Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

leper khan posted:

Nah Boston is just like that. Move out to SF for the Megabucks or Austin/NY/Seattle for not quite as much but still more.

Boston has a higher end market, but there's not as much upward pressure as you see in the primary markets, so there are some places that pay lower as well. @Pollyanna, start interviewing and you can tell your boss :wrongcity:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

leper khan posted:

Nah Boston is just like that. Move out to SF for the Megabucks or Austin/NY/Seattle for not quite as much but still more.

I've gotten offers for 150k in Boston with 4-5 years experience, so 110 is low. The range I've seen when interviewing is roughly 130-160.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Better yet, head on over to the SA Code Discord!

How do I get an invite to this?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

TheCog posted:

I've gotten offers for 150k in Boston with 4-5 years experience, so 110 is low. The range I've seen when interviewing is roughly 130-160.

Yeah, 140k seems to be about where I'd expect for a senior title. The market has been really moving the last 3-4 years.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Huh, that’s similar to Austin, I thought Boston was higher cost of living?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I left my last company a month and a half ago for a substantial jump in salary (for the UK anyway). One of my old colleagues asked what I was on now and I was honest. Seems he past that info around as now 4 devs have announced they are leaving and my old manager is pissed off at me. They are a few months away from launching and this might set back that by months :(

It's not my fault their retainment policy sucks, but I can't help but feel a little guilty.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sounds like they made their own bed by choosing to pay their employees below market value.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yeah. Don't feel bad for helping your fellow devs be informed.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

csammis posted:

In fact there was news a few weeks ago about a Taiwanese foundry exploring opening a factory in Phoenix even among the current troubles.

If you're thinking of TSMC, they're already looking at expanding after they're done with the new fabs. Definitely won't flood in Phoenix, but might just catch fire in the sun :v:

The Dark Wind posted:

How do I get an invite to this?

https://discord.gg/8SvYE7YY

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your manager is mad because they were underpaying your peers? That sounds like a management problem. There's a real easy way to prevent this, and it's to pay all your employees fair wages. The correct response to them being mad at you was to kick them in the shins, this isn't your fault

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Your manager is mad because they were underpaying your peers? That sounds like a management problem. There's a real easy way to prevent this, and it's to pay all your employees fair wages. The correct response to them being mad at you was to kick them in the shins, this isn't your fault

:yeah:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Sometimes, if you and your coworkers complain enough, management hires a consulting firm to tell them what they should be paying. That firm uses a delusionary sleight-of-hand to decide that your company isn’t actually competing with Boston salaries, since it’s actually located in metro-Boston, and that none of you are actually underpaid.

Then the best employees slowly quit.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The taboo against discussing what you make benefits employers trying to underpay employees.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

lifg posted:

Sometimes, if you and your coworkers complain enough, management hires a consulting firm to tell them what they should be paying. That firm uses a delusionary sleight-of-hand to decide that your company isn’t actually competing with Boston salaries, since it’s actually located in metro-Boston, and that none of you are actually underpaid.

This was my previous company.

They paid some firm for market salary data to align compensation with. When I tried to get myself and my reports raises because I knew we were all underpaid and showed some data about it, they said that everything was inline with their fancy expensive market data reports. I'm sure it was also looking at trailing data years behind current market.

It’s like they love paying consultants to lie to them and confirm their biases.

I ended up leaving for a 30% base raise, plus a ton of stock that made it more like a 100%+ raise. I was candid about the comp difference in my exit and they thought I was lying to them lol. Like no jackoffs I've been telling you the truth all along, your comp market consultants have been the ones lying to you.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 10, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

lifg posted:

My last job hired one of these consulting firms to do a market study of comp.

The company did not do any stock-based comp, it was simply salary and bonus. They cited a set of “peer companies” from the study, saying they were in line from a comp standpoint.

The reality was that these companies all also gave equity packages that were as big as the cash component, but when interpreting the study my company just cherry picked the cash part of it and called it good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheCog posted:

150k base or total? Cause RSUs n stuff matter, and I both get the former and have ISOs from when I first joined (most of which I’ve since dumped).

Also despite having been a Software Engineer since 2015, 2 of those years were spent in a super dead-end job in a crappy insurance company, and 1 year spent somewhere where my direct manager was kind of a jerk and where I wasn’t afforded opportunities to advance.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 10, 2021

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Also despite having been a Software Engineer since 2015, 2 of those years were spent in a super dead-end job in a crappy insurance company, and 1 year spent somewhere where my direct manager was kind of a jerk and where I wasn’t afforded opportunities to advance.

Neither of those really matter when figuring out what you're worth. You have 6 YOE to your next job and that's how you sell yourself.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

My last job hired one of these consulting firms to do a market study of comp.

The company did not do any stock-based comp, it was simply salary and bonus. They cited a set of “peer companies” from the study, saying they were in line from a comp standpoint.

The reality was that these companies all also gave equity packages that were as big as the cash component, but when interpreting the study my company just cherry picked the cash part of it and called it good.

Same thing happened at a former company. Even though we were in downtown Toronto our salaries were compared to "peer companies in the Greater Toronto Area" . At least after the audit they stopped paying all the women less.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Hughlander posted:

Neither of those really matter when figuring out what you're worth. You have 6 YOE to your next job and that's how you sell yourself.

I struggle a lot determining my desired comp level. I have 5.5 years but only about 4 of those are "good". The job before my last was abysmal. I did quite literally nothing. It was 18 months of completing one project I can talk about.

I'm getting decent at DS+A questions (lol I won't raise the shitstorm that happened in this thread last time I talked about interview prep) but system design interviews are still pretty arbitrarily complex to me so I'm not sure if this will downlevel me when I interview.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t tell anyone this when you’re interviewing. Sell yourself and your strengths. You’re self selecting out when you cut yourself short, let someone else do that

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Pollyanna posted:

150k base or total? Cause RSUs n stuff matter, and I both get the former and have ISOs from when I first joined (most of which I’ve since dumped).

Base. Many of these places were startupish and in those cases I tend to ignore stock because its just monopoly money.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What I read was,

"I spent two years leveling up my skills until I outgrew the position, and in another job there wasn't enough growth opportunities, so I moved on to bigger and better things. End result is I have a pretty wife wide variety of experiences working with a lot of different management styles, and have learned to be self reliant when it comes to ambiguous projects and goals. Also I have 6 years experience doing front end design, have you heard of this crazy functional language variant of JavaScript? Watch me do a binary tree in it in seven lines of code! Stop throwing money at me"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

What I read was,
:words:

This guy interviews

downout
Jul 6, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

Don’t tell anyone this when you’re interviewing. Sell yourself and your strengths. You’re self selecting out when you cut yourself short, let someone else do that

Yah, this is the way to go. Don't ever negotiate yourself down. Between impostor syndrome and just generally interview fuckery there is no need to sell yourself short. There are already plenty of artificial barriers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I have leveled up a little from what I have looked at so far from Designing Data Intensive applications and want to vouch for that recommendation. In the past week, I have noticed when various sites gently caress something up and I have a impression why. Like, why Gmail will say something I sent is still a draft and stuff like that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I felt like that too when I learned about the CAP theorem and how different systems make different choices. A lot of weird behavior on websites suddenly made sense.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The major lesson I took away from DDIA is "For the love of God, don't make a distributed system."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Doom Mathematic posted:

The major lesson I took away from DDIA is "For the love of God, don't make a distributed system."

Many companies assume they must build stuff like Facebook or Google do and so wildly overcomplicate systems that could be done much more simply with one big Postgres database and a couple of load-balanced VMs.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Every system that operates in The Cloud at this point is to some extent "distributed". "Don't jump into forcing microservices for everything immediately" and "only move the most egregious bottlenecks to a microservice architecture and do it very slowly when absolutely necessary" are very good takeaways for most people though!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

Also never ever use timestamps for anything. Or clocks. Because you will get it wrong and everything will go to hell.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Every web site is a distributed system even if the server is running on a single machine in a single process.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

Every web site is a distributed system even if the server is running on a single machine in a single process.

"Distributed" is a range, not a boolean, and in practical conversation means something different now than what it meant in 1985.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Every system that operates in The Cloud at this point is to some extent "distributed". "Don't jump into forcing microservices for everything immediately" and "only move the most egregious bottlenecks to a microservice architecture and do it very slowly when absolutely necessary" are very good takeaways for most people though!

Yeah, I’ve kinda learned this at my current work. We’ve moved to a microservice-heavy architecture and like every major domain model in our workflow has its own service now. A service for Users, a service for Call Centers, a service for Ads, a service for Images, etc. I still don’t know why or what it buys us.

Frankly, I think you have to prove up front that you deserve a microservice architecture or distributed system. You can’t just do it for the gently caress of it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I’ve kinda learned this at my current work. We’ve moved to a microservice-heavy architecture and like every major domain model in our workflow has its own service now. A service for Users, a service for Call Centers, a service for Ads, a service for Images, etc. I still don’t know why or what it buys us.

Frankly, I think you have to prove up front that you deserve a microservice architecture or distributed system. You can’t just do it for the gently caress of it.

If they're well designed and use versioned APIs, it's so you can easily roll out changes to a single service without disrupting other services and reduces the cognitive load to work on because each service is a small, self-contained entity with a clearly defined scope and a relatively simple input/output model.

If you do it poorly it's far worse than a monolith because you have all the problems of a monolith combined with all of the problems of microservices. I call it a distributed monolith.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

If they're well designed and use versioned APIs, it's so you can easily roll out changes to a single service without disrupting other services and reduces the cognitive load to work on because each service is a small, self-contained entity with a clearly defined scope and a relatively simple input/output model.

If you do it poorly it's far worse than a monolith because you have all the problems of a monolith combined with all of the problems of microservices. I call it a distributed monolith.

Everyone does it poorly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Roadie posted:

Everyone does it poorly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Roadie posted:

Everyone does it poorly.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Basically any non-trivial application, at least in my experience, has to start worrying about a lot of the situations described in that book as soon as it's running multiple application servers, or has background jobs, or any other of the many things where concurrency is a concern.

I've spent a good amount of time at my current job for a number of years working towards migrating a large Rails monolith to a more distributed service-based architecture. I won't make any claims that we haven't done it poorly, but I will say that it functions far better, and at substantially higher scale, than the monolith we started with. So maybe we just built it less poorly than we built the monolith.

We're not Google or Facebook scale, but we're certainly large enough that the monolithic Rails model didn't work, there's enough variety in the systems we are running that at the very least _some_ of them must be deployed separately to have any semblance of efficiency due to differing resource requirements. I think the idea that microservice architecture is the "right" one is flawed, but I also think the idea that it's unnecessary and harmful is also flawed, as with nearly any other thing in our industry that has tradeoffs.

Personally I think the "Everyone does it poorly" statement is just broadly a statement about software; everyone does everything poorly, computers are a gently caress, and so it ceases to be a reasonable argument against any particular way of building software poorly, without more specifics.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Isn’t Basecamp strictly no-microservices? How do they scale their application?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
ORM-based systems inherently suck in a lot of ways, so they're kind of a bad comparison point to use in the first place. A monolith with Rails or Django or what have you is going to be far, far less performant than a monolith with reasonably competent hand-written SQL, even with an otherwise identical architecture. As long as you're being smart with your queries, you can work with hundreds of thousands to millions of rows before you even need to put serious attention into sharding and read replicas, let alone anything more complicated than that.

Steve French posted:

there's enough variety in the systems we are running that at the very least _some_ of them must be deployed separately to have any semblance of efficiency due to differing resource requirements.

I'm not convinced that this gets you anything all that useful compared to, say, just having a monolith with multiple instances with different resource allotments and being smart about what workloads you route to which instances.