Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Breakdown is backing this up. They're left wing and pretty reliable. They broke the sky palace party story.

https://twitter.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1402807285919805440

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm curious who Western Standard's leak is in the UCP. Kenney has so many enemies in his caucus it could be anyone

Considering its derek fildebrandt, whose political career was completely destroyed by kenney when wildrose and ucp merged, he's got a serious axe to grind and lots of contacts within cabinet. I find this whole thing hilarious, it's totally petty conservative infighting

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PT6A posted:

I was thinking earlier today about the religious nut Boers at my work who ranted about how the pandemic was fake and vaccines are poo poo, so I did some reading about that history and now I'm more depressed than I was before and also, wouldn't it be great if we did away with Christianity? Maybe not everyone to begin with, we could start with eliminating Calvinism and see how that works out as a start.

calvinism. that's the one where you make up the rules as you go, right?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That's the one where God knows from the moment of birth whether or not you're a good Christian, and your entirely life is spent performing the role of being innately superior to everyone else.

That being said, Christianity is the way it is because it got married to the capitalist/colonialist project of states. In the same way that I wouldn't equate all forms of Judaism with Israel, or all forms of Islam with the Saudis, I keep in mind the several forms of liberatory Christianity that exist, and that athiest like Richard Dawkins have essentially become apologists for empire anyway, just substituting in rational humanism for Christianity as to the reason Europe was right to genocide the world.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Documents filed in Veltman’s parents’ 2016 divorce proceedings make no mention of racism or radicalization, but portray someone prone to anger and who was medicated for mental illness.

According to divorce records, his parents agreed to encourage him to continue therapy and to ensure he was not left unsupervised with his younger siblings.

Veltman and his twin sister are the eldest of the family’s six children, who now range in age from 10 to 20 years old.

Veltman’s father, Mark Veltman, works at the Lambton College of Applied Arts and Technology in Sarnia, Ont. His mother, Alysia Bisset, has worked as a personal trainer.

“He was often awkward socially, lacked confidence and was preoccupied with what others thought,” according to a 2017 report on custody issues, prepared by London psychologist Dr. Richard Zayed, in a section titled “Nathaniel’s struggles.”

As his parents' marriage faltered, Veltman became “frighteningly angry” and was particularly disrespectful to his mother “raising his voice and towering over her in an intimidating way, and pounding on doors,” the report said. His mother said she locked herself in her room to avoid him.

Who had "White mass murderer makes NCR plea" on thei... wow ok there are a lot of you aren't there

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

With time religion will go away on its own as a major cultural force. The Internet broke that spell I think, we're all way less religious than our parents. It would be nice to eliminate the special place the Catholic Church holds within Canadian society, though. Do they really need their own separate school board in Ontario, for example, given their history and contemporary irrelevance?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Who had "White mass murderer makes NCR plea" on thei... wow ok there are a lot of you aren't there

Weirdly, I feel like well adjusted people with a good home life probably don't suit up and go on killing sprees. It just doesn't come up that often, you know?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Lassitude posted:

With time religion will go away on its own as a major cultural force. The Internet broke that spell I think, we're all way less religious than our parents. It would be nice to eliminate the special place the Catholic Church holds within Canadian society, though. Do they really need their own separate school board in Ontario, for example, given their history and contemporary irrelevance?

I think the Catholic school system will unfortunately outlast most actual practicing Catholics in Ontario. There's no upside to any party getting rid of it - the people who think it shouldn't exist are at most sort of mildly annoyed by it, and it isn't going to make the top 10 list of anyone's voting priorities, and there's a smaller group of people who absolutely will not vote for you if you advocate getting rid of it.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Lassitude posted:

enki42 posted:

I think the Catholic school system will unfortunately outlast most actual practicing Catholics in Ontario. There's no upside to any party getting rid of it - the people who think it shouldn't exist are at most sort of mildly annoyed by it, and it isn't going to make the top 10 list of anyone's voting priorities, and there's a smaller group of people who absolutely will not vote for you if you advocate getting rid of it.
This, plus Catholic schools are written into the constitution so it would be a massive legal mess to integrate them into secular boards or get rid of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like to put forward to the media that maladjusted individuals can still be criminally responsible assholes and having a lovely family life is no excuse for murder loving hell.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd like to put forward to the media that maladjusted individuals can still be criminally responsible assholes and having a lovely family life is no excuse for murder loving hell.

Somehow these mitigating circumstances only ever seem to come up in certain situations. Odd that.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

The Breakdown is backing this up. They're left wing and pretty reliable. They broke the sky palace party story.

https://twitter.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1402807285919805440
Yeah apparently Bottega 104 is one of the private party restaurants- so like a fancy Olive Garden! One of my local restaurants with a similar name is getting some angry calls because people are stupid:

https://twitter.com/Bodega_yeg/status/1402804205727850496?s=19

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Imagine having your very own private Earls. What a drat dreamlife

Your own personal kelsey's
Someone to hear your prayers

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

prom candy posted:

Sometimes dreams come true

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

prom candy posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't Brent Roussiin announce new public health orders only yesterday? Today he and Pallister are out to announce a reopening plan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And apparently we're getting a poo poo load of vaccines in weekly. Hope they bump the eligibility soon - I am May 19th.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1403011362083725316?s=19

Stable Genius right there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jenica Atwin apparently crossing the aisle and ditching the Greens for the Liberal Party. I'm guessing that Annamie Paul's chief staffer hasn't been winning many friends in the party when he started harassing the other sitting MPs and accusing them of being antisemitic for not endorsing Israelis murdering civilians in Gaza.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 10, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

:siren: Finally got my first 5G nanobot injection despite working in a loving pharmacy (thanks Ford you incompetent dingus).

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jenica Atwin apparently crossing the aisle and ditching the Greens for the Liberal Party. I'm guessing that Annamie Paul's chief staffer hasn't been winning many friends in the party when he started harassing the other sitting MPs and accusing them of being antisemitic for not endorsing Israelis murdering civilians in Gaza.

This will forever confuse me. Dont the majority of Canadians support Palestine and disagree with the Israeli governments constant forays into civilian murder? Why is every one of our federal parties still running in the opposite direction?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Furnaceface posted:

This will forever confuse me. Dont the majority of Canadians support Palestine

I'd bet the majority of Canadians are mostly ignorant of the issue, and what they do think they know, they learned from the MSM's "criticism of Israel is literally antisemitism" angle

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Furnaceface posted:

:siren: Finally got my first 5G nanobot injection despite working in a loving pharmacy (thanks Ford you incompetent dingus).

This will forever confuse me. Dont the majority of Canadians support Palestine and disagree with the Israeli governments constant forays into civilian murder? Why is every one of our federal parties still running in the opposite direction?

I have a lot of otherwise progressive-ish people on my Facebook feeds that are 'both sides-y' at best up to 100% pro-Israel in some cases. I'd say it's a crapshot what side your average Liberal voter would take.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The media presents an extremely "both sides" narrative which is shockingly the dominant view most Canadians have. But even then, most Canadians that think "well both sides are bad" can see the massive power imbalance and that's only increasing. Our politicians are lagging way behind on this issue, but politicians rarely follow popular opinion. There needs to be groups of very well organized pro-Palestinian special interest groups with proven voting reliability before our political class will take a risk on anything.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Canadians support Israel because they are a settler nation who treat the settled as less than people, just like us.

e: To acknowledge that there's something fundamentally wrong in Israel requires Canadians to admit the same thing about our country, and a lot of Canadians won't ever do that.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

After the 2014 Gaza War, a handful more Canadians supported Israel than did Palestine - that has probably evened up after the last one. But the actual majority probably think that the issue is too complicated and unpleasant to think about.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
Most Canadians think Canada should oppose annexation.

2020 EKOS Survey posted:

EKOS Research Associates (https://www.ekos.com/) conducted a national online survey of
1,009 Canadians, between June 5-10, 2020, on behalf of Canadians for Justice and Peace in the
Middle East (http://cjpme.org), Independent Jewish Voices Canada (http://www.ijvcanada.org/)
and the United Network for Justice and Peace in Palestine-Israel (http://www.unjppi.org/). The
margin of error associated with the sample is plus or minus 3.0 percentage points, 19 times out
of 20.

The survey found that Canadians want their government to oppose Israel’s plans to annex parts
of the West Bank. A significant majority (74%) of Canadians want the government to express
opposition to Israeli annexation in some form. Moreover, 42% want Canada to impose
economic and/or diplomatic sanctions against Israel. Sanctions against Israel are popular
among supporters of the NDP (68%), Green Party (59%), Bloc Quebecois (54%), and Liberal
Party (42%).

Link: https://www.canadianarabinstitute.org/press-releases/statement-2021-ndp-convention-resolution-on-israel-palestine

And here's a tweet to a link with some graphs:

https://twitter.com/BDSmovement/status/1276512866242363393?s=20

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Another Bill posted:

Canadians support Israel because they are a settler nation who treat the settled as less than people, just like us.

e: To acknowledge that there's something fundamentally wrong in Israel requires Canadians to admit the same thing about our country, and a lot of Canadians won't ever do that.

Isn't that what we've been doing with the whole condemnation of residency schools? and how every building, event and park in Vancouver now "Recognizes the unceded land of the first nations (but we aren't gonna do anything else about it)"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So apparently Pallister still hasn't actually said what his plans are for reopening Manitoba. How the gently caress are we over a year into the pandemic, and over a month after poo poo had officially hit the fan for Manitoba, and he's still just kinda shrugging and going "I unno. I mean, we have ideas on what to do, but... I unno. Maybe we can open for Canada Day or something?"

Also, if we had no plans on how to reopen after poo poo hit the fan, WHAT THE gently caress WAS RESTARTMB? I mean, in theory you had a plan from before! Why not just... oh, I unno... STICK TO THE PLAN YOU loving NUMBNUT. Or crib the reopening plan from *checks notes* LITERALLY ANY OTHER PROVINCE. I mean, even Doug "Denser than particularly dense osmium" Ford managed to pull SOMETHING out of his rear end.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Another Bill posted:

We (eventually) went anti-apartheid in South Africa despite it literally being based on Canadian policy, with consultation from the Canadian government, so I wouldn’t say never.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There has been some hoopla in the Green party recently over Israel and anti-semitism, with recently-elected leader Annamie Paul (who converted to Judaism 20 years ago) making a mealy-mouthed both sides non-statement, then getting push back from her own party and blaming anti-semitism:

So now the Green MP who tweet that criticism, Jenica Atwin, has crossed the floor to join the Liberals, a party famous for their frank and honest criticism of Israel's human rig.... wait what?

quote:

"It certainly played a role," she said, when asked whether a recent dispute over Green Party Leader Annamie Paul's public statements about the Middle Eastern conflict pushed her to join the Liberals. Paul has been accused of ignoring established party policy on Israel.

At a press conference alongside Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc today, Atwin said that while she'll stand for a different party in the coming election, "my priorities, my values remain the same."

She said she was never particularly partisan. "For me, it was always difficult to choose which party flag to fly over my head."

She vowed to continue her fight for aggressive climate action and to oppose fracking and projects like the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, which the government is in the process of building after years of delays.

"I haven't changed my views," she said.

Atwin said the Liberals offered nothing in exchange for her floor-crossing and she was not promised a cabinet post.

"We haven't discussed anything like that," she said. "One step at a time."

:psyduck:

I'd call her a craven opportunist, but she did this for apparently absolutely nothing in return, so ... what...?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Tesla Tories indeed

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

eXXon posted:

So now the Green MP who tweet that criticism, Jenica Atwin, has crossed the floor to join the Liberals, a party famous for their frank and honest criticism of Israel's human rig.... wait what?

Yeah, this is confusing as hell. I voted for Atwin, and I still can't figure out what I feel here as the Green Party federally has become a poo poo show but the Liberals are, well, the Liberals. I hope she's not naive enough to think that she is going to accomplish anything other than finally giving the Liberals their "think Green, vote Red" chip to play in the next election.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Might be she jumped because she felt electoral chances for greens were poorer than Libs

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Randalor posted:

So apparently Pallister still hasn't actually said what his plans are for reopening Manitoba. How the gently caress are we over a year into the pandemic, and over a month after poo poo had officially hit the fan for Manitoba, and he's still just kinda shrugging and going "I unno. I mean, we have ideas on what to do, but... I unno. Maybe we can open for Canada Day or something?"

Also, if we had no plans on how to reopen after poo poo hit the fan, WHAT THE gently caress WAS RESTARTMB? I mean, in theory you had a plan from before! Why not just... oh, I unno... STICK TO THE PLAN YOU loving NUMBNUT. Or crib the reopening plan from *checks notes* LITERALLY ANY OTHER PROVINCE. I mean, even Doug "Denser than particularly dense osmium" Ford managed to pull SOMETHING out of his rear end.

With cases still over 100 a day and nurses having just gone on strike I feel like announcing a vague, non-committal reopening plan had a lot more to do with happy distraction than actually putting a solid plan out there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Willatron posted:

With cases still over 100 a day and nurses having just gone on strike I feel like announcing a vague, non-committal reopening plan had a lot more to do with happy distraction than actually putting a solid plan out there.

Oh poo poo the nurses went on strike? About drat time. I know they're going to get a ton of flak from idiots, but nurses have really been treated like poo poo by Pallister's government ever since he came in and this was a long time coming. I hope they're able to get what they rightly deserve after all this time (as in, proper contracts, higher pay and overall better working conditions, not the other implication of "what they deserve").

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Randalor posted:

Oh poo poo the nurses went on strike? About drat time. I know they're going to get a ton of flak from idiots, but nurses have really been treated like poo poo by Pallister's government ever since he came in and this was a long time coming. I hope they're able to get what they rightly deserve after all this time (as in, proper contracts, higher pay and overall better working conditions, not the other implication of "what they deserve").

98% of the Union voted in support. Pretty damning indictment of the PCs handling of the situation, but then Pallister thinks increased labour disputes and strikes are a sign he's doing a good job because somebody is "sticking up for the taxpayers."

I hope they get all their demands met.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randalor posted:

They rushed out an announcement because yesterday Northwest Territories laid out a detailed reopening plan and Palloster didn't want to lag behind a territory.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Seems like Atwin jumped cause she knew that she'd lose as a Green candidate in the next election but probably win as a Liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Paul is up right now to make a statement complain about Atwin crossing the floor.

It might be a nothingburger movement that accomplishes little more than loving the Greens, but maybe don't foster hatred in your own party by calling people antisemites when they call you out for being a mealy mouthed void on human rights abuses.