Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 90.
(SSLP Test Poster version here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Crest of Noa is supposed to only trigger for attack magic (read: black/dark magic). But, if I had to guess as to what's happening, the game has split up white magic into two groups: healing spells, and other support spells. The latter group are likely coded like attack magic, thus via a technicality, the Crest of Noa can trigger on Ward...and by extension: Silence, Warp, and Rescue. This is kind of supported by the two crests that work with white magic (Lamine and Timotheos) specifying that they only work on recovery magic, not all white magic.

Unfortunately, we'd need a dataminer to swing on by and rip open the game code to see and confirm just how this works. But if it does work like my theory says it does, this means that yes, Constance has a 20% chance to get bonus charges for nearly all of her white magic spell list on top of her 20% chance of bonus Bolting charges.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 91.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 92.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I cannot get over just how awkward the towels on the butler outfits look when the boys' arms are straight at their sides.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm paying attention!

I think the best alternate outfits are the evening wear clothes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Starting to feel like Cindered Shadows wasn't a good addition to the game (besides me intensely disliking the Wolves characters), just saying. :v:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I cannot imagine what this endgame looks like, because both other routes just go "okay Dimitri dead kbye"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

how did I miss out this LP this past year goddamn

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

frajaq posted:

how did I miss out this LP this past year goddamn

Hopefully it's been an enjoyable read!

Next update is hopefully gonna be this week. Didn't do much last week because of FF14 5.55. Gotta get my permanent Bozja buffs!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rea posted:

Hopefully it's been an enjoyable read!

its one of those few games that makes me jealous of people having a Switch so yeah I am

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just caught up on everything from Cindered Shadows on, and I can't wait to see the rest! (Also hoping all the romances are gay, c'mon Yuri)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 93.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I've gotten into situations where Duke Gerth has had to fight the demonic beasts on the lower difficulties, but I have never seen him crit, let alone double crit and wipe out an entire health bar on his own. Once again, the RNG works in mysterious ways.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Glorious Duke double crit indeed.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 94.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That Dimitri/Hapi banter gets at one of the biggest reasons I dislike the Ashen Wolves, even outside Cindered Shadows itself: I feel like they're all always two or three steps ahead of where the plot is currently at.

Dimitri's being cryptic because the plot hasn't gotten to that subject yet and IntSys evidently didn't want to spoil plot early.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 7, 2021

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
More like the Shield of FAILURE.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

This is so painful!

Just take on the paralogues at the latest possible point and they become so much nicer! They're reasonable maddening maps!

In all seriousness though, the difficulty spike with these just isn't signposted and getting your face smashed in just feels awful. That said, there are plenty of other traps on maddening related to paralogues.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Natural 20 posted:

This is so painful!

Just take on the paralogues at the latest possible point and they become so much nicer! They're reasonable maddening maps!

I know this is said at least in part in jest, but I have very particular brainworms that demand I do most side content in video games immediately upon them becoming available. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 95.

Short one today, mostly because I feel like I couldn't add more to the update without it feeling like too much.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
dimitri's no good very bad day week month year five years begins here and i'm excited

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welcome to Dimitri's Adventures In Untreated PTSD!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rea posted:

I know this is said at least in part in jest, but I have very particular brainworms that demand I do most side content in video games immediately upon them becoming available. :v:

I have those brainworms for other things and they're the worst.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As one of the few goons who's an unrepentant Blue Lions fan, something else I think is worth bearing in mind now is what Dimitri's said before about considering violence and killing inherently wrong and unjust. Dimitri abhors killing on a moral level. But as we see here, he's also deeply driven by loss and a desire for vengeance.

This is not a recipe for mental stability, and Dimitri's never had anyone in his life who can help him reconcile these parts of his psyche. One reason I find Dimitri so much more interesting than Edelgard and Claude is that if you pay attention, most people in Fodlan seem to project their own desires, hopes, and fears onto Dimitri. People who sincerely care about what Dimitri wants, his mental and emotional health, are vanishingly rare, and none have the kind of relationship to help Dimitri address the self-destructive emotional paradox that Dimitri is caught in.

Crimson Flower and Verdant Wind, as I read them, both straightforwardly vindicate their lord's beliefs, prejudices, and experiences. Side with them, and Edelgard/Claude is right and always has been right.

Azure Moon is different. Dimitri is very much not supposed to be read as being in the right all the time.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 9, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The narrative still twists itself around Dimitri but that is very much a discussion for later.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rea posted:

Update 31.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

I'm having a restless night, so I made another update.

I'll get around to Seteth, Catherine, and Cyril's writeups tomorrow. It's kind of hard to muster the motivation to do them.

e: There's two missing screenshots mid-update. I'll fix them tomorrow.
I am so peeved you didn't gush about everybody's new fashion choices. :allears:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Grouchio posted:

I am so peeved you didn't gush about everybody's new fashion choices. :allears:

I didn't comment because I thought they spoke for themselves!

I will say that I really wish the game had unique outfits in Part 1. I mean, it sort of does, but they're all variants on the same two uniforms. I actually have a friend who was turned off 3H in part because everyone just looks samey in Part 1.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rea posted:

I actually have a friend who was turned off 3H in part because everyone just looks samey in Part 1.

I, on the other hand, love this detail of 3H's visual design. Almost everyone is clearly working off the same template for their school uniform, but almost all of them have customized and personalized their uniforms, many in ways quite telling of their personalities and backgrounds.

I went to a school with uniforms as a kid for a while, and 3H does a pretty good job of showing students making use of all the leeway they can to put their own spin on the uniform.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 96.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Thank you for playing Maddening so we don't have to.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 97.

And with that, we are done with Part 1 paralogues. Part 1 will go by much quicker from here on out.

I could've done Alois and Shamir's paralogue, as well as Anna's, but...I just really didn't want to. The rewards for each just absolutely do not justify the effort, especially given that you'd have to contend with act-on-spawn-turn reinforcements. I like showing off as much as I can, but I have my limits.

We'll see Anna's paralogue in Crimson Flower, but...well, let's just say it has some pretty major differences compared to the other routes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Huh, I never knew there was additional dialogue/different mission parameters if you beat the northwest bishop in An Ocean View before the other bosses. I've always saved that bishop for last because he's so far away and everything else comes from the other directions.

Also, I approve of the Bolting cheese for Death Toll. :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
But... but... all the xp you didn't get!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rea posted:

We'll see Anna's paralogue in Crimson Flower, but...well, let's just say it has some pretty major differences compared to the other routes.

Anna's paralogue is only really viable on maddening at the final possible moment and even then you're not getting all the rewards.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 98.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
You can't get any supports with anyone who's completely locked out of your route. Trust me, I tried so hard to get Edelgard support on my second playthrough ever.

Dimitri's cutscene after Jeralt bites it is also a day or few before the others too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

quote:

I don't believe it's a sign of strength to just keep moving forward no matter what.

This, to me, is one of the most powerful lines in the game and a key to Dimitri's character and why he's so different from Rhea, Claude, and Edelgard.

In my eyes, at least, one of the big themes of the Blue Lions' story is that... sometimes, the awful things that you went through just don't mean anything. There is no greater meaning. No higher purpose. There's nothing to be learned from them. Your suffering never had a purpose. poo poo just happens sometimes, and if you let it define you, it's going to destroy you.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is move on. No catharsis. No grand resolution. No vindication. No answers. You just have to try to move on.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

McTimmy posted:

You can't get any supports with anyone who's completely locked out of your route. Trust me, I tried so hard to get Edelgard support on my second playthrough ever.

Well, that's what I get for making blind assumptions about game mechanics I haven't touched. I'll fix that.

e: Done.

Rea fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 99.

Why yes, I am trying to get Part 1 finished off once and for all quickly, why do you ask?