Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Let me guess, mid 2010s, around the peak of all that "Enjoy the Decline" and "Curse of the High IQ" poo poo where being an abrasive rear end in a top hat went from being a Tucker Max/Maddox style gimmick to actual career advice by people who bought into the surface uncritically, before the world saw that that just gets you Donald Trump?
Reminds me of (if anyone's into tabletop streaming) the CEO of Wyrmwood's big meltdown last year because some of his staff voiced concerns about health & safety, HR issues and working hours. His 'solution' was to film himself having a big pissy rant on the shop floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3tYvIkVrTo

(This might not be the right video because I'm out with the dog so I can't watch it all, but if he starts shouting about the health and safety measures he's unwilling to put in place then that's it.)

There seems to be this huge transition issue when small businesses (especially 'punk'/rebel companies) who are used to treating people like poo poo get over a certain size and have to treat their employees with proper rights, and they just loving lose it because they cannot accept that they are the bad guys now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

As terrible as brewdog are, their Nanny State and Punk AF (alcohol free) beers are almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
Hard disagree, we've had a fridge full of non-alcoholic beers lately as my partner's pregnant & I've been dipping in too to curb my alcoholism, Punk AF is a lot better than most since you've got to replace the alcohol taste with something & "more hops" is better than sugar or malt syrup like most brands use, but it still just tastes like a pleasantly hoppy non-alcoholic beer-like beverage

We don't have Nanny State so I'm just remembering from ages ago: found it alright, but still lacking that body from a real beer

Heineken 0.0 is the best of the boring lagers, if anyone cares (by which I mean it's the only one that isn't ridiculously sweet)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I mean, my understanding is that it is in the sense that if we wanted to glass Washington DC tomorrow we could do that. The lack of independence is more that we rely on the US for warhead maintenance, so if we wanted to glass DC 5 years from now that might be more difficult - but if it came down to it and we did ever go full Juche I suspect we could develop the ability.

*Missile* maintenance. The "delivery system" is American, the "physics package" is British although based on an American design (I love the banality of world-ending weaponry naming).

Now the UK Government has always maintained that they have absolute, 100% guaranteed independence in the targeting of Trident *but* the little that we know of how the system works very strongly suggests that it is extremely unlikely that we could target Washington with them.

Basically the missiles leave port with a number of pre-programmed target packages - there's that banality again - from which the MoD/PM can choose, and they can also be reprogrammed while underway with "assistance" from the shore. This much at least is known and acknowledged by HMG.

The rumour and conjecture starts from that point. Now the pre-programmed thing isn't a deliberate limiting of the system - well it *is*, but the limiting isn't the point. We need to roll back a bit to the whole way ballistic missiles work - effectively there are three phases to a ballistic missile trajectory:

Boost - this is with the engines running. This is the easiest part to guide - even the simplest firework is effectively a guided missile in its boost phase, it goes where you point it. However because this is also the point furthest from the target, any errors in aiming at this point massively accumulate - goons of A Certain Age will remember the Terrifying Scud Missile Threat that mostly took out random fish in the Med when aimed at Israel, with failed Patriot missile launches causing almost as much damage in both Israel and Saudi Arabia as the actual missiles did. On Trident (and presumably Trident II although this has never been confirmed) this part of the flight is entirely pre-programmed by the sub, based on its known position and the target position.

Coast/mid-course - this is the point with the engines off. You *can* correct course here, a bit (in fact Trident II is rumoured to be able to change course sufficiently to move the target area several hundred kilometres, although that's more about decoying where you're aiming for - modern guidance systems can generally get you to within a few dozen kilometres of your target from the other side of the world just with boost-phase guidance. This is the part that turns it from a counter-value "lob it at a city" weapon to a precision first-strike weapon, or at least one likely to be able to get close enough (which in nuclar weapons terms is a couple of kms). This part is done with astral navigation on Trident II (GPS not really being anything like reliable enough at that altitude or speed, and also likely to be one of the first victims in an actual nuclear war)

Re-entry - this is where the poo poo really hits the fan and where rumour really takes over. On the way down the warheads split off as Multiple Independent Re-entry Vehicles (MIRVs) so a single missile can attack multiple targets. Obviously the landing point has already been set by Isaac Newton, the bastard, so each MIRV is capable of maneuvering as it re-enters, up to 50kms from the impact point that physics dictates. The thing is - if you've played KSP or watched Apollo 13 or whatever - re-entry is a loving stressful time. While maneuvering is easy (even a flat disk generates enough lift at those sort of speeds to be able to change course by hundreds of kms) *targeting* sure as hell isn't. Astral navigation is out because of the atmospheric turbulence of your re-entry, GPS - even if it was still working and not being jammed/spoofed - isn't anything like fast enough, and your enemy is very unlikely to be polite enough to offer you radar guidance down. Therefore it is *very strongly* rumoured that the MIRVs use some combination of visual, thermal, and radar imaging to identify the target area and get the canned sunshine exactly where it needs to be - a rumoured accuracy of tens of metres.

So... the rumour goes that the reason why target packages are pre-loaded is that the re-entry guidance is entirely reliant on having recent, high-quality, surveillance of the target - something only the Yanks have, and of course a big enough amount of data that you wouldn't really want to download it while underway. The underway re-targeting presumably only loads target coordinates and astral navigation data (the shore assistance may be because of a very limited capability of the astral navigation requiring careful selection of the data it will use, or simply as a safety precaution to stop the weapons officer targeting his ex-wife's house.

Assuming these rumours are true then both versions are actually true - Jack Tar Ripper really does have the ability to choose any target he wants, but someone somewhere in the NRO or whatever trillion-dollar agency you've never heard of that actually compiles the targeting information would probably at least ask a few questions if they get asked to work up a target package that includes 38.8952465N, 77.0387835W.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*zot*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Heineken 0.0 is the best of the boring lagers, if anyone cares (by which I mean it's the only one that isn't ridiculously sweet)

:hmmyes:

Even though regular Heineken is pish, the 0.0 is the best of a mediocre crop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am in favor of slowly moving the earth further out, to counter the increasing luminosity of the sun, 500 million years left at most before it becomes too hot advanced life. Not enough.
You are Louie Gohmert AICMFP

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1402388019420741633?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solar shades would be a better idea, free solar power too.

E: or I guess paint the planet white.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 10, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

About half of this thread voted Lib Dem in 2010, lol

and a considerably smaller number voted for Actual Nick Clegg in Sheffield Hallam

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

I don't get all the fuss about eclipses. The sun goes away every day but she always comes back again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Always happy that I got my Lib Dem voting out of the way in 2005 when they were lead by someone with actual principles.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
God, the Lib Dems finally having their breakthrough moment in 2010 after a loving century, then promptly squandering it by loving over the students who'd voted for them in droves. A truly impressive act of political suicide, considering the stakes for them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Algol Star posted:

I don't get all the fuss about eclipses. The sun goes away every day but she always comes back again.

Only if you sacrifice a goon at midnight upon a stark and barren hill while running anti-clockwise 3 times around said hill before the devil with the red eyes gets you.

Example:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Is *that* why they're booing players taking the knee?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

Always happy that I got my Lib Dem voting out of the way
Wait gently caress is Lib Dem voting like chickenpox where I never got it when I was young so I might get it really bad now I'm old?!

e: vvv ninja'd in the correct disease & ruined the joke :/

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like measles in that there is a really good alternative that is better and painless but the british press couldn't abide that and so they try really hard to stop people doing it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Reading this post about argument decorum just reminded me of this tweet I saw yesterday.

https://twitter.com/JustinWhang/status/1402684879104512001?s=20
:lmao: saw this in the replies.
https://twitter.com/panamaorange/status/1402710110200385536

What a bizarre claim for a Jesuit to make, "yes the Vatican is very moral we hide all the bestiality children in the basement."

OwlFancier posted:

Brilliant news that the terf court of terf island has decides that lovely terfs are the real victims of oppression.

Why do we even have a legal system again?
Apparently the ruling is more like "you can believe in gender critical as a philosophy, but you still can't harass people or misgender them" which I suppose puts it on par with our rules about Holocaust denial and other trash tier theories, but all the terves are reporting it as a win.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tbf for a lot of us it was out first GE and we were very young and naive. Clegg did say all the right things at the time, and for me in particular all the lovely things about the country I could remember had happened under new labour. In retrospect I should have voted TUSC or something but eh, you live and learn.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Tbf for a lot of us it was out first GE and we were very young and naive. Clegg did say all the right things at the time, and for me in particular all the lovely things about the country I could remember had happened under new labour. In retrospect I should have voted TUSC or something but eh, you live and learn.

For a moment - especially with my useless twat of an MP - I got very close to it too. I don't judge those that did fall for it (but I will point and laugh, I'm only human).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

What a bizarre claim for a Jesuit to make, "yes the Vatican is very moral we hide all the bestiality children in the basement."

I think it's more weird that they let a Jesuit into Opus Dei. That's like having a communist Nazi. It does happen ofc, but it is weird as hell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You have to be both a high ranking Jesuit and in Opus Dei before you find out about the bestiality children. If you get into the inner circle of the Rosicrucians as well you get to know about the button that turns the dome of St Peter's basilica into a giant sex arse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Once you ascend to the Seventh Level Of Anglicanism you discover the secret to making a Victoria sponge that manages to taste of literally nothing at all. They're still so furious about Kiplings stealing their secret that their handshakes become almost dry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apropos of literally nothing at all, I've just discovered a short history of not fire fighting, not even fire hydrants themselves, but of the plates that mark fire hydrants and it's bought me more joy than anything else on the internet has in months.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Here's the Deputy Speaker in the House giving GB News a nice plug (at the end of a debate about journalists safety)

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2e811f25-7a77-438d-9a60-dbea42b4c6e8?in=16:58:44&out=16:59:09

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is *that* why they're booing players taking the knee?
Nah. It's simply because they're rejecting their white supremacist legacy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Siri how can we poo poo the bed worse than England?

https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1402968428143648772

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Is Nick Clegg advising the Scottish FA?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1402937343519113222

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1402937343519113222

Short answer: Rangers fans.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Good job Netherlands, wouldn't want to oppose the general concept of racism in case the stadium full of Zwaarte Piet cosplayers get their feelings hurt

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Josef bugman posted:

As an addendum, been mucking about with the nukemap to check to see what might happen.

I did this thing about nukes years ago and really need to finish the rewrite but it's pretty much all still accurate for being written by a layperson

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently the ruling is more like "you can believe in gender critical as a philosophy, but you still can't harass people or misgender them" which I suppose puts it on par with our rules about Holocaust denial and other trash tier theories, but all the terves are reporting it as a win.

There's a lot I could say about it but it's exhausting being trans and I have a migraine so the short version is that the presence of such beliefs in society is itself harmful and contributes to trans suicides, and the protection of it will, regardless of what Mr Justice Choudhury says, absolutely embolden terves to do the exact stuff he says it doesn't allow them to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's on par with our rules about Holocaust denial, yes. Nobody believes in that just because they have honest skepticism about data collected in the period from 1933-1945 Germany either, it's poo poo.

But that's what Holocaust deniers always try to claim when they do get pulled up on it, and they always end up showing their rear end if sufficiently called out.

https://twitter.com/JustALillaBit/status/1402992097074946054

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't really do anything to dim my blistering contempt for every aspect of this disgusting society I have to live in and most of the people in it, especially the people who run it.

Burn the lot of them imo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

What's Wales' excuse?

we have no money or prospects, i thought it was somehow worth it because we're obviously less racist than England. Oh no.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean the oppose vote is less than for England.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Regarde Aduck posted:

What's Wales' excuse?

we have no money or prospects, i thought it was somehow worth it because we're obviously less racist than England. Oh no.
Wales is very obviously racist as gently caress.

You might not notice it as much because there's about 15 non-white people in the entire country (excluding the sharia no-go zones in Cardiff / Daily Mail editors' imaginations), but every black person I know here says it's a lot worse than England.

E: a lot of it's probably because Wales skews very white & very old compared to rUK tbf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't really do anything to dim my blistering contempt for every aspect of this disgusting society I have to live in and most of the people in it, especially the people who run it.

Burn the lot of them imo.
I couldn't really see it going any other way with our laws as they exist at the moment, you're allowed to believe in any stupid thing, even if it causes severe distress or alarm to a community (like with Holocaust denial), but there's limitations on what you can do about it.

But it's equally significant that same case found that deliberate misgendering is harassment. Forstater's fans are being a bit quiet about that, it's been explicitly put on the same level as telling Tommy Robinson "you can believe that the Prophet Mohammed was a pedophile all you want, but when you go around shouting it at Muslims you're breaking the law." That's an important precedent.

Also important is that Ann Sinnott's LGB Alliance bullshit got shut down. The BBC are pro-terf though so they kept quiet on that.
https://twitter.com/stephenpaton134/status/1402939947594682372

So, as established in law, the only way to deal with this is by making expression of GC beliefs as unpalatable to the public as expression of Holocaust denial. There was almost a decade between David Irving openly denying the Holocaust and a judge calling him on record an antisemite and a racist. During that time he still got invited onto media as an 'alternative voice'. And thousands told him to gently caress off.

But the majority of women don't support cornerstones of GC poo poo (and a slim majority of men, but far too many seem care way to much about women's toilets for some reason), so all we can do now is keep pushing against it (and reporting it when they inevitably overstep the line, as they always do).
https://twitter.com/PhdGeek/status/1402906291371184130

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

What's Wales' excuse?

Cardiff and Swansea both have massive shithead contingents.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Borrovan posted:

Wales is very obviously racist as gently caress.

You might not notice it as much because there's about 15 non-white people in the entire country (excluding the sharia no-go zones in Cardiff / Daily Mail editors' imaginations), but every black person I know here says it's a lot worse than England.

E: a lot of it's probably because Wales skews very white & very old compared to rUK tbf

When I moved to Manchester I lived with a bloke from Bridgend who had never seen a black person before.

I actually think there were about 5 non-white people in my comprehensive school in Swansea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
them brewdog bellends can keep their fancy trendy citrussy piss ahll stick wi me nyacassal broon, like!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU0-fmKI0lU