Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Doing a pork shoulder on the WSM 14 today. Started it at 8 a.m. and the cooker was running hot all day, usually between 270-300. I just kind of let it go because I figured faster the better and pork is forgiving. At ~5 hours, it settled at 185 and hung there for about an hour. Seemed like a late stall, but I wrapped it and after a bit it got up to 195.

I figured work was mostly done, so I unwrapped and put in the oven at 225 to firm up the crust. Well gently caress me if it doesn't drop down to 165 and sit there for the next two hours. I wrapped again and I've got it in the oven at 250. Coming on 10 hours now and it's 188.

I'm guessing that first 195 reading was near a bone or something and throwing off my temp? Oh well, hopefully this is done before 12 hours though. If it goes much longer I know I'm not going to let it rest before diving in.

e: Took it off at 11 hours and 202 degrees. Rested 30 minutes.

Maybe a little drier than I would have liked, but looks fancy on my homemade kaiser rolls.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Chad Sexington posted:

Doing a pork shoulder on the WSM 14 today. Started it at 8 a.m. and the cooker was running hot all day, usually between 270-300. I just kind of let it go because I figured faster the better and pork is forgiving. At ~5 hours, it settled at 185 and hung there for about an hour. Seemed like a late stall, but I wrapped it and after a bit it got up to 195.

I figured work was mostly done, so I unwrapped and put in the oven at 225 to firm up the crust. Well gently caress me if it doesn't drop down to 165 and sit there for the next two hours. I wrapped again and I've got it in the oven at 250. Coming on 10 hours now and it's 188.

I'm guessing that first 195 reading was near a bone or something and throwing off my temp? Oh well, hopefully this is done before 12 hours though. If it goes much longer I know I'm not going to let it rest before diving in.

Maybe a little drier than I would have liked, but looks fancy on my homemade kaiser rolls.

Same exact thing happened to me on my last pulled pork. That was the only time I ever wrapped a pork shoulder, and will probably be the last time I ever do it.

I figured I’d try wrapping it to see if it came out better. Wrapped he pork when it hit the stall, and then took it to 195. Took off the wrapping just to firm up the bark and finish. Then the temp dropped like 30 degrees. Took a couple more hours to actually finish. Ended up being a little dry and not as tender as I normally get. I don’t know if I crutched it wrong or what, but I’m just going to stick with unwrapped going forward. Never had any complaints unwrapped.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I had a pork butt stall in the upper 180s and I just pulled it. Bone still slid out and it was like one that had gone 10 more degrees.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’ve never wrapped pork shoulder, but then I haven’t smoked it all the way through. It’s turned out great, though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Brisket was my best effort yet, not 100% but getting there

Short ribs took twice as long as expected at 16 hours, but were absolutely amazing.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It happened, and I'm glad it did. I smoked some octopus. Rubbed with lemon infused oil, chilli, pepper, salt and chives.

Ended up running a coolish hot smoke on this, about 125c for 5 hours. Had it in a tray to sit in it's own juices, and an occasional top off of liquid to stop it drying out too much. Once it was ready to pull, just threw it on the hot side for a minute or so to get some char. The flesh was firm but yielding, not chewy, and the octopus really, really takes smoke flavour well. This might be a regular fixture... and the leftovers are going on a risotto later.

Oh, yeah, and I smoked a few other things. Family round, so it's barbecue time.

Beef skirt marinaded in Jim Beam Red Stag.

Char-siu style pork tenderloin.

Orange zest and mixed pepper duck breast.

Short ribs.

The unused half (sternum side) of a rack of ribs that I had trimmed from a previous barbecue, done to an almost pulled-pork consistency... turned out pretty nice. These guys approved.

Obligatory piles of chicken (about 30 legs, 10 thighs) not pictured.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Olpainless posted:

It happened, and I'm glad it did. I smoked some octopus. Rubbed with lemon infused oil, chilli, pepper, salt and chives.

Ended up running a coolish hot smoke on this, about 125c for 5 hours. Had it in a tray to sit in it's own juices, and an occasional top off of liquid to stop it drying out too much. Once it was ready to pull, just threw it on the hot side for a minute or so to get some char. The flesh was firm but yielding, not chewy, and the octopus really, really takes smoke flavour well. This might be a regular fixture... and the leftovers are going on a risotto later.

At first I thought this read 125f and I was going :barf:. 125 c makes a lot more sense.

All your meat looks awesome. How was the pork?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

At first I thought this read 125f and I was going :barf:. 125 c makes a lot more sense.

All your meat looks awesome. How was the pork?

Pretty good! Pulls apart well and some good flavour with a dry rub and a maple and bourbon glaze.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Those smoke rings though. I need me a charcoal offset stat. Love my MES but I want a smoke ring even though it doesn’t really make any difference in taste…more like an accomplishment standpoint, being able to say I did that, and without Prague powder

I’ve never had octopus in my entire life but that poo poo looks delicious and now I’m wondering where I can get fresh octopus. I don’t know what country you’re in olpainless but did you get that poo poo at an Asian market?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love octopus but its one of the few things I feel guilty about eating. They're such incredible animals, and their lack of a centralized nervous system means we don't really understand their intelligence. It sucks that we eat them, as delicious as they are.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Chad Sexington posted:

I figured I’d try wrapping it to see if it came out better. Wrapped he pork when it hit the stall, and then took it to 195. Took off the wrapping just to firm up the bark and finish. Then the temp dropped like 30 degrees.

I've observed this too.

My theory is that when you wrap it in foil you accumulate a lot of moisture on the surface of the meat and when you unwrap it and stick it in a low temp environment it just evaporates and sucks out a ton of heat with it.

I think that if I wrap something like that again I will just leave it wrapped until the temp is 'done' and then crank the heat way up to like 500F and flash crisp it for 5-10 minutes and ignore the internal temps. The evaporation will still happen and cool the meat just much faster and dry out the surface before too much of the internal juices can escape and dry out the roast.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

life is killing me posted:

I’ve never had octopus in my entire life but that poo poo looks delicious and now I’m wondering where I can get fresh octopus. I don’t know what country you’re in olpainless but did you get that poo poo at an Asian market?

UK, so we do at least have reasonable fresh fishmongers about.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I love octopus but its one of the few things I feel guilty about eating. They're such incredible animals, and their lack of a centralized nervous system means we don't really understand their intelligence. It sucks that we eat them, as delicious as they are.

Yeah - they really are super-smart things. Does feel a bit bad, but they're so drat tasty.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Olpainless posted:

Yeah - they really are super-smart things. Does feel a bit bad, but they're so drat tasty.
They also only live 1-2 years, the poor things aren't going to survive whether we eat them or not.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Murgos posted:

I've observed this too.

My theory is that when you wrap it in foil you accumulate a lot of moisture on the surface of the meat and when you unwrap it and stick it in a low temp environment it just evaporates and sucks out a ton of heat with it.

I think that if I wrap something like that again I will just leave it wrapped until the temp is 'done' and then crank the heat way up to like 500F and flash crisp it for 5-10 minutes and ignore the internal temps. The evaporation will still happen and cool the meat just much faster and dry out the surface before too much of the internal juices can escape and dry out the roast.

This is exactly what’s happening - the wrap limits evaporative cooling (which is what produces the stall), but if you unwrap it it evaporates and drops the temp a bunch. If you’re wrapping then you take it to temp still wrapped, then unwrap and hit it with hotter flame to firm the bark a bit; don’t try to bring it to temp a second time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Those smoke rings though. I need me a charcoal offset stat. Love my MES but I want a smoke ring even though it doesn’t really make any difference in taste…more like an accomplishment standpoint, being able to say I did that, and without Prague powder

Not sure where in Texas you’re at but I remember when I was living in Houston the Whole Foods had octopus.

Barring that, do you have an HEB Central Market?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok so I threw some frozen burgers on the grill today, and finally used some of the salt I smoked a few weeks ago. It was smoked with hickory and hoo boy did it improve the burgers quite a bit. I will be needing to smoke more salt because it appears to be good on every loving thing

nwin posted:

Not sure where in Texas you’re at but I remember when I was living in Houston the Whole Foods had octopus.

Barring that, do you have an HEB Central Market?

We do have a Central Market near us and we frequently go there for meat so I’ll have to check there if I can get the wife on board. Bonus points if the 3yo will even allow it on his plate after we tell him what it is.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Kalman posted:

This is exactly what’s happening - the wrap limits evaporative cooling (which is what produces the stall), but if you unwrap it it evaporates and drops the temp a bunch. If you’re wrapping then you take it to temp still wrapped, then unwrap and hit it with hotter flame to firm the bark a bit; don’t try to bring it to temp a second time.

I guess that explains why my pulled pork came out a little weird. So if try wrapping again and it hits temp, it is technically done even though the temp plummets when you take off the wrap?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

We do have a Central Market near us and we frequently go there for meat so I’ll have to check there if I can get the wife on board. Bonus points if the 3yo will even allow it on his plate after we tell him what it is.

I just ended up calling any meat 'steak' because my kids would eat steak. Just call it fish.

I made a leg of lab for mothers day and just called it steak even though my kids are 9 and 7 now. Pretty sure the 7 year old would have given it the stink-eye if I had called it lamb.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I guess that explains why my pulled pork came out a little weird. So if try wrapping again and it hits temp, it is technically done even though the temp plummets when you take off the wrap?

Yep. It’s done when it hits temp, even if it subsequently cools off - it’s not like you’re bringing it back to 203 after resting it, right? Cooling after hitting target doesn’t suddenly make it not done, whether the cooling is evaporative or from rest time.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Kalman posted:

Yep. It’s done when it hits temp, even if it subsequently cools off - it’s not like you’re bringing it back to 203 after resting it, right? Cooling after hitting target doesn’t suddenly make it not done, whether the cooling is evaporative or from rest time.

Lesson learned for me. Beyond just being more moist, if I had ridden out that first crutch I'd have been done like four hours earlier. :smith:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Will give crutching pulled pork one more chance and see how it turns out. It did seem like it shaved off a good chunk of cook time...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any recommended pulled pork method to try on my kamado joe? I've done this one for my first two tries https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/recipes/carolina-pulled-pork/ but I want to try a different method. The 300 degrees, the super charred fat cap diced up and mixed in, plus the Lexington mop sauce been unique but want to see what else I should try. I didn't use the same rub or Tang sauce in the recipe.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Any recommended pulled pork method to try on my kamado joe? I've done this one for my first two tries https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/recipes/carolina-pulled-pork/ but I want to try a different method. The 300 degrees, the super charred fat cap diced up and mixed in, plus the Lexington mop sauce been unique but want to see what else I should try. I didn't use the same rub or Tang sauce in the recipe.

Honestly there’s not a whole ton of variety when it comes to pulled pork shoulder. Use mop sauce or don’t, add bbq before rub or don’t, bottom line is the smoke and the temp and how much fat you leave on there.

Personally I don’t add any sauce before rubbing and I don’t mop or spritz or anything in between and I’ve had a pretty good go with pulled pork. Sometimes I use Meat Church rub but sometimes I’ll make my own. Recently I did it in sous vide for 24 hours and then smoker 2-3 to firm up the bark, family came over and a bunch of them asked to take some home. My wife in particular constantly asks me to make my pulled pork.

Again not a lot of variation in my mind, do it to taste and if you wanna use mop or don’t, great; bbq sauce before rub, fine. What can gently caress it up is if it gets dry or overdone or hell, not done enough.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 9, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'll probably just try this which I used pre-smoker https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe/ He uses a 5-6lb one at 225, but I think I'll have two ~8lbs. How long might that take at 250? Everything always seems to take longer and we eat too late. Going to have hungry people waiting.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's no way to tell for sure, so your best bet is to start as early as possible and if you hit the goal early, simply wrap it up and keep it in a cooler with towels so it stays warm. Don't let it get below 145.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Once upon a time, I remember a recipe floating around here for a pulled pit beef that was cooked in a pan, I think, with onions and peppers. Once done, it was shredded up, placed on a roll with melted cheese and served up sandwich style. My google/searching fu is weak but does anyone have a link?

edit - Found it! I was thinking of the Stout Pepper Beef - https://tvwbb.com/threads/pepper-stout-beef.2848

qutius fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 9, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That recipe sounds good! This morning I discovered that leftover brisket with diced potatoes, peppers, onions and scrambled eggs is the breakfast of kings. Is there anything that leftover brisket doesn't make better?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there anything that leftover brisket doesn't make better?

My desire to eat anything else!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Enos Cabell posted:

That recipe sounds good! This morning I discovered that leftover brisket with diced potatoes, peppers, onions and scrambled eggs is the breakfast of kings. Is there anything that leftover brisket doesn't make better?

Found it! I was thinking of the Stout Pepper Beef - https://tvwbb.com/threads/pepper-stout-beef.2848

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a deck mat for their grill/smoker they recommend? I see lots of reviews saying various ones stain their composite decking or that they don't protect from dropped charcoal (I don't really see how that could happen but I've heard it's worth protecting).

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 10, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i vote just getting some attractive stone or tiles from your local big box if that’s a concern

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'd prefer a relatively even/flat surface so no stubbed toes or anything to trip on.

I'm also looking for things to add to my wedding registry so any ideas are welcome. I have a Kamado Big Joe II. Other than things like spatula or tongs, only accessory I have is the Joetisserie.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

how big of a surface are you looking to cover? i can’t imagine spilling a bunch of charcoal far enough away from the grill that a quarter inch tile is going to present a tripping hazard. most of the mats i see would also melt at some point

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

do you have a stone/steel for doing flatbreads/pizzas on? might be a good registry option

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

mediaphage posted:

do you have a stone/steel for doing flatbreads/pizzas on? might be a good registry option

I went to add the Big Joe soapstone, but it says it's currently unavailable on amazon unfortunately.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there anything that leftover brisket doesn't make better?

Ability to pass bowel movements?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a deck mat for their grill/smoker they recommend? I see lots of reviews saying various ones stain their composite decking or that they don't protect from dropped charcoal (I don't really see how that could happen but I've heard it's worth protecting).

After a couple of small charcoal spills on my wood deck I went and bought just whatever was at the Blue Big Box Tool Store. My thinking is that I don't think it needs to be 100% charcoal proof, it just needs to give me a little time to deal with it.

It's made of fiber cement board and should be moderately fire resistant.

http://www.grillpad.com/our-products/the-original-grill-pad/

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I remembered the Stout Pepper Beef, I made the Stout Pepper Beef:

Prime chuck roast from Costco, rubbed down the night before and on the smoke for a bit:

Ready for the spa, on a bed of onions, peppers, jalapenos, garlic, stout, worcestershire, and a slash of both soy and fish sauce:

Checking tenderness after a couple hours covered with foil:

Another hour, started to shred up and mix with the sauce, back on uncovered:

Time to start putting over direct heat to thicken the sauce, made for an incredible sandwhich for dinner:

First cook with the Fireboard - the kettle + slow n sear was rock solid today, as usual. Great day to work from home and smoke up some dinner. I took the probes out of the roasts when they hit about 165 or so, a let the pit get hot once I was ready to cook down the sauce but spent no time at all messing with the temps today

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Looking good! I was pretty happy with the couple of chuck roasts I did this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
God I love that stupid beef