Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watching Joe Biden and Boris Johnson fight is like watching two Kaiju have it out.

E: hmmm that's a bad snipe. Weird that there's no month with 29 days tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That family guy episode where the octogenarian pedophile fights the nazi.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol yeah there it is

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As an addendum, been mucking about with the nukemap to check to see what might happen.

Currently with the biggest yield bomb in the Russian arsenal the British library would just be loving gone, and a lot of other archives would be heavily damaged.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

The nuke map is really interesting in a morbid sort of way.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

February is doing the best it can.

We should have 13 months of 28 days though. When I become God-Emperor of Earth this shall come to pass.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Why when there's a bin on the village green or in the high street or wherever, is it just a bin? And not a variety recycling one like we all have at home?

I know it all ends up in a container in Turkey or wherever but I'd like to keep up the illusion a little when I'm out picnicking.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Almost every month has 29 days.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I looked into that legal defence fund for Corbyn thing from a while ago. They've got 370k sitting in a go fund me account but can't start a bank account for some reason? Because banks won't let new businesses start current accounts? Bit weird.

I had an update from them this morning, actually. Sounds like they're going to just transfer the money to Corbyn directly, to be used either for legal fees or donated to the War on Want if it turns out to not be needed.

quote:

Hello my dear friends and comrades.

It's been quite some time since I've been able to update you all on what is happening with Jeremy's Legal Fund. I can only apologise for this, and I hope that when I explain what's been happening, you will understand the reasons for this.

As you know from my previous updates, JBC Defence Ltd has spent months attempting to open a bank account to receive your donations. Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful for two reasons.

The first is that many banks are not taking new applications for business current accounts.

The second reason is that where we were able to submit applications to a small number of UK banks, all of these were declined without any reason given.

GoFundMe has agreed in principle for the money to be transferred directly to Jeremy as the legal beneficiary of the fund, to be used for the express purpose of his legal defence against any libel claim brought by John Ware.

However, as you may know, Jeremy is facing another legal challenge in the form of a libel case brought by Richard Millett. I would very much like Jeremy to have the option to use some of the funds we have raised to help with any costs in relation to this case as well, should he need it.

In the event that these legal threats go away at some stage in the future, Jeremy has indicated that he would like to have the option to donate any surplus funds from this campaign to War on Want, a registered charity that fights against the root causes of poverty and human rights violations, as part of the worldwide movement for global justice.

If you do not wish for your donations to be used for either of the above, please be assured that you can request a refund of your donation over the next two weeks by contacting GoFundMe's team here:

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000288632

There are no plans to close the Fund so JBC Defence Ltd. will continue to provide support to Jeremy in matters relating to the Fund, and of course I will continue to update you via GoFundMe for the foreseeable future.

I am very grateful to you all for your unstinting support and generosity as we stand united behind Jeremy, a man of humility, integrity and honesty and in my view one of the greatest politicians of our age.

My love and gratitude to each and every one of you who has made this possible.

Carole xxx

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Why does no Bank want 300 thousand pounds?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Either there's some sinister conspiracy to deny Corbyn legal funds, or the people running it are just really disorganised when it comes to filling in applications correctly, take your pick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Noxville posted:

It’s been said before but ugh, gently caress BrewDog

https://twitter.com/punkswpurpose/status/1402724680637747200?s=21

https://twitter.com/WerewolfBeer/status/1402754378365345797?s=19

"Growth journey"and "high performance culture" are crimes worthy of collapsing the entire company, even without the other allegations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why does no Bank want 300 thousand pounds?

I imagine it's related to not being able to adequately demonstrate where funds are coming from.
I don't know what level of detail GoFundMe provide to the fund administrator.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

As an addendum, been mucking about with the nukemap to check to see what might happen.

Currently with the biggest yield bomb in the Russian arsenal the British library would just be loving gone, and a lot of other archives would be heavily damaged.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

The nuke map is really interesting in a morbid sort of way.

The British Library looks like it's pretty solidly-built - even assuming that the brick facing is non-structural and only a dual course that's good for 2 PSI overpressure, but glancing at the cover of a book about the design (as much research as I'm prepared to do) strongly suggests it's reinforced concrete behind those bricks which would make sense given the large internal spaces. That means it's good for at least 5 PSI (probably considerably better because of all the weird angles and lack of windows) which is pretty loving robust - that's a 100kT weapon at 2 kilometres away. Bear in mind that, counterintuitively, nuclear weapons yields have actually dropped over the years - in the 60s when all you could do is lob a nuke in the general direction of an enemy city, you wanted them big as gently caress, which is where you get poo poo like the Tsar Bomba from. The fact you can fit 4-12 smaller bombs on a single missile - and target each of them within a few hundred metres - means you don't need the biggest gently caress-off warheads any more. So - assuming a modern decapitation strategy that would lob a couple of MIRVs each at Whitehall and known command and control sites in London, the British Library could probably survive. Now a more widespread counter-value campaign that would also target major transport hubs would gently caress it right up, what with being nestled between two major rail terminuses.

Assuming for some reason the Russians wanted to knock out as many of our museums as possible with one shot, a Topol - their largest still-deployed warhead, at 800kT, dropped around High Street Kensington, would give 5PSI overpressure at the British Library, 12 PSI at Museumopolis at South Kensington (and they're already falling apart anyway) so they'd be gone, and 4PSI at the National Archives at Kew, which would *probably* survive. The British Museum (8 PSI) and Imperial War Museum (6) would also be gone. The Museum of London would probably survive 5 PSI because of all the buildings around it, but most importantly the Horniman Museum would be fine.

Now if we pissed off the Chinese enough, they still have big old boys in their arsenal, and a Dong Feng in the same place would obviously wipe out all of the above and also the RAF Museum at Hendon, the William Morris museum in Walthamstow, the Crossness Pumping Station, and also Chessington World Of Adventures.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why when there's a bin on the village green or in the high street or wherever, is it just a bin? And not a variety recycling one like we all have at home?

I know it all ends up in a container in Turkey or wherever but I'd like to keep up the illusion a little when I'm out picnicking.

Almost every month has 29 days.

In central LONDON some street bins have two sides, one for recyclables and one for general waste.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The British Library looks like it's pretty solidly-built - even assuming that the brick facing is non-structural and only a dual course that's good for 2 PSI overpressure, but glancing at the cover of a book about the design (as much research as I'm prepared to do) strongly suggests it's reinforced concrete behind those bricks which would make sense given the large internal spaces. That means it's good for at least 5 PSI (probably considerably better because of all the weird angles and lack of windows) which is pretty loving robust - that's a 100kT weapon at 2 kilometres away. Bear in mind that, counterintuitively, nuclear weapons yields have actually dropped over the years - in the 60s when all you could do is lob a nuke in the general direction of an enemy city, you wanted them big as gently caress, which is where you get poo poo like the Tsar Bomba from. The fact you can fit 4-12 smaller bombs on a single missile - and target each of them within a few hundred metres - means you don't need the biggest gently caress-off warheads any more. So - assuming a modern decapitation strategy that would lob a couple of MIRVs each at Whitehall and known command and control sites in London, the British Library could probably survive. Now a more widespread counter-value campaign that would also target major transport hubs would gently caress it right up, what with being nestled between two major rail terminuses.

Assuming for some reason the Russians wanted to knock out as many of our museums as possible with one shot, a Topol - their largest still-deployed warhead, at 800kT, dropped around High Street Kensington, would give 5PSI overpressure at the British Library, 12 PSI at Museumopolis at South Kensington (and they're already falling apart anyway) so they'd be gone, and 4PSI at the National Archives at Kew, which would *probably* survive. The British Museum (8 PSI) and Imperial War Museum (6) would also be gone. The Museum of London would probably survive 5 PSI because of all the buildings around it, but most importantly the Horniman Museum would be fine.

Now if we pissed off the Chinese enough, they still have big old boys in their arsenal, and a Dong Feng in the same place would obviously wipe out all of the above and also the RAF Museum at Hendon, the William Morris museum in Walthamstow, the Crossness Pumping Station, and also Chessington World Of Adventures.

This is fascinating. What would happen to the bins?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

sebzilla posted:

February is doing the best it can.

We should have 13 months of 28 days though. When I become God-Emperor of Earth this shall come to pass.

13's prime and too hard to divide neatly. My god emperor pitch: 12 months of 28 days, with two intercalary days between each as mandatory public holidays, except December into January, which will have a seven day intercalary festival (leap day will go here).

Basically the French Republican Calendar but with 7 day weeks.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/WerewolfBeer/status/1402754378365345797?s=19

"Growth journey"and "high performance culture" are crimes worthy of collapsing the entire company, even without the other allegations.

It’s basically TechBro ‘disrupter’ culture but applied to a craft beer company and it should come as no surprise to anyone who sees all their marketing guff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm getting major "if you can't handle our toxic workplace culture you can simply resign" vibes from that. Very much missing the point.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
THUR TEEAKIN WUR SAHSIDGES AFF US SOTHAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bahgawd::britain:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
With the Japanese trade deal and the sausage wars, I begin to wonder if Liz Truss foresaw the political importance of pork markets.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

In central LONDON some street bins have two sides, one for recyclables and one for general waste.

This is fascinating. What would happen to the bins?

Well, the most common type of two-sided bins I've seen are plastic - as such they're *extremely* resilient to overpressure because of course they can just flex. Surprisingly nobody seems to have actually quantified this but I'm just going to go ahead and assume they're good up to 20 PSI, the same level as specifically-hardened structures, meaning they would need to be specifically targeted by ground-bursts to be destroyed by blast (some loss of contents might occur at lower pressures).

However being plastic they're much more vulnerable to heat damage. Nukemap for some reason only seems to care about thermal damage to boring old humans, not bins, but assuming the 12.4 calories/cm2 number they use for third-degree burns is enough to melt the bin (in fact I think they'd survive that, but probably be quite deformed by it) then and airburst of our standard 100kT bomb would destroy bins at 5 kms, the 800kT Topol could take them out at 11 kms, and the Dong Feng would cause binpocalypse at 24.5 kms (notice that even though the yield is going up massively the bin-destruction doesn't scale linearly, because of the square-cube law).

This of course assumes a perfectly flat plane; thermal damage is entirely dependent on being in line-of-sight of the initial flash. Buildings blocking that line-of-sight means - assuming that they're not subsequently damaged by burning or falling buildings - many, many of these humble bins would actually survive even the most intense bombardment.

There are also the more ornate cast-iron bins I've seen around Westminster and Greenwich. Now I'm not sure exactly what grade of iron they're made of, but as I've seen one shrug off getting hit by a coach that must have been doing 30, I'm going to assume that they're going to not even notice anything less than actually being in the fireball, which would require again either a specifically-targeted weapon or a Tsar-Bomba scale weapon. All else will fall, but these brave receptacles - normally with a royal crest on them - will soldier on alone into the post-apocalyptic future.

Looking forwards to this post being used as a source for a Guardian article called JEMBLY BRCYN WORSE THAN NUCLEAR WAR SAYS EXPERT

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
its weird to see biden doing something good even if its just becasue he decided he was irish when he was 34

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i wonder what people like big sammy would do if it came down to a choice between voting for irish unity or having to eat quorn

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well, the most common type of two-sided bins I've seen are plastic - as such they're *extremely* resilient to overpressure because of course they can just flex. Surprisingly nobody seems to have actually quantified this but I'm just going to go ahead and assume they're good up to 20 PSI, the same level as specifically-hardened structures, meaning they would need to be specifically targeted by ground-bursts to be destroyed by blast (some loss of contents might occur at lower pressures).

However being plastic they're much more vulnerable to heat damage. Nukemap for some reason only seems to care about thermal damage to boring old humans, not bins, but assuming the 12.4 calories/cm2 number they use for third-degree burns is enough to melt the bin (in fact I think they'd survive that, but probably be quite deformed by it) then and airburst of our standard 100kT bomb would destroy bins at 5 kms, the 800kT Topol could take them out at 11 kms, and the Dong Feng would cause binpocalypse at 24.5 kms (notice that even though the yield is going up massively the bin-destruction doesn't scale linearly, because of the square-cube law).

This of course assumes a perfectly flat plane; thermal damage is entirely dependent on being in line-of-sight of the initial flash. Buildings blocking that line-of-sight means - assuming that they're not subsequently damaged by burning or falling buildings - many, many of these humble bins would actually survive even the most intense bombardment.

There are also the more ornate cast-iron bins I've seen around Westminster and Greenwich. Now I'm not sure exactly what grade of iron they're made of, but as I've seen one shrug off getting hit by a coach that must have been doing 30, I'm going to assume that they're going to not even notice anything less than actually being in the fireball, which would require again either a specifically-targeted weapon or a Tsar-Bomba scale weapon. All else will fall, but these brave receptacles - normally with a royal crest on them - will soldier on alone into the post-apocalyptic future.

Looking forwards to this post being used as a source for a Guardian article called JEMBLY BRCYN WORSE THAN NUCLEAR WAR SAYS EXPERT

Thank you! It is reassuring to know that in the case of a nuclear holocaust I will still have a receptacle for my rubbish.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol i was skimming hte recovered waffleimages randomizer and found this

which one of you was this

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

lol i was skimming hte recovered waffleimages randomizer and found this

which one of you was this

About half of this thread voted Lib Dem in 2010, lol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

13's prime and too hard to divide neatly. My god emperor pitch: 12 months of 28 days, with two intercalary days between each as mandatory public holidays, except December into January, which will have a seven day intercalary festival (leap day will go here).

Just adopt the Shire calendar imo

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Noxville posted:

It’s basically TechBro ‘disrupter’ culture but applied to a craft beer company and it should come as no surprise to anyone who sees all their marketing guff.

Gets better. They're 'inviting' staff to sign an open rebuttal letter by 10:30am. Which is exactly as cringe as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/FairHospitality/status/1402918707043749888?s=20

But it's alright, it didn't come from James, it came from "our people team".

https://twitter.com/BrewDogJames/status/1402920717637804033?s=20

There's a huge rebellion going on in the Brewdog shareholders forum.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 10, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

Thank you! It is reassuring to know that in the case of a nuclear holocaust I will still have a receptacle for my rubbish.
All the recycling in London seems to get incinerated anyway, so from a process scale perspective there'd be no difference.

Londoners will just have to hope that it never becomes 20p cheaper for Serco to detonate a warhead and pay the fines than collect the rubbish and run the incinerators.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bump_fn posted:

its weird to see biden doing something good even if its just becasue he decided he was irish when he was 34

It's fun to gently caress with Britain

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

All the recycling in London seems to get incinerated anyway, so from a process scale perspective there'd be no difference.

Londoners will just have to hope that it never becomes 20p cheaper for Serco to detonate a warhead and pay the fines than collect the rubbish and run the incinerators.

Veolia have a big recycling centre where they pull all the ferrous metal out of Tower Hamlets and a few other London borough's recycling before shipping the rest down to Thurrock where it mostly gets burned.

TBH apart from metals, and *maybe* some fabrics and plastics, incinerating for energy production is probably the least environmentally-damaging thing we could be doing with our non-organic rubbish.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently we're having a partial solar eclipse at the moment, and I can't help but feel that maybe this should have been mentioned at some point by our fearless media at some point *before* going "Oh yeah there's an eclipse today" just as it started.

(This is of course assuming it's actually a predicted eclipse and god hasn't actually sent a dragon to eat the sun because we've paid no attention whatsoever to the plagues, fires, floods, volcanos, and literal swarms of insects he's been sending recently)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Growth journey" and "high performance culture" are crimes worthy of collapsing the entire company, even without the other allegations.

Can't wait to see "Growth journey" IPA on shelves in Asda

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Maybe we should just move the planet a bit so it orbits the sun in a round number. Or I guess spin a bit faster or slower so the days fit in better to the existing year we have. Presumably the nukes would be involved in achieving this which would be putting them to good use for a common goal. Of a tidier calendar.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Leap year days should be bank holidays. What's the point otherwise?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just found out about the eclipse today when everyone at work went outside to stare at it with their naked eyes lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I stared. At some clouds.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Leap year days should be bank holidays. What's the point otherwise?

Leap year days should be everyone-but-banks holidays.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think it was the Roman Republic that made a calendar which doesn't add up to a whole year. They just said "gently caress it, we'll get nothing done in winter anyway so let's just not count days during it."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Veolia have a big recycling centre where they pull all the ferrous metal out of Tower Hamlets
They used to blame that on the drugs and the hoodies, and before that some racial words, but this makes more sense.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think it was the Roman Republic that made a calendar which doesn't add up to a whole year. They just said "gently caress it, we'll get nothing done in winter anyway so let's just not count days during it."
The Abrahamic religions need a calendar to know what day fixed observances happen on. But ISO already makes Muslims and Jews and Orthodox Christians have a separate civil and liturgical calendar so we could just do that also for Western Christians and have a World calendar or republican calendar or an eh fuckit calendar for civil use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Reveilled posted:

So 11 30-day months and one 35-day month, effectively. But with a whole pile of days that exist outside of the Mon-Sun week, including a full week in mega-December.

I do like that it neatly covers the usual Christmas-New Year lull and takes away the issues of whether or not you have to go in for work in between the two.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Yeah, that's (part of) why our numbered months are all hosed up, and the calendar year doesn't overlap neatly with seasons and so on.