Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

live with fruit posted:

If we're breaking this seal, someone's pointed out that one of the Time-Keepers (the middle one) kinda looks like Jonathan Majors.

Oh drat. And looking again, the Timekeepers' statue faces are all broken up/segmented by lines running down them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Robot Style posted:

Depends on your definition of Big. There's stuff like Homecoming's title cards placing it after Infinity War in the timeline, or the dead-end foreshadowing of Loki controlling Selvig pre-Avengers and blind Heimdall from Age of Ultron.

I feel like there's a difference between scrapped storylines and plot holes. Steve going back to live with Peggy seems to be more of a plot hole since it presumably is in an alternate universe, which would contradict what the cartoon said.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I feel like we got to super brief action set pieces and just “Loki, this is your personality, this is what we need to tell you about the show. Here’s you not getting it, not getting it, now you finally get it.” Felt like marvel Netflix pacing instead of Disney+ pacing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They cast Richard E. Grant in the show and rumor is he's playing Old Loki so I'm guessing that is the evil variant running around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

X-O posted:

They cast Richard E. Grant in the show and rumor is he's playing Old Loki so I'm guessing that is the evil variant running around.

The guy from Spice World?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

X-O posted:

They cast Richard E. Grant in the show and rumor is he's playing Old Loki so I'm guessing that is the "evil variant" running around.

Adjusted that for you because given the fact that the TVA regularly destroys entire universes filled with sentient beings in the name of protecting their "sacred timeline" it's a little hard for me to see someone killing them as evil. Maybe in episode 2.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Are the infinity stones not working because they’re not in their own reality?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

VaultAggie posted:

It's only explained as: magic doesn't work in the TVA.

I guess cosmic magic doesn't work either there. It's odd, but maybe the three magical time lord lizards have a way to nullify the powers of variants and their weapons/trinkets/etc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The guy from Spice World?

He's an older British actor known for playing smarmy villainous assholes, so it wouldn't be surprising. He's never been a household name or anything, but the idea of him as an Older Loki and/or more villainous one does make sense. A quick look at his Wikipedia says his most recent large role that people might know him from is playing one of the major villains in Logan. I haven't even seen it, so I'm not sure just how major the role is, but it seems like a large role at least. So if you've seen that you might have a better idea of what to expect, since I assume he's not being as hammy in Logan as he would be in something like Spice World.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VaultAggie posted:

That’s the comic explanation. As the stones are created and control the reality they were birthed in they serve no purpose outside of it and it seems the TVA is firmly outside space and time.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

tsob posted:

It was kind of cool, but also didn't feel like anything really astonishing in and of itself i.e. the kind of thing that couldn't eventually exist without really advanced technology outside the realm of human ingenuity or the laws of normal physics. I'd frankly have expected something more akin to an M.C. Escher painting, with the various planes of the city folding in on themselves in mind bending ways, and time looping oddly for traversal or something. I'm honestly kind of confused about why Loki was so shocked by the appearance of the city and refused to believe that there was no magic in the TVA when he saw it. If anything, Asgard looks more impressive, because the TVA place just looks so chaotic and haphazard, where Asgard has an elegance to it's design. Also that there actually is apparently no magic in the TVA. Magic is basically a fundamental force in the Marvel universe, so not having any would be like building a city with...I don't know, no gravity or something. It's just another part of nature. Why would they specifically be avoiding it? Not even zero gravity, as in a vacuum; but a place where the very concept of gravity doesn't exist. Which, I'm not even sure how that would affect things.

Speaking of TVA technology: I like that the TVA gestapo have advanced time/space manipulation devices that can slow down someone's personal timeline, put them in a loop etc. and that the TVA's headquarters is capable of voiding fundamental forces like the Infinity Stones but the TVA police themselves have basic bitch armor that'd probably be fairly useless against a simple sword, and are taken out by an oil fire trap.

So these two things are probably related. In the comics at least the infinity stones don't work outside of the universe. The first example of this that springs to mind actually involves Loki, he makes a door leading outside the universe with the infinity stones then leaves them behind because they won't work where he's going. I assume the TVA isn't inside the universe so magic doesn't work for the same reason there . It's not voiding fundamental forces, those forces just don't exist there. Why would Loki be surprised they can achieve what they're doing without magic? Probably because he's used to living in a very magical world.

quote:

Is Josta infamous in some way? I assume it's a particularly cheap or low rent Coca-Cola knock-off in America or something?

It's just a short lived brand from the 90s that's probably there for people to see and say hey I remember that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Didn't Thor say Asgardian stuff is not magic but super advanced technology that looks like magic?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

socialsecurity posted:

Didn't Thor say Asgardian stuff is not magic but super advanced technology that looks like magic?

Loki specifically uses magic. Same as his mother.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

socialsecurity posted:

He does, but Loki also talks about using magic constantly in the movies.

I got some strong Loki: Agent of Asgard vibes from the episode, which was fun.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

So these two things are probably related. In the comics at least the infinity stones don't work outside of the universe. The first example of this that springs to mind actually involves Loki, he makes a door leading outside the universe with the infinity stones then leaves them behind because they won't work where he's going. I assume the TVA isn't inside the universe so magic doesn't work for the same reason there . It's not voiding fundamental forces, those forces just don't exist there. Why would Loki be surprised they can achieve what they're doing without magic? Probably because he's used to living in a very magical world.

That kind of implies that magic is not inherently part of the Marvel universe though, and only exists in some of them. Which is a bit weird. Why does magic only work in the specific universe it's part of, and electromagnetism or whatever works fine from universe to universe? While I suppose your explanation that Loki is so used to magic that he has trouble understanding a place where it doesn't exist is probably the intention, I still find it kind of weird that the cityscape is what made him stumble on that, because it just doesn't look like something that is so fantastical that it would require magic to explain by his own point of reference. You'd think the time loop collar or whatever would trip him up more in that regard, given it seems more akin to the kind of thing one might expect the Time Stone to do.

On that note, if magic is just not a thing in the TVA then why does the scene in the TVA courtroom imply that the collar is what sealed Loki's ability to use magic?

socialsecurity posted:

The films originally went with that premise, but kind of dropped it over time as magic became more common. Thor is an actual God of Thunder in Ragnarok for instance, with control over it on a fundamental level. He can call it to him naturally and without the use of any kind of technology. I think the line about technology in the first film was meant to settle audiences into the concept, while further entries in the MCU broadened out the concept to make people more and more accepting of "well magic is just a thing" so that Dr. Strange or whoever feel natural after a while and don't cause people to stumble and go "hold on, that's a bridge too far for me to accept".

Apropos of nothing, but this talk of magic is making me wonder if Valkyrie in Love & Thunder will have access to the Odinforce and/or be the All Mother, with much more comprehensive magical capability akin to Odin himself as Queen of Asgard.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 10, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

socialsecurity posted:

That sounds much more like something Tony would say. Does Thor really say that at some point in a movie? I know Tony says that a lot in various comics. Who knows if he's actually right or it's just something he tells himself to cope with there being something out there he doesn't understand.

tsob posted:

That kind of implies that magic is not inherently part of the Marvel universe though, and only exists in some of them. Which is a bit weird. Why does magic only work in the specific universe it's part of, and electromagnetism or whatever works fine from universe to universe? While I suppose your explanation that Loki is so used to magic that he has trouble understanding a place where it doesn't exist I still find it kind of weird that the cityscape is what made him stumble on that, because it just doesn't look like something that is so fantastical that it would require magic to explain by his own point of reference. You'd think the time loop collar or whatever would trip him up more in that regard.

I don't know I thought the cityscape looked more impressive than Asgard which I see as kind of just classical architecture but bigger, it's just a matter of opinion I suppose. It's probably pretty hard to build something like that outside of all known reality, magic or not too

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

tsob posted:

He's an older British actor known for playing smarmy villainous assholes, so it wouldn't be surprising. He's never been a household name or anything, but the idea of him as an Older Loki and/or more villainous one does make sense. A quick look at his Wikipedia says his most recent large role that people might know him from is playing one of the major villains in Logan. I haven't even seen it, so I'm not sure just how major the role is, but it seems like a large role at least. So if you've seen that you might have a better idea of what to expect, since I assume he's not being as hammy in Logan as he would be in something like Spice World.

He's a fairly prominent actor who has a weird role in Spice World that is out of character from all of his other roles. That's the joke.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

That sounds much more like something Tony would say. Does Thor really say that at some point in a movie?

Yes, he says "Your ancestors called it magic but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s the comic explanation. As the stones are created and control the reality they were birthed in they serve no purpose outside of it and it seems the TVA is firmly outside space and time.

Which would only make sense. You can only really observe/monitor something from outside of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seeing Brad Pitt and Owen Wilson play graying older men in the past year and remembering that the first Brad Pitt movie I saw was almost 30 years ago is making me feel the cold hand of death on my shoulder.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loki seeing how miserable the regular workers were under the "absolute power" of the TVA was great. I think that moment both causes him to reflect on his own desires and see that the TVA is something that wants to take down.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Good poo poo.

I'm glad they didn't gloss over any of the horrible things Loki did, cuz people seem to love to forget them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed this, but the Cliff's Notes character development felt really cheap to me. Not as a narrative device overall - I understand using that as a plot point - more that it took a long time and a lot of terrible experiences to transform Avengers Loki into Beginning-of-Infinity-War Loki, but this one gets the same amount of development after second-hand observing the equivalent of a movie trailer on Youtube.

They should've had a time passage montage while he watched an MCU movie marathon. Then they could make a self-deprecating joke about how could they possibly expect anyone to watch all that content because it's so long and samey. :v:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Loki definitely palmed that time stone he was looking at in the drawer didn't he.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kithkar posted:

Loki definitely palmed that time stone he was looking at in the drawer didn't he.

If they only work in their own universe then it'd be basically worthless, since the chances he'll get to that universe are essentially nil. It may not even exist anymore.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Episode gave me a bunch of Legion vibes, liked it.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

live with fruit posted:

Are there any big plot holes currently open in the MCU? Seems like everything that even seems like a plot hole gets filled eventually, since the series never ends.

How did Loki know about the Avengers time heist when he died years before it happened?

I know they only put that bit in because everyone was going to say "what about the Avengers loving with time?" and they needed to handwave it away ASAP but Loki had no real way of knowing about all that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dragonstoned posted:

How did Loki know about the Avengers time heist when he died years before it happened?

I know they only put that bit in because everyone was going to say "what about the Avengers loving with time?" and they needed to handwave it away ASAP but Loki had no real way of knowing about all that.

Didn't Loki see Ant-Man and multiple copies of other avengers running around, when they came and interrupted his capture. Him putting 2&2 together isn't that much of a stretch.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

tsob posted:

If they only work in their own universe then it'd be basically worthless, since the chances he'll get to that universe are essentially nil. It may not even exist anymore.

I took that to mean they don't work wherever the TVA is specifically, given we have already seen stones work in multiple timelines in endgame (though how thats classified is pretty technical and could go either way I guess)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

live with fruit posted:

I feel like there's a difference between scrapped storylines and plot holes. Steve going back to live with Peggy seems to be more of a plot hole since it presumably is in an alternate universe, which would contradict what the cartoon said.

Steve is a plothole in general because it violates the rules of time travel established in the movie, much less anything else that came up

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dexo posted:

Didn't Loki see Ant-Man and multiple copies of other avengers running around, when they came and interrupted his capture. Him putting 2&2 together isn't that much of a stretch.

Yup, he even said he could smell the cologne of two Starks. He clearly knew what was up. Even in Endgame you can tell he is onto it because he is the only one paying attention to the case and while everyone is focused on Stark.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dexo posted:

Yeah he literally made a comment about smelling the cologne of two Tony Starks

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dexo posted:

He doesn't know who Ant-man is though, Ant-man doesn't exist* at that point. Could have been a random villain taking their opportunity to steal the tesseract for all he knew

He recognised Tony in disguise sure but its still a hell of a leap to know what they were doing and that it was specifically a time-heist and not something else that's possible in a world where magic exists.

*Edit: I just remember that Ant-Man technically would have existed at the time but it would have been the retired Hank Pimm but I doubt Loki would be aware of him either

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 10, 2021

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
The producers of Loki really loved Legion.

Loki and Lady Loki need to face off in a battle of dueling song duets. :D

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Everyone posted:

Plus, it was kind of important for Loki to see what happened at the start of Infinity War. He had to see that all his plotting/scheming/literal backstabbing led to Thanos snapping his neck like he would a chicken. And to learn that according to the TVA Loki's "glorious purpose" was to sow strife, pain and misery which let other people become their best selves.

Beyond that the point of the TVA isn't that they're "bad guys."(although any sane view should see that are. Hell Thanos's big villain plan in Endgame was "destroy this universe and make another one that fits with me." The TVA does that all the time. It's not that being don't have free will. It's that the TVA destroys any universe created by a decision that conflicts with their "sacred timeline." If you were supposed to eat at McDonald's last Tuesday and chose at try that new Thai place instead, the TVA will destroy that universe and the you that tried the new Thai place (hopefully they aren't quite that anal about things). It's that they, too, are "burdened with glorious purpose." Their purpose is to prevent the annihilation of all reality from a new multiverse war - by preventing a new multiverse. The fact that they commit genocide on the scale that they do as often as they do makes "genocide" lose all meaning. Hell, the Holocaust happened in the Sacred Timeline. So there were TVA agents making sure that it happened and destroying universes where it did not happen.

Because remember Dr. Strange's "there's one timeline where we win?" That's the TVA all the time - at least in their own minds.

To me, the TVA is giving me the same vibes as The Adjustment Bureau. "Other-wordly beings given the task of making sure everybody follows the "plan/timeline" that's written by a more powerful, yet unseen, force. And they use magical doors to teleport where they need to be. If someone learns of their exists, they're 'reset'." Hell, the movie even starred Falcon and Howard Stark!

It's a really good movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"I'll gut you like a fish Casey" has to be a Scream reference right? That's a weird reference to make.

EDIT: Yeah I love The Adjustment Bureau and was getting a lot of those vibes here as well.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 10, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

volts5000 posted:

To me, the TVA is giving me the same vibes as The Adjustment Bureau. "Other-wordly beings given the task of making sure everybody follows the "plan/timeline" that's written by a more powerful, yet unseen, force. And they use magical doors to teleport where they need to be. If someone learns of their exists, they're 'reset'." Hell, the movie even starred Falcon and Howard Stark!

It's a really good movie.

Don’t forget the actor who plays Loki!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I forgot just how crazy a certain segment of the internet gets about Tom Hiddleston/Loki and now every third reply on Twitter is already a gif of naked Loki posted by someone who changed their name to "@Hiddlebitch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Klungar posted:

Don’t forget the actor who plays Loki!

I was about to do the whole "the actor who plays Loki is Tom Hiddleston, but if you were talking about Matt Damon, technically he's the actor who plays the actor who plays Loki."

But it's entirely possible/likely that Loki sent one of his court toadies down to Earth to get Matt Damon, Luke Hemsworth and Sam Neill to come to Asgard (willingly or not) to portray Loki, Thor and Odin in Loki's goofy play.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 10, 2021