Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All I ever get are texts about refunds from the Bureau of Vehicles and fake walmart delivery notices.

Lately I've been getting "we sent you the first bitcoin" emails, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i watched this and it was boring disney type stuff, apparently the source material comic is really hardcore so i guess it’s capitalism working as intended bringing everything down to the lowest common denominator

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have yet to met a single person that doesn't have some horror story of how lovely their cell phone company is. Why would anyone trust them with anything more than they have to?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Literally the only thing that generates "acceptable" return rates is banking.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They give you 4% interest in your first $3000 deposit.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shwqa posted:

I have yet to met a single person that doesn't have some horror story of how lovely their cell phone company is. Why would anyone trust them with anything more than they have to?

I have Verizon and I'll be honest I basically forget they exist 99% of the time which is the nicest thing I can say about a telecom

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that’s how I feel about Sprint. I used to have AT&T but there are three dead spots within a quarter mile of my house and they kept jacking up the price so I bounced and never really think about it

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have sprint. When I made my account I used a plan that lets me pay off my phone over 2 year at the cost of like $20 a month. Otherwise I had to pay like $500. When my phone was just about to be paid off they switched me to paying off the phone to renting the phone. It cost the exact same amount and I didn't noticed for a few months. I had to tell them I want to pay off the phone and pay less overall by calling a representative who tried to upsell me. No you can't do that via any of their apps or website.

Sure it was only like $80 in the end, but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. It sure as hell didn't make me want to use more of their services.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have Verizon and our house is a dead zone. I literally can’t use my phone for anything if the wifi or power goes out

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sprint has been part of Tmobile for like, a year now?

Had Sprint for years, gently caress them.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
every telecom company is poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Especially in Canada. There was a CBC news story about a guy who recorded all his calls with Bell (?) and he was promised payment plans that didn't exist three times. The company still tried the "confused employee" excuse, but it was pretty clear that they encourage straight up lying to the customer with the intention of loving them over in the end.

Also the Telecoms flexed on our former PM when he tried to bring even a semblance of competition in and told him to gently caress off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zamujasa posted:

every telecom company is poo poo

Spectrum keeps sending me emails to use their cell phone service and like, when I had their cable package my On Demand just didn't work. They sent a tech out who replaced the box and did the activation signal but it still wouldn't go, he calls them up "hey this still doesn't work can I go up a tech support level?" And the lady hung up on him

Calling back the next person said "oh well if that didn't fix it it just won't work and there's nothing we can do"

So the tech left and then I returned their tv poo poo and went to internet only

But if they can't guarantee their tv service will work why would I get on their cell phone plan?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
As someone who is currently sorta trying to buy a house, these are both cathartic (wow, at least I'm not living there) and scary (our current bubble could just keep growing to Vancouver levels!). Keep posting the updates! I appreciate them.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
detached housing is satanic

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i was buying a few groceries at walmart the other day and as I'm bagging my own groceries the cashier was going hard loving sell on trying to get me to sign up for some credit card even though the first thing I said when she brought it up was "I already have an awesome cash back card".

just the entire loving time mumbling through her pitch about how i'll get $15 back instantly.

it's pathetic and I hate that capitalism has reduced my interactions with a cashier to this instead of us being able to bullshit about the weather or something.

i know on the 'crimes of capitalism' scale it's barely a blip but it's little things like this that wear us all down. as annoyed as i was i'm sure the cashier absolutely hates it more.

i always liked that this walmart isn't trash like most of them (clean, good produce, etc) but i think i'll start going to the more expensive grocery store to avoid that awkward stuff (not that they don't try to upsell me on poo poo at loblaws but at least the upseller is a separate dude i can just breeze by)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I argue with the gas station clerks that try to get me to sign up for their discount cards when I'm trying to buy cigarettes. Cigarettes do not receive a discount with any of their cards. Like, motherfucker, I'm not giving your company my phone number, email and address so they can send me coupons for roller hot dogs and fountain drinks and sell my information to another corp so they can do the same.

I use my exwifes' number for everything like that anyhow. Let her deal with the junk mail.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I argue with the gas station clerks that try to get me to sign up for their discount cards when I'm trying to buy cigarettes. Cigarettes do not receive a discount with any of their cards. Like, motherfucker, I'm not giving your company my phone number, email and address so they can send me coupons for roller hot dogs and fountain drinks and sell my information to another corp so they can do the same.

I use my exwifes' number for everything like that anyhow. Let her deal with the junk mail.

If it's speedway you don't need to give the card any information until you go to redeem points and the register jockey gets bitched at if their scan rate is below a certain rate. It doesn't even matter if you immediately throw the card out immediately after they scan it, just take the card.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, it's not like they're asking you because they want to.

It's literally bullshit they've been told to do, or else.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's pointless to take the card for cigarettes, there are never discounts associated with cigarettes, that's largely a price fixed market in this state. I go to gas stations that charge about 7 cents more than state minimum for a carton.

I tell them to scan their own cards if they want the purchase points. Anything I have to give my number or other info up for to redeem, no. Yeah, I could give fakes or the exwifes' or whatever, but it's a matter of principle when the argument starts. gently caress them for trying to buy my information with 25¢ off a fountain drink.

The fact that there are policies that force employees to meet quotas on this bullshit makes me want to call and yell at Kroger for a while. Then Kum&Go.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I tell them to scan their own cards if they want the purchase points. Anything I have to give my number or other info up for to redeem, no. Yeah, I could give fakes or the exwifes' or whatever, but it's a matter of principle when the argument starts. gently caress them for trying to buy my information with 25¢ off a fountain drink.

This will get you fired and sued for theft.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hollandia posted:

As someone who is currently sorta trying to buy a house, these are both cathartic (wow, at least I'm not living there) and scary (our current bubble could just keep growing to Vancouver levels!). Keep posting the updates! I appreciate them.

Vancouver is special becaus a lot of wealthy Hong Kong capitalists are fleeing there to escape the imminent communist takeover.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The person you're arguing with isn't the person who's buying your information with coupons

You and the cashier have a common enemy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I realize the clerk isn't the enemy. I just like to be left alone on that bullshit.

Len posted:

This will get you fired and sued for theft.

Oh gently caress that. I'd rather dig ditches.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I realize the clerk isn't the enemy. I just like to be left alone on that bullshit.

Oh gently caress that. I'd rather dig ditches.

When I worked at speedway you had to save every receipt. Because if they thought you used your speedway card too much on one shift you had to be able to prove it was all your transactions

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They moved around store managers at one point and I went from being able to get free hot water for my self provided tea bags to being told if I didn't pay 25 cents I would get fired

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to avoid Speedway in the future.

My last retail counter job was in an adult store. They always had us push extras like batteries, lube, etc, but it wasn't like they'd fire us over it, they didn't want anyone under their employ to get hit with pandering charges (in the South, specifically). Just offer the convenience of overpriced stuff for your new vibrator so you don't have to hit walmart on the way home.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

BonHair posted:

I mean, it depends on your degree. If you take something that will get replaced by computers in ten years like law, you end up conservative. If you go STEM it's libertarianism. Social sciences, especially polsci or economics turns you into a liberal. Humanities is where you get your communism.

You say this, but every mathematics major ive met has been a hardcore communist

edit: this is what happens when I dont reload a tab for ages

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Len posted:

When I worked at speedway you had to save every receipt. Because if they thought you used your speedway card too much on one shift you had to be able to prove it was all your transactions

about 25 years ago I'd go pick my gf up from whatever high end boutique clothing store she was working at in the mall. At the end of every shift the manager had to walk you from the counter to the store entrance to make sure the employee didn't steal on the way out. It was incredible.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every logician i know is the most extreme version of their political whatever possible. posadists, juche, turbo-lanyards, turbofascists, seasteaders, etc. but very variegated wrt actual content

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Blockade posted:

You say this, but every mathematics major ive met has been a hardcore communist

edit: this is what happens when I dont reload a tab for ages

math of the type done by actual mathematicians is a deeply creative and non-automatable type of labor so this checks out

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
There is a hidden number between 3 and 4.

Mathematicians don't want you to know this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gorson posted:

about 25 years ago I'd go pick my gf up from whatever high end boutique clothing store she was working at in the mall. At the end of every shift the manager had to walk you from the counter to the store entrance to make sure the employee didn't steal on the way out. It was incredible.

I think Sephora only lets you have see through purses? Going back to Speedway you couldn't wear cargo pants, the cited reason from management was a fear of theft

They also paid someone to watch the cameras to make sure you paid for fountain drinks. I saw more than one person fired for stealing fountain drinks or roller grill items

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

They also paid someone to watch the cameras to make sure you paid for fountain drinks. I saw more than one person fired for stealing fountain drinks or roller grill items

Jesus loving Christ, I worked at an arcade in high school, and was told by the owner I could eat whatever the gently caress I wanted and drink all the fountain drinks I wanted as long as I was working, because the marginal cost of a fountain drink is literally loving nothing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's not that nobody wants to work, it's that nobody wants to work for minimum wage where they're treated like a thief.

If you don't trust your employees to the point you've put them in a panopticon there's a problem.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Len posted:

I think Sephora only lets you have see through purses? Going back to Speedway you couldn't wear cargo pants, the cited reason from management was a fear of theft

Don't even think about buying something on company time. It's a fireable offense for you and the cashier.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Len posted:

If you don't trust your employees to the point you've put them in a panopticon there's a problem.

Yeah. But I have a feeling it's less about loss prevention and more about public humiliation to assert dominance

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I once got fired from a produce department for eating a banana that was marked for disposal. One banana out of a ln actual ton

"len it's our job to ensure that makes it to the compost company"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah. But I have a feeling it's less about loss prevention and more about public humiliation to assert dominance

Depends on who's doing it tbh, like if it's a big chain and the rules come down from corporate it's probably because some MBA middle-management gently caress thought he could score points with the board by showing how much money they're losing from "employee-related theft" or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Accretionist posted:

There is a hidden number between 3 and 4.

Mathematicians don't want you to know this.

there are more numbers between 3 and 4 than atoms in the universe