Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut looks to be absolutely right about the actual facts of the judgment, but what judges always forget is the actual practical effects of their rulings. People don't like getting sued so often tend to err on the side of caution,* & what a lot of people are gonna hear is "tervery is a protected characteristic" & so not sack people for the exact poo poo this judgment condemns.

Holocaust denial isn't seen as repugnant because the law says so; it's seen as repugnant because society says so.

*offer not applicable to small businesses who dgaf, big businesses who are above the law, or most other employment rights not protected by massive lobbies because lmao tribunal fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's genuinely the only beer-ish thing I like.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DesperateDan posted:

I did this thing about nukes years ago and really need to finish the rewrite but it's pretty much all still accurate for being written by a layperson

Ooooh, thank you! Will be reading this!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When I moved to Manchester I lived with a bloke from Bridgend who had never seen a black person before.

I actually think there were about 5 non-white people in my comprehensive school in Swansea.

One of my all-time favourite posts ITT was during the riots, when Welsh coppers were drafted in to patrol London so the Met could spend more time with their truncheons - it was something like:

"Look Dafyd, there's another one! It's just like The Wire!"

(I'm annoyed that I can't remember enough of the phrasing to actually find the post itself and give proper credit).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Reminds me of (if anyone's into tabletop streaming) the CEO of Wyrmwood's big meltdown last year because some of his staff voiced concerns about health & safety, HR issues and working hours. His 'solution' was to film himself having a big pissy rant on the shop floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3tYvIkVrTo

(This might not be the right video because I'm out with the dog so I can't watch it all, but if he starts shouting about the health and safety measures he's unwilling to put in place then that's it.)

There seems to be this huge transition issue when small businesses (especially 'punk'/rebel companies) who are used to treating people like poo poo get over a certain size and have to treat their employees with proper rights, and they just loving lose it because they cannot accept that they are the bad guys now.

Oh yeah thats a super toxic company right there.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

feedmegin posted:

I mean, if you think there's a US officer on every one of our nuclear subs who needs to give the ok for us to launch, I think you're going to need to provide a cite for that. As for not being able to target the US, well, we did nearly accidentally bomb the place already - and given we were aiming for a missile range in the US there, I doubt there's some kind of absolute lockout. Maybe a Clippy-style 'It looks like you're trying to obliterate the capital of the United States, are you sure about this Y/N' thing?

they can be launched, but their targetting data has to be precomputed, so some company in the US has to do that for us if we want to fire it somewhere different to the current set of targets that can be used.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Borrovan posted:

Wales is very obviously racist as gently caress.

You might not notice it as much because there's about 15 non-white people in the entire country (excluding the sharia no-go zones in Cardiff / Daily Mail editors' imaginations), but every black person I know here says it's a lot worse than England.

E: a lot of it's probably because Wales skews very white & very old compared to rUK tbf

This is very true, especially in the rural areas. In a lot of smaller towns, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the only nonwhite people are the families who run the takeaways or restaurants. Ethnic minorities won't move into the area because why the hell would they (no jobs, poo poo wages), while affluent white retirees flock to the area to escape urban overcrowding brown people. The rural secondary school I went to in the 90s had 500 pupils, of whom exactly none were non-white.

Plenty of Saeson around, though.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

they can be launched, but their targetting data has to be precomputed, so some company in the US has to do that for us if we want to fire it somewhere different to the current set of targets that can be used.

Given that MoD training establishments can't even make local changes to their instructional PowerPoint presentations to correct typos, factual errors or outdated information because they're part of a 'package' procured from an external supplier on a ironclad contract which means that the MoD has to pay for every change they request, even if it's to correct errors on the part of the supplier, it doesn't really surprise me that they've got the same deal for Trident.

It's probably the same company. "To request an update to the presentation which still shows the Type 42 destroyer as being in a active service, press 1...to request a new target coordinate set for Trident, press 2..."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Crankit posted:

that's extremely dumb

at this point the uk might as well do outright nuclear sharing and give the second launch key to a token american officer on the sub or something, there is no practical difference if you can't retarget your own nukes without asking the americans very nicely (chances are it's actually worse because the royal navy crew could just beat up the american and nick the key if the uk really wants to nuke some people). could probably also just rent or license build some american boomers to save money.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Netherlands defending taking the knee only if the players were reaching for a tin of boot polish.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Surprised at Spain and Italy, that pool has subverted my expectations of both countries.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can't we just put the chickens back in the nosecones of the nukes for targeting? As long as it's not chlorinated American chickens obviously.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guavanaut posted:

I couldn't really see it going any other way with our laws as they exist at the moment, you're allowed to believe in any stupid thing, even if it causes severe distress or alarm to a community (like with Holocaust denial), but there's limitations on what you can do about it.

But it's equally significant that same case found that deliberate misgendering is harassment. Forstater's fans are being a bit quiet about that, it's been explicitly put on the same level as telling Tommy Robinson "you can believe that the Prophet Mohammed was a pedophile all you want, but when you go around shouting it at Muslims you're breaking the law." That's an important precedent.

Also important is that Ann Sinnott's LGB Alliance bullshit got shut down. The BBC are pro-terf though so they kept quiet on that.
https://twitter.com/stephenpaton134/status/1402939947594682372

So, as established in law, the only way to deal with this is by making expression of GC beliefs as unpalatable to the public as expression of Holocaust denial. There was almost a decade between David Irving openly denying the Holocaust and a judge calling him on record an antisemite and a racist. During that time he still got invited onto media as an 'alternative voice'. And thousands told him to gently caress off.

But the majority of women don't support cornerstones of GC poo poo (and a slim majority of men, but far too many seem care way to much about women's toilets for some reason), so all we can do now is keep pushing against it (and reporting it when they inevitably overstep the line, as they always do).
https://twitter.com/PhdGeek/status/1402906291371184130

but literally none of that matter because all that is gonna happen is terfs are going to be emboldened because Forstater won her appeal and the media is still going to keep amplifying and platforming and treating it like their view point is pure truth

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does the BBC still have any good television ever since Doctor Who poo poo the bed in Series 12 two years ago?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

do you think if terfs and transwomen actually met in real life rather than on twitter... this would all just sort of get sorted?

Grouchio posted:

Does the BBC still have any good television ever since Doctor Who poo poo the bed in Series 12 two years ago?

homes under the hammer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can't we just put the chickens back in the nosecones of the nukes for targeting? As long as it's not chlorinated American chickens obviously.

Don't be silly, the chickens were to keep the nuclear bombs *warm*, not for targeting (targeting is surprisingly easy when you just bury the bombs somewhere you think the enemy is likely to go).

Now both the Americans and British did play with the idea of guiding missiles and bombs with pigeons, and the Yanks went as far as a couple of test flights, but even though the system seemed to work (at least a shitload better than the best electronic guidance systems available in WW2) it was deemed just too silly for words.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

homes under the hammer

Unless you're an accelerationist (or that show has seriously changed and now is actually called "Landlord's heads under the hammer") that is not a good show.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless you're an accelerationist (or that show has seriously changed and now is actually called "Landlord's heads under the hammer") that is not a good show.

no its loving awful. I havent watched daytime tv for a long time but the other one was a programme that followed literal bailiffs making them the stars of the show..... fucks sake

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

like i always suck air through my teeth and wade in on the side of the bbc in this thread but yeah... theyve, for decades, had the option to make programmes making heroes of bailiffs or protestors and which have they chosen?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you think if terfs and transwomen actually met in real life rather than on twitter... this would all just sort of get sorted?
This particular bout was kicked off by a terf who was abusing a co-worker to her face by using the wrong pronouns and deadnaming her. Transphobic abuse happened to a guy I went to uni with.

I do wonder if the majority of the people in the press with 'valid concerns' would have the temerity to actually say anything in front of a trans person*, but trans abuse is certainly real enough to be a huge problem.

* Or if it would be more like the many in-laws that go on about workshy scroungers stealing their taxes - not you obviously though, you've got circumstances. Not like those others though, hanging's too good for the wastes of space etc etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sorry. Yes. I wasn't trying to downplay or belittle anything.

I think I just read some of the tweets linked and its probably pretty otherwise nice little old ladies whining about being abused and silenced and actually if they just met with people and talked to them they'd quickly realise actually they have way more enemies in common and this is so.. i dunno counter productive.

Again I apologise, I tend to try to stay out of these things as I'm the last person whose opinion on any of this matters.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

When it's time to grift we will always grift hard, grift hard etc

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/10/dominic-cummings-promises-no-10-revelations-paid-for-newsletter-substack

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

For what it's worth I wasn't accusing you of downplaying, I was sort of half doing something else at the same time and my dog was being needy so it was a bit unfocused.

I do wonder if a lot of the columnists propping up the gender critical mob would probably have very different opinions if they actually met a trans person and talked to them, and I don't mean on twitter.

A lot of it is people who don't really know picking the side that seems more 'reasonable.' And to a lib brained columnist, their nice dinner party friends are all getting shitcanned by people who swear at them, again, on twitter.*

Abby Thorne's latest video is good about this kind of ignorance.

* Because you know, their basic human rights are being denied.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

no worries bobby. your thread is rubbish though.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Grouchio posted:

cbbc/cbeebies has the best quality writing as far as i can tell, somehow some bbc4 documentaries are more infantile in their opinion of the audience

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I can tell you from personal experience that this is a BIG no

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That nukemap thing is terrifying because I have been using the wrong definition of 'moderate' my entire life. 'Moderate' damage apparently means 'not vapourised', but the buildings are instead piles of flaming rubble. Lucky people die quickly when a building falls on them and unlucky people will die slowly from the 3rd degree burns they will sustain.

This is moderate damage.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lady Demelza posted:

This is moderate damage.

yes. brexit.

Rumda posted:

I can tell you from personal experience that this is a BIG no

thats sad.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

i'm torn between hoping TERFs have trans kids so their brains melt down because their special wonderful baby overrides any sort of braindead ideology in their heads, and hoping they don't have trans kids because oh man it would suck for the kids

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

That nukemap thing is terrifying because I have been using the wrong definition of 'moderate' my entire life. 'Moderate' damage apparently means 'not vapourised', but the buildings are instead piles of flaming rubble. Lucky people die quickly when a building falls on them and unlucky people will die slowly from the 3rd degree burns they will sustain.

This is moderate damage.

That's actually one weakness of Nukemap, because it only looks at overpressure and flash in a very simplistic way but in fairness, that's just about the only way of doing it without doing millions of calculations on a dataset that doesn't even exist (at least outside of bunkers under mountains in Wyoming).

Flash is at least relatively consistent *if you're in the flash*, but obviously in a built-up area that's a matter of pure luck.

Overpressure is much, much harder to simulate - buildings may deflect it, focus it, absorb it, or provide a load of shrapnel to really gently caress poo poo up for the next building along, and the effect will vary by the exact angle the wave hits the building at. A reinforced-concrete building can happily deflect a 5PSI shockwave if it hits at 45 degrees, but hit face-on it'll collapse. Except it might be the exact opposite - an LPS building will actually survive a face-on blast better than it will an angled one if it hits one of the structural sides. Similar things happen at lower pressure for brick-built or curtain-wall construction - just look at the effects of hurricanes or tornadoes in the US on balloon-frame buildings, which are even more fragile - some are completely untouched, others right next door and of identical construction will be obliterated, it depends on dozens of factors and sometimes even something as simple as a single missing roof tile *could* make the difference.

So "moderate damage" runs the gamut from "completely flattened and on fire" to "broken windows and damaged roofs" *and those two things might be side by side*. Without a spare supercomputer and a complete account of the construction and level of repair of every building in the area you just can't tell beyond that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i just watched about 3 minutes of question time before having to turn it off. some woman on a webcam going on about how yes taking the knee is good but it's also bad because people are tired of it and it's getting booooooring and the point has been made already and it's too divisive lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I genuinely think if fans hadn't been allowed back into stadiums at the end of the season they'd have stopped taking the knee for next season, but now I sort of feel like they've not got much choice but to keep it up because otherwise it looks like they're giving in to the fuckwits.

Personally I think it's a pointless gesture that's now the race-relations version of the rainbow flag on a brand's twitter account - it's a box ticked to say "We have now done anti-racism, please continue to consume our product", but anything that annoys the kind of person who thinks singing No Surrender is just good bantz is something we need to do a lot more of.

It won't happen but I'd loving love it if the England team would take up Sam Delaney's idea, that they move the taking the knee from kickoff to using it as a goal celebration, just to gently caress with fash brains.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
In my experience, the whole "bigots will surely stop being bigots if only they could just, you know, talk with whoever it is they're bigoted against" thing is wishful thinking, sadly - at least not when it's the kind of bigot that spends inordinate amount of time harrasing people online and irl, and for whom bigotry is an ingrained part of their personality and worldview.

Like, folks can definitely reconsider their bigoted beliefs about groups of people after being exposed to them in person - I've seen this happen with quite a few of my fellow Eastern European migrants after they moved to the UK. It generally happens with what I'd call "social bigotry" - that is, Bad Opinions aquired through media or through peer pressure or through "common sense, simple as" kind of bullshit. In my experience, these "social bigots" tend to fairly seamlessly let go of most of these Bad Opinions after changing their peer group, or meeting the subjects of these Opinions in person and realising that it's just, you know, people. Bigotry's not a core part of their belief system and their worldview, and they are generally capable of educating themselves and changing, or at least, you know, not harrasing anyone online or at work.

However, you also get the other kind of bigotry, where it does feel like it's an integral part of the person's worldview - it's almost like they're trying hard to latch onto these beliefs and justify them and protect them from any evidence to the contrary. Speaking again from experience with a few of my fellow Eastern Europeans - I used to know a couple of people like that, though their main thing was racism (homo-/trans-phobia and mysogyny too, but racism was the main course, so to speak). Me being quite young and naive at the time, I though they might reconsider if only I convince tham that Racism Is Bad, or at the very least if they live here for longer and meet all these people they're so prejudiced againtst. Nope. That's not what happens.

What happens is, they will use anything, every little thing that someone their target group might do wrong, every single interaction (even the frendliest, most innoccent ones), every perceived slight - anything to try and convince you, and reassure themselves, that their target group is not human, not really. They will blow past all your explanations and evidence and appeals to humanity, because it's all unconvincing at best and "you know you agree with me, you're just virtue-signalling cause you're too weak to speak your mind" at worst. For this kind of bigot, nothing you say will make them reconsider who they count as a human being and who they don't. Putting them in a room with a representative of their target group will only further convince them that they are right about these people, regardless of how it goes. From what I've seen of them I suspect the vast majority of British terfdom is like this.

So yeah, imo people who can reconsider their bigoted beliefs will generally do so on their own with lived experience/education/evidence. With terfs and other bigots of a similar power level, I think the only right approach is damage control and making sure they aren't in a position to spread their bullshit around

nurmie fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 11, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There have been studies done on the effects of exposure on bigoted beliefs. Things like, deliberately putting a load of Spanish speakers on the same bus as some American racists and reviewing their attitudes every few days. Turns out their bigotry increases at first, but after a couple weeks it does start to diminish. Obviously that's not going to hold true in every case, but for the more passive bigots, bigoted through ignorance rather than being devoted to a cause, it does work.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Conversions are betrayals; betrayals have a cost.
Does truth pay a prospective convert all that would be lost?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Nelson residents fight to overturn Pendle Council tree plantation
ANGRY residents in Nelson are bidding to overturn Pendle Council's decision to plant fruit trees on a nearby recreation ground.

quote:

The plans have been vigorously opposed by 84 residents (as of 1 June), who have cited potential ‘cover for drug dealers’, ‘leaves clogging gutters’ and ‘feeling unsafe around so many trees’ as reasons to prevent the planting on Ringstone Crescent, Nelson from going ahead.

[...]

“Children often play football and other activities on the land and this won't be possible if the plans go ahead."

[...]

In the written objections, one resident wrote: “The safety and welfare of our children and grandchildren is an issue, as at present they can play on the circle in the knowledge that they are visible to all the residents should there be any problems or, God forbid, any accidents.

“If these trees were to be planted it is inevitable that there will be accidents as children will climb them to retrieve fruit.”

A further objection said: “Another major concern is that the density of the trees could provide cover for anyone dealing drugs or partaking in any other criminal activity.”

One stated that the plantation would lead to an increase in footfall, and in turn vehicles, which would be ‘a danger to us all’, while another said that she ‘wouldn’t feel safe around so many trees’.

i'd love to see a map correlating trees with criminal activity

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's hardly Sherwood forest they're making.

Also, field with road access? You can market this whole tree idea pretty easily if you play on peoples fears.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 11, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's hardly Sherwood forest they're making

this is what kills me. and it’s all fruit tees for free picking

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Trees are scary :(

Adbot