Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do cop pilots get qualified immunity from federal aviation regulations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
“Unforeseen to local law enforcement and due to the extremely dry conditions, dust kicked up in the area,” the task force said on Facebook. “As soon as helicopter staff saw what was happening, they immediately left the area to ensure no further issues would be caused. This was not an intentional act to cause discomfort or intended as a dispersal mechanism.”

Uh huh. Sure, that's what happened.

Enbridge spokesperson Michael Barnes said the company had nothing to do with the helicopter and decried trespassing. “How is that any different than what took place at our nation’s capital?” he asked, comparing the water protectors’ protest to the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol building.

https://theintercept.com/2021/06/08/line-3-pipeline-helicopter-dhs-protest/

https://twitter.com/efrostee/status/1401952522319843329?s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eventually something is going to get thrown into a tail rotor and a helicopter pilot will have a very brief but intensely regretful rest of his life.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

With the prevalence of cheap ADS-B out (it’s cheaper and easier to install than a Mode-C transponder for a lot of airplanes) options that are available now, the reasons for not having it are now essentially limited to “this airplane doesn’t have an electrical system” and “:argh:the gubberment:argh:

Things like this don't help the second case, supposedly it was issued for someone landing at an airport next to the monument, and the superintendent later apologized. If you hear a plane, but don't see it on ADS-B tracking, it might be anonymized, some ADS-B out installs let you anonymize your signal. I'm in an area where one part of the federal government (the army corps of engineers) objects to the current airspace, and has sent written warnings to the local FSDO over pilots who fly in it frequently, despite it being regular E/G airspace with no special notation on the charts. ADS-B has me a little nervous about whether they will ramp up their complaints.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Midjack posted:

Eventually something is going to get thrown into a tail rotor and a helicopter pilot will have a very brief but intensely regretful rest of his life.

I was half expecting that to happen. That totally was within throwing distance, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

marumaru posted:

I was half expecting that to happen. That totally was within throwing distance, right?

I don't know how easy it is to throw a weighted cable through a main rotor's downdraft and empirical test data will be expensive to acquire, but if dusting becomes a popular crowd control technique you can bet it's going to get tried. Hell if they get low enough a UAV might be able to dangle a chain into it from above.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m absolutely not advocating this in any way even though the actions of that pilot were reprehensible, but in a situation like that any random jackass with a centerfire rifle could ruin their day in short order. No rotor-breaking shenanigans required.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Why would a rimfire rifle work?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Murgos posted:

Why would a rimfire rifle work?

Bc the terrorist/freedom fighter would be aiming for the pilot, not the rotor

E. A sudden hole in an engine or a hydraulic line is bad news too and still less challenging than tangling up a rotor with something

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 9, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Homemade 12 ga chain shot? Bring back 19th Century naval loads.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Barrage balloons at the protest at decent intervals

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wzm posted:

Things like this don't help the second case, supposedly it was issued for someone landing at an airport next to the monument, and the superintendent later apologized. If you hear a plane, but don't see it on ADS-B tracking, it might be anonymized, some ADS-B out installs let you anonymize your signal. I'm in an area where one part of the federal government (the army corps of engineers) objects to the current airspace, and has sent written warnings to the local FSDO over pilots who fly in it frequently, despite it being regular E/G airspace with no special notation on the charts. ADS-B has me a little nervous about whether they will ramp up their complaints.

This is an absolutely fair point, and busybody individuals/organizations trying to penalize pilots for flying in places they’re legally allowed to is a thing that is absolutely going to happen more with ADSB than it did before.

Still worth it, IMO. I’m a lot more afraid of a Cirrus with his head down than I am of a DoI cease and desist letter, even if it’s pursued in earnest.

(Also, that AC “encourages” “voluntary practices,” and has a section for “cooperative actions.” Which is all to say, it’s completely toothless, and DoI didn’t have a leg to stand on if they tried to pursue certificate action.)

Cirrus’ are a loving scourge

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1402417609174302724

Hope something comes out of that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Midjack posted:

I don't know how easy it is to throw a weighted cable through a main rotor's downdraft and empirical test data will be expensive to acquire, but if dusting becomes a popular crowd control technique you can bet it's going to get tried. Hell if they get low enough a UAV might be able to dangle a chain into it from above.

Sure, lets jump straight to murder. Why not go straight to shooting at the cops?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sure, lets jump straight to murder. Why not go straight to shooting at the cops?

Stand down, Officer. Idle chatter on a comedy web forum poses no danger to your ability to brutalize people.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sure, lets jump straight to murder.

Calm down dude, I most definitely am not interested in murder, I was just curious about the physics involved.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

marumaru posted:

Calm down dude, I most definitely am not interested in murder, I was just curious about the physics involved.

Theorizing about how to kill people still isn't cool.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Theorizing about how to kill people still isn't cool.

Dry your eyes and report the posts if they really upset you so much you whiny little turd.

Very telling that you don’t seem to give a poo poo about the people the pilot was endangering.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's scarier than snakes on a plane?

Diarrhea on a plane.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Knock it off whatever caused the thread report. Ill be reading a bit later once I get back to a PC

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 9, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

*sighs and grabs pen* Ok, I can take that phone number

Loucks
May 21, 2007

:lol: he actually tattled to the mods about the posts he made up in his head. Amazing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

*sighs and grabs pen* Ok, I can take that phone number

I loving hate doing that to pilots. Unless they really earned it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/js_ascher/status/1402448622697041923?s=21

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’d be funny if it boosted efficiency somehow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

Afterburning bugs would be incredible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

Afterburning bugs would be incredible.

High caloric density?! Oh lord the smell though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've had that happen with June bugs getting sucked into the APU intake, and it's not a pleasant smell. Kind of like slightly sweet molding gym socks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

azflyboy posted:

I've had that happen with June bugs getting sucked into the APU intake, and it's not a pleasant smell. Kind of like slightly sweet molding gym socks.

Stink bugs would be a war crime.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

priznat posted:

Fast and Furious NOS scene but cicadas

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Fury Road methanol injection scene but with cicadas.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wow. Sands of the Kalahari (1965) plot gets rolling when a small plane flies through a locust swarm & crashes in the desert.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Does General Electric publish a spec for the maximum allowable insect ingestion for a CF6-80C2?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Does General Electric publish a spec for the maximum allowable insect ingestion for a CF6-80C2?

'Requirements are valid as described when operating in environments of less than 17% chitinous solids by volume"

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Can't wait to not be anyone involved in cleaning up all the baked on bug guts from cicada fun time 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:swoon:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41032/texan-f-16-viper-appears-in-vietnam-era-green-and-tan-camouflage

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Cirrus’ are a loving scourge

Almost as bad as the cirrus pilots are the cirrus simps on Reddit. They can’t take a “pull the handle” joke to save their lives. And any attempt at constructive discussion of the problems caused by having a get out of jail free card in the cockpit (mostly poor weather related decision making) is dismissed as trolling and being a hater. They’re like Elon musk simps but (presumably) with pilots licenses.

I guess that’s what I get for looking at Reddit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jet fighters look way better when they aren't flat boring gray.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

charliemonster42 posted:

Almost as bad as the cirrus pilots are the cirrus simps on Reddit. They can’t take a “pull the handle” joke to save their lives. And any attempt at constructive discussion of the problems caused by having a get out of jail free card in the cockpit (mostly poor weather related decision making) is dismissed as trolling and being a hater. They’re like Elon musk simps but (presumably) with pilots licenses.

I guess that’s what I get for looking at Reddit.

It sounds like trolling to me.

“Well, because your car has breaks you make poor decisions like driving faster than 10 mph, going down hills or being in the same lane as another car within 500 yards. Real men disable those thing and drive exposed to real consequences for their actions. ”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jet fighters look way better when they aren't flat boring gray.

The A-10 painted up in D-Day camo with invasion stripes looked loving rad