Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Locator posted:

You can find iron in the swamp outside of crypts? What? Is it buried nodes or something? I've never entered the swamp with the wishbone equipped after I got it.

Yeah. I mean it's literally just enough to kit out a forge sometimes. It's not like it's a primary way to make equipment or anything, but you could almost always find enough to sort out some random iron pieces like gates etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Am I missing something with the parry mechanics? I tried parrying a one-star fuling with a shield with a parry strength of 50 and a 1.5x parry rating. It worked. I later tried with a blackmetal atgeir with a parry of 45 and a bonus of 3x, and I couldn't at all. Are the timings for atgeir and shield different and I just suck with the atgeir? If my math is right the shield should have had a parry total strength of 75 to the total atgeir strength of 135.

e: On reading further, yes, I am missing something. Parry force is the knockback from the parry. The block power of the atgeir is 10, so even with the x3 parry bonus, it only has a block power of 30. Ok. Well, even if the atgeir is nice for the range, ability to play keepaway with fulings, and secondary attack, I think I'm going to stick with the sword/shield and wolf spear for throwing if I need it.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 6, 2021

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
The 45 is how much damage you can parry, the 3x is your bonus attack on a parried enemy.

Fukkin phone posting

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s like in game design 101 they try to teach you that water levels are a way to create a heightened sense of risk, a unique take on the adventure, and more excitement but in reality it just makes you stressed, frustrated, and angry.

Prove me wrong.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Swamp iron nodes are an exercise in frustration to mine and get you like 2 iron if you're lucky, just pretend they don't exist

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

It’s like in game design 101 they try to teach you that water levels are a way to create a heightened sense of risk, a unique take on the adventure, and more excitement but in reality it just makes you stressed, frustrated, and angry.

Prove me wrong.

Can't have a peak without the valley.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It's kind of weird that the mountains gear gives you weapons to better murder the undead that you have already murdered a ton of without difficulty. I almost wonder if you were supposed to do the mountains and swamp simultaneously, or interleaved. Like if you moved the Wishbone to the Elder and Swamp Key to Bonemass, so you'd get some iron from the random piles, but not much, to go get some silver to get more iron, to kill Bonemass, to get the key and get a flood of iron, to let you really push into the mountains to kill Moder. If they made draugr a lot more deadly and put them only in the tombs/at night, and made the iron from the crypts better, I could almost see it. You'd also have to make the mountain creatures a lot weaker and basically eliminate an armor tier. I'm glad they didn't do that, but putting the spirit damage weapons after the undead place still slightly baffles me.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Paving over the swamp and easily jogging past all the enemies is a pretty solid feeling.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

It's kind of weird that the mountains gear gives you weapons to better murder the undead that you have already murdered a ton of without difficulty. I almost wonder if you were supposed to do the mountains and swamp simultaneously, or interleaved. Like if you moved the Wishbone to the Elder and Swamp Key to Bonemass, so you'd get some iron from the random piles, but not much, to go get some silver to get more iron, to kill Bonemass, to get the key and get a flood of iron, to let you really push into the mountains to kill Moder. If they made draugr a lot more deadly and put them only in the tombs/at night, and made the iron from the crypts better, I could almost see it. You'd also have to make the mountain creatures a lot weaker and basically eliminate an armor tier. I'm glad they didn't do that, but putting the spirit damage weapons after the undead place still slightly baffles me.

The weapons definitely have the vibe that there is supposed to be a bigger variety of enemies ingame than there actually is.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Heffer posted:

Paving over the swamp and easily jogging past all the enemies is a pretty solid feeling.

It works for Florida :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You never stop needing iron though so there is some justification for tossing weapons at you that completely trivialize everything in the swamp. The game is pretty good about trivializing old biomes as you progress even without them, but it feels like they gave the silver tier an extra boost just because they know you'll be grinding those crypts again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AmbientParadox posted:

It works for Florida :shrug:

Until the sinkholes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
After a bit of a hiatus, the island base is fully functional. I still have a fair amount of space I can fill, but I'm kinda out of ideas and I figure I can leave room for future updates.

This is the small island that started it all (before the patch that nerfed raise ground, fortunately)

And here it is after the glow-up

This bad boy can fit so much barley in it

Pretty basic dock, but you don't need a lot when you're pulling up to an island

The crafting corner

It gets a bit cramped on the smelting slab, but you can still make it through one side to the other without having to leave cover

Bit of an open concept bedroom

Last but not least, the observation deck

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am creatively bankrupt and bought Frozenheim to help me with building ideas and town layout

Qtiy also did this or similar

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Are there mods to allow metal through portals? I feel like once you've moved onto the "next" biome, you should be able to port the previous biome's metal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unrestricted Portals

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just started this on a dedicated server with a friend. On the cusp of the bronze age and digging it so far. Mostly going in cold to figure things out as we go. Troll hide armor is awesome.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Troll hide can take you all the way to the mountains. You’ll wan to upgrade then.

Use your bronze on weapons. When you make it to iron then upgrade armor.

This game is weird in that the armor you need and the weapons you need seem to be offset by a biome and they don’t necessarily match in the early to mid game.

It is also super easy to upgrade troll armor and the sneak is useful.

Plus it looks good.

Bronze armor looks dumb if only because you lose your hair wearing the helmet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Padded can look odd too depending on if your character has a beard. Beards clip through the face of the armor.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
My character's highest skill is Bows, at 95. Troll armor chest + leg pieces have the best armor value for no move speed penalty, so IMO those 2 pieces are the best for kiting. It's also possible to raise armor value by an extra point on each piece, if you enable the free build mode console code. I did, justifying it ind my head that having such low quality armor be best in slot for ANY reason is silly. The omission of a gambeson analog seems glaring to me.

The Troll set bonus is not worth being pursued once you get access to even a bronze helmet, though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
With 95 bows you don't exactly need to kite anything

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I played this game for a couple of months drat near every day, and loved it's simple nature and low system requirement's. It's just a fun experience. The one issue I had was with a major update breaking my save files so I could log in but could not move. I ended up deleting the save, but is there a tool or process I can follow if something like that happens again?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Floob posted:

I played this game for a couple of months drat near every day, and loved it's simple nature and low system requirement's. It's just a fun experience. The one issue I had was with a major update breaking my save files so I could log in but could not move. I ended up deleting the save, but is there a tool or process I can follow if something like that happens again?

Have you tried the standard cheats? They allow for teleport and free fly

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

dialhforhero posted:

I like how the swamp is basically the water level of this video game.

Water levels always suck.

More sewer level than water level, I think.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

My character's highest skill is Bows, at 95. Troll armor chest + leg pieces have the best armor value for no move speed penalty, so IMO those 2 pieces are the best for kiting. It's also possible to raise armor value by an extra point on each piece, if you enable the free build mode console code. I did, justifying it ind my head that having such low quality armor be best in slot for ANY reason is silly. The omission of a gambeson analog seems glaring to me.

The Troll set bonus is not worth being pursued once you get access to even a bronze helmet, though.

I mean I know I suck at this game and die a lot but I'm basically done with the plains age, with maxed out armor and most weapons (all that I use, just have to max upgrades for the knife and atgeir) and I think my highest skill at all is 40. Even if I hadn't died at all I don't think I'd be at 95.

Also I'm really glad I stopped kiting most enemies after the Elder since I've had a lot more fun only sparingly using the bow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's the same poo poo as Skyrim, where I would always have a ton more fun rushing in and hacking up enemies with an ax, yet at some point in almost every single play station I'd come to my senses and realize I've been stealth archering for the last 45 minutes for no good reason. There's something hypnotic about it.

The few times I've tried to play stealth games or cover shooters, which are ostensibly designed around that specific play style, I've had no fun and given up early. But give me a game where the stealth and shooting mechanics are a primitive afterthought and I get addicted to stealth and shooting. :shepface:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Gameplay aside, there's something appropriate about getting iron from a swamp. Viking age people did too because they used bog iron. They didnt't go into ancient crypts for it but otherwise it's pretty similar.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Bugfix patch today, two of the bugs appear to be that events/raids for wolves/fulings weren't happening.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3059613869755598898

Hello everybody! Another one of our beloved fixer upper patches. Besides fixing some bugs and minor issues we found that some of our main random events never triggered as expected. So please welcome two new events: “You are being hunted…” and “The horde is attacking”. I'm sure they will brighten up your day.

* Fixed issue where capes sometimes formed strange bumps on the back after jumping
* Close build gui with ESC selection fix
* Fuling army event trigger fixed
* Wolf hunt event trigger fixed
* Troll ground slam can now be blocked
* Longship repair & build sound fixes
* Wolfcape durability fix
* Respawning resources timer fix (Berries and flint should now correctly respawn)
* Serpents no longer flee when low on health
* Fixed issue with ship containers not closing properly in some situations
* Raise terrain is more smooth & less pointy
* Fixed water particles & water-surface clipping issues inside boats
* Better fermenter feedback when it’s exposed
* Tweaked some sound assets to use less RAM
* Covered rocks should no longer look wet during rain

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

pik_d posted:

Bugfix patch today, two of the bugs appear to be that events/raids for wolves/fulings weren't happening.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3059613869755598898

Hello everybody! Another one of our beloved fixer upper patches. Besides fixing some bugs and minor issues we found that some of our main random events never triggered as expected. So please welcome two new events: “You are being hunted…” and “The horde is attacking”. I'm sure they will brighten up your day.

* Fixed issue where capes sometimes formed strange bumps on the back after jumping
* Close build gui with ESC selection fix
* Fuling army event trigger fixed
* Wolf hunt event trigger fixed
* Longship repair & build sound fixes
* Wolfcape durability fix
* Respawning resources timer fix (Berries and flint should now correctly respawn)
* Serpents no longer flee when low on health
* Fixed issue with ship containers not closing properly in some situations
* Raise terrain is more smooth & less pointy
* Fixed water particles & water-surface clipping issues inside boats
* Better fermenter feedback when it’s exposed
* Tweaked some sound assets to use less RAM
* Covered rocks should no longer look wet during rain

I figured they'd eventually get around to this. Isn't there also supposed to be a blob event? I've never seen that one in-game either.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

quote:

big if true

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 9, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's the same poo poo as Skyrim, where I would always have a ton more fun rushing in and hacking up enemies with an ax, yet at some point in almost every single play station I'd come to my senses and realize I've been stealth archering for the last 45 minutes for no good reason. There's something hypnotic about it.

The few times I've tried to play stealth games or cover shooters, which are ostensibly designed around that specific play style, I've had no fun and given up early. But give me a game where the stealth and shooting mechanics are a primitive afterthought and I get addicted to stealth and shooting. :shepface:

Same way but this disease going back through Oblivion and Morrowind too. The weirdest thing is, when it occasionally goes wrong, I miss or don't kill (okay can't recall that happening, if I hit, it's a kill because of the insane damage bonuses) you pull out whatever mediocre weapon you happen to have on you and the monsters still die in a few hits. Get so used to dealing 1 million damage stealth bow shots that you forget the enemies only have like 100 hp and your basic dinky trash sword kills them even faster just because you're no longer stealth-moving or carefully aiming.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Upon reflection I'm sure it's because games built around stealth archery require you to actually be good at it to advance, whereas Elder Scrolls and Valheim make it super easy and simplistic. So guess which one turns out to be more fun for someone who sucks at it as much as I do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
TBH sneak skill was one of my lowest in Valheim, if it ever got high it was because I was raising it passively when taming animals or something. Never got the hang of stealthing in combat or doing stealth-archery. I think it's partly because there's some dark-souls sprinkled in here and that drives me to hug feet and wait for parry opportunities.

drat, they should just add a dodge roll, parry, and backstab to next-Elder Scrolls game for real.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
My friends and I basically saw it as every biome emphasizing a skill or mechanic. The swamp was "Hey do you know about potions?" in the same way the Plains was "Hey do you know about stealth?"

Lox and Fulings and Deathsquitos are super scary when you first roll up on the plains but are more or less all very vulnerable to sneaking.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spanish Matlock posted:

My friends and I basically saw it as every biome emphasizing a skill or mechanic. The swamp was "Hey do you know about potions?" in the same way the Plains was "Hey do you know about stealth?"

Lox and Fulings and Deathsquitos are super scary when you first roll up on the plains but are more or less all very vulnerable to sneaking.

My plains experience is the opposite of stealth, but I agree with the main point. Deathsquitos taught me situational awareness and timing, since you can see them a long way off and they're easy to take out. They're like the poison headcrabs in HL2 - a priority target because if you're fighting something else is when they become a problem. Lox taught me correct weapon choice and the importance of the parry counterattack - they're HP sponges until you shield block and then lay waste with the Porcupine - they drop like rocks. Fulings taught to bring my A-game, blocking regular and 1-star, while dodge-rolling around the 2-stars and trying very hard to never, ever get hit while also conserving stamina. The plains is like all the lessons you've learned until then applying simultaneously and cranked up to 11.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Roadmap update (officially pushed back) and some details of what will be included in Hearth & Home:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3059613869759649545

Edit: They're also doing a reddit AMA tomorrow about Hearth & Home, so hopefully we can get more info from that.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 10, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wooden roofs, windows, and more food. Good, good.

Also I had no idea you could just put a cooking put in a hearth.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Hell yes. It is more evidence that the developers have a good head on their shoulders. I am super psyched for the updates. Quality always wins over quantity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yes, a recipe to finally do something with the infinite dwarf eyes you get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
There's also maybe a Viking hot tub coming?

https://twitter.com/dvoidis/status/1402990836648857603