Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Another NGU idle beginner question I can't really find much info on. I am past titan 2 and farming them and the 2D dimension. I am running 1:40:1 ration on Energy upgrade. almost 1.4million energy, but only 200k Magic since a lot of guides say not to worry about magic just yet. At what point should I be actually focusing on putting a lot of XP into Magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I think I only really started to care about magic around Titan 5. Up until that point I kept it around a 10:1 ratio of total energy exp to total magic exp? Something like that.

By the way, if you haven't yet, I highly recommend checking out the NGU discord, which has helpful information sorted into channels based on where you are in the game, and a bunch of friendly players who are happy to advise and/or commiserate with you.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

TheJadedOne posted:

Another NGU idle beginner question I can't really find much info on. I am past titan 2 and farming them and the 2D dimension. I am running 1:40:1 ration on Energy upgrade. almost 1.4million energy, but only 200k Magic since a lot of guides say not to worry about magic just yet. At what point should I be actually focusing on putting a lot of XP into Magic?

That doesn’t matter all that much. If you’re happy with your energy progress you can toss some at magic. But you’ll still want to prioritize energy for a bit until magic gets used by more of the areas of the game. Until then it’s just not going to help you go faster or get EXP faster.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Haha, guess who's a big dumb smartypants who only realized that nettles -AND- flowers can boost mushrooms in Ethereal Farm? And only at the end of the no-upgrades challenge run? :v:
Yeesh, the remaining time just imploded. I've been boosting mushrooms exclusively with nettles up until now, and I was kind of puzzled why it was so hard to progress past ethereal level 25 for the tree in normal runs.

I mean, it's mentioned in the tooltips and everything, so I'm not sure how it ended up becoming such a blindspot to me.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SubNat posted:

Haha, guess who's a big dumb smartypants who only realized that nettles -AND- flowers can boost mushrooms in Ethereal Farm? And only at the end of the no-upgrades challenge run? :v:
Yeesh, the remaining time just imploded. I've been boosting mushrooms exclusively with nettles up until now, and I was kind of puzzled why it was so hard to progress past ethereal level 25 for the tree in normal runs.

I mean, it's mentioned in the tooltips and everything, so I'm not sure how it ended up becoming such a blindspot to me.

Yeah, tripped me up at the beginning too. Pretty quickly, you always want two nettles and one flower on each mushroom.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Evolve.

Am I really gonna have to collect nearly a thousand soul gems per pillar, or does the "security reduces the construction costs" note mean that enough security will reduce the number of segments I need to construct or remove the soul gem requirement or whatever?

If not, is there something I've missed after demonic attractor to increase soul gem drop?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i'm part of the way through sadistic in NGU and my energy seems to have hit a cap of 9 Quintillion no matter what i do to increase it via exp. Is that as high as it goes or do the perks and wishes still increase it further?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

That's as high as it goes. And power only goes up to 1 quintillion.

edit: and as of the next update, adventure stats only go up to 1e36 (1e37 for HP) if I remember right.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, once you hit that point, putting exp into the resource caps just makes it so that you need less gear that has that bonus.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm, is that a big reason why Sadistic takes so long? I'm only just past the It Hungers titan (still haven't reached the next zone yet), so that limit doesn't feel like it'll stretch and let you cap everything like NGUs, time machine augmentation etc.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Hmm, is that a big reason why Sadistic takes so long? I'm only just past the It Hungers titan (still haven't reached the next zone yet), so that limit doesn't feel like it'll stretch and let you cap everything like NGUs, time machine augmentation etc.

You don't need to cap everything at once. You eventually hard cap everything that represents permanent, ongoing progress. I've been at the point for months where I have every perk, quirk, wish, hard-capped NGUs, hard-capped hacks, etc. There's literally nothing to do.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Oh, detail I forgot: potions still work! That's the only exception to the power cap, and using both with the blue heart will get you to 4.4 quintillion power.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Kin posted:

You must have Sad Troll #1 to be able to cap NGU.
It will take a long while, almost the end of Sadistic, to be able to cap NGUs. It is not like normal and evil, where ngu magic ngu and ngu energy ngu would speed things up, in sad they merely let you maintain your assigned quantities.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jhet posted:

Yeah, this was about right for me too. IDP wasn't too bad, but the jumps don't get easier, you just get a couple more tools to grind and make the numbers go. Hacks and really pushing NGUs was big. I think I also did a bunch of the challenges around that point too.
I'm building for IDP right now and uuuuggghh. Just to check, number doesn't effect Adventure stats, right?

I'm debating saving up the 33k pp to buy improved iron pill. Yeah, I'm gonna do that. I'll need it anyway at some point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You folks weren't kidding about Sadistic Troll Challenge #2, I mean goddamn.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

I'm building for IDP right now and uuuuggghh. Just to check, number doesn't effect Adventure stats, right?

I'm debating saving up the 33k pp to buy improved iron pill. Yeah, I'm gonna do that. I'll need it anyway at some point.

Yeah, you probably should have done that a couple weeks ago.

This stage of the game has plenty of grind. So there is some decisions to make about order of perk/quirk. But anything that boosts fully up to speed portions is better than the sink of cards. Cards catch up, but they’re just a giant resource sink.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

cards? before IDP?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aurora posted:

cards? before IDP?

Oh, nope. That was me confusing IDP with the sadistic convo. Same concept applies though for ADV progress though. Stack as much as you can, but balance with e/m/r3 purchases. The grind gets worse in SAD, but it's still slows down in Evil.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Evolve.

Am I really gonna have to collect nearly a thousand soul gems per pillar, or does the "security reduces the construction costs" note mean that enough security will reduce the number of segments I need to construct or remove the soul gem requirement or whatever?

If not, is there something I've missed after demonic attractor to increase soul gem drop?

Mostly, yes. Adding Harmony Crystals to the pillars reduces the number of segments required per pillar, but not too significantly. I had two fused and it still required 922 segments for example. Security reduces the materials cost by a percentage, but it rounds up to the nearest whole number so Soul Gems will likely never be reduced from 1. It will take a long time for your first pillar since you haven't built up the various methods of guaranteed soul gem generation through The Pit. It doesn't go much faster beyond this either to get Artefacts, unfortunately.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Picked up Matter Dimensions again to see if I could get past the wall that is Atomic. The answer is still no - I got to 6 Collision Points but I'm only getting about 250k/300k atoms per reset and upgrades are costing multiple millions at this point - which wouldn't be so bad if each reset wasn't a whole lot of busywork manually building waves, balancing vaccuumic trees and collision point distribution.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Mostly, yes. Adding Harmony Crystals to the pillars reduces the number of segments required per pillar, but not too significantly. I had two fused and it still required 922 segments for example. Security reduces the materials cost by a percentage, but it rounds up to the nearest whole number so Soul Gems will likely never be reduced from 1. It will take a long time for your first pillar since you haven't built up the various methods of guaranteed soul gem generation through The Pit. It doesn't go much faster beyond this either to get Artefacts, unfortunately.

OK thanks. Didn't take super long to get them, got to the spire in a couple days.

Now I'm totally in the dark about what all the different mech stuff does.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

After such a long run, I think I'm done with Ethereal Farm... for now. The squirrel nut update isn't really pushing anything any faster than before and feels like a useless contrivance compared to all the previous huge boosters, making me feel more stuck than I did before. I'll probably come back in a month, if I even remember.

Same goes for fe000000. The gains are soooo slow at about 58 theorems that I'm just bored by it now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

OK thanks. Didn't take super long to get them, got to the spire in a couple days.

Now I'm totally in the dark about what all the different mech stuff does.

The dev updated the Wiki that's linked in the top right of the page with all that stuff, about a week ago, thankfully! Basically two strats for it: One is being active and refreshing your mech army to be the best in the current Spire level, the second is maximizing the variety of weapons and types and then simply leaving it to idle.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DaveKap posted:

After such a long run, I think I'm done with Ethereal Farm... for now. The squirrel nut update isn't really pushing anything any faster than before and feels like a useless contrivance compared to all the previous huge boosters, making me feel more stuck than I did before. I'll probably come back in a month, if I even remember.

Same goes for fe000000. The gains are soooo slow at about 58 theorems that I'm just bored by it now.

Nuts are supposed to be your long run / weekend run. To actually progress you basically stop when you stop leveling the tree which is between 30-60 minutes into a run. It has turned into a pretty active game that you have to use premade discord builds because that is the community that is pushing the content and has the dev's ear.

Maybe it will find a new balance with 24 hour runs that feel like you are still progressing with longer weekend or week long run for squirrel upgrades. I'm not even sure what the dev goal for time actually is since that doesn't seem to be how most idle games try to balance. People are looking to fill regular voids of time, I think how much time you need the player to commit is the most important design goal for an idle but most devs don't seem to agree it tends to bounce around wildly during development. So yeah who knows what EF will look like in a year time commitment wise.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Any tips for the Exile V3-V4 stretch? I have maxed Radlands gear and hack days aren't giving me much anymore.

NGU Idle might straight up be my favorite "video game" ever. It's so relaxing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Tokelau All Star posted:

Any tips for the Exile V3-V4 stretch? I have maxed Radlands gear and hack days aren't giving me much anymore.

NGU Idle might straight up be my favorite "video game" ever. It's so relaxing.

Buy adventure stats with XP, I pulled out my demon looty out of daycare early as well because an extra billion PT was nuts at that point

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Evolve.

Yeah I fell off Evolve because I didn’t know how to progress after hell opened up

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I've pretty much officially run out of things to do in NGU, just having a few perks/quirks/wishes that don't actually give me any actual benefits left (bars and A/D when I don't need to rebirth, power/cap when I'm hardcapped, deck size). Nothing left to do but let my NGUs tick up and wait for the next update, I guess!

e: Oh, I guess I could finish up challenges, but :effort:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 15, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I've pretty much officially run out of things to do in NGU, just having a few perks/quirks/wishes that don't actually give me any actual benefits left (bars and A/D when I don't need to rebirth, power/cap when I'm hardcapped, deck size). Nothing left to do but let my NGUs tick up and wait for the next update, I guess!

e: Oh, I guess I could finish up challenges, but :effort:

"Run out of things to do". I'll give you the perks/quirks/wishes that are over hardcap, but challenges? Honestly, if you're just coasting, the challenges shouldn't even take very long and you should do them to actually be nearly done.

I'm still on Rock Lobster and I find that some days I can't be bothered to even rebirth or harvest ygg. It's that in between where you're just grinding the small gains that gets me into meh territory. Even though if I did it every day it wouldn't last as long, but try telling my brain that.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Picked up Matter Dimensions again to see if I could get past the wall that is Atomic. The answer is still no - I got to 6 Collision Points but I'm only getting about 250k/300k atoms per reset and upgrades are costing multiple millions at this point - which wouldn't be so bad if each reset wasn't a whole lot of busywork manually building waves, balancing vaccuumic trees and collision point distribution.

Are you swapping your points around to maximize CK gain right as you go atomic, and then swapping again before spending it on points? There's definitely some grindiness there, but iirc you should be able to get a new point every atomic or two. Maybe that comes after you get a few more points though, it's been a while.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I fell off Evolve because I didn’t know how to progress after hell opened up

Idle incremental clickers r4: didn’t know how to progress after hell opened up

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Jhet posted:

"Run out of things to do". I'll give you the perks/quirks/wishes that are over hardcap, but challenges? Honestly, if you're just coasting, the challenges shouldn't even take very long and you should do them to actually be nearly done.

You're not wrong, but the only challenges I have remaining just give EXP and AP as rewards, neither of which I really need. I'm basically just pumping all my EXP into R3 right now anyway, not because I particularly need any more R3 but because energy/magic are capped and I don't need any more adventure stats.

Nibble posted:

Are you swapping your points around to maximize CK gain right as you go atomic, and then swapping again before spending it on points? There's definitely some grindiness there, but iirc you should be able to get a new point every atomic or two. Maybe that comes after you get a few more points though, it's been a while.

I am, yeah. At least, I think I'm doing it optimally. I checked their Discord and I'm in kind of a dark zone - there's a lot of 'how to get past CP5' and 'how to get past CP7' advice but almost none for CP6, which makes me think that I'm missing something obvious.
I have about 8 spare Space Theorems too, which means that I can break infinity without taking the rightmost path on the first split, but really the bonuses for that path seem not that great. If I could break infinity by taking the matter paths on the 3-way and 4-way splits, I think that would be optimal since atoms scale off of matter dimensions, but I'm like 12 theorems off from that with no obvious way of gaining more that isn't, like, idling waves for a few days.
Basically what I'm doing is:
* Dimensionaling up to around 1e8 shards and all cheaper upgrades
* Breaking infinity (gravitonic paths), buying 4th-row photonics and going down the photonic path on the 4-way split with the extra theorems
* Respeccing atomics into Beryllium, grinding waves/temperature
* Respeccing into Boron, grinding photons.
* Respeccing back into H/He, atomic reset for 250k/300k-ish.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 15, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Once I've got the Sadistic Troll Challenge 2 dinner, what's my optimal rebirth time if I want to boost my macguffins quickly?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Once I've got the Sadistic Troll Challenge 2 dinner, what's my optimal rebirth time if I want to boost my macguffins quickly?

30 minutes to 24 hours is the sweet spot. There's no change in how much bonus you get here.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

From the official Discord:

- Any rebirth time between 30 minutes and 24 hours will be just as efficient as 30 minutes for guff gains. Basically, guff runs are dead
- Any rebirth time between 1 day and 7 (technically 7.05 days) days will continue to gain growth to guffs but less efficiently than 24 hour rebirths (^0.4, specifically).
- Any rebirth time after 7.05 days will stop growing completely. You will gain no more guff bonuses.

Here's a table of the guff run gains for long rebirths and their efficiencies
code:
Days    Gains    Efficiency
  1     48.00      100.00%
  2     63.34      65.98%
  3     74.49      51.73%
  4     83.57      43.53%
  5     91.38      38.07%
  6     98.29      34.13%
  7     104.54     31.11%
  8     104.86     28.72%
  9     104.86     25.95%
  10    104.86     23.35%
  20    104.86     11.68%
  30    104.86     7.78%
  40    104.86     5.84%
  50    104.86     4.67%
Gains = number of equivalent 30-minute guff runs, Efficiency = percentage of optimal guff gains

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

You're not wrong, but the only challenges I have remaining just give EXP and AP as rewards, neither of which I really need. I'm basically just pumping all my EXP into R3 right now anyway, not because I particularly need any more R3 but because energy/magic are capped and I don't need any more adventure stats.

Just FYI you’ll need to reach 1e36 in your adventure stats (more for HP) to finish the ending, while nothing new is being added for R3. Adjust your spending priorities if you haven’t already hit that level.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I am, yeah. At least, I think I'm doing it optimally. I checked their Discord and I'm in kind of a dark zone - there's a lot of 'how to get past CP5' and 'how to get past CP7' advice but almost none for CP6, which makes me think that I'm missing something obvious.
I have about 8 spare Space Theorems too, which means that I can break infinity without taking the rightmost path on the first split, but really the bonuses for that path seem not that great. If I could break infinity by taking the matter paths on the 3-way and 4-way splits, I think that would be optimal since atoms scale off of matter dimensions, but I'm like 12 theorems off from that with no obvious way of gaining more that isn't, like, idling waves for a few days.
Basically what I'm doing is:
* Dimensionaling up to around 1e8 shards and all cheaper upgrades
* Breaking infinity (gravitonic paths), buying 4th-row photonics and going down the photonic path on the 4-way split with the extra theorems
* Respeccing atomics into Beryllium, grinding waves/temperature
* Respeccing into Boron, grinding photons.
* Respeccing back into H/He, atomic reset for 250k/300k-ish.

Sounds like you might be missing a more optimal study path, yeah. What’s your theorem total? I remember there was a pinned post on the discord with suggestions that was pretty accurate.

If you can use the far-right neutronic path on the last split instead of gravitonic, the bonuses there will let you get the final tier of neutronic particle upgrades, which are very strong. You might also need to shuffle your CP and reactions to get the element bonus that reduces particle cost.

You’re entering the stage of the game where tickspeed upgrades are king, so focus on those where you can. The matter path on the 3-way split has a tickspeed bonus that’s absolutely essential, so your spare theorems should be going towards that until you have the option to take that path on your way to break infinity.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I was having fun with FE000000 until I hit eternity challenges - having to look at a guide for challenge order, studies needed to unlock the challenge and studies needed to actually beat the challenge sucked all the fun out of the game.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm at a slow point in my Synergism game and looking to fill some time. Any recommendations for pretty active games (but not clickers) that can be completed in a few days to a week?

E: I started Ordinal Markup and watched multiple videos trying to explain the math behind it. I think I've made a huge mistake

Nibble fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Prestige Tree (and its myriad of spin-offs and mods)

FE0000000000