Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Also, the fourth Thief game is now on GOG, if they hadn't put enough bad games on their site for one day with the Witchaven stuff...

Hey I’ll have you know that Thi4f is perfectly...not great. Not even good. Adequate? Not really. Modestly adequate. Yeah. Modestly adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

awesome. i was just thinking the other day about how thief is the one classic immersive sim series i somehow never got around to

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work for a progressive far left organization here in the states and I've always been fascinated by edgelord nonsense. I played a Trump Doom mod back in 2016 that was surprisingly decent, especially given they basically turned Trump into a Duke 3d rip off. It helped too that it didn't take itself too seriously; there's a level in a Trump steak warehouse.

Blade of Agony tips the scales a bit too hard for me. I chalked up a lot of Blade of Agony's earlier offensive moments because the dev team skews eastern european and it was honestly refreshing to see Nazi propaganda actually depicted instead of glossed over. I played some of the concentration camp levels and yeah... I'm not sure why anyone thought that was anything close to a good idea.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narcissus1916 posted:

I played a Trump Doom mod back in 2016 that was surprisingly decent, especially given they basically turned Trump into a Duke 3d rip off. It helped too that it didn't take itself too seriously; there's a level in a Trump steak warehouse.

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to 'em"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My dumbass paid full price for Thi4f out of boredom so I’m going to force myself to finish it at some point.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love the MachineGames Wolf games and hope they do at least one more.

Yeah, I have to admit I find some of the complaints rather odd myself, I'm not good at stealth and have never had a problem with it in TNO and TOB (I found it was definitely more fiddly in TNC though, I will cop to that), and have had several times where I ended with a whole pile of silently killed Nazis because the stealth was just so effective that what was supposed to be a quick 'pick off some stragglers before shooting the rest' turned into me knifing an entire security checkpoint (though I did play on normal, maybe difficulty affects it super hard?). Not to say it's a game for everyone though, I'd put it closer to RtCW than Wolf3D in terms of genre.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Witchaven on GOG, I'd like to give it a try some time, but also I am still amazed at the attempt to claim that $10 is a reasonable value for Capstone games. Holy poo poo, I'd be ashamed to charge people $10 for Witchaven.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would just be really disappointed if they tease us with killing hitler in youngblood and then we never get wolf 3 to actually do it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

catlord posted:

Anyway, I'm glad to see Witchaven on GOG, I'd like to give it a try some time, but also I am still amazed at the attempt to claim that $10 is a reasonable value for Capstone games. Holy poo poo, I'd be ashamed to charge people $10 for Witchaven.

They’re charging $10 for Corridor 7. Wolf 3D + Spear of Destiny is $8 and that’s already overpriced considering Doom is $6.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

New Colossus lost me when it decided to not give me a silent pistol until several hours into the game, making stealth exponentially harder than it should be.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

david_a posted:

They’re charging $10 for Corridor 7. Wolf 3D + Spear of Destiny is $8 and that’s already overpriced considering Doom is $6.

i was about to make a point about demand but that is dumb, so instead

What do we think is the most pirated retro fps

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's been a while since I've played the Wolfensteins, but isn't there no penalty for breaking stealth beyond having a bunch more enemies shooting at you? You really don't have to play it like the Thief series if you don't want to.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tim Thomas posted:

What do we think is the most pirated retro fps

ToeJam & Earl for the Sega Menacer, duh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdozhGMPmfM

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone play doombringer yet? On the one hand the idea of a Quake 3-like campaign is kind of neat, on the other it looks sorta bland.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ponzicar posted:

It's been a while since I've played the Wolfensteins, but isn't there no penalty for breaking stealth beyond having a bunch more enemies shooting at you? You really don't have to play it like the Thief series if you don't want to.

That's actually a pretty big penalty in a game where the shooting kinda sucks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The shooting is great in those games though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Protip for Thief 2: with the latest fan patch you can force HBAO through the Nvidia Control Panel which makes the dark shadowy environments look even shadowier

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

interestingly the '3D Realms giving ROTT to nazis' thing got raised in civvie's discord yesterday, and he hadn't heard about it, despite what i imagine is a reasonable relationship with 3drealms, given he gets early demos of stuff.

the fact that they didn't tell one of the only youtubers who gives a poo poo about ROTT about the remaster makes it seem like they know they're doing something shady

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i didnt mind new colossus that much. theres obviously been some big chunks cut out of the story but you can just ignore all the bad immersive sim poo poo and there isnt a level where you very slowly drive a submarine through a sewer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love seeing people call it Thi4f when that was a pre-release gimmick and the game is just Thief.

I also, despite beating it, just learned yesterday that despite you playing as Garrett teaming up with a female apprentice thief and having a magic eye in a semi magic semi technological city of late middle ages is not the same Garrett as thief 1-3 but is set in the same universe just like 300 years after the events of thief 3

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barudak posted:

I love seeing people call it Thi4f when that was a pre-release gimmick and the game is just Thief.

Quite possibly to differentiate it from the other game called Thief. Almost intentionally, even.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Quite possibly to differentiate it from the other game called Thief. Almost intentionally, even.

You mean Th1ef? because Thief is better than it is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My favorite part of Thi4f is the inexplicable furry art

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Thunf
Twof
Threef
Thourf

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Twof: The Dentists Must Pay

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

i didnt mind new colossus that much. theres obviously been some big chunks cut out of the story but you can just ignore all the bad immersive sim poo poo and there isnt a level where you very slowly drive a submarine through a sewer.

Nightfire?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

I also, despite beating it, just learned yesterday that despite you playing as Garrett teaming up with a female apprentice thief and having a magic eye in a semi magic semi technological city of late middle ages is not the same Garrett as thief 1-3 but is set in the same universe just like 300 years after the events of thief 3
I’ve heard that, and supposedly it’s supposed to be conveyed to you throughout the game. But I’ve only gotten a little past the first mission both times I’ve played. Wouldn’t surprise me to find out they botched telling that story along with everything else.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
No one ever really talks about thief 3.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fallom posted:

My favorite part of Thi4f is the inexplicable furry art
I'm sorry what

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm another person in the "Wolfenstein TNO did not impress" camp. I loved the characters and the story, and the art design is real nice too, but the actual moment to moment shooting was often really mushy or tedious. I maintain that the game struggles to find its footing because it has to somehow balance between stealth, cover-shooting (how many people even remember it has cover-shooting as an option I wonder), and run and gun action and lots of little choices made mean something that's perfectly fine in one context sucks a lot in others. (For example: Needing to manually pick up health and ammo being perfectly fine while sneaking but is a pain in the rear end in big firefights. Overheal is a mechanic that's important for run and gun but makes no sense in stealth or behind cover.) Also wasn't a fan of the completely unnecessary "this is a game from the 2010s" perk system.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 10, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/dhindes/status/1402162033496186882?s=20

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I mean I think that's pretty clear, and yeah I guess it's not gonna.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Murdoch posted:

I'm another person in the "Wolfenstein TNO did not impress" camp. I loved the characters and the story, and the art design is real nice too, but the actual moment to moment shooting was often really mushy or tedious. I maintain that the game struggles to find its footing because it has to somehow balance between stealth, cover-shooting (how many people even remember it has cover-shooting as an option I wonder), and run and gun action and lots of little choices made mean something that's perfectly fine in one context sucks a lot in others. (For example: Needing to manually pick up health and ammo being perfectly fine while sneaking but is a pain in the rear end in big firefights. Overheal is a mechanic that's important for run and gun but makes no sense in stealth or behind cover.) Also wasn't a fan of the completely unnecessary "this is a game from the 2010s" perk system.

Oh definitely the cover mechanics in that game sucked rear end, that sort of thing only really works in games with regenerating health(and I mean full regeneration not the weird halfway version these newer Wolfenstein games use), if you are going with a normal health system it needs to be a proper run & gun system where you're either fairly tanky and can eat a lot of damage before really being in danger or you need to be able to easily dodge most forms of damage, and the Machine Games Wolfenstein games fail miserably in every respect in that regard

Honestly I'm kinda depressed now that I ended up wasting about 40 bucks of my very limited income on these half-assed games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ve heard that, and supposedly it’s supposed to be conveyed to you throughout the game. But I’ve only gotten a little past the first mission both times I’ve played. Wouldn’t surprise me to find out they botched telling that story along with everything else.

Apparently you can acquire Garrett (original)'s eye as a treasure and I remember doing that, but I think the story was so sloppy and so many loading screens I just assumed it was like, spooky magic time travel. Its real bad, its just a series of characters setting up their alarm reminders to double cross you.

To be frank, the whole game reminds me a bunch of FEAR2 where a game that wasn't supposed to be a sequel becomes a sequel and then the plot becomes this discordant repetition of the earlier title.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Maybe thief is kind of like zelda and people just call their kids garrett or constantine sometimes and then it all happens again every few centuries

Can't wait for wet thief

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thief 4's final mission was on a boat so presumably we are just a mission where you become an animal and one with a motion control gimmick away from Thief of the Wild.

The most memorable mission in Thief 4 is the loading screen room between two areas of town. And I don't mean the loading screens (2) themselves, I mean the room in between each loading screen

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the shooting in wolfenstein TNO was not enjoyable to me. half the guns had to be balanced with dual wielding in mind, so they were like half as strong as they should have been to make up for that. the later enemies all felt like you were shooting one of the metal barrels in half life 2, the non-exploding kind.

it was most fun in the early game when you had normal guns and melee kills against normal-ish nazi troopers. later on when it was all the armour wearing dudes and ubersoldats it just got into a slog. at least the ubersoldats were minibosses, but the just beefy armoured guys were unfun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I liked the idea of stealth being focused on killing a single enemy that could spawn reinforcements first, to make the rest of the area easier. It's just that, well, the actual combat, while fun at the time, had its pants pulled down in front of its high school crush by Doom 2016.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The shooting itself was enjoyable. The combat itself, not so much. AI was average/mediocre, enemy variety is poor, gameplay variation in the different encounters was minimal, several weapons had a similar role...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm sorry what

https://twitter.com/shugoscav/status/1330975825131401220?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

I liked the idea of stealth being focused on killing a single enemy that could spawn reinforcements first, to make the rest of the area easier. It's just that, well, the actual combat, while fun at the time, had its pants pulled down in front of its high school crush by Doom 2016.

I think of them as brothers and while Billy is more emotionally available and established people can't help but be drawn to Flynns unstable bad boy energy