Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cicero posted:

Any general recommendations for carriers? We're getting a Series 6 for my wife and an SE for our nine year old son (want him to have a way to communicate with us and also potentially track him places like amusement parks, but without a full rear end phone that can be lost or more distracting). We're moving back from Germany to the states soon, by default I would probably go with Cricket or Mint or some other cheap-ish MVNO, but I understand options are more limited if you're gonna have an Apple Watch.

T-Mobile is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Thanks for the rec, also, does anyone know if there any prepaid options available? Or does it have to be postpaid?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
T-Mobile has “Metro” which is pre-paid, but I couldn’t tell you basically anything else about it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

conventional wisdom seems to be that you can't activate an apple watch on prepaid, so your only options for that are the expensive at&t/verizon/t-mobile/sprint post-paid plans. Note that you can still call 911 using the watch without it being activated

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Prepaids are explicitly unsupported on Apple Watch, so your only choices are the big 4 post-paids.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there any good way to get my watch to update its knowledge about my calendar? Mine changes a lot during the day, and I can't really trust what it tells me because it can sometimes be hours out of date.

(I recognize that calendar sync is apparently a hard problem, and have in the past resorted to hard copies updated by my admin every time there was a change, like some boomer printing their email, but I'm hoping The Apple Experience can be better here.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fourwood posted:

T-Mobile has “Metro” which is pre-paid, but I couldn’t tell you basically anything else about it.

I've been with Metro for a bunch of years and never seen any compelling argument to leave. We even get the T-Mobile tuesdays thing now!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Subjunctive posted:

Is there any good way to get my watch to update its knowledge about my calendar? Mine changes a lot during the day, and I can't really trust what it tells me because it can sometimes be hours out of date.

(I recognize that calendar sync is apparently a hard problem, and have in the past resorted to hard copies updated by my admin every time there was a change, like some boomer printing their email, but I'm hoping The Apple Experience can be better here.)

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're talking about two different problems. 1. Your watch getting updated calendar information and 2. Your email/calendar system working correctly.

As for the watch itself... assuming you're using the built in calendar app, it should be reflecting whatever you see on calendar.app on your phone (and which ever calendars you have set to show up on the watch). If it's a 3rd party app......good luck. 3rd party apps just always seem to have random issues keeping things in sync. I know my sports and weather apps are always fickle.

And for your email/calendar system, ask your friendly IT person at work. That stuff shouldn't really be a hard problem in the year 2021.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you be more specific? It sounds like you're talking about two different problems. 1. Your watch getting updated calendar information and 2. Your email/calendar system working correctly.

Sorry, my calendar system works correctly and at least Google Calendar seems to be up to date when I check it. I don't use Calendar.app other than to configure it so I could see stuff on my watch, but I can check if it's syncing properly as a next step, thank you.

(When I was using Android and Exchange my calendar system didn't work well, but it occurs to me that it's been a decade since then, sheesh.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 9, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And here I'm like a loving idiot trying to get to the month view of the calendar app on the watch. All posts on the web talk about force pressing it to call up the change view menu. So I figured long press ought to do, and it didn't. Took me a while to figure out I have to go to loving settings for that, to pick anything other than the default Today view. Apple, you dipshits, if you ax features, make sure poo poo still works.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Xfinity Mobile is a pretty solid deal if you get Xfinity internet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, my calendar system works correctly and at least Google Calendar seems to be up to date when I check it. I don't use Calendar.app other than to configure it so I could see stuff on my watch, but I can check if it's syncing properly as a next step, thank you.

(When I was using Android and Exchange my calendar system didn't work well, but it occurs to me that it's been a decade since then, sheesh.)
Just to be clear, the system is on Google Calendar, and you're syncing with the default Calendar app and viewing it on the watch through there?

If so yeah the watch Calendar app should stay in sync fine with the phone app...while syncing to the Google Calendar might be a bit delayed since afaik it doesn't do push updates, at least through the normal account setup. I vaguely recall they support push if set up as an Exchange account? If fetching is all you can do, the quickest period is every 15 minutes.

An alternative would be a third party app that supports Google push updates and has a watch app...no clue what that would be. Looks like Fantastical does push, although they moved to a subscription pricing model that's questionable ($40/year or $5/month), might be worth it to you though. It has a free feature set so maybe try it out and see if you run into the limits for your use.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I finally added cellular service to my S3. Not having to take my whole rear end phone with me when I go to 7-Eleven is going to be great

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

im on the net me boys posted:

I finally added cellular service to my S3. Not having to take my whole rear end phone with me when I go to 7-Eleven is going to be great
I might spring for this on my next watch, but drat I wish it didn’t cost such a premium. ~$100 on the watch and then like $120/yr for letting it use the cell phone plan I already have. :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fourwood posted:

I might spring for this on my next watch, but drat I wish it didn’t cost such a premium. ~$100 on the watch and then like $120/yr for letting it use the cell phone plan I already have. :sigh:

+ $4.75/month “administration fee” if you’re on ATT :v:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

+ $4.75/month “administration fee” if you’re on ATT :v:

I’m on AT&T and they only charged me $10/mo for it on top of what I already have

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m on AT&T and they only charged me $10/mo for it on top of what I already have

Check your fees at the bottom of your bill.

e: Here’s the watch portion from my bill:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 12, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Check your fees at the bottom of your bill.

when it comes in I swear to god if those bastards are charging me more than was quoted I will actually go to T Mobile this time

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They will. Almost 50% more!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

when it comes in I swear to god if those bastards are charging me more than was quoted I will actually go to T Mobile this time

That's the number one reason I moved over to T-Mobile.

I'm on the One Plus plan, so I know it will always be $70 every month. I think I got a $5 discount because I pointed at a checking account that I only use for auto-pay stuff.

When I had an LTE watch, it was a flat $10/mo on top of my usual cost. All the "fees" and taxes are folding into the $10 price.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone’s battery turned to poo poo since the latest update? It’s 9:37pm and I’m down to 17% on a series 6.

The last couple of days I’ve tapped out well before bedtime and I assumed it wasn’t fully charging, but nope this time I verified it was at 100% 12 hours ago.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Has anyone’s battery turned to poo poo since the latest update? It’s 9:37pm and I’m down to 17% on a series 6.

The last couple of days I’ve tapped out well before bedtime and I assumed it wasn’t fully charging, but nope this time I verified it was at 100% 12 hours ago.

Obvious question but have you tried rebooting it? It’s probably a stuck application.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Obvious question but have you tried rebooting it? It’s probably a stuck application.

I have not, but it has shut down because of no battery. However, just in case it only entered hibernation I will manually reboot it and see what happens.

It was so sudden it probably isn’t a hardware problem. I was getting a day and half and sudden it’s 3/4th a day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My S4's battery has been poo poo for a bit. Looking forward to replacing it this fall. (The battery health says it's fine, but I've been hitting red pretty frequently.)

E: 85% after however long it's been since I got it. Not great.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 13, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

My S4's battery has been poo poo for a bit. Looking forward to replacing it this fall. (The battery health says it's fine, but I've been hitting red pretty frequently.)

E: 85% after however long it's been since I got it. Not great.

When did you get it? I have a launch Series 4 (so going on 3 years old) and it's at 80%. Seems like normal wear and tear on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got it after launch, but before the 5 dropped, so a bit newer than yours but not much

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Neat, I was wondering if the watch had that info. Anecdotally I felt like mine has been lower lately. Checking the health thing mine is at 86%. S5, about 20 months old now. I have AppleCare+ on it so plan to replace it for some dings towards the end anyway, will look forward to a new battery as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Picked up SE 44mm at Costco last month for $369 Canadian, just GPS. Love it so far, battery life is stellar and I'm getting a lot more out of it than I thought I would. One big complaint though, what the gently caress is Spotify doing with the offline music sync stuff? I'm getting really pissed and might switch to Apple Music if they keep screwing around with the worlds slowest staggered rollout of this feature. I just want to listen to tunes while I run and not need my phone with me. They introduced this feature in May and still haven't widely enabled it server-side.

I've got Watch to 5K for running and I'm on the lookout for other essential apps but so far so good. I was really worried about the battery life but I end most days well above 70%. Filling rings every day!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Spotify hasn’t exactly been known for making reliable software for its service

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There was a period a few years back where a Spotify update broke playlists, I'm not too surprised they can't figure out a smart watch sync.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Picked up SE 44mm at Costco last month for $369 Canadian, just GPS. Love it so far, battery life is stellar and I'm getting a lot more out of it than I thought I would. One big complaint though, what the gently caress is Spotify doing with the offline music sync stuff? I'm getting really pissed and might switch to Apple Music if they keep screwing around with the worlds slowest staggered rollout of this feature. I just want to listen to tunes while I run and not need my phone with me. They introduced this feature in May and still haven't widely enabled it server-side.

I've got Watch to 5K for running and I'm on the lookout for other essential apps but so far so good. I was really worried about the battery life but I end most days well above 70%. Filling rings every day!

The SE is fantastic and I’m 100% happy with the upgrade from my 3. It really is great for the price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Amazon/Target/Walmart/Best Buy all have the Series 6 on sale for $70 off if anyone is in the market for an upgrade.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Spotify's apple watch app sucks poo poo. I have the cellular model and good service and it arbitrarily just doesn't work when i want to stream without my phone. Supposedly there's a multiple month rollout of the "offline downloads" so if you don't have it yet you'll get it sometime in 2021

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Spotify's apple watch app sucks poo poo. I have the cellular model and good service and it arbitrarily just doesn't work when i want to stream without my phone. Supposedly there's a multiple month rollout of the "offline downloads" so if you don't have it yet you'll get it sometime in 2021

Yeah I just finished a support chat with someone there and they said "its at 1% but increasing each week". I'm not waiting 3+ months just to get offline music so I'm switching to Apple Music. For nearly the family premium price I can basically get Apple One for the house anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to update that rebooting didn’t fix my S6 battery issue where it would drain to 0% in about 3 hours. Unpairing and pairing did fix it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can anyone with a legit apple Braided Solo Loop comment on if it loosens/expands over time? I bought a knock-off on Amazon and after about 3 weeks it's expanded enough that the watch is flopping around quite a bit. I'm thinking i'm going to switch to the sport loop unless I hear the Apple's ones are much better quality (I would hope so, given the price difference!).

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

frogbs posted:

Can anyone with a legit apple Braided Solo Loop comment on if it loosens/expands over time? I bought a knock-off on Amazon and after about 3 weeks it's expanded enough that the watch is flopping around quite a bit. I'm thinking i'm going to switch to the sport loop unless I hear the Apple's ones are much better quality (I would hope so, given the price difference!).
I've got two braided solo loops, one of which I've had since October. It has loosened a little bit over time, but not to the point that it's sliding all over the place and definitely not after only three weeks.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah they’re solid. Not 100 bucks solid but certainly not loosening after a couple weeks. If anything, if that should happen I bet Apple is more than happy to just replace it if it happens within a year-ish.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Zwille posted:

Yeah they’re solid. Not 100 bucks solid but certainly not loosening after a couple weeks. If anything, if that should happen I bet Apple is more than happy to just replace it if it happens within a year-ish.

CheshireCat posted:

I've got two braided solo loops, one of which I've had since October. It has loosened a little bit over time, but not to the point that it's sliding all over the place and definitely not after only three weeks.

Thanks for the feedback! I think i'm just going to go with another Sport Loop instead of the Braided. After reading threads on Reddit, it seems the braided ones do stretch pretty consistently. For $100 I don't think it's worth it. Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/kdk17q/braided_solo_loop_owners_how_much_did_your_band/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I can’t seem to find a specific pointed answer but maybe it’s because the answer I’m looking for is implied in what everything is saying.

I’m looking to pair two Apple Watches to a single account. I have an Apple Watch that I guard with my life and then I’d like to buy a used SE somewhere and only use it for Fitness+ workouts. However, I’d ideally also be able to have it all be updated all the same. As in, if I work out with the SE on and do whatever for an hour, then go to work with Watch 1 on, it shows that same info as if it’s the same watch, working towards the same ring.

Apple added the ability to sync multiple Watches to a single iPhone in 9.3. Is this the functionality I’m looking for that would obviously cover the above scenario?