent/expensive homes. As you said, I am used to lovely, cheap practices. But then he’s in Seattle so moisture is his true enemy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Verman posted:

Here's the baby seal black office. I was nervous about such a dark color but I really like how it turned out. You really notice the ceilings and the greenery outside the second you walk in. It actually draws your eyes outside and makes the window clearer with fewer reflections.

Nice! What is your plan for light in that room? Are you going to put in some bright full spectrum lamps or?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm about to lose my poo poo. We have a fence with two gates around our backyard. We failed our safety inspection for our pool because they didn't fully self-close. So we had the company come out and fix them, in one case adding a third spring hinge to ensure it closed. Inspector comes back today, passes us but says we will fail the final inspection because one of the gates doesn't truly close, possibly because it's too low. So the wife and I go out there, open the gate as wide as it can and one of the hinge pins flies out and now the gate won't even latch closed. We go to the other gate, which worked perfectly, and the one of the hinge 'pins' (actually a screw) snaps in half, leaving part of it inside the tension spring.
'

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Verman posted:

I had my bedroom painted black when I was on 3rd shift, so when a breeze ruffled the curtains it wouldn't light up the entire room.

I kinda liked the look of that room; it really made the trim and doors pop. Sadly, I painted it a neutral gray to sell the place.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wish I could see the pre-staging pictures of my house. Now most rooms are light khaki, but here and there I see the colors that got painted over and they are wild. Orange, yellow, bright turquoise, and in particular the kitchen/dining room were dark maroon with the adjacent living room a deep forest green. Add that to the heavy curtains and blinds and you get an entirely different house than the one the realtor put up for sale.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Had a carpenter out to take down an old wood stove and chimney. Ended up costing 1300 USD for an hour of work. I didn't realize I could've probably done it myself.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Nice! What is your plan for light in that room? Are you going to put in some bright full spectrum lamps or?

That's still up in the air, same goes for our bedrooms. All of the bedroom light fixtures are wall mounted 80s spotlights (6 in a fixture). They really didn't put off much light and they were ugly as sin. The current power source is in the wall so easiest solution is to find a wall mounted fixture for the time being but I'm not a huge fan of what I'm finding. Getting a light fixture hanging from the ceiling will be tricky as I'll likely have to run some kind of conduit along the wood planks which will look less than ideal but a hanging drum or something would be my first choice. I'll probably use lamps mostly as I would prefer moody lighting over a bright overhead light anyway. I'm a graphic designer so when I'm working I actually prefer a slightly darker room. My goal is to have this be my work space and where my guitars live. A wood desk, guitars displayed on the wall, some artwork and plants etc, and I might build a book case/shelving unit to house vinyls/books etc. I'm not sure if I have room for a small loveseat or chair but that would be nice.

These are loosely what I've based my inspiration off of.

Alright, I feel like I've been clogging this thread, the next few days we'll be moving and unpacking.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Verman posted:

That's still up in the air, same goes for our bedrooms. All of the bedroom light fixtures are wall mounted 80s spotlights (6 in a fixture). They really didn't put off much light and they were ugly as sin. The current power source is in the wall so easiest solution is to find a wall mounted fixture for the time being but I'm not a huge fan of what I'm finding. Getting a light fixture hanging from the ceiling will be tricky as I'll likely have to run some kind of conduit along the wood planks which will look less than ideal but a hanging drum or something would be my first choice. I'll probably use lamps mostly as I would prefer moody lighting over a bright overhead light anyway. I'm a graphic designer so when I'm working I actually prefer a slightly darker room. My goal is to have this be my work space and where my guitars live. A wood desk, guitars displayed on the wall, some artwork and plants etc, and I might build a book case/shelving unit to house vinyls/books etc. I'm not sure if I have room for a small loveseat or chair but that would be nice.

These are loosely what I've based my inspiration off of.

Looks good! Want to come do all this to my house too? Because :negative: we're so bad at actually pulling the trigger on stuff.

quote:

Alright, I feel like I've been clogging this thread, the next few days we'll be moving and unpacking.

It's a tough just, but someone has to do it. :justpost:

Edit: Something seems to have changed with multi-quotes of the same post.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

DaveSauce posted:

Push to get license and insurance information. If he's sketchy, he's going to "forget" or procrastinate, and when you follow up he'll try to convince you you don't need it. Or you'll get something on Monday and everything will be fine. This is standard procedure, they should be more than happy to provide you this info upon request. You're not the first to ask, and they should not be offended unless they're trying to hide something.

Following up on this, he sent me his company's insurance and license information. Everything looks to be in order, other than they expire later this month. I can push for the updated copies before he starts in July, but for now I really don't have reason for concern other than general nervousness about it (and the fact that I can only find a single review for their work, despite them having been in business for twenty years, and it has one star)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 9, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Following up on this, he sent me his company's insurance and license information. Everything looks to be in order, other than they expire later this month. I can push for the updated copies before he starts in July, but for now I really don't have reason for concern other than general nervousness about it (and the fact that I can only find a single review for their work, despite them having been in business for twenty years, and it has one star)

Tell them in writing they will not be allowed to start work without updated licensing and insurance information. Should help force the issue one way or the other, and if they balk offer to sign the release in your contract in exchange for your full deposit refunded. Exchange one for the other. (Make a copy of that release, if they've put a mechanics lien on your house it will help you release it.)

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

New homeowner: Where the hell do I go to buy new, non-MDF furniture relatively quickly? Local furniture stores? National retailers (i.e. pottery barn/crate and barrel)? Costco? We tossed our decaying dressers when moving, but are now realizing that might have been a mistake, given the 4-5 month timeline on furniture we've seen with the few retailers we've browsed.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I have no idea if you have one near you, but we have an Anthropologie outlet in the Pittsburgh area and recently bought a chair there- they didn't deliver, but did allow delivery by third party services if you arranged for it yourself. It cost us 100 bucks (plus tip) to have someone drive it out here a few days later.

But yeah, local furniture stores that have stock in-store definitely work if you can arrange a delivery. You'll have to wait a few days to get your stuff instead of weeks. As far as which ones are good, I couldn't say. That Anthropologie outlet was pretty great, but it isn't cheap (even though it's an outlet).

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
We got our Article bed in about 10 days, I think. But yeah I'd go with local furniture stores if you could. My wife bought some pieces from a local place a few years ago and we still love them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Check out estate sales by you, they can have amazing deals on really nice furniture.

I wish the one we went to last week occurred after we close and had measurements, there was some great furniture there I would've bought up immediately.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Work finally started on the deck :toot:

Here today:

Gone tomorrow:

Mostly happy to see all that garbage overgrown shrubbery gone that had no business being there, but also the rotting deck.

also lmao the posts were just stuck in the ground. At least current code requires concrete footings... no idea if it did in 1999, but I literally watched one of the workers just pull them out of the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Work finally started on the deck :toot:

also lmao the posts were just stuck in the ground. At least current code requires concrete footings... no idea if it did in 1999, but I literally watched one of the workers just pull them out of the ground.

They did. :toot: