Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

where in the us did he import the poo poo from cuz no house i ever lived in the US was good at both of those things. normally only being warm in the winter and way too fuckin hot in the summer (no ac, of course).

The last house in California without AC was built in the 1950s so I find this statement shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

The last house in California without AC was built in the 1950s so I find this statement shocking.

cite sources please

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ive never been to california so this could be why lol.

I also think over 20c is too hot.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hard disagree, especially rentals lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are Japanese women avert to posting pictures of their faces on social media? I have three friends of women I've met who are from Japan on social media and two of the three rarely show their faces, often covering them up or even go as far as blurring them out. Is this common or are they just unique in that aspect?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's normal

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Faces are for business. In my personal life, my profile photo is a pizza with sunglasses.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Faces are for business. In my personal life, my profile photo is a pizza with sunglasses.

Hey you could have asked before ganking my high school yearbook photo. <:mad:>

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

GotLag posted:

It's normal

Normal as it's normal in Japan or it is normal everywhere? I don't mean to fetishize or make generalizations but I don't know a single other person who does this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Normal in East Asia.

I don't like my face online either so I just don't post pictures of myself at all instead of face censoring, but what do I know.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
There was a good thread on Twitter recently of expat ladies sharing their advice for avoiding stalkers. Stuff like posting your conbini bento even, internet weirdoes can dox you based on the barcode as it apparently indicates which neighborhood it was purchased in. Also blurring the view from your windows if you post an indoor picture. Making sure those blue plates that show the 丁目番地 on telephone poles aren't visible, etc.
In my experience parents will often blur out children's faces or put emojis over them if they don't have explicit permission to show other kid's faces.
When I was a JET as well we were always explicitly told never to post pictures of/with our students or things that could identify the school.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wasn't there that Idol who got doxxed by a stalker because he managed to derive her train station from the reflection on her eyeball?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Wasn't there that Idol who got doxxed by a stalker because he managed to derive her train station from the reflection on her eyeball?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50000234

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Very interesting stuff. Thanks.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There's memes in the deep, weird Japanese internet community about profile pictures, such as if a woman has a picture of matcha cake in her Tinder profile or something like that then she's guaranteed to be ugly, if she has Disney photos then she's insane, etc.

I guess it's the flipside of the ChiGyu or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

if she has Disney photos then she's insane

This one may have a lot of empirical evidence to back it up and not just for ladies. :v:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Midjack posted:

This one may have a lot of empirical evidence to back it up and not just for ladies. :v:

Was gonna say

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, just booked flight to HND on the 6th through 29th of May ‘22. Fully refundable but hoping it’s kosher by then. Prepared to pull the chute if it looks like we’re trending poorly but it’s fun to just have a pin in a calendar, even if tentative.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Suga said he wants to have everybody vaxxed by November.
Aka, an LDP opened their mouth and air came out.
Hopefully it happens though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
November seems rather late but I guess they were really slow to start.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt and start making plans for next year. It's hard for me to take Suga's word when you look at their track record so far on handling this situation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt and start making plans for next year. It's hard for me to take Suga's word when you look at their track record so far on handling this situation.

what about their track record so far is worrying you?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

what about their track record so far is worrying you?

The numerous slow-downs and such that led to the vaccination process starting late mixed with my pessimistic nature. I'd love to be proven wrong about this, though. Really miss the country.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

The numerous slow-downs and such that led to the vaccination process starting late mixed with my pessimistic nature. I'd love to be proven wrong about this, though. Really miss the country.

there's a pretty heavy anti-vax sentiment here due to past problems with vaccines and a lot of people are considering skipping the covid vaccination. the govt thought that a prolonged show of waiting to see if the vaccines were safe would help, and they probably would have, except they're kind of being forced to hurry up because of the olympics. so like it's kind of a complicated situation domestically rather than a matter of them not handling things well.

in my opinion, in terms of keeping the virus in check while keeping things like schools and essential services running, i think japan's done a pretty good job, especially compared to a lot of western countries.

that said, i know it's the tourism thread and what's going on domestically isn't really that interesting to people who just want to visit.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Aside from the slow start, which everyone knew would happen, the actual rate of the rollout right now is pretty good. A million a day might be possible if they start opening up to all age groups.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
this anti-vax wave is kinda nuts. i personally know a few ppl both japanese and foreigners who don't want to get vaccinated. i knew about japan's spotty history with vaccines, but i honestly didn't see this coming, hopefully just a small sample size aberration.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Stringent posted:

japan's spotty history with vaccines

I've heard of kids in the late '40s and early '50s getting hepatitis from reused vaccination needles, are you referring to that or is there more?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GotLag posted:

I've heard of kids in the late '40s and early '50s getting hepatitis from reused vaccination needles, are you referring to that or is there more?

there's a lot more, and i'm not an expert in it.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/23/national/japan-vaccine-history-coronavirus/
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Pharmaceuticals/Japan-to-shoulder-COVID-vaccine-liability-risks

those two should be enough to get you started, but as far as i can tell it largely stems from the mmr vaccine being compulsory and there being an abnormally high number of complications. there could be more to it, i really don't know, i just know a decent number of ppl personally that are cagey about getting a covid vaccination, even though these same ppl line up every year to get flu vaccines, lol.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

there's a pretty heavy anti-vax sentiment here due to past problems with vaccines

There were absolutely no problems with any vaccines. A couple of absolutely moronic jurists made arbitrary and anti-scientific rulings, and not a single ruling Japanese politician has found the sack to challenge that even in the face of a deadly pandemic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was all set to dump AirBnB for this upcoming trip in favour of hotels but some of the prices on nice units in Osaka at least are insanely good right now. Thinking about booking them in before demand hits.

I choose to be very optimistic about this trip until it's time to not be :3:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Japan has killed about 20,000 women with cirvical cancer because of the government's cowardice in the face of vaccine denialism.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 10, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

There were absolutely no problems with any vaccines. A couple of absolutely moronic jurists made arbitrary and anti-scientific rulings, and not a single ruling Japanese politician has found the sack to challenge that even in the face of a deadly pandemic.

that's how it scanned to me too, but i wasn't here and people i respect disagree, although i don't understand why. not taking a side, just saying it's an issue with apparently a decent number of people.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

that's how it scanned to me too, but i wasn't here and people i respect disagree, although i don't understand why. not taking a side, just saying it's an issue with apparently a decent number of people.

The whole rest of the world has had these vaccines, but for some reason it went different in Japan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Everyone knows Japanese biology is different.

My understanding was a lot of the anti-vax started because of the court ruling that people could sue vaccine manufacturers if they had side effects. Also the general obsession with side effects all over East Asia. The medicine works but I might feel weird for a day? No thank you!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Either Japanese people are somehow a biologically distinct species from all the other humans in the world, or Japanese leadership simply failed.

The people you respect can disagree all they want, but these are their options.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone knows Japanese biology is different.

My understanding was a lot of the anti-vax started because of the court ruling that people could sue vaccine manufacturers if they had side effects. Also the general obsession with side effects all over East Asia. The medicine works but I might feel weird for a day? No thank you!

The article said that courts ruled government is responsible for "adverse events" and included side effects as "adverse events" - which then led to the government making vaccines not mandatory a couple years later.

I swear the Japanese media is probably one of THE worst in the world (for comparable countries).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All this may change but what are the logistics for getting last minute Shinkansen tickets? I’ve only ever done advanced reservation reserved seats.

I’m going to fly in to HND but immediately want to hop over to Osaka (my points card only let me book flights to HND). I don’t know what entry procedures will be like so I think it might be dangerous to reserve a seat and have to get out of the airport and over to Tokyo or Shinagawa at a specific time.

I’m supposed to be landing Saturday the 7th at 3:30p so I guess I could do something like an 8p train reservation.

I figure my first day will be miserable travel day anyway so I might as well get ALL my immediate travel out of the way. OR I could be begging for trouble. Stay tuned to find out :3:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

For Tokyo to Osaka there are no logistics, just go to the station and buy one. There's a shinkansen departing on that route every ten minutes, you don't need to reserve anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s really good to hear. One less thing to worry about then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Even some of the reservation required ones you can make a reservation at the station right before it leaves, think of it as "assigned seat" rather than "rigid advanced planning."