Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TheBuilder posted:

Why did Sanders vote against the new bill aimed to counter against China in regards to research and domestic investment? I can't find anything via searching.

its got a buncha defense contractor boondoggle

also a 10 billion subsidy to bezos's rocket thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

barbecue at the folks posted:

There are no exceptions to this rule, lol

Augustus is another one of these but again, he was not a fail son by any means.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its got a buncha defense contractor boondoggle

also a 10 billion subsidy to bezos's rocket thing

"Pork" basically.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

TheBuilder posted:

Why did Sanders vote against the new bill aimed to counter against China in regards to research and domestic investment? I can't find anything via searching.

Sworn enemy of Bezos, and it had loads of money for the dude's lame rocket.
Futile, though. If the US political-economic process was able to look past corruption and short-term gains for the elites in order to address long-term challenges, then China wouldn't be so industrialised in the first place.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

Sworn enemy of Bezos, and it had loads of money for the dude's lame rocket.
Futile, though. If the US political-economic process was able to look past corruption and short-term gains for the elites in order to address long-term challenges, then China wouldn't be so industrialised in the first place.

I feel like that's also ignoring the not insignificant efforts the Chinese people and government have put into industrializing since the Deng years, it's not all just foreign companies throwing cash out there and locals doing cheap knockoffs later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roman Glass was the trade good with China IIRC. Direct relationships were minimal, but the absolutely traded with each other. Roman Glass has been found as far as Korea so it was pretty dang well liked.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Roman Glass was the trade good with China IIRC. Direct relationships were minimal, but the absolutely traded with each other. Roman Glass has been found as far as Korea so it was pretty dang well liked.

There's some roman glass in Japanese kofun as well from the 5th Century AD, it's kind of crazy how much more connected the ancient world was than people think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ancient trading wasn't A trading with Z like we do in the modern world. It was often A trading with B who traded with C who trades with D and via a series of owners durable goods can travel an incredible distance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Barudak posted:

Glass was the most prized and kind of the equivalent of silk--a technology the Romans invented that people in the east couldn't replicate. There were lots of other things traded though. Mediterranean coral is a big one that gets a lot of attention in Chinese sources.

The level of direct contact is difficult because most of it likely wouldn't have been recorded, or the records haven't survived. I think there was a lot more than people have previously believed. There are Chinese records of Roman embassies visiting, some dismiss that as Roman traders lying but I don't see any reason not to take the sources at their word. There's no reason Roman diplomats couldn't have gone to China. There's also a reference to Chinese diplomats visiting Augustus, which has also always been dismissed and I don't think there's a good reason to do so. We have DNA evidence now of East Asians living in the Roman Empire, people have been traveling long distances for ages.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Don Gato posted:

I feel like that's also ignoring the not insignificant efforts the Chinese people and government have put into industrializing since the Deng years, it's not all just foreign companies throwing cash out there and locals doing cheap knockoffs later.

Sure, obviously a lot of effort etc goes into it from China and Chinese people, but I was focusing on foreign investment because that seems to be what makes the difference.

Lots of countries would like to be more industrialised, but history suggests actually making that leap requires easy access to outside resources, whether foreign investment or stealing stuff from a bunch of colonies.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tomn posted:

I wonder what his footsoldiers made of that one.

The Macedonian phalangites weren't forcibly recruited serfs or anything like that they were small landholders who served in the army, by all accounts the soldiers who served in Alexander's army, the Macedonians and the Greek (and other) mercenaries were very well rewarded for their service.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

thoughts and prayers posted:

The video I linked starts at 'whoah Disney is getting awfully invasive and performative with their social justice thing', which is really suspect from many different points on the political spectrum for different reasons.

A few minutes in it quickly descends into 'every single bit of the rationale behind those awkward choices - i.e. the existence of systemic racism and how it affects people on an individual scale - is utter bullshit and has no credibility!' So, yeah. CHUD.

Conclusion: the CHUD - it's coming from inside the thread!

--

(To the non-CHUDS, as an aside: I'm old enough to have seen the movie that created the 'inside the house' trope as a child, and it terrified me. When cellphones finally became a thing, the idea that it was now easier to do that sort of thing definitely hit me once or twice, before realizing that 95% of all previous horror movie plots were now obsolete.)

lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What's with Chud, anyway. It's weak as rear end and stinks of 'Man, we gotta call them something'.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

What's with Chud, anyway. It's weak as rear end and stinks of 'Man, we gotta call them something'.

People don't like calling others Nazis because you get Nazis who try to point out how they technically aren't coupled with moderates who don't want to believe their community has Nazis. Chud is stupid but I can see why people prefer it to figuring out the proper label. I think bigot is pretty encompassing and easy enough though.

Maybe call them poopy heads, they don't deserve big boy name calling.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 10, 2021

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Does this thread still do 'China.jpgs' or is that a bygone era?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China.jpgs are very welcome. I just don't have a supply anymore since I'm not there.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
chud is when you want to say the actual c word that causes seppos to clutch their pearls.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
JUJING VILLAGE, WUYUAN COUNTY, CHINA:

"The Roundest Village in China!"

Grand Fromage posted:

China.jpgs are very welcome. I just don't have a supply anymore since I'm not there.

Opposite problem here. I cannot travel so I must post. Post post post. Never stop posting.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 10, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That place looks nice, but the water feature seems pretty moatish and I'm now vaguely convinced it's just a gated community like any other.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
KANGDING, GARZE TIBETAN AUTONOMOUS PREFECTURE, CHINA:

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Duck and Cover posted:

People don't like calling others Nazis because you get Nazis who try to point out how they technically aren't coupled with moderates who don't want to believe their community has Nazis. Chud is stupid but I can see why people prefer it to figuring out the proper label. I think bigot is pretty encompassing and easy enough though.

lol

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Big Willy Style posted:

chud is when you want to say the actual c word that causes seppos to clutch their pearls.

It's this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shutup poopy head! Yep I think that's going to be my go to insult.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

Shutup poopy head! Yep I think that's going to be my go to insult.

Mr. Trump please go to bed, if you go to bed quickly we'll hold a rally, just like the old days.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The only c word I want to hear? China

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dandywalken posted:

The only c word I want to hear? China

same but corea

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fur20 posted:

same but corea

True, that's a very nice part of Maine

https://goo.gl/maps/u9xdfQZQ5c4qzSf48

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Accretionist posted:

KANGDING, GARZE TIBETAN AUTONOMOUS PREFECTURE, CHINA:

this place kicks rear end

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
uuuuhhhhh.................

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN2AV0Y4

quote:

Foreign visitors have been upset by China’s anal swab tests for COVID-19, prompting complaints of inconvenience and even psychological trauma, and stoking debate over their necessity.

Early this week, Tokyo complained about the tests on some Japanese travellers to China, saying they had caused “great psychological pain”.

South Korean visitors can now submit stool samples instead of “Chinese authorities taking them directly”, Choi Young-Sam, a spokesman of the South Korean foreign ministry, said on Tuesday.

Last month, U.S. media outlet Vice cited a State Department official as saying U.S. diplomats had been subjected to the tests. A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said that to his knowledge, such tests had not been required of U.S. diplomats in China.

In a statement to Reuters on Thursday, the ministry said the virus prevention and control measures China was taking were based on science.

edit: Welp, this is from March and I can't find any mention of it on a later date.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 10, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So if I visit mainland China, they throw in some butt play for free? What's Taiwan's offer on rear end action?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
seems like a good chance to poo poo on someone's desk

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Accretionist posted:

haha yeah it is!!!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Those are some beautiful photos.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Accretionist posted:

Opposite problem here. I cannot travel so I must post. Post post post. Never stop posting.

Looks like a good place to walk around

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those photos kinda make me sad. Really wanted to visit China, but the CCP has pretty much pushed that to the bottom of realities. I mean a global pandemic also didn't help.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Those photos kinda make me sad. Really wanted to visit China, but the CCP has pretty much pushed that to the bottom of realities. I mean a global pandemic also didn't help.

Yeah, my girlfriend wanted to go back to HK and Shenzhen to visit family but especially as Canadians we don't think it's a good idea now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

peanut posted:

haha yeah it is!!!

any village I'm in is the roundest village in china

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
At least in the north you have an army of olds sweeping every puddle away as soon as possible to prevent mosquitoes and here these geniuses have surrounded their village with a filthy pool of tepid water

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If I were to visit China, I assume they would plug my phone ito one of those little boxes and discover my anti-Xi shitposting :commissar:?

Perhaps I would need to obtain a burner phone, false moustache... or just visit Best China in Taiwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

If I were to visit China, I assume they would plug my phone ito one of those little boxes and discover my anti-Xi shitposting :commissar:?

No. Your phone might get checked in Xinjiang or Tibet but the rest of the country nobody cares.