Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There will be a VR game where you get to sit in a mech's cockpit and pull a bunch of levers and press a bunch of buttons. It's only a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Caesar Saladin posted:

is steel battalion even a good game? people only talk about the controller gimmick. I bet it sucks.

Nobody's played it so how would you know?

Someone's got an lp of it going right now if you're curious.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Caesar Saladin posted:

is steel battalion even a good game? people only talk about the controller gimmick. I bet it sucks.

I bought Steel Battallion for $200 when I was in high school and played through it.

It's a good enough game for the genre. It lives up to its gimmick (e.g. MechWarrior but with a cockpit style controller.) There are hardcore elements like having to flip a bunch of buttons for an ignition sequence, the mech tipping over if you turn too quickly, and it deleting your save if you don't press the eject button (though you have a generous amount of time to do so), but it's still essentially Mechwarrior. It's arcade-y enough that the missions themselves aren't a slog, and there's subtle aspects (e.g. the enemies know if you lock-on and will dodge so manually aiming and firing your weapons is better.)

Some features I liked in mechwarrior and other games in the genre etc. are not in Steel Batallion (keep in mind I last played this game ~20 years ago so my memory is a little hazy) - I remember the mission sequence being linear rather than branching, and that while you'd unlock new kinds of VTs as you progressed, you couldn't actually customize the VTs (in games like armored core /mechwarrior, half the fun was just customizing the mechs/earning money to buy upgrades.) I concede that it does make sense to focus on the piloting aspects.

The big omitted feature that bothered me was that there was no concept of weak spots / positional damage - in other games, you could destroy specific parts of mechs to bring them down quicker or neutralize their weapons, where Steel Batallion health was a simple "armor" value. This struck me as a weird feature to omit (hell, in mechwarrior for the SNES, arms/legs could individually be destroyed).

Overall the game was good enough that I didn't feel ripped off when I bought it new, and the experience of using the special controller was a fairly unique gaming experience not replicated to this day. It definitely isn't the best game of all time and $200 was pushing it for the experience - if you wanted to play this game nowadays, you're looking at spending five hundred dollars on a used controller + whatever it takes to get an original xbox, which is a lot for a single player game you might play for a week or so before getting bored.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

poisonpill posted:

They rebooted Thief, it was called Dishonored. They rebooted Deus Ex, it was called Deus Ex: Something Something. They rebooted Sleeping Dogs, it was called "play GTA V and then some Batman".

Dishonored, while a very good game that i've played all the way to the end, only bears a superficial resemblance to Looking Glass Studio's 1998 masterpiece.

e:i finally watched Scarface and now i can say that i've played every single Grand Theft Auto game that will ever be made.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 10, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steel Battalion got two sequels, one of which was an online multiplayer game version again for the game with the 200 dollar controller

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tango alpha delta posted:

Dishonored, while a very good game that i've played all the way to the end, only bears a superficial resemblance to Looking Glass Studio's 1998 masterpiece.

They have quite a lot of similarities, the steampunk element, the general downbeat tone, the slight hint of mysticism, Dishonored almost feels like its set at a different time in the Thief universe

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dishonored is a much, much better game if you play it as a vengeful supernatural killing machine rather than the protagonist of a different game franchise, though

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dishonored is oilpunk whalepunk whaleoilpunk.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They have quite a lot of similarities, the steampunk element, the general downbeat tone, the slight hint of mysticism, Dishonored almost feels like its set at a different time in the Thief universe

lol, i'm starting to think you actually haven't played the original Thief. Garrett is literally just some guy who keeps getting dragged into poo poo he couldn't care less about, but Corvo is literally the Lord Protector badass on a mission of revenge. The games are totally different.

e:the map design is also totally different. Thief's maps are designed to let you be super duper sneaky, while Dishonored maps often times force you into some slicing and dicing because it makes sense from the plot.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 10, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

lol, i'm starting to think you actually haven't played the original Thief. Garrett is literally just some guy who keeps getting dragged into poo poo he couldn't care less about, but Corvo is literally the Lord Protector badass on a mission of revenge. The games are totally different.

Regardless, I think both games are excellent and having Stephen Russell voice Corvo in Dishonored 2 was a nice throwback

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Regardless, I think both games are excellent and having Stephen Russell voice Corvo in Dishonored 2 was a nice throwback

i agree completely. both games are excellent. Thief 1998 was the start of something very cool.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Garrett is just trying to pay the rent

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dishonored sucked. It was too easy. It's not like the A.I was good enough where it felt like you were a badass for tricking it. Your superpowers trivialized everything eventually aswell

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 10, 2021

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the proper way to play Dishonored to be stealthy until you get caught, at which point you go full "no witnesses"

you have to actively try to get High Chaos, trying to ghost the game is just playing yourself

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The proper way to play Dishonored is to play it multiple times. There's alot of stuff you'd otherwise miss if you just go on a killing spree everywhere.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Dishonored sucked. It was too easy. It's not like the A.I was good enough where it felt like you were a badass for tricking it. Your superpowers trivialized everything eventually aswell

It's only hard if you gently caress subtlety and charge in to every situation against all of the guards at once using all of your powers

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
The best mech game single player campaign is titanfall 2 and its not even close. It remains, still, bit getting nearly as much attention as it deserves. A tight 5 - 6 hour campaign, every level is creative and fun, and it's just fuckin rad all around.

I know if you're looking for those lurching mech controls, you won't get that experience with titanfall 2 but it owns so loving much as just a FPS

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Only the finest FPS game about your girlfriend dying so you immediately move onto dating her sister

why does this keep happening in mecha games

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

e:i finally watched Scarface and now i can say that i've played every single Grand Theft Auto game that will ever be made.

You could also play scarface and shoot a man in the balls

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Heavy Gear was an interesting Mechwarrior 2 knockoff (same engine, IIRC, it was made after Activision lost the battletech license), but Heavy Gear 2 was awesome. It actually used the HG license well and treated Gears as powered armor instead of giant battlemechs and played more like an FPS than a traditional mech game but was still very much in the whole mech game genre.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Actually the best mech game ever made is Xenogears, and even has gameplay variation between on foot and in mech, and mech customization despite being a JRPG. They also shamelessly rip off sci fi plots even to the point of calling cannibalism the Soylent System. Being anime as hell helps too. IMO giant mech games should be anime, since the concept is so characteristic of anime

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Heavy Gear was an interesting Mechwarrior 2 knockoff (same engine, IIRC, it was made after Activision lost the battletech license), but Heavy Gear 2 was awesome. It actually used the HG license well and treated Gears as powered armor instead of giant battlemechs and played more like an FPS than a traditional mech game but was still very much in the whole mech game genre.

Sk8r mech

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
No clue if this is unpopular or not but: voxel games are ugly and they suck. Just bad to look at. Worst choice any developer could make concerning a game's visuals imho

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
It just makes everything look like babbys first videogame

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Play posted:

No clue if this is unpopular or not but: voxel games are ugly and they suck. Just bad to look at. Worst choice any developer could make concerning a game's visuals imho

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

It just makes everything look like babbys first videogame

?! I had to look this up, as afaik voxels came and went back in the day of Tiberian Sun and its ilk. Wikipedia tells me No Man's Sky and Space Engineers use them, is that what you're on about? Those games look fine imo.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Play posted:

I honestly think they're better than the early 3d games.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Doctor J Off posted:

Actually the best mech game ever made is Xenogears, and even has gameplay variation between on foot and in mech, and mech customization despite being a JRPG. They also shamelessly rip off sci fi plots even to the point of calling cannibalism the Soylent System. Being anime as hell helps too. IMO giant mech games should be anime, since the concept is so characteristic of anime

:agreed:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Serephina posted:

?! I had to look this up, as afaik voxels came and went back in the day of Tiberian Sun and its ilk. Wikipedia tells me No Man's Sky and Space Engineers use them, is that what you're on about? Those games look fine imo.

No I mean like games that are composed entirely of cubes. 3d pixels, basically. Except pixel art is great to look at

Here's a bunch of games that Steam thinks used voxels, not sure if they're all correct: https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Voxel/ Probably the most famous example would be minecraft, although I can kind of forgive it for being first of all one of the earliest and second of all having a large amount of the game mechanics center around the blocks.

I don't forgive it for restarting the trend though, that's probably where all of this recent voxel stuff came from

poisonpill posted:

I honestly think they're better than the early 3d games.

This may be true but that's just about the lowest bar you could possibly set. An acne ridden rear end in a top hat looks better than many of those games

I mean, they're tolerable, but I think pretty much any other design choice you could possible make in terms of visuals would be better

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There's nothing wrong with voxels you drat wieners.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Serephina posted:

I didn't know that and those games look fine so I retract

anyway Elden Ring just looks like Dark Souls 4 and I can't wait

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There's nothing wrong with voxels you drat wieners.

Without voxels we wouldn't have Pixels and who doesn't want to gently caress Qbert?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Play posted:

Here's a bunch of games that Steam thinks used voxels, not sure if they're all correct: https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Voxel/ Probably the most famous example would be minecraft, although I can kind of forgive it for being first of all one of the earliest

delta force came out in 1998

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Zzulu posted:

Unpopular opinion: video games being easy is a good thing, and makes them easier to enjoy. I have no desire for my leisure hobby to punch me in the dick, and I'm fed up with good concepts for games (indies in particular) being wasted on a misguided desire to chase the "omg git gud" crowd.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

in 10 years every stupid game will ship with an off-the-shelf neural net that tunes itself in realtime to be slightly better than the current player at all times

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The best mech game was battlezone 98, because you waded out in your mech feeling like a badass, but then you fell on your side because somebody thumped you. The curse of having only 2 legs.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Play posted:

Valheim looks pretty good for being a voxel, I think it just needs to be granular enough to not be jagged.

Like Nintendo pixels were just too big but Super Nintendo had some beautiful games.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

With enough processing power you could have a voxel game look like Bioshock or w/e.

Also, Noita is a (2d) voxel game basically. It looks fine for what it's going for.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Steel Battalion loving rules and if og xbox live had better netcode LoC would have been one of the best games on the entire platform

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are there any games that have big Western style stompy mechs fighting zippy anime style space mechs? Either side.

A Zoids game that catches the spirit of the shows would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Console FPS players have the false sense of skill because of aim assist.