Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

doomrider7 posted:

I love me some Batman, but dear God is that true. Supes is humble as a matter of course, his issue is more a combination of being TOO strong where he has to gague his strength at all times lest he accidentally break his parents in half when hugging them or rip someone's hand off when shaking it as well as the Bruce Almighty where he wants to help EVERYONE he can, but there are limitations of various kinds and it eats at him. Not to mention he very much has to be ENTIRELY Lawful at all times to maintain the public trust.

And yeah MHA has always been explicitly about hard work given that in spite of being given said Superman power, Deku still needs to work staggeringly hard to accommodate for the lack of Secondary Powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GDNd8b_QOo

The whole vid is good, but parts that are relevant to your comment start around 2:45.

Circling back to Amphibia I wonder if the show will do anything with the idea that the real threat Andrias isn't really to Earth so much as to Amphibia due to awakening (and pissing off) Earth and it's well-developed military forces that are far, far beyond the post-apocalyptic medieval stuff in most of Amphibia. Given humanity's tendency to approach the unknown with an attitude of "Kill it! Kill it with fire! Nuclear fire!" It might be a good thing that Spring, Polly and Hop-Pop showed up on Earth so Anne can point at them and say "Look, the nice frog people aren't you enemies. Please don't commit genocide on them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Covok posted:

Every villain redemption arc wishes it could be Zuko's arc, let's be real here. It's one of the best done versions of that arc in kids media.

tbf, it helps that zuko didn't really do any particularly heinous and unforgivable acts. yeah there was the whole betraying iroh and katara thing, but despite being a prince of the fire nation, he never actually participated in their genocide. hell, he never even killed a single person.

yeah...i love JLU, but that part with darkseid is just :lol: like come on, really? the only person to avoid your omega beams was an human with above average speed? :rolleyes:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
In an old thread this goon edited the last page of The Oldest Game in Sandman so that Dream wins with "I am Batman" and it was the funniest comic edit I've ever read

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr Interweb posted:

tbf, it helps that zuko didn't really do any particularly heinous and unforgivable acts. yeah there was the whole betraying iroh and katara thing, but despite being a prince of the fire nation, he never actually participated in their genocide. hell, he never even killed a single person.

Part of writing a good redemption story is knowing when to pull up before the audience calls bullshit. Just another reason Zuko is the gold standard.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah...i love JLU, but that part with darkseid is just :lol: like come on, really? the only person to avoid your omega beams was an human with above average speed? :rolleyes:

The only defense I can ever offer of that scene besides "ah, come on, it's cool" is that most people don't see the Omega beams without dying but Batman has gotten to see them numerous times which means he can formulate the "get them to hit another sucker" plan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Getting them to hit something else is pretty much the only way to avoid them. Darkseid tends to have their speed match the target, even the Flash can't outrun them, as the beams will literally teleport to continue after targets normally out of reach. For Batman, Darkseid is also not trying very hard, like the second he decides to try Batman can't do crap.

Brave and the Bold actually had a similar thing with Batman vs Darkseid. He really could not do anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OgYMGBgwYo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Speed matches the target, huh? So the best way to avoid them is to simply not move, face Darkseid down and just ask "Can you not please? That's kind of rude. I'd greatly appreciate you NOT murdering me today." "Fffffiiiiiiiine....."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I finally got around to giving Infinity Train a shot and the season 1-2-3 sequence is an INCREDIBLE build. Season 4 feels like a step backwards to Season One style plotting, but I assume it was planned to be the start of another slow-burn arc.

What I'm saying is, there should be more Infinity Train. :smith:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Getting them to hit something else is pretty much the only way to avoid them. Darkseid tends to have their speed match the target, even the Flash can't outrun them, as the beams will literally teleport to continue after targets normally out of reach. For Batman, Darkseid is also not trying very hard, like the second he decides to try Batman can't do crap.

Brave and the Bold actually had a similar thing with Batman vs Darkseid. He really could not do anything

I always appreciated how despite being the most over the top batman in TV history, the show loved to put him in fights that he was just completely doomed in. Dr. Zoom, Dickish Superman, etc

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I finally got around to giving Infinity Train a shot and the season 1-2-3 sequence is an INCREDIBLE build. Season 4 feels like a step backwards to Season One style plotting, but I assume it was planned to be the start of another slow-burn arc.

Season 2's story is really my favorite and I wish they hadn't begun setting up storylines in s3 and 4 without having a guarantee of future seasons. I also don't like how dark it got with Hazel's plot in s3.
Just by itself, s1+2 can be the end of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They wrote a movie about Amelia that it seems like season 4 was the lead-in for. They talk about it a little on the season 2 dvd commentaries. I really hope 3 and 4 get dvds with commentaries.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Season 4 was a brave move, but it's so unlikeable. The characters are mean and ragged with each other, the cars aren't fun challenges, everything is a bit more dangerous and random.

I get that's deliberate, and meant to be part of the show's commentary on One-One's reign. (Presumably it would have tied into Season 5's simultaneous Amelia story.) But it's just not got that charming adventure vibe.

It also feels a little sloppy at times, like the bit where the cat says they owe her one, but she never figures back into the plot. It's a big step down on the prior seasons.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked this take on Batman vs. Darkseid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5RXhPwlKc

I loved Darkseid's little smile of admiration right at the end.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Senerio posted:

5 days til more Owl House! Glory be to Hoot Prime! Rejoice, Boiling Isles!

Both episodes have leaked somehow and, having watched them, well.... They're really good

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

a neat cape posted:

Both episodes have leaked somehow and, having watched them, well.... They're really good

It was a Paley's Center event for Pride Month. I agree, they were good.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I love the clink clank noises King makes.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

And we have our first voiced footage of Lola from the new Space Jam movie:

https://twitter.com/thecinebr/status/1401660023424667650

Man, after Wabbit and The Looney Tunes Show went in such a different direction with her character and, y'know, gave her an actual personality beyond "You go, girl!" it's really weird seeing a take based on Lola Classic...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the newest Owl House episodes one of my favourite aspects that I did not see coming was Lilith and hooty becoming BFFs. That's a funny dynamic.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Part of writing a good redemption story is knowing when to pull up before the audience calls bullshit. Just another reason Zuko is the gold standard.

He did burn down a village but thanks to the heroes, he didn't manage to kill anyone and he also had plenty of visibly honorable traits and the audience knew his story after episode six. It's not just pulling up; but knowing when to sink. By allowing Zuko to give into weakness, he's forced to confront what he was vs what he learned and truly know the difference between right and wrong. Arguably, this is what also made Azula's downfall tragic and elicit pity rather than outright rejection. Though Azula put the idea in Ozai's head, had Ozai allowed her to take part in it; that final act would've fallen flat on its face.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 9, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tactless Ogre posted:

Arguably, this is what also made Azula's downfall tragic and ellicit sympathy. Though Azula put the idea in Ozai's head, had Ozai allowed her to take part in it; that final act would've fallen flat on its face.

Azula and Zuko are kinda pretty much the road not taken for each; Azula gave up everything to be Daddy's Little Monster, what seemed like the smart and easy path for her, only to end up with the dust and ashes of a sociopath's gratitude. Zuko takes the hard path, at long last, and it finally fixes things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1402670449947865088?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

Man, after Wabbit and The Looney Tunes Show went in such a different direction with her character and, y'know, gave her an actual personality beyond "You go, girl!" it's really weird seeing a take based on Lola Classic...

I realise Zendaya is a megastar right now, but like... Kristen Wiig is still a pretty big name and she was hilarious as Lola on TLTS.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, here’s a new Space Jam trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1V0D49BD8A4

New Lola’s not bad (though her CGI version is hideous), Tweety has apparently hit puberty recently, and Daffy for some reason both looks and sounds the best out of the entire cast so far.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, that CGI does not look good: The movie industry is way too enamored of applying "realistic" textures regardless of whether or not it suits the character designs. I think the Tunes would look so much better if they didn't have the fur/fluff effects applied and just went with a texture that more closely mimics paint.

That said: I really liked LeBron's general attitude in the scenes at the start of the trailer: I think he really captures an attitude of almost childlike wonder at meeting Bugs that's just really endearing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I made more of an effortpost in the animation thread so I'll just say: 3D Lola extremely bad, 3D Daffy very good, overall movie look bad

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Man, that CGI does not look good: The movie industry is way too enamored of applying "realistic" textures regardless of whether or not it suits the character designs. I think the Tunes would look so much better if they didn't have the fur/fluff effects applied and just went with a texture that more closely mimics paint.

That said: I really liked LeBron's general attitude in the scenes at the start of the trailer: I think he really captures an attitude of almost childlike wonder at meeting Bugs that's just really endearing.

I will admit that he seems to have more acting talent than Michael Jordon ever did at least.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So they're not reusing the same plot, but it looks like the enemy basketball team is basically the atomic supermen from Futurama.

The original Space Jam had issues with the Looney Tunes being a bit stale since the Looney Tunes shorts had really scaled down production since the 60s, and the whole reason for the movie only existing was because of the interest sparked by the new series of commercials. In theory, Looney Tunes is fresher now since there have been a lot more cartoons more recently put out, but it looks like the movie doesn't wanna play off of those more recent characterizations, so it may have even more problems with being stale from trying to be in the spirit of Looney Tunes from 50 years ago.

Also the CGI doesn't look very good. It kinda makes the real shots between CGI look less real. I could probably get more thoughts out, but a lot of it may just being sour about how the movie industry just really hates 2D animation. It might make more sense thematically if the big villain was CGI instead of just being a live-action guy so that the characters are being more brought into his domain.

Gaz-L posted:

I realise Zendaya is a megastar right now, but like... Kristen Wiig is still a pretty big name and she was hilarious as Lola on TLTS.

That's assuming that they want the movie to be really funny, which they might not. The sports drama may overtake whatever comedic angle that the Looney Tunes were initially supposed to bring. The trailer sure seems to be playing up the angle of being an action movie over being silly or ridiculous.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Just to be a bit of an rear end in a top hat, in terms of Amphibia, I'm choosing to believe that Marcy is dead and the tank with the body in it is Andrias growing a clone of her .

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BioEnchanted posted:

With the newest Owl House episodes one of my favourite aspects that I did not see coming was Lilith and hooty becoming BFFs. That's a funny dynamic.

Leak posters, report to the Pain RoomConformitorium.

Everyone posted:

Just to be a bit of an rear end in a top hat, in terms of Amphibia, I'm choosing to believe that Marcy is dead and the tank with the body in it is Andrias growing a clone of her .

But why, though? Why would Andrias clone her?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I will admit that he seems to have more acting talent than Michael Jordon ever did at least.

Talk about low bars though...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Talk about low bars though...

True, though I believe LeBron has at least had some acting experience in the past but I don’t remember what else he was in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

True, though I believe LeBron has at least had some acting experience in the past but I don’t remember what else he was in.

He was in Smallfoot (which had Zendaya as Meechee).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

But why, though? Why would Andrias clone her?

My guess would be that Andrias wants to have a Marcy that's under his control. Each of the girls is apparently linked to one of the stones of the Calamity Box as "Super-Anne" shows. Andrias would want Marcy as a counter to Anne and/or Sasha. Honestly this is probably why Andrias is keeping Marcy alive in the first place - to both heal Marcy and reprogram/brainwash her. The clone idea was just me being an rear end in a top hat to keep the idea of Disney show onscreen child murder as a thing until the show premieres.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I genuinely wonder if the people working on flicks like Space Jam know that they're trash. Like, they probably see only their parts so it's hard to judge, I imagine, but imagine doing CGI to blend in the gang from a clockwerk orange into a crowdshot so they don't clash with the jetsons and the flintstones, are still easily recognizable, and still don't overshadow the looney tunes in that shot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well I imagine a large chunk of the original film’s production was Jordon acting alone in front of a green screen so you’re probably right in that regard.

I will admit I did like some of the music in the first one though so hopefully the new movie can get that much right at the very least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, has there been any recent word regarding the Darkwing Duck and/or Tiny Toons reboots they announced a while back or are those two still in development hell (or cancelled) at this point?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Animated shows take longer than live action to spin up.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, has there been any recent word regarding the Darkwing Duck and/or Tiny Toons reboots they announced a while back or are those two still in development hell (or cancelled) at this point?

Looniversity I’m betting is in the place Animaniacs was when it was announced, which was “just starting production” so we prob won’t be hearing about anything from there for another year or 2 at most. Don’t know about Darkwing Duck

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Animaniacs, I imagine we’re going to get some announcement regarding season 2 before long since it was reported a little while back that the show had already been picked up for a third one.

As for Tiny Toons I’m curious how much if any of the original cast will come back for that one (Charlie Adler left the show due to sour grapes over not being cast in the original Animaniacs and both Plucky and Hampton’s VA’s are long dead). Tress might be willing to return at the very least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1403020579389644801