Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Lopez just climbed Ventoux a minute faster than Armstrong in 2002 and Froome in 2013.

the tour is going to be so gassed up lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

van der poel a bit good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He's absurd

Alaphilippe almost put Matthews in the barriers there

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Giro was insane enough. Full gas for most stages from the start. The tour is going to be bonkers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ineos finishing TdF stages 1-2-3, Mapei style --
Brits: are white boys
everyone else: :siren: :siren: :siren:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I can’t work out who the next Bahrain guy to go full Cobra will be. I think they’re waiting a few days until the heat dies down (again). Wouter was hiding out pretty well yesterday until he hosed up and got on the podium.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Looks like the slovene sauce is getting out

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

paddyboat posted:

I can’t work out who the next Bahrain guy to go full Cobra will be. I think they’re waiting a few days until the heat dies down (again). Wouter was hiding out pretty well yesterday until he hosed up and got on the podium.

'We're just carrying on the work Rod Ellingworth started last year' Bahrain say as the house of cards that was British cycling crumbles around them.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1402621637887942657?s=19

Lol

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cofidis are pulling the peloton in Switzerland, I'm not sure that's something I've ever seen happen before.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is what a real team mate does for you

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That was a super cool view for the sprint

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
oh we’re back to ending races at airport runways again cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the TDS does that a lot for some reason

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the TDS does that a lot for some reason

The Swiss are, as a people, very into transport infrastructure, repetitive rituals, being unable to read social cues, etc.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's the only flat land of any size in the country.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

GB Olympic road race team will be:
- Thomas
- Geoghegan-Hart
- The Yates's

4 GC leaders doesn't seem like the makings of a great team effort (although tbf 3 are on the same team) and I feel like the course is going to come down to a reduced bunch sprint so I'd have taken pidcock but he's doing mountain biking and isn't allowed to do both apparently.

Apparently 2 of them have to do the TT too so Thomas and whoever I guess.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is Pidcock going to be fit? I thought he got hosed up by that car.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goatface posted:

Is Pidcock going to be fit? I thought he got hosed up by that car.

He's only 12, you bounce at that age

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
True.

TT would be Thomas and Ineos Yates, wouldn't it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

True.

TT would be Thomas and Ineos Yates, wouldn't it?

Yeah it is.

Pidcock would be better for the race too but yes you cant enter both. Its why Sagan picked the mountain bike instead of road race at Rio when he probably could have won that given it came down to the spring classics riders and not a GC guy like everyone thought.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1402204065724088323?s=19

UAE's new Spanish 18 year old is murdering everyone at the baby giro. 3 stage wins so far.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there any identifiable reason (beyond shitloads of drugs) that cyclists are suddenly really good below the age of 22?

It doesn't seem like there's been a gradual shift to younger riders, it's more like a complete sea-change for the sport in the last 3-4 years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HGH while growing up.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

Is there any identifiable reason (beyond shitloads of drugs) that cyclists are suddenly really good below the age of 22?

It doesn't seem like there's been a gradual shift to younger riders, it's more like a complete sea-change for the sport in the last 3-4 years.

I mean maybe it is drugs in that cycling was always a bit of an outlier in how old it's dominant forces were.

Other thing is training techniques are all pretty public so athletes are doing pro style training with power meters from age 10 rather then once they become a neopro and maybe the more modern HIIT based regimes and early exposure to cyclo-cross suits younger riders better?

This is all me talking out my arse though and maybe he's just another Ricardo Ricco who's been doping since he was a teenager.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

If we want to look outside the obvious HGH jokes etc. LAC has hit the nail on the head pretty much.

Both teams and prospective riders know what they're looking for now, and what you need to do. Compare a youngsters coaching plan this year to 10 years ago and it will be night and day.

Potential stars are also being identified much younger too, so the average breakthrough age is coming down. I don't think we're that far off a 19 year old dominating a grand tour.

Although I also think we're in the 2nd Renaissance of performance enhancing substances but I won't post about that too much since its really boring.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Poggers has gone nuclear in the tour of Slovenia. UAE might get a 1-2-3 here

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Abolish best young riders classification and make a new one for best rider over the age of 25.

I do wonder though, how many of these young stars will burn the gently caress out physically and mentally before they hit 30.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Poggers has gone nuclear in the tour of Slovenia. UAE might get a 1-2-3 here

Their team vs everyone else at this race is more ridiculous than Ineos in Catalunya

Interesting answers on the young riders, thank you.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

Their team vs everyone else at this race is more ridiculous than Ineos in Catalunya

It's like that video of Michael Owen smashing penalties past a 13 year old.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best masters rider for anyone in the 13+ year of their career.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

van der poel doing a van avermaet (going in the breakaway in the leader's jersey).

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

lol, wrong way at the roundabout.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
someone’s gonna hit that driveway boulder

glad big steve chaves survived

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

carapaz wins. sky are going to be 1-2-3 at le tour aren't they.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Nah, I think Carapaz is their only credible hope of hanging with the Slovenes (and Mark Padun).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They'll get two in the top 5. Someone will Rohan up two mountains to pull Thomas and Carapaz into contention.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HappyCamperGL posted:

carapaz wins. sky are going to be 1-2-3 at le tour aren't they.

yup. I mean the Bahrain stuff is fun but there's doping, and then there's Ineos doping.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

serious gaylord posted:

Although I also think we're in the 2nd Renaissance of performance enhancing substances but I won't post about that too much since its really boring.

I’m curious about this if you feel like posting or linking something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
neck doping is the future