Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cygni posted:

It seems to mostly be a Path of Exile problem I think. I replaced the rear thermal pads today, and while it absolutely seems to be moving heat to the backplate faster... the backplate can only do so much. With X1 running with PoE, I watched the temps climb until the backplate was straight up too hot to touch (likely 80C+), and then the card expectedly started thermal throttling. Maxing the fans does keep it within spec it seems though, guess I'll just have to live with the noise.

Weird that an old game like PoE (albeit at 1440p/144hz) seems to be the most intense utilization of a 3090 that I've found yet, ha. I'm also gonna try swapping to the Vulkan renderer and see if that helps the temps at all.

Another poster just mentioned this, but turn on VSync or a custom frame limit.

It could just be rendering entirely Too Many Frames. It being an older game, it may not have a frame limit by default because the devs didn't think someone would be able to render fast enough to fry their hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bloodysabbath posted:

FWIW, I followed cryptoathome’s YouTube videos after buying the pads and tools recommended by him, and my 3090 FEs dropped from 108 to 90-94 VRAM temp while they run NiceHash at high. At lower levels and in games, the number plummets even further.

It’s scary to think about and you really should not have to DIY at this price (MSRP or aftermarket) but the nVidia pads really are trash, and it’s actually a perfect fix. If I can do it, anyone can. Just watch the video twice before then leave it running when doing the surgery.

Most games right now dont stress the 3090 enough to get up to the really bad temps. As the gpus age out of their warranty and the newer games fully utilize the 3090 its going to get worse. Fun times ahead for nvidia

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Soul Glo posted:

Another poster just mentioned this, but turn on VSync or a custom frame limit.

It could just be rendering entirely Too Many Frames. It being an older game, it may not have a frame limit by default because the devs didn't think someone would be able to render fast enough to fry their hardware.

I have it limited to 141fps in the nvidia drivers, and the framerate counter seems to reflect that. I do have literally every single setting maxed too, so i dunno that might be doing it.

I am gonna goof with the ingame settings and see if there is a runaway thread or something, even if the end framerate seems correct.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I find it interesting that reading this thread makes me feel a bit of an urge to upgrade my GPU even thought I don't need to, and got really lucky with my timing of buying a card last year. I objectively don't need a card, but reading this thread regularly makes me want a card, just a little.

If I feel that, I wonder how many people out there have a stronger urge despite not really needing a card and that is also driving up demand.

FOMO (fear of missing out) is definitely a thing. If you have a reasonable GPU that gets the job done on gaming, then you really have no practical reason to upgrade - there aren't very many new games taking full advantage of the current gen AMD and Nvidia gpus right now. You should be able to weather this storm unless your graphics card breaks. But if you really want one as an enthusiast and can budget for it IF you manage to get one at a reasonable non-scalped price, go for it.

For me I actually need the drat thing to do more efficient professional animation work from home.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 9, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Spacedad posted:

FOMO (fear of missing out) is definitely a thing. If you have a reasonable GPU that gets the job done on gaming, then you really have no practical reason to upgrade - there aren't very many new games taking full advantage of the current gen AMD and Nvidia gpus right now. You should be able to weather this storm unless your graphics card breaks. But if you really want one as an enthusiast and can budget for it IF you manage to get one at a reasonable non-scalped price, go for it.

For me I actually need the drat thing to do more efficient professional animation work from home.

I got two. I haven't booted my desktop in like a month or two. I should maybe find a game to play, do you think Raid Shadow Legend would run well?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
If you duct tape them together, you might be able to crack into 1fps on Raid.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lurikeenrock posted:

Most games right now dont stress the 3090 enough to get up to the really bad temps. As the gpus age out of their warranty and the newer games fully utilize the 3090 its going to get worse. Fun times ahead for nvidia

As much as I love the FE design over the generic AIBs, it is nice that the AIB card I got barely hits above 90 C on the VRAM even on full load

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know that I'm probably okay with a 5700 XT but it kills me to know that raytracing is just not available to me, even if it's not a big deal in most games and I'm not currently interested in any particular AAA games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For what it's worth I booted up Control after installing the 2060 Super I got and turned on ray tracing and went yeah that's nice looking lighting and turned it back off again. I think the bigger thing having used it for a day now with the 20 series up Nvidia cards is DLSS, and with a 5700 you're still getting a wider use equivalent of that with FSR (assuming AMD don't completely poo poo the bed with it like Nvidia did with their first attempt).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

PoE doesn't usually push any modern GPU to 100% very often, it usually is way more stressful on your CPU, the fact that this is happening to you is somewhat strange. The only time I noticed ultra high GPU usage in PoE was when I had vsync disabled on the menu screen and it would run at way too high of framerate.

PoE also runs multiplicatively worse at high framerates. You should at least give it an honest try at 60hz or even 120hz. Keep an eye on the CPU during each of those scenarios. I like high FPS gaming as well but the game doesn't feel appreciably worse at 60hz, and I'm level 98 this league so I take it pretty serious.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I upgraded from a 4490k ---> 5600x and a GTX 970 ----> 3080 and along with NVMe drives everything was a pretty massive upgrade for me. I enjoyed a bunch of games like Cyberpunk, Witcher, Control, and Total War games at max or near max setting for 1440p, but in all honesty i've been using my PS5 for games a lot more hours wise. The Dualsense controller is just really nice to hold and Sony had a nice library of exclusives that aren't really available for PC.

Ray tracing is pretty cool where it's available but just having the overall loading speeds and big FPS boosts were my main reasons for moving up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Having a more capable GPU has also gotten me to pull out the Steam Link I've had gathering dust for a while and move the router so I can actually use it a bit more reliably.

infraboy posted:

Sony had a nice library of exclusives that aren't really available for PC.
Though this may be changing in time.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
When did EVGA open up the 3080ti Step-Up queue for Elite members? Was it at the same time as the notification queue on the 3rd or the next day?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
same as elite notify

i think

it crashed idk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: gently caress nvidia. Wish AMD got their heads out their asses.

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah gently caress nvidia, now where can i buy it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I guess it's kind of cool that the 3070 ti has the same-ish cooler as the 3080, my one complaint about the 3070 FE is that the backplate is really boring

change my name fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 9, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lurikeenrock posted:

yeah gently caress nvidia, now where can i buy it?

Is this meant to be a diss?

Like, if it was - you can be pissed at the lovely practices of a company even though you buy their products. They should do better.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

and yet you participate in Nvidia. Curious

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Speaking of availability, wonder when that AIB vendors will get their brains in gear - there’s a bunch of 6700 sat on scan and ocuk not selling at approx £800.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

get ya pre built https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-rs-gaming-desktop---10th-gen-intel-core-i9-10900k---geforce-rtx-3080.product.100719183.html

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: gently caress nvidia. Wish AMD got their heads out their asses.

Mean like how the 6900 ha super awesome raster? its just ray tracing they are a gen behind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah AMD GPUs are already good. The problem is that they're in even shorter supply than NVidia's cards, which means they can't exert any price pressure/competition

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They're also way overpriced, even more so than their better performing Nvidia counterparts.

I'd absolutely take a 6800XT but not for 3090 prices.

But they're still selling out so I guess I'm the fool

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Costco's markup is supposedly hard-capped at 14%, which means they paid $2580 for that, which is kinda a lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The argument Steve makes against Linus there is mindblowingly dumb - manufacturers have somewhat accurately predicted what their GPUs would actually be worth in the past, therefore raising MSRPs will raise current prices! Absolutely braindead statement. Regardless, I honestly much prefer to see AMD and Nvidia as well as AIBs raising prices to capture the current value of GPUs. I'd way, way rather see money going to companies that actually do research into producing better GPUs in the future than just going to people who are only providing the "service" of capturing the difference between MSRP and current value. If they'd done so aggressively early on they'd have taken a huge PR hit, sure, but the GPUs would still be selling for the same price on the street, and as consumers we'd at least get some minor benefit out of it in the long term. Especially with Intel trying to break into the market and the new console generation, I don't really see any danger that AMD and Nvidia could form a cartel and try to keep prices elevated once actual values drop. His summary at the end of the review really sums up the stupidity, talking about GPUs as if people are buying them at launch MSRP. They loving aren't, even the pre-scalping prices on the AIB cards that form the majority of available products have been elevated for a long time now, stop acting like it's reasonable to compare things to the launch FE pricing of the 3080 and 3070 just because a few of them have trickled into Best Buy at that price.

That said, the 3070 Ti is not a bad value. It's actually very much the card I wish Nvidia would have launched/been able to launch instead of the 3070 - a bit less memory bandwidth bound, a bit more forward looking (VRAM aside, at 1440p that's never going to be a meaningful problem in the actual lifespan of the GPU). Only real downside is the high power target, which does make it a significantly worse GPU for people looking to do compact builds. At AIB MSRP the price bump is a bit high, but that's literally always the case for GPUs > $400 or so that aren't the 3080. In terms of street value and actually buying a GPU... you're still going to buy whatever you can get if you can stomach the price, the MSRP:performance value the reviewers are talking about means absolutely nothing. It'd be a much more useful service to consumers right now to have a page tracking the actual street price of GPUs and comparing that to performance.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Spacedad posted:

I've had a 3080/3090 in my rig since October and I've spent the majority of my gaming hours during that period on a very old, graphically unsophisticated game: Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Funny how that works out. In hindsight, I would have been fine all this time if I had to stick to my old 2070 Super.

mA fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 9, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

K8.0 posted:

I honestly much prefer to see AMD and Nvidia as well as AIBs raising prices to capture the current value of GPUs.

I love to support companies jacking up their prices.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The biggest flaw I see with the 3070 Ti is that it uses nearly as much power as a 3080. I think this whole generation has been a regression in energy efficiency and the 3070 Ti is one of the worst by that metric. That power means heat the case has to exhaust.

The 1070 Ti was a 180W card.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Ugh, my country will have a couple of 3070Tis at MSRP (640€) but I doubt I'll honestly luck it out without botting. Thing is Nvidia says it requires a 750W PSU and I only have a Corsair Bronze rated 650W which is going to further sting on my budget if I need to upgrade. Not like I'll luck out. On the other hand this is probably the last chance this year to get a MSRP GPU apart from AMD drops so might as well give it a shot.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dessel posted:

Ugh, my country will have a couple of 3070Tis at MSRP (640€) but I doubt I'll honestly luck without botting. Thing is Nvidia says it requires a 750W PSU and I only have a Corsair Bronze rated 650W which is going to further sting on my budget if I need to upgrade. Not like I'll luck out. On the other hand this is probably the last chance this year to get a MSRP GPU apart from AMD drops so might as well give it a shot.

650 watts should be alright? I'm running a 3070 on a 550W gold PSU, so I'm assuming the 70 extra watts shouldn't be a problem for 650W unit.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

The biggest flaw I see with the 3070 Ti is that it uses nearly as much power as a 3080. I think this whole generation has been a regression in energy efficiency and the 3070 Ti is one of the worst by that metric. That power means heat the case has to exhaust.

The 1070 Ti was a 180W card.

Yeah, power consumption of this generation is really disappointing and the main reason I'm not interested in getting any of the cards. Hopefully the 40xx series will be way better on that front.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Sininu posted:

Yeah, power consumption of this generation is really disappointing and the main reason I'm not interested in getting any of the cards. Hopefully the 40xx series will be way better on that front.

Yeah 2023/4 is going to be better

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watching the 3070Ti reviews and some of these benchmarks are comically terrible, $100 more MSRP for in most cases 5-10 more FPS is barely an upgrade when the difference isn't even crossing one of the major refresh rate marks where you could at least make an argument for it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
This thread made me randomly check out a local store, and they apparently had an ASUS TUF 3060 available for preorder, which seemed to imply it was stock.

drat thing costs about the same as the 3080 equivalent did in October.

I'm just gonna play FFXIV and retro games for the next three years.

Man I hope someone in the European Union will take an extra look at how this price-jacking stuff has gone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

njsykora posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress was that - anything else after was a blur of words.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kind of an older article but earlier I had asked about bottlenecking due to and pairing a 7700 with a 3070 and I found this article where the reviewer tested a 3070 with a 10900k and a 7700k. Thought it was interesting:

Sorry in advance for the scales being different.

At 1080p the difference is very substantial:

But at 1440p it narrows down a bit for average FPS even though there is still a large gap in 1% lows:

Some games like doom eternal don't show much of a difference at all, but looks like in general at 1440p like I'll be running a 7700k bottleneck cuts performance of a 3070 by about 15-20% avg FPS and 22-25% for 1% lows.

So the 3070 would be about a 82% increase in FPS vs my current 1060 instead of a 110% increase. I can live with that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

njsykora posted:

We've already seen what 9 months of low MSRPs on the 3070 FE and 3080 FE did to contain prices : absolutely nothing. If you prefer scalpers having that money over Nvidia... ok then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

That said, the 3070 Ti is not a bad value. It's actually very much the card I wish Nvidia would have launched/been able to launch instead of the 3070 - a bit less memory bandwidth bound, a bit more forward looking (VRAM aside, at 1440p that's never going to be a meaningful problem in the actual lifespan of the GPU). Only real downside is the high power target, which does make it a significantly worse GPU for people looking to do compact builds. At AIB MSRP the price bump is a bit high, but that's literally always the case for GPUs > $400 or so that aren't the 3080. In terms of street value and actually buying a GPU... you're still going to buy whatever you can get if you can stomach the price, the MSRP:performance value the reviewers are talking about means absolutely nothing. It'd be a much more useful service to consumers right now to have a page tracking the actual street price of GPUs and comparing that to performance.

The 3070ti is a poo poo product that would be laughed into irrelevance in any normal market. It's not as big of a joke as the 3080ti (which is just offensively bad), but it's still bad. As a card that actually sits between two other viable cards this time (unlike the 3080ti which sits behind the non-gaming-oriented 3090), it being so much closer to the card beneath it than the card above it on benchmarks is actually a pretty big problem from a value standpoint. The 3070ti offers no real value whatsoever over the 3070, while the 3080 is still massively better. This card should've been a $50 step-up at best.

And your desire to abandon MSRP as a comparison point makes no sense. There are still a lot of people buying these things at MSRP. I know I'm never going to buy a card for more than ~10 to 20% above MSRP, and there are a lot of people in my position entering step-up queues, newegg shuffles, waiting for best buy drops, etc.