Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really hope they never do it to Bobby then. rear end in a top hat Bobby could just cause the heat death of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bobby had an rear end in a top hat phase in X-Factor.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Marjorie Liu had an arc in Astonishing about him running amok for, iirc, Death Seed-related reasons. I remember it being an ok read, and in hindsight Liu acknowledges that it really does read well as being about him struggling against the closet although she admits to not writing it as such at the time.

Remember also had some stuff with the AoA Iceman in Uncanny X-Force that gave him a chance to show an amoral Bobby really cutting loose with his powers. I remember not being as interested in those issues.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I feel like he's been an rear end in a top hat in alternate realities too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just the little bits of him being pissed off about Kate dying and maybe not coming back in Marauders were pretty loving terrifying.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

If it gets us back to the lovable Beast of 2005, or even to the mildly assholish Beast of 2010, I'll take it.

There seems to be this weird pendulum thing where, every decade, one of the original 5 X-men has to put in some time as one of history's greatest monsters, starting with Jean Grey, continuing through Angel/Archangel, then Scott, and now Beast.

It's been so long since we've seen Lovable Beast that he feels like a fever dream at this point. Pretty sure the last time Beast was any fun was during Kieron Gillen's S.W.O.R.D. miniseries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehh, reading old poo poo, fun loveable Beast seemed more cloying than endearing, so I don't mind.

Having a Scott Summers who genuinely seems happy after god knows how long seems like an even trade off.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Beerdeer posted:

I feel like he's been an rear end in a top hat in alternate realities too.

If you had to put up with Ms Lion yapping all the time you’d be an rear end in a top hat too I reckon.

All the Beast stuff makes me pine for his Avenger days. Him and Simon were doing the cool fun hero buds thing before Ted and Booster were a twinkle in anyone’s eye. I kinda wish he’d never gone back to the X-Men now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

If you had to put up with Ms Lion yapping all the time you’d be an rear end in a top hat too I reckon.

All the Beast stuff makes me pine for his Avenger days. Him and Simon were doing the cool fun hero buds thing before Ted and Booster were a twinkle in anyone’s eye. I kinda wish he’d never gone back to the X-Men now.

He turned blue in the Avengers era, right? If that's not the first sign of his hubris and vanity causing him problems I don't know what is.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skwirl posted:

He turned blue in the Avengers era, right? If that's not the first sign of his hubris and vanity causing him problems I don't know what is.

I don’t love supervillain Beast, and I feel like there’s a difference between a character having flaws and making the character’s flaws become their sole defining trait

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

Just the little bits of him being pissed off about Kate dying and maybe not coming back in Marauders were pretty loving terrifying.

Oh yeah, no joke. Say whatever you want about Scott or Warren at their worst, but I don't think they would have frozen a bunch of dudes in place so they would be helpless and immobile, and then maim their limbs as a show of strength. That's not just rage. That's calculated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, no joke. Say whatever you want about Scott or Warren at their worst, but I don't think they would have frozen a bunch of dudes in place so they would be helpless and immobile, and then maim their limbs as a show of strength. That's not just rage. That's calculated.

Revenge truly is a dish best served cold.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Chuck Austen wrote rear end in a top hat Bobby

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Endless Mike posted:

Looking forward to it being revealed that Hank is an rear end in a top hat because he's possessed by a demon but forgot.

I just want the reveal to be "he turns into Dark Beast in this reality too"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

His fur starts turning white, and they find his stash of Kick.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd been behind on a lot of X-Books and have pretty much caught up now. I am very surprised to say this but I think Hickman's mythological work is the among the weakest stuff currently in the X-Men line. I like most of the individual titles when they're doing their thing but any time they step into the mythology that Hickman has created my eyes kind of just glaze over as I read. I find this very weird as I was super into all of the other stuff Hickman has done at Marvel. But for instance I thought X of Swords was fun when all of the setup for it was done and it got down to what it was doing. But I just did not give one poo poo about Apocalypse and his backstory with his kids and wife and the whole Arrako setup at all. I don't know what it is but every time I turn the page and see a block of text about some heretofore unknown group or see some organizational chart with half the names blocked I just instantly feel like I don't give a poo poo.

But again, on a title by title basis I kind of like all the books that are coming out right now. It's a weird place to be as a reader.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 8, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the mythology aspect is going to be a lot more interesting when the entire run has concluded; going back and reading HoX/PoX I've noticed a lot of foreshadowing and things that are paying off now that weren't as remarkable when I first read it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

X-O posted:

I'd been behind on a lot of X-Books and have pretty much caught up now. I am very surprised to say this but I think Hickman's mythological work is the among the weakest stuff currently in the X-Men line. I like most of the individual titles when they're doing their thing but any time they step into the mythology that Hickman has created my eyes kind of just glaze over as I read. I find this very weird as I was super into all of the other stuff Hickman has done at Marvel. But for instance I thought X of Swords was fun when all of the setup for it was done and it got down to what it was doing. But I just did not give one poo poo about Apocalypse and his backstory with his kids and wife and the whole Arrako setup at all. I don't know what it is but every time I turn the page and see a block of text about some heretofore unknown group or see some organizational chart with half the names blocked I just instantly feel like I don't give a poo poo.

But again, on a title by title basis I kind of like all the books that are coming out right now. It's a weird place to be as a reader.

you're not wrong; the Arakko poo poo has probably been the least interesting aspect of Hickman's run for me. X of Swords had its moments, sure, but it didn't help that it was mainly following up on the Arakko thread along with the Otherworld stuff from Excalibur, one of the weaker current X-books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually really like Excalibur and the Otherworld stuff. It was just when it intersected with Arrako/Genesis/Horsemen I didn't care for that stuff. I think part of that is the whole problem that comes along with retconning such huge parts of a character's backstory like they did with Apocalypse. I suppose I could if I thought the story was done well. But in X of Swords whenever it cut to some some bullshit about Genesis or the Horsemen or Arrako I just wanted it to get back to the X-Men tracking down their swords or all the wackiness that was happening during the the actual contest.

And that's not even to say all the Arrako stuff was bad. I like Solemn and Isca and Doug's new giant wife. There was a lot of fun to be had there when separated from the circumstance that caused it all.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
when the uhari return (with queen regent sue) to take back their ancestral lands of dryador you WILL enjoy the hickman wank

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Arrako poo poo is extra hilarious, because didn't Hickman say at the start of HoX/PoX he didn't want to introduce a bunch of new mutants and wanted to focus on the hundreds of characters that already exist in the X-Books? Then he invents an island with hundreds of new mutants.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I don't think you're going to get a lot of pushback with the opinion of "Arrako kinda sucks." The stuff that HoXPoX hinted at about Apocalypse's Krakoan history would have been much better if it was more limited to the hints about the Original Horsemen and such instead of the exposition-heavy issues we got.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

The Arrako poo poo is extra hilarious, because didn't Hickman say at the start of HoX/PoX he didn't want to introduce a bunch of new mutants and wanted to focus on the hundreds of characters that already exist in the X-Books? Then he invents an island with hundreds of new mutants.

to be fair, it's not like any of them have actually been introduced beyond a handful of named characters. Yeah, there's a million new mutants, but since they're all background characters and/or plot devices, it's not like they matter that much

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

All the Arakko mutants have been pretty cool so far, and I like that they have their own history and culture, that makes them seem alien even to the mutants on Krakoa. They just need to get around to doing more with them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

All the Arakko mutants have been pretty cool so far, and I like that they have their own history and culture, that makes them seem alien even to the mutants on Krakoa. They just need to get around to doing more with them.

Don't get me wrong, I would die for Doug's big wife or Pogg-Ur-Pog (sp?). it's just a funny juxtaposition.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Men good, Excalibur super gay, and also good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1402710337665658884?s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I mean, it's also pretty obvious Hickman got the 'Moira's a mutant' idea from her contracting the Legacy virus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Except within the context of that story, the "hole" was Rachel sending old Kate's mind back to take over young Kitty's body.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

ILLUMINATI ILLUMINATI

THEY'RE COMING BACK

e: did they ever really leave

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is Charles taking his spot back

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, it's also pretty obvious Hickman got the 'Moira's a mutant' idea from her contracting the Legacy virus.

90's are a huge gap in my X-Men lore, I did own the issue where Illyana died from the Legacy virus, but at the time I had no clue who she was, almost everything I knew about X-Men was from the then current cartoon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have no idea what I just read in today's X-Men and not in a good way. The more I think about it, the more I realize I disliked it.

Bunch of mysteeeeeerious talk that has apparently no bearing to anything going on in the other (better) titles. Who are this secret society that shows up for that one page and why Emma wants their box's contents? Who knows who cares. I assume it's stuff that only readers of previous Hickman works would get.

Who's that celebrity who apparently can't get a drink from Madrox, is it a known joke for a celebrity only Americans would recognize? Who's the other celebrity with the trucker hat who randomly asks Cyclops for his life story where the latter says a bunch of stuff that is apparently just meant for the reader on why he doesn't trust Xavier because Scott used to put him in a pedestal? Ok...?

What's even going on in the last page with what appears to be Mars with two shadow figures standing around? It's a mess, a disjointed mess, including five or six pages wasted to showcase that Namor thinks so highly of himself (edgy snoozefest) and which could have been done in two panels, and it certainly doesn't help that between all those artists the art is all over the place in terms of consistency and quality.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Who's that celebrity who apparently can't get a drink from Madrox, is it a known joke for a celebrity only Americans would recognize? Who's the other celebrity with the trucker hat who randomly asks Cyclops for his life story where the latter says a bunch of stuff that is apparently just meant for the reader on why he doesn't trust Xavier because Scott used to put him in a pedestal? Ok...?

its literally Cyclops explaining to Kevin Feige why the X-Men should be in movies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

One thing I like about this current X-Men line is they lean into the queerness of characters who had previously only been alluded to as being queer, but also respect same sex platonic friendships. It feels more natural, none of that automatic "oh, these two people of the same gender respect and support each other, they must be secret gay lovers" stuff that often happens when characters from 30-80 years ago get re-imagined.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gaz-L posted:

Except Moira('s Shi'ar golem) died from a variation made for mystique to kill humans. That's very clearly established before Moira is killed by it.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Alaois posted:

its literally Cyclops explaining to Kevin Feige why the X-Men should be in movies

thanks, i knew it must have been something but the only people i've recognised so far are RTJ and George RR Martin...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Patton Oswalt's been made real hard to miss for some reason.

I was sort of pleased, as someone who doesn't follow sports at all, to recognize Megan Rapinoe in Marauders.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You can only recognize Eminem because who else is going to show up with a hood over a baseball cap.

Having George R R Martin meet miscolored Lockheed was a cute touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Except within the context of that story, the "hole" was Rachel sending old Kate's mind back to take over young Kitty's body.

the great thing about claremont destiny is that everything she did and said was incredibly vague. it can be reinterpreted without retcons changing the actual events on page. pitting her against moira is a great idea because it doesn't actually contradict anything that happened while using vague or abandoned plot elements. destiny went to her death because it prevented mystique from dying. so what if that was a deliberate trap used to kill destiny? if so, it certainly wasn't shadow king or legion who set it up.