Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thetoughestbean posted:

The best part is Japanese fans argue about whether it’s better dubbed or subbed

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JH4YIXfNeA

king of the hill was actually fairly popular in japan. the ep where they go to japan must have been a trip to those fans, lol

its also funny how boomhauer just kinda talks normally. a bit fast and rambly but he's comprehensible.

yeah, what other western cartoons are popular in japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mentioned it upthread, but The Simpsons definitely is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8fm7OvsTQ

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Not a cartoon but Kamen Rider Dragon Knight and some Power Rangers things have gotten a Japanese dub iirc. And their source material is Japanese Toku.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Disney stuff probably goes without saying, right? Kingdom Hearts' existence has to have an explanation, after all.

Also, for content (again): apparently James A. Janisse of Dead Meat/Kill Count fame is doing weird abridged-style riffs on horror movies now? I was pretty entertained by the most recent one but I think I just enjoyed his take on Ghostface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_I5d3ilhdo&hd=1

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dias posted:

Also, for content (again): apparently James A. Janisse of Dead Meat/Kill Count fame is doing weird abridged-style riffs on horror movies now? I was pretty entertained by the most recent one but I think I just enjoyed his take on Ghostface:

Unfortunately I think he realizes he's going to have to start finding a new format after his last video got a copyright strike. I heard James talk on stream what one has to go through to dispute them (which can like open you up to another strike?) and apparently he's still in the hole from taking a few weeks off last year or so.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

Unfortunately I think he realizes he's going to have to start finding a new format after his last video got a copyright strike. I heard James talk on stream what one has to go through to dispute them (which can like open you up to another strike?) and apparently he's still in the hole from taking a few weeks off last year or so.

That makes sense, Youtube fuckin' sucks, man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I prefer Carnage Counts over Dead Meat since she gets right to the point and the Sonic ring sfx for each kill is hilarious. She got hit her original channel nuked for "spam" because most of her videos are under five minutes. It's ridiculous.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Very appropriate considering this thread's recent topic is that Strange Aeons read Chuck Tingle's book Trans Wizard Harriet Porber

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Chuck Tingle kicks rear end.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Atrocity Guide (a channel similar to Down the Rabbit Hole) looks at the case of an indie game developer who in 2008 had what appeared to be a promising project that has still not seen a public release due (it seems) primarily to the developer's own narcissism and erratic behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47maEySTdI

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mr.Radar posted:

Atrocity Guide (a channel similar to Down the Rabbit Hole) looks at the case of an indie game developer who in 2008 had what appeared to be a promising project that has still not seen a public release due (it seems) primarily to the developer's own narcissism and erratic behavior:

The wildest part of this so far is where he tries to get a Indy handheld going.

Oh and it reminds me that yes, Phil Fish is a piece of poo poo.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yardbomb posted:

Chuck Tingle kicks rear end.

Kicked the in the butt by chuck tingle

By chuck tingle

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

genuinely no offense (I think I might be oversensitive about this sort of thing) but this kind of video, more the frederick knudsen stuff than this one, often veers really close to helldumping for me. Not really sure where the line is. esp the one they did about christine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

what's funny is he probably could have gotten on steam and other places way easier now. its kinda sad. i am pretty sure he is before the big indie blow out staring in like 2010 or so.

i feel like him saying "it was all a viral" thing feels like him getting scared and trying to walk back before he got sued.

Edit. Yeah i am not sure what to make of him. id have tried bobs game full edition because i like weird poo poo. i also forgot about phil fish getting mad at youtube. what an rear end in a top hat. seems to me that scott cauthorn is one of the few recent indie developers who isnt a giant unbalanced rear end in a top hat and or actually makes sequels.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 10, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hey do you want to watch and learn how a guy in his fifties with kids does rhetorical donuts on top of a school shooter's insanity plea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwt35SEeR9w

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mr.Radar posted:

This guy posted on something awful once promoting his game, I dunno if the video mentions this. A bunch of goons were convinced he was a puppet master genius trolling the internet, when it was pretty clear he wasn't.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

Hey do you want to watch and learn how a guy in his fifties with kids does rhetorical donuts on top of a school shooter's insanity plea?

DEMONS!

"Shut up."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

thanks for the new channel. i have been looking for interesting poo poo like this. holy poo poo the actual "insane" dude is loving terrifying. the dude is just inhumanly cold and prigish. like sure he has some clear neurodivergent traits but its way beyond that.

oh gently caress. its about that school shooter chud from stoneman douglass.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 10, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Impermanent posted:

genuinely no offense (I think I might be oversensitive about this sort of thing) but this kind of video, more the frederick knudsen stuff than this one, often veers really close to helldumping for me. Not really sure where the line is. esp the one they did about christine.

The CWC one I get what you're saying, but this is mostly chronicling the things Bob did on camera to explicitly gain publicity, so I'm a little less sympathetic, even if there appears to be mental illness playing a part.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what's funny is he probably could have gotten on steam and other places way easier now. its kinda sad. i am pretty sure he is before the big indie blow out staring in like 2010 or so.

i feel like him saying "it was all a viral" thing feels like him getting scared and trying to walk back before he got sued.

This one is so frustrating because he repeatedly shot himself in the foot by refusing any realistic step towards what he ultimately wanted and just kept holding out for "give me Nintendo game nearly sight unseen based on how badly I want it". Dude pissed all publicity and good will away because he was convinced he was the loner genius game creator who deserved to start with his dream result. This could have so easily been a publicity dream for Nintendo as he gets his dream game picked up and cleaned up by some small developer looking to make a name and hoping the game didn't suck.

I assume the "it was all viral" puppetmaster defense was him realizing that he'd painted Nintendo into a corner of not rewarding death threats.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

havent watched the video yet but he did basically fake a suicide on a fake livestream when he first started posting about his game thing here

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Edit. Yeah i am not sure what to make of him. id have tried bobs game full edition because i like weird poo poo. i also forgot about phil fish getting mad at youtube. what an rear end in a top hat. seems to me that scott cauthorn is one of the few recent indie developers who isnt a giant unbalanced rear end in a top hat and or actually makes sequels.

Scott Cauthon is a rabid Christian fundamentalist who was convinced he was doing God's work with FNAF by hiding subliminal Bible verses and poo poo throughout them. Just because he didn't publicly melt down about it doesn't he isn't batshit.

EDIT: Editing in to this post as well because it seems prudent. It seems I fell for an old creepypasta hoax or some poo poo years back and never bothered to look more into it. My bad. Sorry.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 10, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

scott is incredibly cool because he just made the same game like six times and made a whole bunch of money and dipped

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

unless cawthon's money is going towards bigot charities I'd say he's a cool guy whose worst attributes aren't hurting anybody so

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

Scott Cauthon is a rabid Christian fundamentalist who was convinced he was doing God's work with FNAF by hiding subliminal Bible verses and poo poo throughout them. Just because he didn't publicly melt down about it doesn't he isn't batshit.
You got anything specific? All his religious influence seems to be making bible skinned jrpgs and generic "God is a part of all my life" stuff. Which is pretty normal.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

You got anything specific? All his religious influence seems to be making bible skinned jrpgs and generic "God is a part of all my life" stuff. Which is pretty normal.

You and I have very different definitions of normal because, to me, hiding Bible quotes and poo poo in your indie horror series specifically marketed at kids in the hope of luring them into your church when they go googling for what the secret messages are is hosed up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know more about FNAF than I ever wanted and I have never heard word one about subliminal bible verses or cawthorn being a covert fundie evangelist. religious yes, “brainwashing kids for Jesus” no

vvv: also true, every new fnaf game has YouTube lorelords swarming over it like termites. you’d think something like this would have been excavated and blared from the rooftops fifty times over

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 10, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Fargle posted:

You and I have very different definitions of normal because, to me, hiding Bible quotes and poo poo in your indie horror series specifically marketed at kids in the hope of luring them into your church when they go googling for what the secret messages are is hosed up.

I haven't found any evidence that there are actually hidden bible quotes in the game. You'd figure there be a bajillion game theory youtube videos about it if there was. Sounds like something somebody made up because they are pissed that the the creator is a christian. Maybe, I'm missing something though.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I read a whole thing about it years ago when the series was still big and I'm trying to find the article now to share but it seems to be gone.

EDIT: It appears I may have fallen for an old creepypasta hoax. My bad.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 10, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Captain Fargle posted:

lol what the gently caress are you talking about

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
literally the only thing that comes up when I search for that is that, in FNAF 4, there are random numbers flashing on an alarm clock at one point
and you can take those numbers and use them to find bible verses. but that's true of basically any number in the "XX:XX" format of a digital clock, just because bible verses are organized by two numbers, and probably is not on purpose.

also scott has specifically said in an interview that there are no hidden Christian messages in fnaf

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
gentle reminder not to believe everything you read online

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Turns out the real Freddie was Jesus all along. I assume there is a Freddie, anyway.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

There's nothing hidden in the game about that, FNAF of all games has been very very thoroughly plumbed for hidden messages. All his Christian stuff is right out in the open with like Pilgrim's Progress rpg not games about haunted animatronics.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Oxxidation posted:

I know more about FNAF than I ever wanted and I have never heard word one about subliminal bible verses or cawthorn being a covert fundie evangelist. religious yes, “brainwashing kids for Jesus” no

vvv: also true, every new fnaf game has YouTube lorelords swarming over it like termites. you’d think something like this would have been excavated and blared from the rooftops fifty times over

Hey, let's not forget the insidious pro-Jesus messages in Doom's soundtrack: https://www.pcgamer.com/jesus-loves-you-is-hidden-in-the-doom-soundtrack/

And the obligatory amazing Mick Gordon talk about making the music for Doom and his hidden messages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I edited into my posts above but just to put the topic to rest it seems I feel for a dumb hoax years back and never looked more into it. My bad. Sorry.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So FNAF was actually the Insane CLown Posse all along.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's cawthon maxing out his donations to a bunch of extreme right-wing candidates. like cornyn!

quote:

After Lawrence v. Texas, the U.S. Supreme Court decision finding anti-sodomy unconstitutional, Cornyn condemned the "startling display of judicial activism that so threatens our fundamental institutions and our values". He said he worried that the Supreme Court would next overturn the Defense of Marriage Act, which prohibited recognition of same-sex marriage at the federal level,[108] and subsequently played a leading role in trying to introduce a constitutional amendment to prohibit same-sex marriage. Cornyn argued that recognition of same-sex marriage harmed those who were in heterosexual marriages.[114] He claimed that children raised by gay couples are "at higher risk of a host of social ills", such as crime, drug use and dropping out of school,[ arguing that same-sex would put "more and more children at risk through a radical social experiment".[115] Cornyn opposed adoption of children by gay couples.

so idk why you have to go with 'subliminal biblical messages' to say he's a christian fundie

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

here's cawthon maxing out his donations to a bunch of extreme right-wing candidates. like cornyn!

so idk why you have to go with 'subliminal biblical messages' to say he's a christian fundie

Yeah, see that’s more like it when it comes to hosed up politics and poo poo. He just doesn’t hide it and keeps it quiet, so no one cares. Plus he is smart enough to split his work mostly from his politics apparently. My reason for example of him was he doesn’t really have big weird personal drama and he isn’t a prick to fans and such. I’d say I have more issues with him donating to weird ghouls like nunes and co though.

Farm Frenzy posted:

scott is incredibly cool because he just made the same game like six times and made a whole bunch of money and dipped

Yeah pretty much, I am not really a fan of the games but I know he is smart enough to strike the iron repeatedly when it’s hot and not be a weird monster on social media even if he gives his money to them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

The best part is Japanese fans argue about whether it’s better dubbed or subbed

I'm a fan of their Bobby and Dale.

Endorph posted:

its also funny how boomhauer just kinda talks normally. a bit fast and rambly but he's comprehensible.

But I really loving love French Canadian Boomhauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGbDGdjFVk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

donating to Ben Carson what a loser.